Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

I like this. Am I missing how to change the thread title, or is it mod only?

PM a mod, unless one is reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Done.

In other news, I need to post my two rounds from Wednesday. Got to play 36 at a pretty sweet course.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I payed 9 holes today with my mom, sister and brother. A round of golf with them is pretty funny now that I actually sit back and think about it.

My brother plays probably 3-4 times a year, has a really pretty swing, but awful short game and not great control off the tee. That said, he talks constantly. During your practice swings, real swings, putts, it doesn't matter, he just has to yap, normally about everything but golf.

My mom is a total head case, she actually can play pretty well, but she hits one or two bad shots and completely unravels and goes through like two notepads worth of 'notes' from her latest lesson. Then it's all over, she's got a million swing thoughts in her head and can't right the ship.

My sister has played 3 or 4 times since high school(12 years ago), but has ridiculous club head speed for a 30 year old woman who's honestly pretty helpless when it comes to anything involving physical strength. But she got a hold of a couple today, including hitting a green from 150 yards away with a 6 iron, which I think is pretty dang good distance for a girl who never plays.

Anyways, any MN people probably know it was mother windy today. Had to be 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30. Absolutely ridiculous, I had one drive get up in the wind and start coming backwards.

That said, it was a really enjoyable round with the fam, I shot a 38 with a couple bad bogies in there. The course was only 3200 yards from the back tees, but that included a 260 yard par three that was playing slightly into the breeze :stare:. I absolutely crushed a 5 wood that was hit pretty straight, it started about 20 yards right of the green and ended up 20 yards left.

First hole was a short par 5 that was playing cross breeze on the drive and then down wind on the second shot. I was 170 yards to the pin with the wind at my back and I hit a PW 20 yards over the flag :psyduck:. It got way up in the air and instead of getting knocked down it just flew.

Pretty happy overall though, really struck the ball well with my irons, putting was decent, driver was a bit off in the wind though.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I payed 9 holes today with my mom, sister and brother. A round of golf with them is pretty funny now that I actually sit back and think about it.

My brother plays probably 3-4 times a year, has a really pretty swing, but awful short game and not great control off the tee. That said, he talks constantly. During your practice swings, real swings, putts, it doesn't matter, he just has to yap, normally about everything but golf.

My mom is a total head case, she actually can play pretty well, but she hits one or two bad shots and completely unravels and goes through like two notepads worth of 'notes' from her latest lesson. Then it's all over, she's got a million swing thoughts in her head and can't right the ship.

My sister has played 3 or 4 times since high school(12 years ago), but has ridiculous club head speed for a 30 year old woman who's honestly pretty helpless when it comes to anything involving physical strength. But she got a hold of a couple today, including hitting a green from 150 yards away with a 6 iron, which I think is pretty dang good distance for a girl who never plays.

Anyways, any MN people probably know it was mother windy today. Had to be 15-20 mph with gusts up to 30. Absolutely ridiculous, I had one drive get up in the wind and start coming backwards.

That said, it was a really enjoyable round with the fam, I shot a 38 with a couple bad bogies in there. The course was only 3200 yards from the back tees, but that included a 260 yard par three that was playing slightly into the breeze :stare:. I absolutely crushed a 5 wood that was hit pretty straight, it started about 20 yards right of the green and ended up 20 yards left.

First hole was a short par 5 that was playing cross breeze on the drive and then down wind on the second shot. I was 170 yards to the pin with the wind at my back and I hit a PW 20 yards over the flag :psyduck:. It got way up in the air and instead of getting knocked down it just flew.

Pretty happy overall though, really struck the ball well with my irons, putting was decent, driver was a bit off in the wind though.

It was insanely windy today for sure. I go to a range that sits on top of a bluff / huge hill by the river and if I tried to hit any type of normal "traj" wedge shots the ball would literally start to fall backwards. It was great practice for flighted shots though. What course were you at?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dad's 61st bday was Saturday so I took him to one of his favorite courses. Beautiful day out and we had a great time and he shot one of his lowest scores of the year.

