Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Tales of Phantasia.

Yeah, it's super old, but the art, battle system and somewhat generic story holds up. I played through the snes version several times in my life and I really enjoyed it. I did not enjoy any of the updated versions since they cocked up the art and a lot of the mechanics but eh.

ToP is one of my favorite old school rpgs, the battle system was really unique at the time and the story was quite good. I recommend it to anybody who likes old SNES era games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

The epitome of passive aggression

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FAROOQ posted:

In persona 4, a book called A Great Man is released on Hitler's birthday.

In persona 4 golden, that book is renamed to The Lovely Man.

in-universe propaganda

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing Pillars of Eternity and it's really surprising me with all the little touches that improve the experience. It's a CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate, but while going back to the early Infinity Engine games can be something of a chore, PoE strives to smooth out all the rough edges. Some examples: When you have your party selected, it will automatically make the person closest or most skilled in the needed skill to go interact with whatever you click. No matter who opens a container, the contents can be given to any character or put in the stash. Oh yeah, the stash; an infinitely(?) large box to keep all the armor, crafting components, and books you find exploring. A half-speed option for keeping an eye on combat and a double-speed option for walking through towns or previously explored locations. All characters can equip all weapons and armor without needing perks or some ability tax. Resting in a dungeon does not come with a risk of a surprise attack, and while it does consume an item (whose maximum amount is dictated by the difficulty level), they're cheap and finding one while exploring is a nice reminder to rest up. Attacks can be queued up. You're notified about quest updates with a pop-up that, when clicked, brings up an expansive journal that has layers of information for each objective. You can purchase customizable characters at the inn to bolster your party before you find named NPCs to join you, or just to experiment with other classes. All classes have the ability to sneak, pick locks, and use scrolls. There's a color-blind setting.

It haven't even gotten the Stronghold the loading screen hints keep referencing, and everything about it seems to have been handled with a lot of care.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Speaking of Pillars of Eternity, I love that the ending slides accounted for the fact that I had a stolen baby in my inventory for the last quarter of the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My favorite thing in GTAV has been accidentally messing up a jump. I managed to mistime a jump over a fence and trevor hit the fence shin first and keeled face first into the dirt.

There are a lot of other things to like and not to like about the game but I think the physics in the GTA games are basically the best.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

My favorite thing in GTAV has been accidentally messing up a jump. I managed to mistime a jump over a fence and trevor hit the fence shin first and keeled face first into the dirt.

There are a lot of other things to like and not to like about the game but I think the physics in the GTA games are basically the best.

Agreed. I have more memories of this than any of the missions in the game.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I will never ever ever ever get tired of screwing up jumps accidentally or intentionally. It's hilarious every single time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

The best little thing is, the cutscene where Trevor trips over Franklin's knee-high fence makes this canon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A lot of people got irritated at the game because it won't let you walk up steep hills without stumbling and sometimes ragdolling right back down, but personally I think it's hilarious, especially if you sweep the leg on another NPC on the way down :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in this here thread before but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is great because it's being told by a narrator and at one point he goes to take a leak, so you just walk through the same train carriage several times until he comes back and can resume his story. The other characters listening to him discuss how truthful he's being in his tales while he's out of the room.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in this here thread before but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is great because it's being told by a narrator and at one point he goes to take a leak, so you just walk through the same train carriage several times until he comes back and can resume his story. The other characters listening to him discuss how truthful he's being in his tales while he's out of the room.

I really love that storyteller gimmick. Especially towards the end when it gets serious ("Do you ever think about...death?"), the character voice their disbelief with your story, and the ending reveals that Dwight D. Eisenhower was a witness to the entire thing was a great way of lending gravity to a story that could very well be complete fiction. And then the collectibles let you know how things went down in the real world, so you appreciate the way the game weaved them together that much more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the part where you duel a guy at the end of a level and Silas pretty clearly annihilates the dude, and then another character's like "but that guy is still alive today!" and Silas is just like "Well I didn't say I killed him! >:|"

I also enjoyed the entire level comprised of characters retelling the story of the Dalton gang's final shootout in different ways, which I think I've posted about in this same thread before :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

I liked the part where you duel a guy at the end of a level and Silas pretty clearly annihilates the dude, and then another character's like "but that guy is still alive today!" and Silas is just like "Well I didn't say I killed him! >:|"

I also enjoyed the entire level comprised of characters retelling the story of the Dalton gang's final shootout in different ways, which I think I've posted about in this same thread before :v:

The Dalton Gang showdown was extra special for me because Stephen King has used them in his stories before. I love that multiple works of fiction have taken a robbery that ended with a perpetrator taking 20+ rounds before dying and used it to such great effect.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

CJacobs posted:

Yeah basically everything was great. Whenever Silas has to correct himself because someone gets loving destroyed and then one of his listeners says "Hey wait that dude's not dead!" Silas has to backpedal. Also yeah, the other level you mention is great too!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in this here thread before but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is great because it's being told by a narrator and at one point he goes to take a leak, so you just walk through the same train carriage several times until he comes back and can resume his story.

Do you have to do the train carriage loop, or can you just hang out in one until the characters stop yakking and proceed without it?

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Mister Adequate posted:

There's also a bit where they finally call him out on finding a a gatling gun every time he's about to be attacked by swarms of enemies. Silas just doubles down on it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FredMSloniker posted:

Do you have to do the train carriage loop, or can you just hang out in one until the characters stop yakking and proceed without it?

