Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just Offscreen posted:

The feathers are in our minds.

Just like Birdman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vintersorg posted:

Weren't you going crazy about superhero movies in the comics thread? What separates Jurassic World from those?

Because this has none of the majesty of the first movie, they're just going all out with having dinosaurs kill everything along with having some really awful characters and dialogue.

The superhero movies we've been getting lately don't insult ones intelligence and have generally snappy well written dialogue that fits with the characters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Deakul posted:

Because this has none of the majesty of the first movie, they're just going all out with having dinosaurs kill everything along with having some really awful characters and dialogue.

The superhero movies we've been getting lately don't insult ones intelligence and have generally snappy well written dialogue that fits with the characters.

Well there's no accounting for taste.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mecha Gojira posted:

Actually, dinosaurs as they exist in the public's imagination is pretty hard linked to capitalism. The great capitalists of the Gilded Age were the ones who funded the paleontological expeditions and built the museums to house their bones for the public to see (a clear parallel with one John Hammond, by the way). They used dinosaurs as the mascots of their oil companies. The giant powerful creatures were seen as the top of the food chain, Darwinian success stories in an age of social Darwinism.

Of course, public perception of dinosaurs changed when Jurassic Park came out. No longer are dinosaurs these big, lumbering, powerful monsters, but these small, quick, adaptable, and intelligent digital creatures. Remember that scene where the computer screens project DNA code on the raptors? It looks like computer code. The velociraptor is the Steve Jobs to the T. Rex of Carnegie and Rockefeller.

What dinosaurs really are is two distinct clades of extinct animals, one of which eventually evolved into what we consider modern-day birds to the point that at least the theropod dinosaurs aren't even considered distinct from birds. And even then we put inordinate amounts of time and attention towards this particular class of extinct species. We devote classroom time to them, large museum exhibits, it's newsworthy when a new species is found. No one cares about Cambrian life, pre-Mesozoic reptiles (the ones we humans are actually related to) or most of the extinct species from the last 60 million years, and the reason for this is inextricably linked to prevailing ideology. Dinosaurs big and cool like the magnanimous capitalist who spent the money to find and display them for you the public.

Seriously, The Last Dinosaur Book is a great book and everyone who has a love of dinosaurs should read it.
I didn't either until I had to base my undergrad research project on trilobites and conodonts. I then learned that Dinosaurs, while big and awesome/rad, are ultimately not as useful in scientific context as say trilobites or conodonts which are very easy to find and more importantly, extremely useful in deteriming boundaries for time periods/ages/etc. What's cool is that my research is aiding in determing the base the of the 10th Stage of the Cambrian to challenge the attempt from the Chinese who did some shoddy work just to get it out there because the Chinese government likes the prestige of its scientists making important discoveries. I also was the first person (at least this is what my prof told me) to find an intact pygidium of the trilobite Glaboraspis vescula so that was cool.

However while not as important as trilobites or other invertebrates, Dinosaurs do play a very important role in bringing in the people to museums which helps with funding for other paleontologists.

Deakul posted:

Sorry, I'm not 12 anymore so I demand a little more from my dinosaur movies. :colbert:
Most non-Jurassic Park dinosaur movies are poo poo

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vintersorg posted:

Well there's no accounting for taste.

Never change, SA. :allears:

achillesforever6 posted:

Most non-Jurassic Park dinosaur movies are poo poo

All of them are poo poo, everything after JP1 is total rear end.

I think the only one I KIND of SORT OF liked was Peter Jackson's King Kong but it was barely a dinosaur movie and barely good.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 20, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jagermonster posted:

I think she was just spooking them to fly out of their enclosure to go gently caress poo poo up. Your interpretation, though it does come after a suspicious line, is just way too crazy. I bet the dude was talking about the raptors or something.
The I. rex is a far right rabble-rousers, the inevitable result of the single-minded destabilizing pursuit of profit inherent to capitalism. The segment between "Something is wrong, they're communicating" and "A highly intelligent animal" clearly shows the I. rex striking back at its genetic inferiors, alongside the raptors which it has turned to its cause. The way the human characters react to inter-dinosaur communication is clearly reminiscent of the capitalist class' inability to recognize the threat of the far right, thinking they're primitive and tameable, right until the point where stormtroopers/raptors are patrolling the streets. Pratt in this case represents social democrats, less openly greedy but still complicit in an exploitative system, and whose base the far right demagogue has no trouble taking over.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Deakul posted:

All of them are poo poo, everything after JP1 is total rear end.

I think the only one I KIND of SORT OF liked was Peter Jackson's King Kong but it was barely a dinosaur movie and barely good.
The Lost World is not as bad as everyone thinks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

The Lost World is not as bad as everyone thinks

Yeah. It's actually way worse.

New trailer looks ok at the start then stupid as hell by the end. I'm going to end up loving or really hating I-Rex. Doubt they'll be a middle ground. But I really do hope they go all the way with the "they're communicating part" and have him go all dinosaur general commanding the rest of the dinos around.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Burkion posted:

Are we going to get a full on dinosaur civil war? That's the main thing that occurs to me watching the trailer. If we get THAT I'd be all for it. UPSTARTS VS THE KINGS OF THE ISLAND! I-Rex barking orders, T-Rex slaughtering the unworthy!

