Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012

Skeezy posted:

You having T-Mobile buy your Verizon contact out? Because if so you need to give them the old phones for that.

I'm month to month w/ verizon, so no contract to buy out--but good point.

Endless Mike posted:

1) T-Mobile reserves the right to throttle after 5 GB, but it's probably only to happen when the network is congested. It's right in the terms.

2) Generally just searching for info on them (both the phone and the carrier). GSMArena.com is a good place to search for phones, and Wikipedia lists the LTE bands in various lists. Apple lists the bands by model number on their website. No idea about Samsung, though it's probably there. I can tell you without even looking that you'll want to trade in the iPhone as it will not have LTE service and will have limited 3G.

Thanks for the tips.

Mr.Radar posted:

According to that giant grid on the Wikipedia Galaxy S4 article it looks like the situation with it will be the same as the iPhone: no LTE and limited 3G. Here are the bands you want for T-Mobile, listed in order of importance:
  • 2G GSM/EDGE: 1900 MHz
  • 3G UMTS/HSPA: 1700/2100 MHz (a.k.a. "1700", "AWS", "Band IV", "Band 4"), 1900 MHz (a.k.a. "Band II", "Band 2")
  • 4G LTE: band 4, band 2, band 12
Band 12 LTE is fairly new so don't expect to find it on any models from last year or earlier. T-Mobile also only has the licenses to deploy it in certain areas (and even within those areas they may be blocked from using it by TV stations broadcasting on channel 51) so don't let its absence be a deal-breaker for you.

It looks like I'm in an area that is deploying Band 12 soon. Good to know!

Burden posted:

1st. The 2 for $100 will get you unlimited high speed. It won't throttle. I use about 20 gigs a month and haven't been throttled. I see customers who use 100+ gigs a month and they haven't been throttled so you are good to go.

Your second question has been answered but yeah you won't get LTE but should get 3g without issue. I'd recommend trading in those phones to get T-Mobile phones. You'll have a better expierece and will get features like Wi-Fi calling and voice over LTE, and HD voice.

Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
Has anyone heard any updates about the Asus Zenfone 2's US launch date? Every day I google and find no news about it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Mango posted:

Has anyone heard any updates about the Asus Zenfone 2's US launch date? Every day I google and find no news about it.

April 28th is apparently some big announcement. That doesn't really tell us when the phone will be in people's hands though. I can say that I won one from Android Central, but Asus hasn't been able to ship them out to the winners yet. Supposedly next week.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm trying to do a thing where I can take advantage of Music Freedom on a Moto G LTE (US) for the least amount of money (i.e. cheapest plan.) I already have a phone with a different carrier and just want to use this device separately to have access to unlimited music streaming when WiFi isn't available or filters out the music services.

I ordered & received the SIM card, installed it, and went to the Connect Me page in the browser on the device with WiFi off. It just gives me a "We're sorry.... We were unable to complete your request." error. I can't activate online on a different device, as it asks for an activation code which isn't on any of the materials I received. (I got the SIM card, a packing slip, and a "SIM Starter Kit" trifold card (with nothing useful on it.) What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Is this being complicated by the fact that I also have a Chromebook that came with a T-Mobile SIM card for the 200 MB/month of free data? If I go to the Connect Me page on WiFi and sign into my existing account, it shows the Chromebook only.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Atomizer posted:

I'm trying to do a thing where I can take advantage of Music Freedom on a Moto G LTE (US) for the least amount of money (i.e. cheapest plan.) I already have a phone with a different carrier and just want to use this device separately to have access to unlimited music streaming when WiFi isn't available or filters out the music services.

I ordered & received the SIM card, installed it, and went to the Connect Me page in the browser on the device with WiFi off. It just gives me a "We're sorry.... We were unable to complete your request." error. I can't activate online on a different device, as it asks for an activation code which isn't on any of the materials I received. (I got the SIM card, a packing slip, and a "SIM Starter Kit" trifold card (with nothing useful on it.) What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Is this being complicated by the fact that I also have a Chromebook that came with a T-Mobile SIM card for the 200 MB/month of free data? If I go to the Connect Me page on WiFi and sign into my existing account, it shows the Chromebook only.
Did you purchase an activation kit or just a sim card? They aren't the same.
If you got the activation kit the code you need is on that trifold card.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It appears when I switched to T-Mobile last week, they screwed something up pretty bad. I brought two fully paid off devices (iPhone 6/Note 4) and financed one new iPhone 6 . After logging in and looking through my account, instead of attaching the EIP to the new iPhone we financed, they attached it to my fully paid for Note 4...