Here have some pics and videos :)

I shot 80 and he shot 88. Neither of us have played for about 3 weeks, I should have been lower except for my one big fuckup on the front nine and the 2 3 putts I had. It's a very links style course in that it's wide open and unusual for florida, not built in between a bunch of houses. About a 45 minute drive for us but you can usually get on for about $20-30 in the summer, we're still in winter rates now so it was $40, still not too bad, free range balls to! For all your northerners still stuck in winter, all that green stuff you see is indeed grass. :)

Pops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJZgcko1TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3p2sCkUhKo

Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYSjWGFaKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51uGCQmU2A

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

Dad's 61st bday was Saturday so I took him to one of his favorite courses. Beautiful day out and we had a great time and he shot one of his lowest scores of the year.

I shot 80 and he shot 88. Neither of us have played for about 3 weeks, I should have been lower except for my one big fuckup on the front nine and the 2 3 putts I had. It's a very links style course in that it's wide open and unusual for florida, not built in between a bunch of houses. About a 45 minute drive for us but you can usually get on for about $20-30 in the summer, we're still in winter rates now so it was $40, still not too bad, free range balls to! For all your northerners still stuck in winter, all that green stuff you see is indeed grass. :)

Pops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJZgcko1TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3p2sCkUhKo

Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYSjWGFaKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51uGCQmU2A

cool

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat mattfl that looks gorgeous

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Edit: royal St. Cloud is pretty sweet. Heard it's already getting pretty hot down in orlando--hope you get a few more weeks before the heat and humidity roll in.

EnsGDT posted:

Things that are jumping out to me:

Your left hand grip (can't quite get a good view of it) looks a little weak to me.

Check it at set up and see how it looks, cause I can't really see it.

Your set up posture and hands are really close to your body, which is pushing your weight back on to your heels.

This is the grip and posture video that I always go back to for my swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UdyBiJcS4

Club face looks a little closed at this point in your swing. That's on the way up, btw.

Try those things and see what happens.

Fair warning, I am not a teaching professional, I'm just basing these off my swing checkpoints that I look for when I practice :)

Thanks for the thoughts! One thing though. A stronger left hand grip would probably make my club face even more closed, so I think I'm ok on that. My left hand grip is basically neutral.

My issue tends to be that I don't take the club up enough and my arms get disconnected from my body (that's why there's a little bit of backing out on the downswing).

Right now, I really like my takeaway except I need to get the face square rather than closed.

Played this weekend, didn't score that great but had some good stuff working. My iron game is getting really top notch right now. I'm hitting lots of greens and getting more than a few inside 15 feet.

My driver/woods were erratic until the last few holes. I was rotating too much and getting overly flat.

After the round, I went out to the range and seemed to get things back in order. I try to feel like jb Holmes on the backswing, then just let the club drop on the downswing.

Really hoping the weather holds up for this weekend. I'm going to go play Sage Valley, and it would suck if it rained the whole time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Edit: royal St. Cloud is pretty sweet. Heard it's already getting pretty hot down in orlando--hope you get a few more weeks before the heat and humidity roll in.

It hit almost 90 when we were out saturday and the humidity wasn't too bad. Having been golfing in Florida the past 10 years or so, the heat and humidity doesn't bother me that much anymore. They key is to stay hydrated, i usually go through multiple bottles of water during a round and a few Gatorades.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Stop making fun of his hair you assholes :mad:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My wife wants learn to play golf and is taking her first lesson on Thursday. She's never swung a club in her life. Any recommendations for clubs? I don't want to invest a lot, so I would probaly buy them used on Ebay.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mattfl posted:

This is awesome, as soon as you said 'very links style course /unusual for Florida' I thought, 'I bet that's Royal St. Cloud!'.

