Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Ballz posted:

Also, his raw strength and fighting ability.

I wouldn't say he's got a 'fighting ability' in the show. he fights like an angry fat kid. He's certainly not the 12th degree judo ninja that he is in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would also say he is becoming more and more like his comic book counter part as he show progresses as well.

They are basically getting the best of both worlds, they are creating a new interesting take on the character while having him go through an arc where he ends up where he is in the comics, but still keeping the the depth they established in the beginning.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Agreed, they earning the right to have him be a more comfortable comic book villain in later series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whether or not you like Kingpin on the show (and I do) I don't think anyone can argue it's an interesting and bold direction for Netflix to take with a well-established character right out of the gate.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I loved the Spiderman animated series as a kid but I have no idea why anyone would rather cling to that version of the character than what we got.

Drifter posted:

I wouldn't say he's got a 'fighting ability' in the show. he fights like an angry fat kid. He's certainly not the 12th degree judo ninja that he is in the comics.

He fights like an angry fat kid with a ton of strength and the ability to take absurd amounts of punishment. He's not a ninja, he's just insanely loving tough.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

He fights like an angry fat kid with a ton of strength and the ability to take absurd amounts of punishment. He's not a ninja, he's just insanely loving tough.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy that that puts him into a tier with actual superheroes though.

Then again, Daredevil seems to be on a pretty low tier himself; he gets tazed by old men, and occasionally has a pretty hard time even one-on-one against random hoodlums. Comics folks: is he always like this? Do you think he's up for some sort of powerup in the near future, or is he just going to keep biting off more than he can chew forever? It was cool for this one season where he got really invested in this war with Fisk but it could start to get silly after a while.

edit: Okay, obviously the body armor is sort of supposed to be that powerup, but still.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 20, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

McNerd posted:

Yeah, it's kind of crazy that that puts him into a tier with actual superheroes though.

Then again, Daredevil seems to be on a pretty low tier himself; he gets tazed by old men, and occasionally has a pretty hard time even one-on-one against random hoodlums. Comics folks: is he always like this? Do you think he's up for some sort of powerup in the near future, or is he just going to keep biting off more than he can chew forever? It was cool for this one season where he got really invested in this war with Fisk but it could start to get silly after a while.

:what:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly my biggest problem with the series is that he beats information out of like 10 people. It's not even a thing about superheroes using torture, it's just, he can do other stuff as well. Come up with a new story beat guys.

McNerd posted:

Remember when he beat up a hallway full of Russian toughs.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

zoux posted:

Right, and he also had a struggle to beat the bowling ball guy. Pretty lucky nobody in that hallway was the bowling ball guy, or had a taser, or was fat and angry.

edit: I mean it's pretty clear that fight pushed him to his physical limits; if one more guy had come out of a back room with a gun, he'd have been dead. Which is fine, it was a great scene! But obviously he can't do this every day and get away with it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

zoux posted:

While he had a just-sewn-up knife wound.

Daredevil is a straight bad rear end, why does he need to be "powered up." The whole point of the character is that he has these super senses and martial arts training, but he's not Thor. Taking punishment is like his core characteristic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with the series is that he beats information out of like 10 people. It's not even a thing about superheroes using torture, it's just, he can do other stuff as well. Come up with a new story beat guys.

On my rewatch, I noticed that in episode 3 (I think) Claire is asking him what the plan is, and he doesn't have one except beat street level criminals until someone talks. Like, he's supposed to be smarter than that. If he didn't love beating people up, he could do the same job by working smarter instead of hitting harder, but it's like he rather just beat on people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mikeraskol posted:

Taking punishment is like his core characteristic.

In fact taking punishment is where he gets his superpowers. Daredevil is a repressed BDSM lover! Blindfolds, sticks, cuts, candles, weird getups, he's quite a kink!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Is the name Kingpin actually uttered in dialogue by anyone in this series? I don't remember anything but Fisk and "the man on top"/"the king"/other things adjacent to The Kingpin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The word daredevil isn't even mentioned until the last episode. Kingpin isn't mentioned at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, it isn't. On a conspiracy board the king card is pinned to the top though, representing him. Maybe he'll get the name in prison.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think part of it is that those words, daredevil and kingpin, aren't as ubiquitous as they were when those characters were created. They're so much less likely to come up organically in conversation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

greatn posted:

No, it isn't. On a conspiracy board the king card is pinned to the top though, representing him. Maybe he'll get the name in prison.

I like that Matt's card on that is a black jack - a jack with a black mask drawn on it. Though perhaps a Jester/Joker would have suited his position in the whole thing more.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I think part of it is that those words, daredevil and kingpin, aren't as ubiquitous as they were when those characters were created. They're so much less likely to come up organically in conversation.

Yeah, I understand and think it was better off for it, I was just curious since everyone in the thread obviously calls him that even though, technically, it's just a vestigial name that doesn't actually apply to the character we see on the show (yet anyway). I wonder if he showed up on 2 more seasons and was never christened as Kingpin officially, would the fanbase still call him that anyway forever, or would eventually he just be Fisk?

I guess people call the Agents of SHIELD characters by their comic names (Quake, Mockingbird) constantly even if those names haven't been given on the show - makes it confusing for non-comic-readers to follow occasionally. People called a character the Reader from the comics for pages since I guess he was blind, then later it turned out that wasn't even who he was intended to be.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
People don't call Skye Quake, though, they call her Mary Sue Poots THAT'S NOT HER NAME!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

Yeah, I understand and think it was better off for it, I was just curious since everyone in the thread obviously calls him that even though, technically, it's just a vestigial name that doesn't actually apply to the character we see on the show (yet anyway). I wonder if he showed up on 2 more seasons and was never christened as Kingpin officially, would the fanbase still call him that anyway forever, or would eventually he just be Fisk?

