Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

"Why laws for england shold be written in common speak and not in all this law language like commas and atrophies and poo poo," by Nigel, age 51.

Yeah but I mean a lot of people have trouble with spelling or writing, and unless they're calling someone else out over it I'm not gonna have a go at them. If anything it gives them some 'real people, not slick politicians' credibility with the UKIP crowd, and ain't nobody getting won over by someone being patronising about all their mistakes like they're literally children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Crikey, I thought the cocaine thing and the rest was just a running joke about Osbourne, but just read this and it sounds dodgy as gently caress http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/george-osborne-natalie-rowe-police-2366160

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

"Why laws for england shold be written in common speak and not in all this law language like commas and atrophies and poo poo," by Nigel, age 51.

I'm fairly certain most laws are being written in common English on gov.uk anyway. https://www.gov.uk/browse/justice/rights

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Acaila posted:

Crikey, I thought the cocaine thing and the rest was just a running joke about Osbourne, but just read this and it sounds dodgy as gently caress http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/george-osborne-natalie-rowe-police-2366160

The police have been threatening kids not to tell about being raped by MPs and burying axes in people's skulls for the last three decades. This is a comparitively minor and understandable gross abuse of power.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Reveilled posted:

I think Sony's guy who apparently works closely with the current minister for Culture and Sport would know getting appointed as a minister is more involved than asking the CEO of the Carphone Warehouse to have a word with the Chancellor. I think phrases like "Operation: House of Spikes" "The game is afoot" and the actual use of the word "conspiring" suggest a facetious tone.

Ultimately yeah I guess this is down to opinion, but I doubt very much that a genuine plot to unseat a minister who is apparently extremely accomodating would consist of one dude and his pal's wife, and never be mentioned at all in any email before or afterward.

Nah it's not an opinion, anyone who thinks it isn't a joke between two guys who are friends is either on the autistic spectrum or willfully misreading the tone of the email.

Besides the current process is "Cameron uses an advanced predictive algorithm on a GCHQ super-computer to objectively determine the person in the country that would be the worst for the position and chooses them" anyway so who gives a gently caress?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Addz posted:

I'm fairly certain most laws are being written in common English on gov.uk anyway. https://www.gov.uk/browse/justice/rights
Plain English for laws is good. Bad English for laws isn't and introduces ambiguity.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Lawyers will try and make a case based on every single word in a law that might acquit their client.

There's many many books of caselaw of trials where a single word in a single sentence has been enough to get a retrial and acquittal.

Sometimes you need all the extra speak just to define what is and isn't.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

big scary monsters posted:

The interesting part of the story isn't really a high up Tory doing coke and associating with a sex worker, it's the apparent abuse of power in trying to cover it up.

This. The response to the photos suggests that something very embarrassing is going on and the abuse of power is awful. I honestly don't think it matters what a politician did when they were young if theyre doing their job competently (which Osbourne is assuming his job is to shrink the state and gently caress the economy). I mean so many people have messed about with hard drugs when they were young, it really shouldn't matter, not that the mail readers would view it like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

StoneOfShame posted:

This. The response to the photos suggests that something very embarrassing is going on and the abuse of power is awful. I honestly don't think it matters what a politician did when they were young if theyre doing their job competently (which Osbourne is assuming his job is to shrink the state and gently caress the economy). I mean so many people have messed about with hard drugs when they were young, it really shouldn't matter, not that the mail readers would view it like that.

Well it's the hypocrisy is the thing, isn't it? He can get away with it and indeed use the peelers to suppress someone talking to the press, the rest of us would, if we're respectable, be told not to do it again, and if we're not, have our life destroyed. Osbourne totally supports that. Plus we've seen him in the Commons looking completely off his tits on something so it's not exactly a stretch to think he's still snorting, though admittedly it might now be the ground-up bones of children he has caused the starvation of.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I never knew political spending in the UK was this concentrated:

Article: 76 people 'made 41% of donations'
Date: April 18, 2015

quote:

Just 76 people accounted for 41% of all individual and corporate donations made to the political parties and other political causes in Britain over the past five years, it has been reported.

The first Sunday Times Political Rich List, published this weekend, found that 25 individuals had given more than £1 million each, accounting for 28% of £174.4 million donated in private and corporate cash between 2010 and 2014.