I played there with my Dad about 5 years ago while we were on vacation in Orlando, I much preferred that course to the other ones that weave through the housing developments. Isn't there a red british phone booth on the course somewhere?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

This is awesome, as soon as you said 'very links style course /unusual for Florida' I thought, 'I bet that's Royal St. Cloud!'.

I played there with my Dad about 5 years ago while we were on vacation in Orlando, I much preferred that course to the other ones that weave through the housing developments. Isn't there a red british phone booth on the course somewhere?

There is!

So this course is basically made of up of 3 nines. Red, blue and white, you play a combination of the two for your 18. On the 7th hole on each course is one of those red phone booths which you use to order food that you pickup on your way past the clubhouse to your back 9.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

daslog posted:

My wife wants learn to play golf and is taking her first lesson on Thursday. She's never swung a club in her life. Any recommendations for clubs? I don't want to invest a lot, so I would probaly buy them used on Ebay.

what about something like this??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-St...=item51cbaf7f5b

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I realize the answer is "get fitted" but...

My playing partner is convinced that my '09 Callaway X-Forged irons (Graphite Stiff, +1/2") are too difficult for me to play. While I disagree with him I'm willing to humor him and check out some used irons that I could possibly replace them with. At this moment I'm looking at the TM Rocketbladesz or Wilson Staff D100.

I'm not a decent golfer by any means. I played varsity golf in high school and took lessons and was able to fade/draw on command back in the day. In the many years since then, I've lost that touch. My HC is 20 and my club speed is in the 90-100 range. I can hit my irons straight about 80% of the time however my miss hits are pretty bad. No real difference between my short and long irons, but I tend to hit my long irons slightly better.

Are there any other irons I should be looking at? If I'm going to upgrade I'm looking for something more on the forgiveness side than distance or control. I'm hoping to keep this under $250.

Also does anyone have any recommendations in the Northern VA area for lessons or to get fitted?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 17, 2015

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I can't imagine that new irons will noticeably improve your game. Spend that money on some lessons. Speak to a few different PGA professionals to see if you click with any. I took lessons from 3 different people before I found one that I liked.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

normally i would agree with the "don't get new clubs, get a lesson" mantra but a 20 handicapper playing blades isn't exactly ideal

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm going to the new PGA Superstore they opened in Orlando tomorrow(http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/index.jsp) with a friend. He works in sales and has a lot of opportunities at his work to golf with people but has never really golfed seriously before. Told him, let's go get you fit and get a decent set of game improvement irons and start coming out with me and I'll help him out. Told him to figure $3-500 for a decent set of irons from the store and we'll find out what sort of driver he needs and find a cheap/used one on eBay. Told him if he wants to get better and actually serious about the game, getting fit is the best thing to do and will save him the hassle of buying a new set in the long run when he outgrows whatever lovely set he was going to spend $200 on at target. I think I'm gonna hit some new drivers and see if I like anything better than my Covert Tour I have now. Anything specific I should hit? Vapor Tour and the new Ping driver are high on my list.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Beating a dead horse, but lessons, then getting professionally fitted, is what has made the difference for me :). In that order.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Up at half 5 on Saturday morning to get out on the golf course tomorrow, not had time to arrange a lesson yet but I'm going to take a pragmatic approach, never played the course we are visiting tomorrow so I'm gonna give myself a target of 120.

Early night tonight, the things you do for golf.

Edit: Enjoyable game of Golf today, I hit a modest 112, under my target but my driving and irons were mostly on point today, putting was the weak point though, fluffed many 2 putts :cry:

Highlights were getting out of my only sand trap shot in one go on the 1st hole, out-driving my golfing partner (who hit 81) on 2 holes and giving myself a birdie chance from 8 feet on a par 3 which unfortunately turned into a bogey

That 100 is coming!

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 18, 2015

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I don't watch lots of golf, much less LPGA, but I just saw Sei Young Kim chip in on the 18th to force a playoff and then hole out for eagle from 150 to win.

