Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

TheQat posted:

http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/all-fours digital preorders for Bosse-de-Nage's new album are up, + a new track

Full album's up now at the same link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for sharing.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

blue.eyed.ash posted:

yep. i like it a lot. vinyl orders on tuesday at flenser

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
This popped into my youtube feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZZ4EZL3aI

Violet Cold - Desperate Dreams

I really like it. Probably Sunbather inspired, but it takes its own route with lots electronic elements on top of a black metal base

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

TheQat posted:

yep. i like it a lot. vinyl orders on tuesday at flenser

Same here. I want that clear vinyl, but not badly enough to buy two records I don't particularly want.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

blue.eyed.ash posted:

its a good album, though i reckon it could be a lot better if the vocals were a bit raspy-er

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
It's gonna be a dirty black spring.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It's gonna be a dirty black spring.

Holy poo poo, Young and in the Way is playing with Taake? How the gently caress did they get so big so fast?

Also looks like I'll be in Asheville.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the new drudkh album leaked yesterday, i think it's the best album they've put out in almost a decade

one of the tracks off the new LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScw86GYJBY

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The new BDN is good. Like Deafheaven, it sounds quite a lot like a screamo record (daitro, envy etc.). Not a bad thing by any means.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nomapple posted:

The new BDN is good. Like Deafheaven, it sounds quite a lot like a screamo record (daitro, envy etc.). Not a bad thing by any means.

BDN?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bosse-De-Nage.

Sorry, that was super lazy. Here's some cool stuff you should check out to make up for it:

Revenge/Black Witchery split whilst we continue to wait for Death Worship: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/holocaustic-death-march-to-humanitys-doom

New Embrace of Thorns: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/darkness-impenetrable

A new atmospheric BM project with members of Amenra/Oathbreaker: http://www.cvltnation.com/exclusive-cvlt-nation-streamingwiegedood-svanesang/

New Malthusian EP (ex-member(s?) of Altar of Plagues: https://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/below-the-hengiform

also there's a new band called Vanum which features members of Ash Borer and Fell Voices. https://www.profoundlorerecords.com/vanum-complete-work-on-debut-album/

Finally, NEW FALSE: https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/untitled-2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
After decades of hating black & death metal vocals, I was introduced to Ne Obliviscaris & Troldhaugen and then through the magic of Spotify discovered Summoning which has melted my loving face off. How have I never heard these guys?!? :aaaaa:

Suggestions for similarly symphonic / highly melodic acts now that I'm no longer a bitch and don't care about the vocals? Spotify has been hit/miss past this point. Props if it's got, like, a hurdy-gurdy or dulcimer something thrown in.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Rime posted:

After decades of hating black & death metal vocals, I was introduced to Ne Obliviscaris & Troldhaugen and then through the magic of Spotify discovered Summoning which has melted my loving face off. How have I never heard these guys?!? :aaaaa:

Suggestions for similarly symphonic / highly melodic acts now that I'm no longer a bitch and don't care about the vocals? Spotify has been hit/miss past this point. Props if it's got, like, a hurdy-gurdy or dulcimer something thrown in.

These guys will be opening for Ne Obliviscaris when they play in Israel soon. I think you'll like them a lot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQ2Vu7ApJU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

At first I got Young and In The Way confused with Old and in the Way and thought Jerry Garcia and John Kahn ressurected themselves from the grave and discovered their trve kvlt side.

Edit: I now cannot stop imagining Jerry Garcia doing the banjo solo in Taake's "Myr".

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 16, 2015

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Kvlt! posted:

At first I got Young and In The Way confused with Old and in the Way and thought Jerry Garcia and John Kahn ressurected themselves from the grave and discovered their trve kvlt side.

Edit: I now cannot stop imagining Jerry Garcia doing the banjo solo in Taake's "Myr".

To be fair, Midnight Moonlight would be a pretty decent black metal song title (and I did the same thing for a long time too).

edit: forgot how drat good this is; Vassar Clements was one hell of a fiddle player.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2015

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Haha Nick is in Winterfylleth

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I know this probably isn't the right thread for this, but I can't be the only person who can't stand Ne Obliviscaris' clean vocals, right? That guy has an unbelievably whiny voice.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nomapple posted:

Bosse-De-Nage.

Confirmed that this rules.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nomapple posted:

A new atmospheric BM project with members of Amenra/Oathbreaker: http://www.cvltnation.com/exclusive-cvlt-nation-streamingwiegedood-svanesang/

This is loving awesome and I want this album, like, yesterday.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Unacknowledged posted:

I know this probably isn't the right thread for this, but I can't be the only person who can't stand Ne Obliviscaris' clean vocals, right? That guy has an unbelievably whiny voice.

Tim's vocals rule sorry

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

False is so loving good, I can't wait for the full album to come out.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Unacknowledged posted:

They're better than Enslaved's harsh vocals, at least.

On an unrelated note, the new Drudkh album is really good.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Optimum Gulps posted:

These guys will be opening for Ne Obliviscaris when they play in Israel soon. I think you'll like them a lot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQ2Vu7ApJU

Oh man, this is pretty rad, I'm digging it quite a lot!