Also I swear to God if the Irex kills the original T-Rex, gently caress this movie.

Would watch Jurassic revolution movie, with feudal herbivores rebelling against king I-rex the XVI and his Land owning, peasant eating, carnivorous, loyalists.

Dinosaurs with muskets, guillotining their foes. Yep that would be a hell of a movie.

Edit: Humans would obviously side with the carnivore because, capitalism.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

Would watch Jurassic revolution movie, with feudal herbivores rebelling against king I-rex the XVI and his Land owning, peasant eating, carnivorous, loyalists.

Dinosaurs with muskets, guillotining their foes. Yep that would be a hell of a movie.

Edit: Humans would obviously side with the carnivore because, capitalism.

I would unironically do everything in my power to see this movie made.

Why won't this be that. Why

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

K. Waste posted:

The way people conceptualize things that don't exist in material reality are reflective of the values of the times in which they are conceived. You keep accusing others of missing your point, but you don't actually understand the arguments being made, which is why you resort to myopic arguments about your own anecdotal perspective and a strawman argument you've abstracted from a T.V. show.

Nobody cares about your unexamined self-assurance that you know exactly how you feel about creatures that you have never, in point of fact, seen in reality. They are arguing about the ideological implications of the ambiguous relationship between the scientific process and mediated representations of that which no longer exists for the purposes of both education and, more importantly, popular entertainment. This is extremely apt when discussing movies that are about how dinosaurs (that now no longer necessarily jive with contemporary scientific research) are revived to be used as theme park attractions.

It's telling that, as summary of your position, you use the above mentioned strawman T.V. show anecdote; and not only this, but that you have also failed to read the scene properly. "Counter Girl" is not a real person. She was deliberately conceptualized to represent the prevailing cultural archetype of someone who "reads too much into things" for the purposes of humor. Counter Girl is not, in fact, capable of defending her position with evidence, or able to explain her ideological position, because this is not the purpose of the scene. Furthermore, James Cameron - like many celebrities appearing on the show - is not playing himself, but an exaggerated, fictional version of himself that is obnoxious and unreceptive, again, for the purposes of humor. The scene is not depicting an actual debate in any way, shape, or form. It's depicting the intractable opposition between between someone who is deeply engaged with a film she loves and the anti-intellectual disposition of its creator. This scene could just as easily be re-staged for the purposes of tragic drama, sympathetic to "Counter Girl," which is basically what happens in The Fault In Our Stars. But the point is that neither scene is about the loving Titanic. It's about how James Cameron is a cynical rear end in a top hat.

sorry dude, i got a sentence or two into it and realized it's probably really lovely to watch movies with you and stopped reading.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah. It's actually way worse.

The Lost World is awesome, the only outright bad part is the gymnastic thing and if you don't like the t-rex loose in the city you can eat farts

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The trailer shows some raptor-on-human violence, so thankfully all the people on the internet complaining about "domesticated raptors" can shut up.

Also I noticed they changed the mosasaur feeding bit so instead of it eating a dangling great white shark, it plucks a pteranodon out of the sky.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Xenomrph posted:

The trailer shows some raptor-on-human violence, so thankfully all the people on the internet complaining about "domesticated raptors" can shut up.

Also I noticed they changed the mosasaur feeding bit so instead of it eating a dangling great white shark, it plucks a pteranodon out of the sky.

It does both probably.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah that clearly happens because the flyers escape to eat the poo poo out of tourists...and one flies too close to the Mosasaur attraction. It was literally trained to pluck low hanging things above it's enclosure.

It's probably doing something dumb like saving some kids from the pteranodon by doing so.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cole posted:

yeah that's cool and all but i just liked the t-rex because it was big and badass. and i liked the raptors because they were quick and pretty freaky.

people really think way too into stuff.

It's fine to enjoy art strictly on a visceral level, but there are still reasons behind your enjoyment. Dinosaurs in fiction are primal gladiators whose fantasy flesh is filled in with the biases and fears of their curators.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Just Offscreen posted:

Yeah that clearly happens because the flyers escape to eat the poo poo out of tourists...and one flies too close to the Mosasaur attraction. It was literally trained to pluck low hanging things above it's enclosure.

I really, really wish that pteradon had a person in its claws.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I really, really wish that pteradon had a person in its claws.
The person who cut that trailer did too I think.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah they are setting things up for the Trex to kill that thing. The IRex killing other nice dinos for sport pretty much means its going to get brought down by other dinosaurs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cole posted:

sorry dude, i got a sentence or two into it and realized it's probably really lovely to watch movies with you and stopped reading.

You're doing God's work, Cole.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Burkion posted:

Also I swear to God if the Irex kills the original T-Rex, gently caress this movie.

I'm almost positive its going to be the other way around. T-Rex Classic is totally saving the day in a callback to the original and as redemption for the third film.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That trailer looked completely silly and I'm okay with that. Also was that D'onfrio?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Macaluso posted:

Also they are absolutely going out of their way to not show the T-Rex in the trailers. I thought the trailer was awesome as hell, and the dinosaurs looked great, I don't care what you guys say. The shot of the CG raptors running through the jungle looked real good IMO.