Insane

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drowningidiot posted:

I don't watch lots of golf, much less LPGA, but I just saw Sei Young Kim chip in on the 18th to force a playoff and then hole out for eagle from 150 to win.

Insane
I watched it lived. I cheered when she chipped in to force the playoff.

In Bee Park didn't seem very happy for her.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp : hit the range briefly today.

My left hand had the surgery 3 weeks 2 days ago. Right hand a week and 2 days ago.

The results : not good. I lack the strength in my hands to keep hold of the club properly during a swing. I can basically feel in my hand the clubface making contact with the ball and turning at impact. This happens with any shot at %75 power or higher.

The good news is there's no shooting pains through anything at least.

I might try again wednesday, and bring my rain gloves and get them wet before.

League starts in a week. Damnit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drowningidiot posted:

Insane

Video for those that missed it. It was spectacular.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Nerdrock posted:

Welp : hit the range briefly today.

My left hand had the surgery 3 weeks 2 days ago. Right hand a week and 2 days ago.

The results : not good. I lack the strength in my hands to keep hold of the club properly during a swing. I can basically feel in my hand the clubface making contact with the ball and turning at impact. This happens with any shot at %75 power or higher.

The good news is there's no shooting pains through anything at least.

I might try again wednesday, and bring my rain gloves and get them wet before.

League starts in a week. Damnit.

It's been pretty windy here lately and my home course has been mobbed with people so I've been hitting lots of extra balls and experimenting with random stuff. And I found that hitting a 75% sand wedge gives me better results than a full lob wedge most of the time, 75% PW is also really reliable and I can hit really big draws doing that if I try. So maybe not taking full swings and using an extra club could work for you until you're fully healed up.

After playing four days in a row, the forecast for this week looks like poo poo so I'm glad I squeezed that much golf in. I'm averaging a bit better than bogey golf so far which is about where I was at the end of last season so I'm happy I didn't fall apart over the winter.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Suprfli6 posted:

It's been pretty windy here lately and my home course has been mobbed with people so I've been hitting lots of extra balls and experimenting with random stuff. And I found that hitting a 75% sand wedge gives me better results than a full lob wedge most of the time, 75% PW is also really reliable and I can hit really big draws doing that if I try. So maybe not taking full swings and using an extra club could work for you until you're fully healed up.

After playing four days in a row, the forecast for this week looks like poo poo so I'm glad I squeezed that much golf in. I'm averaging a bit better than bogey golf so far which is about where I was at the end of last season so I'm happy I didn't fall apart over the winter.

Yeah. My super short clubs were the only ones I could hit with any relative consistency compared to the others. My new TM SLDR irons came with a 56 so I traded my cleveland to my friend who only had a 60 (that he'd won in our local watering hole's tournament last year). I can stick that 60 a flat 50 yards away like a madman. At least that's something.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

I'm going to the new PGA Superstore they opened in Orlando tomorrow(http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/index.jsp) with a friend. He works in sales and has a lot of opportunities at his work to golf with people but has never really golfed seriously before. Told him, let's go get you fit and get a decent set of game improvement irons and start coming out with me and I'll help him out. Told him to figure $3-500 for a decent set of irons from the store and we'll find out what sort of driver he needs and find a cheap/used one on eBay. Told him if he wants to get better and actually serious about the game, getting fit is the best thing to do and will save him the hassle of buying a new set in the long run when he outgrows whatever lovely set he was going to spend $200 on at target. I think I'm gonna hit some new drivers and see if I like anything better than my Covert Tour I have now. Anything specific I should hit? Vapor Tour and the new Ping driver are high on my list.

Vapour Tour is pretty beast. However, while I didn't like the R15 so much (I use an R1) the new burner is pretty legit feeling. The D15 was also nice feeling.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Good news and bad news dudes.

Good news: I just got offered a new job at a new company that will be a substantial pay increase, better bonus, more vacation and closer to home/my golf course , so I think I can justify getting a golf membership this year!!!

