Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hahaha, Tommen got wedded and bedded and GrRM had naught to do with the writing perving of it. :allears:

Does he have an episode this season or have they written him out of the show?

grrm I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

syscall girl posted:

Hahaha, Tommen got wedded and bedded and GrRM had naught to do with the writing perving of it. :allears:

grrm I mean

He didn't write an episode this year and he said it was due to Winds.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

computer parts posted:

He didn't write an episode this year and he said it was due to Winds.

I was going to make a fart joke based on this, but I have decided to refrain. It did make me imagine a GRRM skin for Wario in Super Smash Bros., though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

syscall girl posted:

grrm I mean

This season and season 6 too. He's allegedly writing WoW, but yeah, the show has 100% moved on without him. And I can't imagine them letting him come back to write anything for season 7 either, unless they do something incredibly boneheaded and bow to GRRM's emotional guilt tripping and let him write the series finale.

Because that way "at least George will have had a hand in the ending one way or anoth:unsmigghh:"

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Jaime is AA (it is known), he shall not die.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay so finally finished episode 4, they are clearly just scaling up true detective at the end.

Barristan and Grey Worm are gonna do that same thing where they're in the hospital and then it's a Lethal Weapon bro out scene.

More like sons of the LARPy!

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

syscall girl posted:

Okay so finally finished episode 4, they are clearly just scaling up true detective at the end.

Barristan and Grey Worm are gonna do that same thing where they're in the hospital and then it's a Lethal Weapon bro out scene.

More like sons of the LARPy!

The end of episode 4 was a lot like how chapters ended in the books. They make it seem like the character(s) died, but don't explicitly say so and just leave things on a cliff hanger (like Jon Snow). I don't think Barristan and Grey Worm are dead, honestly. At the very least one of them lived and, if only one does survive instead of both, I'd guess Barristan is the one living.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

This season and season 6 too. He's allegedly writing WoW, but yeah, the show has 100% moved on without him. And I can't imagine them letting him come back to write anything for season 7 either, unless they do something incredibly boneheaded and bow to GRRM's emotional guilt tripping and let him write the series finale.

Because that way "at least George will have had a hand in the ending one way or anoth:unsmigghh:"

GRRM isn't even good enough to write the fanfic of his own stuff. It just seems right that way.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm all for a little GRRM hating but he's written some pretty good episodes of the show so...

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

she'll have a grunt double to do it for her

she'll have a grunt double to do it for her

Best string of words ever written.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jaqen reveal best gently caress you to GRRM ever.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I feel like from tonight's episode you can extrapolate from all the dropped plotlines that nothing in feast for crows mattered and was pointless busywork. I'm sad at the jaqen reveal because I wanted to see arya get yelled at by a frog faced old black man for a season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Krinkle posted:

I feel like from tonight's episode you can extrapolate from all the dropped plotlines that nothing in feast for crows mattered and was pointless busywork. I'm sad at the jaqen reveal because I wanted to see arya get yelled at by a frog faced old black man for a season.

Even though it's a book change, Linda Antonsson still breathed a sigh of relief after the face switch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

Jaqen reveal best gently caress you to GRRM ever.

What's the over/under on them dropping the Syrio bomb this season?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

What's the over/under on them dropping the Syrio bomb this season?

i hope they fanservixe the poo poo out of the show, not sex stuff but clegane bowl, stuff like that

typo stays

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ASoIaF-- fanservix

Come on mods we need this.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

pretty scary what an editor can do, amirite?

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the story changes they're making are starting to really confuse me because i barely remember the books in the first place

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syscall girl posted:

are they alive in the books? i thought they were but also that something happened to selmy

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

[george r r martin]'s allegedly writing WoW

lmao

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

A Major Fucker posted:

are they alive in the books? i thought they were but also that something happened to selmy
In the books they're both alive and leading/coordinating the defence of Meereen while Dany's busy riding her dragon and making GBS threads her guts out.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LemonDrizzle posted:

In the books they're both alive and leading/coordinating the defence of Meereen while Dany's busy riding her dragon and making GBS threads her guts out.

she has diarrhea

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Am I the only one who felt Bravos was kind of a disappointment so far?

In my mind I felt like it was this MASSIVE sprawling port town that stretched for miles. In the show it felt like there were a dozen buildings and not even a port. Like a mini-Venice.

I was kind of confused at the House of Black and White being by itself. If I recall it right wasn't it in the middle of the town? Next to a temple to the Red Priests?

