Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

A thousand?! I thought the assholes normally featured in homes under the hammer that have "a portfolio" of 5 or 6 were bad enough. God I hate that show ( and the whole buy to let thing)

I was exaggerating for effect, I dunno how many houses he owns. Probably thousands though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The Womens Island: Well that was infuriating, at least they got back together at the end. :v: I was going to turn it off and not watch it again if they had another bloody episode of that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a forthcoming beeb spy drama called The Game which, judging from the trailer, has stolen everything it can from the Gary Oldman Tinker Tailor. I guess it'd be interesting to see how they manage on presumably a fraction of the budget.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It was broadcast in the US months ago.

Its not that good. Its not that its low budget either, its just got no personality or charm to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I was exaggerating for effect, I dunno how many houses he owns. Probably thousands though.

There was a person a few years back who was selling their rental property portfolio of over a thousand houses across the south east.

fake edit: These people. Nearly a thou, in Kent.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Paperhouse posted:

I watched it last week and the women were disastrous, I'm glad to year they're not as hopeless as it first appeared.

Scratch that, I'm watching it now and they're still loving hopeless. If you know your group are right near the coast, why not try keeping close to the coast instead of spending 3 days wandering aimlessly around a massive jungle where everything looks exactly the same? I don't know by what metric you could say they're doing better than the men

lol and as I'm watching it the camp group just stuck to the coast and found their idiot friends within a few hours

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gorn Myson posted:

It was broadcast in the US months ago.

Its not that good. Its not that its low budget either, its just got no personality or charm to it.

It also has a weird set-up that implies the entirety of MI5 operations are executed by the heads of the different departments, in person. Like, they have a staff of seven people doing everything.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I enjoyed the first series of The Island and I'm enjoying the men's one this time, but seriously the women's one is terrible. Watching people weeping and crying all the time because they can't navigate for poo poo is just tedious. I wish we didn't have a telly culture where every tear and emotional outburst gets top priority in the final edit to the exclusion of things which might actually be interesting.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Fantastic Inside No 9 last night after a rather disappointing season 2 so far.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

thehustler posted:

Fantastic Inside No 9 last night after a rather disappointing season 2 so far.

Yeah I agree with this. I think the problem has been I now constantly expect a twist to every episode so rather than enjoying youre waiting for the twist.

Was a novel style as well with the CCTV style camera.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

The Big Taff Man posted:

Yeah I agree with this. I think the problem has been I now constantly expect a twist to every episode so rather than enjoying youre waiting for the twist.

Was a novel style as well with the CCTV style camera.

Yeah that was genius. Multi-cam all synced up it looked like. You could see the little (and obviously low quality) cameras used on top of the partitions over each person's computer.

Not being able to hear the audio from the other rooms was a nice touch too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think this season has been better than the first, but last nights was definitely a stand out. Always good to see Jane Horrocks. The absolutely nail the guest roles in this.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He should really trade them in for hotels.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

4oD really is a pile of poo compared to iPlayer, isn't it?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Eastenders just had the CPS fail to charge a rapist due to a lack of evidence. They really are timely with their storylines

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Angrymog posted:

4oD really is a pile of poo compared to iPlayer, isn't it?

What's worse is that it used to be miles better than iPlayer, then they gutted it for no reason.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

What's worse is that it used to be miles better than iPlayer, then they gutted it for no reason.

Didn't they just unload most stuff onto Youtube?
loving sucks they still block Ireland though, bastards.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They've gutted it all sadly.

Which is a shame, because after watching that Rik Mayall tribute I really wanted to watch some of the better Comic Strip Presents. I've only used 4oD really twice in the last few years to watch Toast and that last series of Phone Shop.

I'm always watching iPlayer though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Which is a shame, because after watching that Rik Mayall tribute I really wanted to watch some of the better Comic Strip Presents. I've only used 4oD really twice in the last few years to watch Toast and that last series of Phone Shop.

Speaking of which, PhoneShop is on Netflix now, and it's still amazing. The episode with the "Skunky Muffins" especially.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of which, PhoneShop is on Netflix now, and it's still amazing. The episode with the "Skunky Muffins" especially.