The list is topped by the Scottish EuroMillions lottery winners Colin and Chris Weir who together gave £6.5 million to the SNP and the Yes Scotland campaign, the paper said.

They are followed by the City financier Lord Farmer, who gave more than £5 million to the Conservatives, while JCB chairman Lord Bamford and other members of his family, were said to have given the Tories a combined total of £3.6 million.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Accretionist posted:

I never knew political spending in the UK was this concentrated:

Article: 76 people 'made 41% of donations'
Date: April 18, 2015

Interesting that they chose 41% as the line and then counted up the people. I wonder if they looked at a graph and decided that particular percentile was the most shocking

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_RonXv8u78

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Mister Adequate posted:

Well it's the hypocrisy is the thing, isn't it? He can get away with it and indeed use the peelers to suppress someone talking to the press, the rest of us would, if we're respectable, be told not to do it again, and if we're not, have our life destroyed. Osbourne totally supports that. Plus we've seen him in the Commons looking completely off his tits on something so it's not exactly a stretch to think he's still snorting, though admittedly it might now be the ground-up bones of children he has caused the starvation of.

That and the fact that if a Labour minister got caught doing the same, he'd be lynched by the press, who are also doing coke with sex workers.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My breaking news feed listed this as noteworthy, "David Cameron to announce Lloyds shares will be offered at below-market prices if Conservatives win election". Is this offering a discount on buying shares of Lloyds really a big deal or is it more like news filler?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

My breaking news feed listed this as noteworthy, "David Cameron to announce Lloyds shares will be offered at below-market prices if Conservatives win election". Is this offering a discount on buying shares of Lloyds really a big deal or is it more like news filler?

It's selling off public assests at cut rate prices in order to try and woo people since the stock will immediately rise afterwards and it'll be free money for anyone that buys the stock.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That makes it sound like a bribe.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
for people buying £1,000 to £10,000 of the shares, to be precise, if you had any doubt about the intended demographic of this carrot

e:

RandomPauI posted:

there's a facially legitimate justification, in the sense of ensuring a wider representation of small shareholders as a political vision in itself. This used to be a popular way to formalize the intuition of a nation of shopkeepers in a contemporary age

announced at this time, though, it's obviously an electoral carrot

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 19, 2015

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

yep.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the new party of the working class, by which we mean wage labour who are nonetheless earning a sufficiently high wage that they're hostile to working class identity politics

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'd have hoped people would be nothing but relieved these days to hear of MPs having sex with consenting adults and doing a bit of drugs :confused:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KKKlean Energy posted:

Interesting that they chose 41% as the line and then counted up the people. I wonder if they looked at a graph and decided that particular percentile was the most shocking

No, it's because the Times is owned by Murdoch and he's 77th.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Having to move back to England from Scotland and man the rental system here absolutely loving sucks.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Looks like Right to Buy II isn't going down so well, although raising the inheritance tax threshold is:

Pesmerga posted:

Having to move back to England from Scotland and man the rental system here absolutely loving sucks.
What are the big differences you're finding (other than lettings agency fees being banned in Scotland but not England)?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/who-said-it-katie-hopkins-or-stormfront--xkC9MQ8Kvg?js=false

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LemonDrizzle posted:

Looks like Right to Buy II isn't going down so well, although raising the inheritance tax threshold is:

It's because people think Inheritance Tax is somehow "being taxed twice". Even though VAT and other taxes are "taxing you twice".

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

What are the big differences you're finding (other than lettings agency fees being banned in Scotland but not England)?

That's the main one. In particular the range of fees, including some rental agencies having 'checkout fees', which I'm not entirely sure they should be doing, refusal to break down the actual administrative costs to show why they're so high, in some cases wanting multiple referees before renting, etc etc. A lot more bureaucracy, with the main justification being to try and gouge as much money out of you as possible.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pesmerga posted:

That's the main one. In particular the range of fees, including some rental agencies having 'checkout fees', which I'm not entirely sure they should be doing, refusal to break down the actual administrative costs to show why they're so high, in some cases wanting multiple referees before renting, etc etc. A lot more bureaucracy, with the main justification being to try and gouge as much money out of you as possible.

if you've got cash up front a lot of the ones I've interacted with are fairly flexible if you yell at a manager and then disappear for ages. No rent no bonuses.

