Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Corsec posted:

So what's the most successful fortification work other players have constructed, and at what locations?

Rebuilt APC covered with autotargeting pulse turrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, fortifying an actual building is hard mode.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The Lone Badger posted:

Rebuilt APC covered with autotargeting pulse turrets.

Pretty much nothing beats this. Once you have it the overworld becomes completely unthreatening.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Pulse laser turrets are a thing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Add the Vehicle Additions Pack to your world mods (it's included in the download, but needs to be activated). Add tons and tons of turret types, from pulse guns to ballistas to pneumatic spearguns.
Autotargeting turrets require a fair amount of effort to build though, not just the base weapon.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

berzerker posted:

The worst is the completely undocumented system for skill caps. If you have a great bow and arrows, for some reason they'll only level you to like 3 in archery. But then some lovely blowgun will train you to 7 or higher. Then I think the bow can work again, or something. But god forbid anyone write out how it works anyhwere. I still have no clue how to level handguns and rifles.

I was able to get to 7+ using a long bow and metal arrows?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If the weapon's dispersion is greater than dispersion from your skill you can't gain levels with it, their rationale being you can't tell whether it's your aim that's off or the weapon. So, ideally you need to find weapon/ammo combinations with low dispersion scores to train your skills.

A blowgun and its ammo are easy to make, and are hands down the best things for training archery and marksman early on. You might want to train marksman first though, since archery will decrease your dispersion more quickly and make it more difficult to raise marksman.

It's a bit grindy, but that's Cataclysm.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 19, 2015

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I know, but using the best archery weapons will get you to the highest level - I think they set the numbers so that a reflex recurve bow and metal arrows gets you to the highest level. It's less fun with handguns and stuff where you might have to choose between the best handgun and the one that levels your skills. If you're not enjoying the way that the skill caps are implemented you should complain on their board and suggest something better, a lot of the features are unbalanced and that's the only way they know. They probably won't remove the concept of needing an accurate weapon to increase skills, but they tend to respond to suggestions.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
How would I go about making a halfway sustainable vehicle/home? Spawned right in the middle of the city with a bunch of almost working vehicles everywhere, may as well tinker with them.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

esquilax posted:

I was able to get to 7+ using a long bow and metal arrows?

It's also 100% possible I'm encountering some kind of bugs.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

esquilax posted:

They probably won't remove the concept of needing an accurate weapon to increase skills, but they tend to respond to suggestions.
They really should, if only because of the fact that marksmanship also controls weapon mod addition.

No matter how many decades you use a revolver, you'll never figure out how to attach a long barrel to it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

They really should, if only because of the fact that marksmanship also controls weapon mod addition.

No matter how many decades you use a revolver, you'll never figure out how to attach a long barrel to it.

Game really could just roll a few skills into a combined tinkering skill, and divorce weapon mods from marksmanship. Shooting guns a bunch doesn't teach you anything about modifying them irl, anyway.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I can sort of see how you might want some real world experience when adjusting the trigger or something, but you shouldn't have to be a ninja marksman.

Anyone know what book has the recipe for steel crossbow bolts, by the way? Or if it exists?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I can sort of see how you might want some real world experience when adjusting the trigger or something, but you shouldn't have to be a ninja marksman.

Anyone know what book has the recipe for steel crossbow bolts, by the way? Or if it exists?

Pretty much every basic archery projectile is in fletcher's friend, including steel bolts if I remember right.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
A lot of problems in this game are solved by jacking up your starting skill points and not bothering with min/max BS. I just do 12 starting points and a slightly tweaked random character. Random character + all professions in all scenarios is really fun. Everyone should try it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Does wheel radius actually affect anything, mechanically?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RickVoid posted:

Game really could just roll a few skills into a combined tinkering skill, and divorce weapon mods from marksmanship. Shooting guns a bunch doesn't teach you anything about modifying them irl, anyway.

Make some kind of tinkering skill that covers weapon mods, let you gain 1 rank in it from using guns and justify it by saying something about learning weapon maintenance while you've been using your guns.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

nftyw posted:

Archery is one of those skills you have to get books for or haha forget it.

I remember when this wasn't the case and you actually could train your way to good bows and arrows. Those were good times, shame the devs listen too much to the dudes who think that stuff they find boring and easy must be removed for everyone even though it's a singleplayer game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slime posted:

Make some kind of tinkering skill that covers weapon mods, let you gain 1 rank in it from using guns and justify it by saying something about learning weapon maintenance while you've been using your guns.
There's already both fabrication and mechanics. Moving it to one of those (probably the latter) would make more sense, I think, then creating another new skill.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

There's already both fabrication and mechanics. Moving it to one of those (probably the latter) would make more sense, I think, then creating another new skill.