Sadly I'm so broke I cannot even afford Netflix.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

:agreed:

The first 10 minutes of HIGNFY was super-awkward, but after that it was a good episode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jesus that was awkward.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They invite a politician on once in a while so they and Hislop can lock horns while Paul Merton pointedly stares into space and the guest presenter has an anxious fit trying to hurry it along. Keeps credibility, you know.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Yeah just watched HIGNFY and it was massively uncomfortable at the start, I love Hislop but I felt he was just being nasty, it wasn't intended as a joke at all, I reckon it was because it started about press restrictions which he is obviously massively against but to be fair to Prescott that poo poo happened years ago and he was always pretty decent about after he was caught. Either way it didn't make for an enjoyable moment of TV.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Inside Number 9 this week was good, but I agree that waiting for the twist (which blindsided me this week, unlike last) is now a 'bit of a thing'.

It had slightly less impact for me because it kept reminding me of the (excellent) radio 4 series The Man In Black, featuring Mark Gatiss, episode Connect. If you haven't heard the series I strongly recommend keeping an ear out, it's amazing radio drama.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

It got me quite badly because of the dead cat woman which apparently hit my buttons badly enough to make me feel abjectly miserable and actually a little relieved/better after Andy got shot for doing that. I realise this isn't an appropriate emotional response to that last bit. I probably should have waited until I was in a better mood before watching it, because drat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So Happy Valley is a decent little slice of depressing drama.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Is this just really bad customer service or is cancelling Sky usually this infuriating?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/sky-customer-spent-hour-half-9079148

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Sounds like standard operating procedure.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Is there a way to watch Blake's 7 in America? I don't suppose it's streaming anywhere, is it?

I really want to see a sci-fi show with only HALF of Doctor Who's budget.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Most companies operate on the idea that it costs more to get a new customer than it does to retain an old one, so Sky are going to try everything in the book to retain a customer.

Which has worked perfectly for me in the past. You phone up once your contract is due and tell them you're going to cancel, and then you haggle out of them loads of extras and a price cut or two until and then you agree to that. Its even better if you've had some issues in the recent past (which you will) so you can push even further.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sounds like standard operating procedure.

I just love the way that she accusses him of wanting to use illegal torrenting.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
There's a new thing starting on C4 tomorrow night called Ballot Monkeys, written by the same guys who wrote Drop The Dead Donkey, which looks interesting. It's set on the campaign buses of three main parties as they campaign, and apparently a lot of it will be written and filmed just before it airs.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

DrVenkman posted:

Is this just really bad customer service or is cancelling Sky usually this infuriating?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/sky-customer-spent-hour-half-9079148

Sounds like he just hit someone pedantic, I usually ask to cancel, they put you through to someone who asks you why and then offers you stuff and then I accept half price for 6 months and then call them back 6 months later

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a new thing starting on C4 tomorrow night called Ballot Monkeys, written by the same guys who wrote Drop The Dead Donkey, which looks interesting. It's set on the campaign buses of three main parties as they campaign, and apparently a lot of it will be written and filmed just before it airs.

I hope they have the same gimmic as DtDD were they referenced news from the last couple of days before broadcast.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is anyone watching the Quizeum. I saw it being trailed a lot but forgot about it til they got 5 epis in, Grif Rhys Jones fronts a quiz show with team captains black-haired lady historian from BBC4 and the fat one from Antiques Road Trip. It's also filthy. I swear they pick through the museum's collection for the artefact with the biggest cock to talk about

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

DrVenkman posted:

If you really do want to cancel, and aren't just angling for a discount, I hear that saying you are moving abroad helps speed things up. Also with gym memberships.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is anyone watching the Quizeum. I saw it being trailed a lot but forgot about it til they got 5 epis in, Grif Rhys Jones fronts a quiz show with team captains black-haired lady historian from BBC4 and the fat one from Antiques Road Trip. It's also filthy. I swear they pick through the museum's collection for the artefact with the biggest cock to talk about

No, but I will now - sounds amusing.

edit: Watched the first couple of episodes. Not sure that GRJ is the best host, but it's a fun little program.

GRJ also looks disturbingly like a younger, thinner Rolf Harris. I hope he changes his look for the next series.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 20, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's nice to see the cast of BBC4 out of their natural habitat. But yeah, fun thing.
Also, they just bleeped a medieval recipe for conceiving a boy. Apparently you take the womb and BEEP of a rabbit. I guess it is before the watershed but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mr. Squishy posted:

knowing her as I do, I imagine that was done simply for us because thinking about it, our circle of friends basically think like goons anyway. I also suggested she should do something along the lines of The Mark Steele Lectures, I'm waiting for my royalty cheque