Last time took a week of haggling and a lot of "but the fees are set in stone" before they finally caved and removed everything except the admin fee, but it's possible. Of course this is beside the point that the whole practice is morally reprehensible and should be banned.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Spangly A posted:

if you've got cash up front a lot of the ones I've interacted with are fairly flexible if you yell at a manager and then disappear for ages. No rent no bonuses.

Last time took a week of haggling and a lot of "but the fees are set in stone" before they finally caved and removed everything except the admin fee, but it's possible. Of course this is beside the point that the whole practice is morally reprehensible and should be banned.

Agreed. It's enough to get me to vote Labour that they're stating that they will end tenancy fees in England and Wales.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1545969.ece

quote:

ED MILIBAND will fast-track rail renationalisation if Labour wins power, launching a review of the franchising system in his first 100 days.
Miliband plans to let the public sector bid against private train firms to provide services in a change that Labour says will deliver a better deal for passengers and taxpayers.
A Labour government could even suspend the existing franchising process while a review takes place — a move that will anger train firms eyeing lucrative deals. “We will look very closely at suspending the franchising process while this urgent review is conducted,” a party source said.
Labour points to the success of the east coast main line to justify its plan to let the public sector compete for rail franchises. Taken over by the government as a last-ditch measure in 2009, it made £1bn for taxpayers and managed some of the best customer satisfaction ratings on the network before the coalition put it out to tender.
By contrast, a west coast franchise fiasco cost taxpayers £50m after ministers in 2012 scrapped a decision to hand FirstGroup control of the line in a £5bn deal. Labour calculates that what it calls rushed and badly negotiated deals have since cost taxpayers another £300m.
The shadow transport secretary, Michael Dugher, said: “Labour will call time on flawed franchising with a speedy review of the whole system.”
Keep this dangerous Red militant out of government!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1545969.ece

Keep this dangerous Red militant out of in government forever!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yesss force the Tories to defend privatised rail

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Phoon posted:

Yesss force the Tories to defend privatised rail

I have no idea why they've waited this long to start beating the Tories over the head with it.

Renationalization is a policy with overwhelming public support, and there's no real way to oppose it without stating "We're not going to do it because we make a lot of money from it".

Labour should be cramming it down the throats of the Tories at every given opportunity.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
They proposed that policy last year and people moaned that it wasn't good enough i.e not full nationalisation.
Funny how elections change people's outlook.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think the official review and putting the franchising on hold is new, and pushing nationalising railways as a big deal is good politicking and puts the tories on the back foot

E: its obviously not as good as immediate full nationalisation but declaring full nationalisation would be extremely risky, as it would allow the Tories to attack as an unfunded spending spree which is their greatest weakness in public perception and what labour are working hard this election to avoid. This way they get positives from the people who want nationalisation without the risk.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 19, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesmerga posted:

It's so transparent too; I had to pay almost £500 in fees for my current place and the fees for references and credit check were a percentage of the monthly rent. Because I guess the cost of making two phone calls varies depending on how big a sucker your tenant is.

Anyone know what's up with all the military choppers flying into Wales today? Between a couple of my friends of Facebook we've seen about 20 over Bath and Bristol - Chinooks, Apaches, Wildcats, Merlins. I didn't think Plaid Cymru posed that big a threat to the establishment.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Labour is to raise the prospect of further parts of the rail network being taken back into public ownership when it announces plans to subject franchises to a competitive bid between the state and private sector as they come up for renewal.

But Ed Miliband will anger rail unions and some Labour MPs in the announcement next week by ruling out proposals that all expired franchises under a Labour government be returned automatically to the public sector – which would amount to a form of staggered renationalisation.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/03/rail-network-franchises-labour-plan

July last year. Notice the positioning. The election had to be closer before those parties - the rail unions and Labour backbenchers - would shut up.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Anyone know what's up with all the military choppers flying into Wales today? Between a couple of my friends of Facebook we've seen about 20 over Bath and Bristol - Chinooks, Apaches, Wildcats, Merlins. I didn't think Plaid Cymru posed that big a threat to the establishment.

Something to do with all the fires, maybe?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Training exercise: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/military-helicopters-over-south-wales-9071451

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
loving hell. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/19/700-migrants-feared-dead-mediterranean-shipwreck-worst-yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
edit: nm

• Locked thread