I guess people call the Agents of SHIELD characters by their comic names (Quake, Mockingbird) constantly even if those names haven't been given on the show - makes it confusing for non-comic-readers to follow occasionally. People called a character the Reader from the comics for pages since I guess he was blind, then later it turned out that wasn't even who he was intended to be.

Well quake is a good nickname anyway since Skye is always making quakes, and Bobbi is always imitating car alarms and dive bombing crows, so Mockingbird works there too.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

tsob posted:

I like that Matt's card on that is a black jack - a jack with a black mask drawn on it. Though perhaps a Jester/Joker would have suited his position in the whole thing more.

His father's name was Jack.
Whereas the Kingpin's dad also drove a nail into his own head (when making those signs).
Parallels.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

McNerd posted:

Right, and he also had a struggle to beat the bowling ball guy. Pretty lucky nobody in that hallway was the bowling ball guy, or had a taser, or was fat and angry.

edit: I mean it's pretty clear that fight pushed him to his physical limits; if one more guy had come out of a back room with a gun, he'd have been dead. Which is fine, it was a great scene! But obviously he can't do this every day and get away with it.

That bowling ball guy was a professional assassin though, so he was a few steps up from "random thug". Similar class of fighter as Rance, guy that tried to kill Karen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh wesley :allears:

you dun goofed

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Someone made this point in the BSS TV thread, but for 90% of the fights in this show Daredevil is already beat up, pulling out stitches, etc. He's almost never fighting at full strength.

The first time he fights Fisk he just went mano a mano with Nobu and was basically near death. He still hadn't recovered from that the final time he fought him in the finale. Hell even in the hallway fight scene Daredevil is severely hurt and was just recently stitched up by Claire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Oh wesley :allears:

you dun goofed

It's neat because he normally has things so together, but he's trying to protect Fisk from FLIPPING THE gently caress OUT and he's off on his own not handling this problem any of the ways they normally would. There's normally a plan, but he was winging it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

McNerd posted:

But it didnt happen and the story presented is how it is. I hate fanfic poo poo "WHAT IF".

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Daredevil was beaten by an old man with a stun gun.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Snak posted:

It's neat because he normally has things so together, but he's trying to protect Fisk from FLIPPING THE gently caress OUT and he's off on his own not handling this problem any of the ways they normally would. There's normally a plan, but he was winging it.

I love the look on his face when it all goes wrong. It's like he hasn't considered the possibility that his intimidation wouldn't work.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Kainser posted:

Daredevil was beaten by an old man with a stun gun.

He heard Stick's signature tapping and completely lost his composure and ended up underestimating the out of shape old man for a moment, it's understandable at least.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Snak posted:

Okay that answers the question I was going to post. I was so confused over how Wesley would mess this up but yeah that makes sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Okay that answers the question I was going to post. I was so confused over how Wesley would mess this up but yeah that makes sense.

Yeah I think he does what he does because he knows Fisk well enough to either want to protect Fisk or to be very afraid of what Fisk will do if he finds out. Remember this is right when Vanessa is in critical condition from being poisoned, Wesley does want Fisk getting this double wammy. He's worried and makes him careless.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He also gets himself shot because a) Fisk is a huge baby who cannot take care of himself and b) Wesley is both extremely servile and protective of the guy to a fault.

Basically neither of them can or will really let Fisk be his own man and people die because of it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jeez what a good show. This is the Breaking Bad of superhero shows.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah I think he does what he does because he knows Fisk well enough to either want to protect Fisk or to be very afraid of what Fisk will do if he finds out. Remember this is right when Vanessa is in critical condition from being poisoned, Wesley does want Fisk getting this double wammy. He's worried and makes him careless.

I also think that Wesley isn't particularly 'hands-on' as a criminal. His intimidation is inept, because it's not something he normally does for Fisk. He obviously wanted to keep things quiet, so he decided to take care of Karen himself, but completely misjudged her and the situation. Leaving the gun on the table was a mistake, but it's in character as we never see Wesley do this kind of thing. He's more of a coordinator/arranger than a doer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I kinda wanted a flashback of when Fisk met Wesley.

Also it's been mentioned probably but the dude playing Wesley kinda looks like James Spader.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wesley is a good friend, he's just a solid all around dude.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skeezy posted:

I kinda wanted a flashback of when Fisk met Wesley.

Also it's been mentioned probably but the dude playing Wesley kinda looks like James Spader.

I thought he looked like Victor Garber minus 25 years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snak posted:

Fisk was also pretty much turning into a trainwreck in terms of strategy at that point.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

etalian posted:

Fisk was also pretty much turning into a trainwreck in terms of strategy at that point.

He was up against the Owl, the Hand, and Lady Crane. He was always a bit out of his league. He'll be ready for the next round when he inevitably is cleared of all charges due to a legal complication or receives immunity after fleeing to Europe after a period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
As far as Daredevil's suit goes I assume this is just the beta version and as the series progresses he'll find ways to modify it or change it more and more until it's more streamlined. That makes sense since they are going all out by making the series very origin based.

I understand the direction they were going with Kingpin but I think the acting choices were odd. Kingpin does seem too aspergers like. It's doubtful that someone with that little social skills could make it in the crime world. It does not really explain how he was able to manipulate his way to the top.