I mean I know all the budget went into the dragons it seems but come on.

Episode two just felt so hollow...

Arya: I am Arya let me in.
Totally not Jhaqen: No lol
Arya; Hey thanks for scaring those guys old man!
Ugh Jhaqen: Ok I let you in cause you threw a coin away.

:psyduck:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wait you're still seriously expecting the show to capture the scale of the books? It's like the most expensive show on TV and it's still bungled every single giant setpiece that wasn't a CGI establishing shot. Think of the show like a trashy telenovella version that plays in Red Priest bonfires.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

mind the walrus posted:

Wait you're still seriously expecting the show to capture the scale of the books? It's like the most expensive show on TV and it's still bungled every single giant setpiece that wasn't a CGI establishing shot. Think of the show like a trashy telenovella version that plays in Red Priest bonfires.

Well just a better picture of the size of a city that has a bank that is owed money by practically every single nation would have been nice. I mean really it looked like a backwater town in most of the set shots. I wasn't expecting much but I was expecting a bit more than they showed so far.

Meanwhile Mereen has sprawling shots of a huge city AND a massive CGI dragon soaring over it. And far less interesting stuff happens there.

I guess they're banking on all the CGI of Dany laying some soft serve in an empty field.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

it's still bungled every single giant setpiece that wasn't a CGI establishing shot.

Apart from that though, yeah.

I haven't seen episode two yet, but as you say yourself, the establishing shots are usually pretty great, so it's definitely a disappointment if Bravos looks cheap and lovely.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aside from the CGI s'plosions the Blackwater looked dinky as all gently caress when it came to actual soldiers/ships fighting. I mean it still looked like the very best that the most money in television could offer, and it still failed to capture more than 1/5th at best of the scale I got from the books, which I do consider thematically relevant enough to count as a mark against the show even if I know they can't help it.

It was actually that episode that finally made me realize I was never going to be able to enjoy the show the way I enjoyed the books and I stopped watching, and none of the clips or articles I've read on it since then have convinced me I made the wrong choice. I recall seeing Jorah and Daario take a city in a fight that wouldn't have looked out of place on Power Rangers or Buffy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hunky Joe posted:

Well just a better picture of the size of a city that has a bank that is owed money by practically every single nation would have been nice. I mean really it looked like a backwater town in most of the set shots. I wasn't expecting much but I was expecting a bit more than they showed so far.

Meanwhile Mereen has sprawling shots of a huge city AND a massive CGI dragon soaring over it. And far less interesting stuff happens there.

I guess they're banking on all the CGI of Dany laying some soft serve in an empty field.

To be fair, Arya is just hanging out in the "backwater" port areas.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the CGI s'plosions the Blackwater looked dinky as all gently caress when it came to actual soldiers/ships fighting. I mean it still looked like the very best that the most money in television could offer, and it still failed to capture more than 1/5th at best of the scale I got from the books, which I do consider thematically relevant enough to count as a mark against the show even if I know they can't help it.

It was actually that episode that finally made me realize I was never going to be able to enjoy the show the way I enjoyed the books and I stopped watching, and none of the clips or articles I've read on it since then have convinced me I made the wrong choice. I recall seeing Jorah and Daario take a city in a fight that wouldn't have looked out of place on Power Rangers or Buffy.

Do yourself a favor and watch the Battle At the Wall/Castle Black. I'd agree that it still doesn't match up with the books but they come a hell of a lot closer than the Blackwater.

Also that Scythe is :black101: as hell

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Things I learned from episode two.

1) Kevan Lannister is a bad-rear end.

That's it I guess.

A Major Fucker posted:

the story changes they're making are starting to really confuse me because i barely remember the books in the first place

Same here.

Hunky Joe posted:

Am I the only one who felt Bravos was kind of a disappointment so far?

In my mind I felt like it was this MASSIVE sprawling port town that stretched for miles. In the show it felt like there were a dozen buildings and not even a port. Like a mini-Venice.

I was kind of confused at the House of Black and White being by itself. If I recall it right wasn't it in the middle of the town? Next to a temple to the Red Priests?

Yeah, I was a bit underwhelmed as well. And I remember the distinct feeling from the books that the House of Black and White was ominously right smack in the centre of the city, but ignored and avoided by everyone.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mind the walrus posted:

If you want realistic epic war fighting scenes, you have to make the series into a movie trilogy. You have to hand the story to Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson to make 3-6 movies series, who no doubt will throw out 90% of the intrigues and palace power struggles. It's a compromise no matter what media you choose to adapt the books. I am very happy HBO have been very faith to the intrigue and mystery elements of the books and do the best job they could for the fighting.