Is this as simple as going back and having them fix the issue? i.e. move the EIP from my owned Note 4 to the financed iPhone 6?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Surely it's cheaper and easier just to spend the money you're spending on a separate plan and phone for more data on your regular plan?

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
I'm in the Denver metro area. How quickly do you people who know more than I do think we might see LTE band 12 get deployed? I'm debating buying an iPhone 6 and the lack of band 12 support is disappointing. I usually keep my phones for about 2 to 3 years if that makes any difference. I'm not in dire need of an upgrade and am not above replacing my 4s's battery myself if needed.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

hotsauce posted:

It appears when I switched to T-Mobile last week, they screwed something up pretty bad. I brought two fully paid off devices (iPhone 6/Note 4) and financed one new iPhone 6 . After logging in and looking through my account, instead of attaching the EIP to the new iPhone we financed, they attached it to my fully paid for Note 4...

Is this as simple as going back and having them fix the issue? i.e. move the EIP from my owned Note 4 to the financed iPhone 6?

You'll basically have to return both and get new devices to resolve this. Sorry.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
This is different from hotsauce's situation, but I've had T-Mo CS change the IMEI of the phone on an EIP attached to my account before.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Did you purchase an activation kit or just a sim card? They aren't the same.
If you got the activation kit the code you need is on that trifold card.

I did not know there was a difference. The packing slip says I got a "BYOD PPD MBB MICROSIM CARD", and the trifold card has a 1D bar code with no characters beneath it; upon using a code reader it yields "TM6760V2" which is not an activation code.

The e-mail I received associated with the order states in part,

"Activation is quick and easy
For your tablet or hotspot, all you need is your SIM card and your tablet or hotspot."

Apparently this is not the case.... :saddowns:

Endless Mike posted:

Surely it's cheaper and easier just to spend the money you're spending on a separate plan and phone for more data on your regular plan?

I use a separate device as a media player intentionally for a few reasons: my phone is a Galaxy Note, which is a bit too large to carry in my pocket all the time, particularly at work; to protect my more expensive phone (I end up dropping the media player and bumping it into things at work, and have to replace it from time-to-time); to protect my data, as some of the time I will leave the media player out for co-workers to use (and also not having my phone tied up is ideal in this case.)

I end up streaming a LOT of music, upwards of 8-10 hours a day, at work or in the car; this chews up a LOT of data, which is why I'm interested in the unlimited streaming. Currently I use cached stations via Slacker Radio, and a couple of the streaming services that aren't blocked at work, but those have been compromises. The services available on Music Freedom would satisfy my needs.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I did not know there was a difference. The packing slip says I got a "BYOD PPD MBB MICROSIM CARD", and the trifold card has a 1D bar code with no characters beneath it; upon using a code reader it yields "TM6760V2" which is not an activation code.

The e-mail I received associated with the order states in part,

"Activation is quick and easy
For your tablet or hotspot, all you need is your SIM card and your tablet or hotspot."

Apparently this is not the case.... :saddowns:

Yeah, I think the problem is the sim you got is intended for a tablet or hotspot. If you order a sim for a phone, it ships in a different package with an activation code.

Last time they were giving out free sims, I ordered a phone sim and a tablet sim, and only the phone sim came with the code.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

hotsauce posted:

If you bought it at a store it's pretty much go back. They'll return them and then sell them right back to you with the correct phone one EIP. Should be pretty straight forward. Just bring your receipt. Make sure a manager is there so they can take off the restock fees.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Note 4 locally for $500. Checked the IMEI first (it was in a sealed box) it was clear, so I couldn't return it to the store.

Got it sorted today. They called their people, explained it about 5 times and it was fixed.

Somehow, the rep opened 3 lines, sold us a new iPhone on financing and ended up scanning the barcode of the Note 4 box, effectively attaching the EIP to the Note 4 I paid cash for. It was in their system as an EIP'd iPhone, but the IMEI was a Note 4. Very strange.

It's all fixed now.