What do you think was eating the goat in the trailer? You see just the top of the T. rex head.

Also, I found the portions around the "They're communicating" line interesting. Because shortly after that, you see the same truck they rolled out with the raptor attack squad speeding away while a raptor jumps on someone's back that is trying to climb through its back doors.. It seems very much like this movie is doing a lot of different things. I'm actually not quite sure if trying to do a lot of different things is really good for a movie like this.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So did I read the trailer completely wrong or does the new mutant dino basically turn into the generalisimo of the other dinos and force them to become his dino rebel army?

because that's hilarious and awesome and I am so so so hyped for this wonderfully stupid movie

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mr.capps posted:

Yeah they are setting things up for the Trex to kill that thing. The IRex killing other nice dinos for sport pretty much means its going to get brought down by other dinosaurs.
Just as it appears that we'll see a retread of the Spinosaurus killing the T. rex in JP3, an ankylosaurus will use its mighty golf swing to send a gyrosphere smashing into the I. rex, giving the T. rex the opening it needs to perform an Atomic Legdrop and finish off the I. rex. The ankylosaurus and T. rex then look at each other with respect and go their separate ways.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
I like the way they have the Aliens style heartbeat monitors for the security guys on the big screens alongside the CCTV feed.

They loving KNEW this was going to happen.

(Full film given away in the trailer, it's gonna be full bore retard, but hopefully fun enough to watch as each predictable section appears, beat by beat)

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 20, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Xenomrph posted:

The kids are soaked so it looks like the splash scene is still in it

Peanut President posted:

That trailer looked completely silly and I'm okay with that. Also was that D'onfrio?

Yep. It was nice to see the guys with guns having brains instead of just being nooks to serve as foils to the hero

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

So did I read the trailer completely wrong or does the new mutant dino basically turn into the generalisimo of the other dinos and force them to become his dino rebel army?

because that's hilarious and awesome and I am so so so hyped for this wonderfully stupid movie

I'm still hoping it goes all Dino Civil War

I-Rex New Republic VS T-Rex Democratic Empire

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Devol_Tettran posted:

I like the way they have the Aliens style heartbeat monitors for the security guys on the big screensm alongside the CCTV feed.

They loving KNEW this was going to happen.
Combat data from battles between bio-engineered monsters and trained soldiers is worth a fortune, as any evil scientist can tell you.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just as it appears that we'll see a retread of the Spinosaurus killing the T. rex in JP3, an ankylosaurus will use its mighty golf swing to send a gyrosphere smashing into the I. rex, giving the T. rex the opening it needs to perform an Atomic Legdrop and finish off the I. rex. The ankylosaurus and T. rex then look at each other with respect and go their separate ways.

None of the films have had a anky in them right? They were my favorite as a kid and if there was one in this I'm pretty sure it would be five-year-old me's favorite movie ever

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
You know that Spinosaurus skeleton in the main plaza is going to be symbolic as all hell- to the point where I will be very surprised if either the T-Rex or the I-Rex don't knock it over and smash the living poo poo out of it at some point.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bwee posted:

This movie, like the original Jurassic Park, is designed to be awesome for 12 year olds and I think it will succeed at that

The difference is the first one was genuinely engaging and enjoyable for people of all ages due to strong characters and great design. This just looks like generic action movie shlock with dinosaurs. I mean the main appeal voiced by people in this thread who actually like the trailer is that the movie looks so dumb/silly/over the top that it will be fun to laugh at.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Deakul posted:

Lol sure they do.

The only superhero movie that has been released lately that didn't insult anyone's intelligence was winter soldier.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nothing wrong with that.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Also I remember some people in this thread were hoping the Ankylosauruses would treat that ball vehicle like a bat and ball and the trailer showed that absolutely happening

Winklebottom posted:

Just poked around the Dinosaurs page and they put the Ankylosaurus in the gyrosphere area. I'm sensing the possibility of dinosaur golf.

GIF from the trailer

Called it so hard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It just hit me that the Ankylosaurus are rolling the ball AWAY from the I-Rex. They're saving the kids. This is so loving stupid I'm back on board.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Megasabin posted:

The difference is the first one was genuinely engaging and enjoyable for people of all ages due to strong characters and great design. This just looks like generic action movie shlock with dinosaurs. I mean the main appeal voiced by people in this thread who actually like the trailer is that the movie looks so dumb/silly/over the top that it will be fun to laugh at.

Nah it just looks fun. Silly and over the top stuff is fun and you don't need to laugh at it for it to be fun.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I still like how there are people bitching that Chris Pratt is trying to tame those raptors, I mean really that's what every zoo tries to do with its animals, why is this such a sticking point with some people?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It just hit me that the Ankylosaurus are rolling the ball AWAY from the I-Rex. They're saving the kids. This is so loving stupid I'm back on board.

Or the Irex riled them up to use them to crack it open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, hush, I'm going all the way with T-Rex I-Rex civil war.

PICK A SIDE, DINOSAUR ISLAND!

• Locked thread