Bad news: That means I'll be posting a bunch of golfshot scorecards and round write-ups that you suckers will have to read/ignore :getin:

I did go to the range last week and was hitting the ball better than I have in like two years, but there was some guy who was hitting next to me that just kept watching me and everytime I hit anything longer than a PW he would say, "Wow you're really hitting it well. I used to be a 10 handicap but something is wrong this year, I just can't seem to make good contact." I was polite and chatted with him a bit, but just let me enjoy this(most likely) fleeting groove that I'm in guy :(.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DoctaFun posted:

Good news: I just got offered a new job at a new company that will be a substantial pay increase, better bonus, more vacation and closer to home/my golf course , so I think I can justify getting a golf membership this year!!!

Bad news: That means I'll be posting a bunch of golfshot scorecards and round write-ups that you suckers will have to read/ignore :getin:

I did go to the range last week and was hitting the ball better than I have in like two years, but there was some guy who was hitting next to me that just kept watching me and everytime I hit anything longer than a PW he would say, "Wow you're really hitting it well. I used to be a 10 handicap but something is wrong this year, I just can't seem to make good contact." I was polite and chatted with him a bit, but just let me enjoy this(most likely) fleeting groove that I'm in guy :(.

Well done. I look forward to ignoring your golfshot scorecards and round write-ups.

On another note. Kiawah Island Ocean Course in game for next Tuesday! Get to see if I can beat my astonishingly low scoring round from last year, a whopping 93!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats Docta! :toot:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Excellent! Now we can get a round or three in this season! Where are you thinking of joining up, StoneRidge again?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could be a decent weekend golfer again if I'd remember to not poo poo my pants and blackout 4+ times per round. I wasn't even drinking either, Meh.

Golfshot.com app

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 21, 2015

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What app are you guys using to track your scores?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

daslog posted:

What app are you guys using to track your scores?

Golfshot and I use the free version. Gives GPS and tracks handicap.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I have the driver yips and I'm literally going to kill myself.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Excellent! Now we can get a round or three in this season! Where are you thinking of joining up, StoneRidge again?

I hope we can! Once I get my game up to snuff we will have to do it this year.

And yeah, I was gonna join StoneRidge again. I think for under 35 they have the best membership deal in town if you are looking for a really good course, challenging course. And it's on my side of town.

Only other place I was considering was Mississippi Dunes, but that's a bit further of a drive for me.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

I have the driver yips and I'm literally going to kill myself.

That feel when you prefer a 2 iron over a driver :(

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I carried my 5i 210 yards off the tee on a hole this weekend and it really drove home how rarely I make perfect contact with my longer clubs. I could probably swing a 2 iron 10 times without hitting it further than 210. The funny thing is, there were some drunk guys about to tee off on a parallel hole and I was afraid I'd get beaned by one of their shots so I teed up and took a swing as quickly as possible. I was just trying to make decent contact so I could get out of the danger zone and hit the best shot with that club that I've ever had. Maybe I have a future in speed golf?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

I carried my 5i 210 yards off the tee on a hole this weekend and it really drove home how rarely I make perfect contact with my longer clubs. I could probably swing a 2 iron 10 times without hitting it further than 210. The funny thing is, there were some drunk guys about to tee off on a parallel hole and I was afraid I'd get beaned by one of their shots so I teed up and took a swing as quickly as possible. I was just trying to make decent contact so I could get out of the danger zone and hit the best shot with that club that I've ever had. Maybe I have a future in speed golf?

Speed golf is the way to go. I play so much better when I can play fast it's not even funny. The problem is you never have that opportunity in competitive golf, try playing in any tournament of any kind and you will spend a lot of time waiting to hit :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just started a seasonal job working on the grounds for one of Denver's golf courses. One of the perks is that I get to play for free on any of the city's nine golf courses, but I've never ever played before (I was on a driving range once and swung at balls in like...2000 or so when I was 13).

I've asked my housemate who does play to show me how if he ever wants to check out the course in Evergreen. What am I about to get myself into?