Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What cheap MIGs should I be looking for on Craigslist? I have access to a 240v 50a socket in addition to the regular 120v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Could someone explain to me what the 1/2 button does and after the 22 setting there's a little screw symbol, what does that one do?

http://i.imgur.com/AY8NVYT.jpg

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Could someone explain to me what the 1/2 button does and after the 22 setting there's a little screw symbol, what does that one do?

http://i.imgur.com/AY8NVYT.jpg

"Drill". Meaning full torque with no clutch release. The rest of those numbers are amount of slip on the clutch.

The 1 - 2 switch on the top are gears. It's on the lower setting now.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ohh I see. Thanks Ron.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So the holes for a couple of the trim screws in my truck are stripped. What's the best way to repair a screw hole in sheet metal that's too large? Again this is a trim screw, otherwise I'd just step up a screw size.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kid sinister posted:

So the holes for a couple of the trim screws in my truck are stripped. What's the best way to repair a screw hole in sheet metal that's too large? Again this is a trim screw, otherwise I'd just step up a screw size.
Dremel a small slot and use a spire clip?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've had good luck using a Chrysler(/Ford?) christmas tree style clip on a stripped wheel well splash guard

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

heat posted:

There is no dipstick, which is what makes it so strange. I guess someone could get a bit extra in with a tight fitting hose and being really quick with the bolt but why the hell would anyone do that

It may have been serviced out of the car at some point. They laid it on it's side, stuck a funnel in it, and filled it up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Filled with the car at an angle would be my guess. They filled it per instructions, except the flat and level ground part.
Or possible the posting the picture did that. One of them is dumb.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

More that likely it was filled through the VSS port or at a severe angle. You can't fill them outside the car unless the axles are already attached - the axle seals are integral to keeping the gear oil inside the gearbox. No axles = everything pours out.

It won't really hurt anything except for a little extra wear on the synchros (mostly on 5th). The only thing that easily kills those gearboxes is neutral drops - a pin drops out of the differential and finds a way to escape through the casing if you're a fan of sick burnouts from your 140 hp Integra.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Leasing a car stupid or brilliant? Got a new job and will require a car so I think I may do it... I have excellent credit so I can afford it but I am worried about at the end of the 3 year lease. Do people get hosed often by dealerships when trying to give the car back?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If the job isn't 100% rock solid and the car is basically only due to the job, what about month-to-month car rentals? I haven't priced it out personally, but if it's only a small amount above the cost of a lease it might be worth it to look at the price difference as basically an insurance policy

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Sentient Data posted:

If the job isn't 100% rock solid and the car is basically only due to the job, what about month-to-month car rentals? I haven't priced it out personally, but if it's only a small amount above the cost of a lease it might be worth it to look at the price difference as basically an insurance policy

Month to month car rentals seems more expensive. Leasing a MINI only seems like it would be around $250 a month and I have excellent credit.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
But if the job goes away in two weeks you're gonna be pretty bummed that you signed a two year lease.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Astonishing Wang posted:

But if the job goes away in two weeks you're gonna be pretty bummed that you signed a two year lease.

Listen to this man.

At the very least wait until you've got your feet under the table before committing to a long lease.

Or consider using your decent credit to buy a used car that you can sell if it all goes wrong without a big loss. A Mini is good for that - holds its value well and a slighter older one doesn't look like an old model.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I've been on a bit of a home improvement binge lately, reducing clutter wherever I can.

Now that the house is clean, I'm moving on to my pockets.

There's one bit of bulk that I'm not sure how to replace - the key fob for my '99 accord. As far I'm aware, my phone doesn't have the capability of spitting out the frequencies to unlock my car (plus the idea of not being able to start my car without phone power sounds stupid).

At the very least I'd like to upgrade from "key, keychain, fob" to a single key that has the fob in like the newer 2003 model does.

Is this possible? Is there any preferred way to reduce the bulk of my keychain without losing the keyless remote for a '99 accord?

Before anyone suggests it, I don't really see this as justification to replace the accord. She's a smooth ride, comfortable, and reliable. That said, if it's doable to mess with her innards without damaging her, I'm up for that. I'm not concerned about how this will hurt the resale value of a 16 year old car if messing with the car instead of the fob is an option.

diadem fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I seen after market flip/switchblade keys for cars that didn't come with them. I don't see anything specific for that year Accord, but I only looked quickly. Maybe you can cannibalize a key into a blank key if you're handy with electronics.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Uthor posted:

I seen after market flip/switchblade keys for cars that didn't come with them. I don't see anything specific for that year Accord, but I only looked quickly. Maybe you can cannibalize a key into a blank key if you're handy with electronics.

DYI is not a horrible idea.

I mean, I know how to program a standard transponder and fob. That's $80 for parts. Once programmed I can strip them out of their casing.
I've got access to 3d artists and a 3d printer to make a new casing that can fit with a blank car key. Then all that's left is having a locksmith copy the original car key.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

2006 Honda Pilot

Sorry for the kind of blurry photo. I went for a drive on the highway and I kept hearing this rattle. When I got home, I looked underneath my car and found this part that I'm pointing to flopping up and down. Does anyone have any idea what part this is?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a heat shield for the exhaust. They're a common thing to fail like that on loads of cars, and yes, it's a very annoying reverberation. Can you see any rough holes in it where it's pulled away from its mounting points? A lot of the time, you can just use a large washer at each fastener to get it firmly attached once more, even if it's torn free.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Does anyone know what this type of fastener is called? It's a one-time use washer type thing that appears to press on and secure to the post in the center, but when you go to remove it the little tabs formed by the partial cuts in the metal dig in to the plastic, making it necessary to break the metal to get it off. If it matters, these are securing a heat shield to the washer fluid reservoir in my BMW. I need to replace some and don't know what to search for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're called clamping washers.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

InitialDave posted:

It's a heat shield for the exhaust. They're a common thing to fail like that on loads of cars, and yes, it's a very annoying reverberation. Can you see any rough holes in it where it's pulled away from its mounting points? A lot of the time, you can just use a large washer at each fastener to get it firmly attached once more, even if it's torn free.