Unfortunately for T-Mobile, I then canceled all 3 lines, returned the iPhone (ate the $50 restocking fee) and walked over to AT&T, ported all 3 lines back to AT&T.

Never have I had so many dropped, garbly calls in my life. Even on the Cellspot router. I also ran into serious issues with coverage (rural West US) and had hours of driving with zero data and often no signal at all. On AT&T, it was LTE 90% of the time and HSPA+ the other 10 (on these same drives).

I did look at coverage before switching, yes, but the dropped calls and overall issues I had were too much to gamble with. Also, the AT&T cost for 30gigs (+ data rollover) was within $20/month of T-Mo, so I bailed on the unlimited setup. 50megabytes of domestic roaming is not enough, period. Especially seeing as I can go to Europe and have a data buffet for free. AT&T has T-Mo by the balls in the US with rural data/coverage.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but in the desert boonies, T-Mobile is a serious no-go.

Edit: hold the champagne. Looks like it's not resolved

It's strange because the store manager checked the Note 4's IMEI in his system before I left and said "good to go! No balance and it's clear!"

Guess I have plans for Sunday...grumble. I really don't want to owe some phantom $630+ on a device I already paid $500 for. The iPhone that should have had the EIP attached to it has already been returned to the store. This makes me nervous...

One thing the manager said while on the phone with customer care was they not only released the IMEI from the mistaken EIP attachment, but they will email me an unlock code so I can take the Note 4 to AT&T. I'm skeptical, but hope all of this shakes out as resolved on Monday.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 19, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're not a jerk. You're just someone who has a specific use case that T-Mobile doesn't work for.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Yea, I like tmobile and all, but I also carry an AT&T phone for worK and there is a pretty big discrepancy when you are in rural areas. For most people it doesn't matter, but if you spend much time there it's worth the extra money.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Im going to be getting the 5gb 100 minute talk time plan, is it possible to do hangouts voice dialing over network only (only using data) and not use minutes?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

Im going to be getting the 5gb 100 minute talk time plan, is it possible to do hangouts voice dialing over network only (only using data) and not use minutes?

Yes. You just have to tell people to call the right number.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
If I buy the LG G2 D800 (AT&T), is it possible to get wifi calling through T-Mobile working?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mr. Bubbles posted:

If I buy the LG G2 D800 (AT&T), is it possible to get wifi calling through T-Mobile working?

Short answer is no. You could root and flash an XDA creation that's an AT&T ROM with WiFi calling shoehorned in, but I'm betting that's jank city.

I finally got TMobile to resolve the EIP issue. The store ended up linking the phantom balance to some poor soul who didn't yet notice. Customer care thanked me for finding this issue and they released the EIP error and I sold the phone same day.

The store employees were jerks about me bothering them with this. I'm just glad they were inept to begin with and ended up getting pissy with me for not being thrilled about it. Gee sorry guys.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I just switched over from att to tmobile on my moto x 2014. Originally my phone picked a bad apn and was not picking up any signal. I changed it to t-mobile us lte ipv6 and everything is fine now. However when I pull down my status bar it says "no service" instead of T-Mobile. The internet and phone work just fine otherwise but why is it saying "no service"?

Edit: Resolved, I did a live chat with tmobile customer service and they refreshed the connection in my area and everything is fine now.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 22, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I visited a T-mobile location and we basically determined that you can't just have a data plan on a "phone." The system apparently sees that a device has voice capability and freaks the gently caress out. :( I don't think it makes any sense, but there's not a lot I can do about it. I just wanted a goddamn media player; a pocketable alternative to a tablet with a data connection. The Moto G is exactly what I need except that whole "being a phone" part.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I visited a T-mobile location and we basically determined that you can't just have a data plan on a "phone." The system apparently sees that a device has voice capability and freaks the gently caress out. :( I don't think it makes any sense, but there's not a lot I can do about it. I just wanted a goddamn media player; a pocketable alternative to a tablet with a data connection. The Moto G is exactly what I need except that whole "being a phone" part.

I don't think any of the carriers let you do this, fwiw

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Atomizer posted:

The nerd plan accomplishes this pretty nicely imho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Pay the $30/month for the nerd plan and don't give out your number and turn off ringers or whatever.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got the BYOD SIM card without an activation kit/code because it was intended for a non-phone "tablet" device. Is there a way to make this work without reordering another kit?