I feel we could probably mash those two together into a general tinkering skill. Occam's Razor that poo poo, we don't need two different skills for making things. poo poo let's throw tailoring in there too, just make the recipes have the same general requirements they have now (IE, still need a needle and thread for clothes, cutting and hammering tools for other things, etc). We can even keep the stuff separated into their own separate tabs, they just would call from the same skill. Then you just need to reduce overall increases to the skill to balance the fact that three or more different things are hitting the same skill now.

I'm sure this post is making a grog out there scream and froth in rage.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 19, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

RickVoid posted:

I feel we could probably mash those two together into a general tinkering skill. Occam's Razor that poo poo, we don't need two different skills for making things. poo poo let's throw tailoring in there too, just make the recipes have the same general requirements they have now (IE, still need a needle and thread for clothes, cutting and hammering tools for other things, etc). We can even keep the stuff separated into their own separate tabs, they just would call from the same skill. Then you just need to reduce overall increases to the skill to balance the fact that three or more different things are hitting the same skill now.

I'm sure this post is making a grog out there scream and froth in rage.
Nah, that seems like overkill. Making clothes is different from making engines is different from brewing chemicals - I'm content with having them be different skills, just like there's different skills for handguns versus rifles.

Anyway, funny thing. It seems like firearm dispersion can in fact go negative in practice - but only sometimes. A mossberg 500 shotgun has a base dispersion of 15, plus 75 dispersion for being loaded with slugs for a total of 90. (i.e., listed dispersion of 15+75 = 90) When fitted with a barrel extension, which lists a dispersion modifier of 90, the total dispersion drops to (0+75 = 15) - though it appears to go no lower, even if I throw on additional dispersion-reducing mods.

Meanwhile, I finally found an L2037 backup, the revolver that fires 5.56 ammo - this one has a dispersion of of 75+60 = 135. Fitting it with everything I can drops this no lower than 0+60 = 60, sadly.

The range is also a little weird, looking at it...0+38 = 30? What's up with that.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Range is usually set by the bullet's statistics rather than the gun, some weapons might tack on some extra range, like that 9mm rifle, but in general if you load a weapon with low end ammunition the range suffers for it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

nftyw posted:

Range is usually set by the bullet's statistics rather than the gun, some weapons might tack on some extra range, like that 9mm rifle, but in general if you load a weapon with low end ammunition the range suffers for it.
Yeah, but the second number is the bullet's statistic. Reloaded 5.56 has range 38, and the gun has no range effect, but when you put them together it apparently has a range of 30.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but the second number is the bullet's statistic. Reloaded 5.56 has range 38, and the gun has no range effect, but when you put them together it apparently has a range of 30.

The code says the L2037 backup has a -8 range modifier. It seems to be a display bug. It looks like the display bug affects the other 3 weapons that have negative range modifiers as well.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I tried the game out in the basic setting. Here's a recount of poor and doomed Joseph Vincent.

Joseph's Life posted:

-Wandered around the shelter.
-Walked out of it, ran back in due to Zombie Fox.
-Punch the poo poo out of a zombie, then get his trenchcoat.
-Smoke some crack.
-Punch the poo poo out of a fat zombie.
-Try to punch more zombies, but wind up surrounded in no time since the shelter wasn't sealed properly.
-Yell about wanting more crack as he's decapitated.

Now, I'm very new to this as you can tell. Should I be worried about fighting zombies and feral hunters when I start or go gather poo poo?

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

widespread posted:

Now, I'm very new to this as you can tell. Should I be worried about fighting zombies and feral hunters when I start or go gather poo poo?

When you head into town yes. The main thing to keep in mind is dont worry about dying, you WILL die many times before getting the hang of this game unless you are a veteran roguelike player.

Xii fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 20, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Punching the poo poo out of zombies while on crack clearly shows you're a natural. Just keep aware of your exits in a building (in a pinch, an open window that has no monsters waiting to catch you beats a door that's being battered down) and take advantage of zombies being slower than you by running off before they're literally on top of you, it's much easier to avoid being surrounded that way. You can even punch the poo poo out of zombies while they're climbing in the windows if you wanna be a pro (or kite them through bushes while outside!).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Punching the poo poo out of zombies while on crack clearly shows you're a natural. Just keep aware of your exits in a building (in a pinch, an open window that has no monsters waiting to catch you beats a door that's being battered down) and take advantage of zombies being slower than you by running off before they're literally on top of you, it's much easier to avoid being surrounded that way. You can even punch the poo poo out of zombies while they're climbing in the windows if you wanna be a pro (or kite them through bushes while outside!).