Unacknowledged posted:

The instrumentals more than make up for the vocals, utterly awesome. :colbert:

How do you feel about the weird rear end vocals by Woods of Ypres? I loving love the bizarre sound the lead singer had.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Rime posted:

How do you feel about the weird rear end vocals by Woods of Ypres? I loving love the bizarre sound the lead singer had.

Agreed, I really enjoy the rest of NeO, just those cleans jump out a lot.

Woods of Ypres I've always really liked, vocals never struck me as bad, sometimes they're pretty meh, other times it works really well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rime posted:

Oh man, this is pretty rad, I'm digging it quite a lot!

WoY vocals are just trying to rip off Type O Negative though? I wouldn't call them bizarre or original.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I really dig मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान by Cult of Fire, does anyone have any other recommendations for black metal that incorporates traditional (preferably non-western) music into the mix?

Other genres work too

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Whorelord posted:

I really dig मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान by Cult of Fire, does anyone have any other recommendations for black metal that incorporates traditional (preferably non-western) music into the mix?

Other genres work too

That album is pretty good, but I think it having much traditional musical influence is kinda overstating things. The intro bits to a few of the songs sure, and obviously the lyrics and art and everything of that album are Indian themed but after that it's really just black metal.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Whorelord posted:

Other genres work too

Nightbringer has the same sort of feel. They're not doing any eastern mysticism or whatever but musically they feel similar.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Whorelord posted:

Other genres work too

Melechesh - Middle Eastern themed Black metal
Blood of Kingu - Same as above
Nile - Technical death metal with a hardon for Egypt
Rotting Christ - Greek black/death metal, the last couple albums have a lot of Middle Eastern stuff in them

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Whorelord posted:

does anyone have any other recommendations for black metal that incorporates traditional (preferably non-western) music into the mix?

Other genres work too

The big ones were mentioned, but here's a list of more stuff to dig through. Italicized the ones that are most relevant.

Middle Eastern:
Scarab
Salem
Odious
Narjahanam
Al-Namrood
Coffin Texts
Arkan
Senmuth
Amarna Sky
Myrath
Necros Christos
Orphaned Land (especially early)

Indian/South Asian:
The Firstborn
Dying Out Flame
Kekal
Kartikeya
Rudra
Lykathea Aflame (to some degree?)
Some Indonesian bands like Humiliation or Kraton.

Chinese/Japanese/Korean:
Zuriaake
Misogi
Magane
Quest For Blood
Gostwind
Tengger Cavalry
Sad Legend
Birushanah
Gonin-Ish

I'd list South American folk stuff but all I know for that scene (aside from Guahaihoque who are black/Andean folk) is power metal, which you may not like. But Angra, Tierramystica, Yawarhiem, Toccata Magna, Aquaria, Kattah and the like you should definitely check out if your cheese tolerance is good.

Hope that's what you were looking for :q:

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

I'd forgotten about these guys...used to listen to their album 内視鏡世界 (Naishikyo-Sekai) continuously after I bought it on recommendation almost a decade ago. They sound like if Cynic and Sigh decided to record a prog/jazz fusion album together...definitely weird!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it7N0J3WWrw

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Not entirely in the same vein, but Volahn's good for Mexican black metal. More traditional BM, really inspired by pre-colonial South American culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfBX4FdQls

The whole Black Twilight Circle crowd's worth looking into.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 22, 2015

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gamma Nerd posted:

The big ones were mentioned, but here's a list of more stuff to dig through. Italicized the ones that are most relevant.

Middle Eastern:
Scarab
Salem
Odious
Narjahanam
Al-Namrood
Coffin Texts
Arkan
Senmuth
Amarna Sky
Myrath
Necros Christos
Orphaned Land (especially early)

Indian/South Asian:
The Firstborn
Dying Out Flame
Kekal
Kartikeya
Rudra
Lykathea Aflame (to some degree?)
Some Indonesian bands like Humiliation or Kraton.

Chinese/Japanese/Korean:
Zuriaake
Misogi
Magane
Quest For Blood
Gostwind
Tengger Cavalry
Sad Legend
Birushanah
Gonin-Ish

I'd list South American folk stuff but all I know for that scene (aside from Guahaihoque who are black/Andean folk) is power metal, which you may not like. But Angra, Tierramystica, Yawarhiem, Toccata Magna, Aquaria, Kattah and the like you should definitely check out if your cheese tolerance is good.

Hope that's what you were looking for :q:

Yes, you own

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Vintersorg posted:

Abbath is Immortal as far as im concerned.

Well, now apparently Abbath is Abbath, King Ov Hell and Baard Kolstad (drummer also from God Seed). Interesting that he has kept it a trio. They've just been signed to Season Of Mist.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Well, now apparently Abbath is Abbath, King Ov Hell and Baard Kolstad (drummer also from God Seed). Interesting that he has kept it a trio. They've just been signed to Season Of Mist.

I am excited.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This should be great. I really loved I.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Their album should be called Legal Battles in the North

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anything else out there like this Violet Cold band? Electronics with black metal? I'm new to this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

casual poster posted:

Anything else out there like this Violet Cold band? Electronics with black metal? I'm new to this genre.

Haven't heard of these guys so this may be way off the mark, but try Progenie Terrestrie Pura or possibly Cloak of Altering.