I thought it was the heat shield too, thanks for helping me confirm it. Looks like there's three points where it tore from, two mounts roughly where I took the picture and one more near the middle of the exhaust. I'll look into the washers, thanks. I took this in Thursday to get an oil change and they didn't mention this at all. Maybe they missed it? I can't iamgine that this happened in the last two days.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They're called clamping washers.

Thanks - I figured it was probably something obvious :doh: Now to see if anybody around here has any.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Black88GTA posted:

Thanks - I figured it was probably something obvious :doh: Now to see if anybody around here has any.

I bought a pack of assorted sizes at O'Reilly's a few weeks ago for $5 or so. If you can bring in the original, or a picture of the original so the salesperson knows what you're talking about, all the better.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mariooncrack posted:

I thought it was the heat shield too, thanks for helping me confirm it. Looks like there's three points where it tore from, two mounts roughly where I took the picture and one more near the middle of the exhaust. I'll look into the washers, thanks. I took this in Thursday to get an oil change and they didn't mention this at all. Maybe they missed it? I can't iamgine that this happened in the last two days.

By the way, the term for extra-wide washers is "fender washers"

They look like this:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I did this.

What's the best way to get it looking semi-reasonable? Unscrew the turn signal and bash the fender straight-ish with a nylon-tipped hammer?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I did this.

What's the best way to get it looking semi-reasonable? Unscrew the turn signal and bash the fender straight-ish with a nylon-tipped hammer?

Aside from taking it to a body shop, maybe an auto body dolly set?

I own one, but am massively unskilled and haven't had much luck with it. It would certainly be a better option than using a bare hammer on it at least.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I did this.

Assuming you enjoyed going offroad and want to do it again:
  • Tear off and throw away the trashed plastic bumper endcap. Appropriately modify other side to fit.
  • Dent the other fender to match at your earliest opportunity - consider utilizing a bigger tree to make up for your newly-found caution.
  • Park next to the first Rubicon with sparkling tires that you see; enjoy a beverage of your choice

If you did not enjoy the whole trail thing:
  • Weigh current bank account balance vs. your various upcoming bills/expenditures/costs
  • Park next to the first Rubicon with sparkling tires that you see; enquire with owner about the best auto body shop in the area

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Honestly, if you plan to off road, just do what Royal said and rip off the plastic endcaps. It's going to get more scars.

Otherwise, that's something a body shop will probably need to tackle, since the metal is creased (and I assume the paint is cracked). If the fender bolts on/off easily, you could always find one of the same color in a junkyard, but silver tends to be difficult to match.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
There are sets of fenders on craigslist pretty regularly - people are always taking them off to put on flat fenders. They aren't hard to remove and replace if you can find a nice paint matched piece. The turn signals couldn't be any simpler to remove and reinstall. Mine has a smaller dent in the same place, probably from a smaller tree :)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
A colleague is translating a text which has the following sentence:

During competition, a car produces around 80 decibels. The distinct ­whining sound comes primarily from the gearbox (sequential gearing, straight screw drive) and motor.

I'm trying to help her with the 'straight screw drive', but I'm coming up short. Any ideas?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dane posted:

During competition, a car produces around 80 decibels. The distinct ­whining sound comes primarily from the gearbox (sequential gearing, straight screw drive) and motor.

I'm trying to help her with the 'straight screw drive', but I'm coming up short. Any ideas?

Straight-cut gears?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Safety Dance posted:

Straight-cut gears?

That's what I assumed as well.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The secondary dash power socket in my 2003 F250 doesn't work with any adapter I plug into it. Here's the weird thing though: I tested it with my multimeter and it has proper voltage. Has anyone come across this before?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

Straight-cut gears?

Perhaps it's talking about the ring & pinion in the diff? So the ring would be straight-cut instead of beveled? Would that even make noise? Does that even make any sense? That's the closest thing to a "screw drive" I can think of in a modern automobile.

kid sinister posted:

The secondary dash power socket in my 2003 F250 doesn't work with any adapter I plug into it. Here's the weird thing though: I tested it with my multimeter and it has proper voltage. Has anyone come across this before?

Maybe it's deeper than most other sockets? Or maybe the center pin is a little bit off-center? If it's not a mechanical problem like that, maybe it's got a terrible connection someplace, so therefore a high resistance, so with no load there appears to be voltage, but as soon as you try to pull current the voltage drops?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It sounds like it's referring to a rally or touring car, both have super whiney straight cut sequential gearboxes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Dane posted:

I'm thinking that that refers to the differential, too. Though, to have "straight-cut" gears there, the pinion axis has to intersect the ring gear's axis. Older differentials actually used a worm-gear drive.

Edit: in addition to the straight-cut gearbox, those things are pretty loud

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kid sinister posted:

Yup, that happened to me.

Turned out to be the adaptor was slightly the wrong shape: the shoulders of the bit that pushes in were not sloped enough. (exaggerate: should have a triangle tip, not a square tip)

It was just enough to prevent contact being made with the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PaintVagrant posted:

It sounds like it's referring to a rally or touring car, both have super whiney straight cut sequential gearboxes.

Sure, but where in a sequential gearbox do they use a screw drive?