When I read the book I didn't think the battle of Blackwater was that big of a deal. The battle of Wall was way bigger and epic in the book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

whatever7 posted:

If you want realistic epic war fighting scenes, you have to make the series into a movie trilogy. You have to hand the story to Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson to make 3-6 movies series, who no doubt will throw out 90% of the intrigues and palace power struggles. It's a compromise no matter what media you choose to adapt the books. I am very happy HBO have been very faith to the intrigue and mystery elements of the books and do the best job they could for the fighting.

When I read the book I didn't think the battle of Blackwater was that big of a deal. The battle of Wall was way bigger and epic in the book.

Oh god this horseshit. Is this post from 2001 along with your regdate? Seriously.

The only reason I make a note of the show's very obvious shortcomings is that having truly large armies and squadrons of soldiers/smallfolk fighting acts as an underscore for exactly how many lives are riding on the decisions of all the aristocrat POV characters we follow, and how many innocent lives get irreparably damaged due to their power games. This is not some subtle theme based on inference, GRRM lays it out explicitly at the end of the worst plotline in the worst book of the series by having a peasant literally scream about how hosed up his life was.

Other than that I have said again and again in posts on this very page and going back literally years that the show is the best adaptation we could have asked for of the books and the problems of scale are inherent limitations of the television medium in TYOOL 2011-2015. My loving god do you even know what thread you're posting in? I'm one of the downright kind ones around here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

whatever7 posted:

I felt the opposite, like Mance never really made a full-on assault in the books the way Stannis did on the blackwater. He sent a few parties forward, including the giant in the tunnel, but not the majority of his host.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I felt the opposite, like Mance never really made a full-on assault in the books the way Stannis did on the blackwater. He sent a few parties forward, including the giant in the tunnel, but not the majority of his host.

When I read the book I didn't get the sense that Stannis was going to take Kings Landing, therefore not a lot was at stake when I read it. Maybe it had something to with GRRM tips the hand by not letting the Red Witch going to the battle? Maybe I knew deep down Tyrion was a much bigger character than Stannis?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stannis being the Mannis during the battle of Blackwater in the show was the show's peak, looking back.

"Hundreds will die"
"Thousands"

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

the show is way more tasteful and better paced than the books even though parts of it don't make sense

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

This is not some subtle theme based on inference, GRRM lays it out explicitly at the end of the worst plotline in the worst book of the series by having a peasant literally scream about how hosed up his life was.

where

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hello my Mildest of Cards, I finally went and completed what I'm sure Georgey will just love, my ASoIaF and Tarantinoverse crossover fan script thing.

I'm working on the site tonight, but I figured you all should get the first taste of this straight-faced-as-possible jokey fanfic.

As well, there's a dropbox link on the site to a pdf download, which I'm not super happy with, but it's suitable for now. Any other broken links or whatever can be ignored for now.

I'll be posting this to a bunch of places as soon as I can, but feedback is always good. Let me know via the e-mail on the site.

Thanks and you can now return to how bad the show/books/novelization/comics/parodies are.

:frogsiren: Link: http://pulpandfiction.aheartoftheworld.net

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

“War seems like a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know. Then they get a taste of battle.

For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they’ve been gutted by an axe.

They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now, They take the wound, and when that’s still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are making GBS threads in their breeches from drinking bad water.

If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron half helm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the small folk whose land they’re fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it’s just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don’t know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they’re fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad in all steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world.

And the man breaks.”

Took me literally under a minute to find with googling "A Feast for Crows quotes."

A Major Fucker posted:

the show is way more tasteful and better paced than the books even though parts of it don't make sense

Good for the show then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SaviourX posted:

Hello my Mildest of Cards, I finally went and completed what I'm sure Georgey will just love, my ASoIaF and Tarantinoverse crossover fan script thing.

I'm working on the site tonight, but I figured you all should get the first taste of this straight-faced-as-possible jokey fanfic.

As well, there's a dropbox link on the site to a pdf download, which I'm not super happy with, but it's suitable for now. Any other broken links or whatever can be ignored for now.

I'll be posting this to a bunch of places as soon as I can, but feedback is always good. Let me know via the e-mail on the site.

Thanks and you can now return to how bad the show/books/novelization/comics/parodies are.

:frogsiren: Link: http://pulpandfiction.aheartoftheworld.net

I want to read A Game of Bones.