That does sound like good tactics. Now, is heading north from the shelter any good? Or should I not due to frostbite?

Also, is it okay for me to take literally everything I can pick off of corpses? Or is it ill-advised due to encumberances? Also, I will indefinitely be a crackhead character since holy poo poo they're drug magnets or something.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

esquilax posted:

The code says the L2037 backup has a -8 range modifier. It seems to be a display bug. It looks like the display bug affects the other 3 weapons that have negative range modifiers as well.
Ah, that'd do it then.

widespread posted:

Also, is it okay for me to take literally everything I can pick off of corpses? Or is it ill-advised due to encumberances? Also, I will indefinitely be a crackhead character since holy poo poo they're drug magnets or something.
You will have no practical use for 99% of what you find, particularly on corpses.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 20, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Most of what drops from zombies are clothes and stuff which is less useful when you're fully geared up, wearing too much will have a negative modifier on your melee attacks so yeah there is that.. They do have a chance of dropping some neat stuff, plant seeds, gun, ammo, tools, but once you get geared up the odds of getting something you need is pretty low.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

widespread posted:

That does sound like good tactics. Now, is heading north from the shelter any good? Or should I not due to frostbite?

Exploring is good, you are very likely not going to find quality winter clothing in the shelter - the guaranteed jacket works, but the encumbrance is horrible and you can do way better with finds in buildings.

I'm agreed that corpses are dicey, but sometimes they are invaluable - they can have inexplicable bags of drugs, tools, and high-quality clothing in good condition which saves time and energy that otherwise would have been spent having to travel to the right store or ransacking dozens of houses. screwdrivers! scissors!! You cannot carry literally everything you find though even if it's useful and 99% of what corpses have on them is clothing, which is generally not either useful or in usable shape. Since bland beat up clothing is only good for the pitiful number of rags they may give, and sheets you can get from tearing down curtains on windows give so, so many more rags, they're basically worthless. As for the rest of the stuff you can find, ideally you should only be carrying around stuff you're going to use or wear - weapons, useful and usable clothing/armor, food, and water. You want to ideally travel as light as possible while you're starting out in melee - the only times it's safe to get loaded down with crap and send your encumbrance through the roof with low melee skill is if you've either got yourself set with good skill in some form of ranged combat (lucky archery book finds perhaps) or if you have good condition heavy armor the average zombie can't bite through.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^^ First house I bust into has two pairs of scissors and a chainsaw. Now, after 3 days of methodically exploring a town and eliminating the zombie and npc threat I have not managed to find any ducttape or a screwdriver.

What use does the Gamma Globulin Shot have? Is it like the flu shot and a preventative measure or is it something I should be saving for a Really Bad DayTM?

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 20, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

^^^^ First house I bust into has two pairs of scissors and a chainsaw. Now, after 3 days of methodically exploring a town and eliminating the zombie and npc threat I have not managed to find any ducttape or a screwdriver.

What use does the Gamma Globulin Shot have? Is it like the flu shot and a preventative measure or is it something I should be saving for a Really Bad DayTM?
Pretty sure it just boosts your invisible health stat, and is something you should take whenever you find it.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Pretty sure it just boosts your invisible health stat, and is something you should take whenever you find it.

The invisible health stat is also why you should scarf down a handful of vitamins each day. Keeping the stat high means shorter/no common illnesses like cold or flu.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively wear a filter mask 24/7 and never ever get sick.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Filter mask doesn't prevent smoke inhalation, does it?

That's why I basically wear a gas mask 24/7. That and bloated zombies.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Strudel Man posted:

Filter mask doesn't prevent smoke inhalation, does it?

That's why I basically wear a gas mask 24/7. That and bloated zombies.

Yes it does. So does the survivor mask, or enough dust masks. It's just whether your environmental protection is above X.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
3d reality bubble just got merged in, it looks like. From what I've heard, the guy working on the full multilevel support wasn't going to merge anything until he was sure he could finish it all without someone else swooping in and taking the bounties, so...

It seems like things might soon be getting a bit more interesting.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Needs to be a way to push zombies now. I want to kill them with fall damage from a skyscraper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

GlyphGryph posted:

3d reality bubble just got merged in, it looks like. From what I've heard, the guy working on the full multilevel support wasn't going to merge anything until he was sure he could finish it all without someone else swooping in and taking the bounties, so...

It seems like things might soon be getting a bit more interesting.

Im not sure I get this. Is there a problem of people claiming undue credit on the repository?