I dunno about CoJ, but in MGS3 there's a longass ladder that you climb and it's seriously 50 stories tall and there's a song playing while you climb. Or, if you hang out on the bottom rung until the song is over, the ladder is only 10 feet tall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evilreaver posted:

I dunno about CoJ, but in MGS3 there's a longass ladder that you climb and it's seriously 50 stories tall and there's a song playing while you climb. Or, if you hang out on the bottom rung until the song is over, the ladder is only 10 feet tall.

Every day I learn something new about MGS3 :suspense:.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Evilreaver posted:

WHAT

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Let's have that song, and the not a cappella version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE

God I love this song.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Evilreaver posted:

This makes that whole sequence so much better.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

10 feet is an exaggeration, it's still tall enough that you can't properly see the top from the bottom, but it's only like ten seconds from bottom to top.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

graybook posted:

Let's have that song, and the not a cappella version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE

God I love this song.

It is the best MGS song and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bewilderment posted:

10 feet is an exaggeration, it's still tall enough that you can't properly see the top from the bottom, but it's only like ten seconds from bottom to top.

Yeah, the way it actually works is that the ladder loop, and the song, start once you lose sight of the bottom. The loop ends when the song does, so it doesn't matter how much you actually ascended.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chard posted:

Not so long as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is around.

Tangentially related, one thing I love about MGR is that Free Dominguez, the singer of the industrial band Kidneythieves, does the vocals for Mistral's boss fight in MGR and also did the voice of pop star/AI crimefighter MG Resonance in Deus Ex: Invisible War. Intentional or no I love that they picked the one singer with a history in weird transhumanist cyperpunk games with music whose lyrics explain the themes of the game to do the music for a game all about weird transhumanist cyborgs where the music has lyrics who explain the themes of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvgvsI5jAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Fwb8OrvSw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the MGR boss fights have amazing music, and they even tie the mix into the game. Each boss's song only plays its lyrics when you reach the final phase, except the final boss. His lyrics are on so long as Raiden is holding his sword- there are a couple of ways during the fight in which it can leave his hand, and when that happens it's instrumental until he gets it back. This includes a moment during the climatic QTE animation when he briefly take his hands off it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the way it actually works is that the ladder loop, and the song, start once you lose sight of the bottom. The loop ends when the song does, so it doesn't matter how much you actually ascended.

Wait, what happens if you start climbing down?
I might not grasp the loop. If you wait until the song starts can you climb down continuously until the song ends? Cause if so I would do that everytime. 10 ft up, 100 ft down 20 ft up. Ladders!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chinaman7000 posted:

Agreed. I have more memories of this than any of the missions in the game.

My favorite "missed" GTA5 Jump was the one by the airport. I somehow managed to shoot straight up into the sky, then come back down and land perfectly on the ramp and go back down. It looked like someone just stopped my jump midway then hit the reverse playback button. Then I backed to a cop car.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

The Dalton Gang showdown was extra special for me because Stephen King has used them in his stories before. I love that multiple works of fiction have taken a robbery that ended with a perpetrator taking 20+ rounds before dying and used it to such great effect.

In Gunslinger, that member of the Daltons is basically the only enemy that doesn't go down in 2-3 rounds tops, it's pretty well-done.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

blunt for century posted:

I will never ever ever ever get tired of screwing up jumps accidentally or intentionally. It's hilarious every single time.

I like just running and jumping into someone. For some reason I laugh like an idiot every time Trevor dives at someone and calls them an idiot.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I like just running and jumping into someone. For some reason I laugh like an idiot every time Trevor dives at someone and calls them an idiot.

Running around with Trevor and just slamming into random pedestrians (or punching them) was quite possibly my favorite part of GTAV.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I managed to kill people just by ragdolling into people. Or knocked them out. Whatever, they dropped their cash, they're basically dead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Lambeth posted:

I managed to kill people just by ragdolling into people. Or knocked them out. Whatever, they dropped their cash, they're basically dead.

The smartest thing to do around Trevor is probably just to drop your money and play dead anyway.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

haveblue posted:

All the MGR boss fights have amazing music, and they even tie the mix into the game. Each boss's song only plays its lyrics when you reach the final phase, except the final boss. His lyrics are on so long as Raiden is holding his sword- there are a couple of ways during the fight in which it can leave his hand, and when that happens it's instrumental until he gets it back. This includes a moment during the climatic QTE animation when he briefly take his hands off it.

Also Sam, where the lyrics are always on unless he loses his sword.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Chard posted:

I won't start rating them but MGS has a lot of pretty great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpiDw4KNEU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

mycot posted:

The best little thing is, the cutscene where Trevor trips over Franklin's knee-high fence makes this canon.

Apparently that little scene was Ad-Libbed when Trevor's actor tripped over the fence while doing Motion capture for it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kanfy posted:

I won't start rating them but MGS has a lot of pretty great songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpiDw4KNEU

Nice to see that Portable Ops produced at least one good thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

Apparently that little scene was Ad-Libbed when Trevor's actor tripped over the fence while doing Motion capture for it.

Stephen Ogg adlibbed a lot of Trevor apparently. He was just able to come up with better stuff than what was in the script.

If you've seen some of his TV appearances Trevor is right up his alley in terms of characters he usually plays.

Hell he was on Better Call Saul as a character you could see as a bit more stable Mr. Philips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Stephen Ogg adlibbed a lot of Trevor apparently. He was just able to come up with better stuff than what was in the script.

If you've seen some of his TV appearances Trevor is right up his alley in terms of characters he usually plays.

Hell he was on Better Call Saul as a character you could see as a bit more stable Mr. Philips.
I'd love to see how edgy Trevor was in the non adlibbed script.