Also, why does the OP say not to use Chrome to sign up for it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Atomizer posted:

I got the BYOD SIM card without an activation kit/code because it was intended for a non-phone "tablet" device. Is there a way to make this work without reordering another kit?

Also, why does the OP say not to use Chrome to sign up for it?

The people at the store already told you it wouldn't work. It's time to start over with a phone SIM kit.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

nimper posted:

The people at the store already told you it wouldn't work. It's time to start over with a phone SIM kit.

I meant it in the sense of not having to get a second SIM card, as I already have the first one; the guy at the store said he could activate it as a phone at that point (which I didn't want to do, because it's $50/month.) $30/month is more reasonable for the nerd plan. A friendly goon PMd me with an activation code, but when I tried to activate with that the site said that all 3 numbers (activation code, SIM, IMEI) were invalid, and I double-checked all of them. I wonder if I just have to order a phone-specific SIM card.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I tried sending a text message on the Nerd Plan this morning and got a reply saying "Free Msg: Unable to send message - Message Blocking is action." I noticed that my payment was due yesterday, but never got a payment confirmation. I log into T-Mobile and see this:

Anyone else having problems?

Fake Edit: While writing this, I got a message saying my payment is past due (I have auto payments turned on), so that explains texting not working.

Edit: I manually refilled it over the phone. Auto refill isn't working, and neither is the website.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 24, 2015

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I've never seen My T-Mobile look like that.

Then I tried logging in to My T-Mobile through the main T-Mobile website and got that interface.

I log in by just going to http://my.t-mobile.com and it works. That interface may just be for post-paid customers.

For reference, this is what mine looks like:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Merv Burger posted:

I've never seen My T-Mobile look like that.

Then I tried logging in to My T-Mobile through the main T-Mobile website and got that interface.

I log in by just going to http://my.t-mobile.com and it works. That interface may just be for post-paid customers.

For reference, this is what mine looks like:

I'm definitely not post paid. And you're image is what the site normally looks like for me. Guess I'll check again after the weekend. I'm just annoyed/weirded out that the auto pay didn't go through, no matter what's up with the website.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Does anyone here know how the t-mobile trial works? Does the 7 days start on the day the package is delivered or the day the phone is first powered on?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Does anyone here know how the t-mobile trial works? Does the 7 days start on the day the package is delivered or the day the phone is first powered on?

I just did a trial a few months back, and I believe mine started the morning after it was delivered. They send you emails during the trial that say when it ends.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

I just did a trial a few months back, and I believe mine started the morning after it was delivered. They send you emails during the trial that say when it ends.

This was the case for me as well.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
According to the TMo subreddit, unlimited users are now being throttled. Like 0.05 throttled (at ~17 gigs or so).

Guess the truly unlimited party is over.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

hotsauce posted:

According to the TMo subreddit, unlimited users are now being throttled. Like 0.05 throttled (at ~17 gigs or so).

As far as I understand this is a temporary measure, only when your phone is connected to LTE (not 4G) on a congested tower, and only while that tower is congested. And it's per billing cycle.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Atomizer posted:

Do what I did and get a WiFi hotspot and use your smart phone with the data turned off. I was using one from Freedompop for awhile that had 100% free 4G access with 1GB/mo, and used it with a family member's old iPhone.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Do what I did and get a WiFi hotspot and use your smart phone with the data turned off. I was using one from Freedompop for awhile that had 100% free 4G access with 1GB/mo, and used it with a family member's old iPhone.

Oh, I actually have a FreedomSpot Photon, but there's a couple of problems:
First, it's kind of temperamental as to where it works; it doesn't get reception at my workplace (in a basement,) and it doesn't seem to like maintaining a connection in a moving vehicle. These are the two places I need it to work. :(
Second, I'd blow through the data allowance in a matter of hours; I stream music several hours a day, every day.

I'd like the hotspot to work, I really would! :shobon:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

I can't see a use case where a phone is your only internet connection, you're not creating a hotspot, and you burn 500+ MB/day on things that aren't streaming music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Qwijib0 posted:

I can't see a use case where a phone is your only internet connection, you're not creating a hotspot, and you burn 500+ MB/day on things that aren't streaming music.
You can burn that much in an hour with Netflix.