Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I finally escaped from a Lab start! It was a harrowing tale with many close calls, but my unwilling mutant and her shotgun-toting companion managed to flee the facility through a sewer channel, once she'd saved him by getting some antibiotics to help him treat his infection. Unfortunately her pal died mysteriously while they were fighting dozens of giant ants (I'm guessing either poison or bleeding did him in), leaving her to wade through the sewage and fight the ants by herself, armed with only a makeshift crowbar and a steely will to live. After three loving days of wading through the sewers, sustaining herself on raw ant meat and hoarded clean water, she finally emerged into some subway tunnels! A lengthy wander and two narrowly-won battles against Mi-Go later, the mutant triumphantly ascended into natural sunlight and glorious, blessed freedom. Now she's holed up in a nice little house with tons of food and water and plenty of books to read. Also, she's mutating into a lizard.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Needs to be a way to push zombies now. I want to kill them with fall damage from a skyscraper!

Blunt criticals can make them stagger around randomly. I've killed a couple by making them stumble out of broken windows in office buildings. Z-level fall damage seems to be instantly fatal to zombies, judging from the fact that falling from one story up apparently does enough harm to automatically kill a tough zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PiCroft posted:

Im not sure I get this. Is there a problem of people claiming undue credit on the repository?

There's significant monetary bounties on these issues as a result of the kickstarter. From what I remember talking to people a few weeks ago, he said he wanted to take them all, so he wouldn't start releasing stuff until he felt he was far enough along he could claim all of them without having to worry about someone else independently building on his first several commits to finish the later features and nab the bounties. Since the z-level thing is broken into multiple smaller bounties.

So either he's decided he can finish it all, or he's decided that he's done about as much as he wants to and wants to cash out, and doesn't mind people building off of it to claim the other dollar amounts.

This is all from a casual conversation though and might not have any bearing on the current reality of a month later and is obviously dependent on me not having misheard or misunderstood anything. I get the feeling we're going to see more z-level progress in the near future though.

Edit:
Oh heck, I just looked through and he did do a whole bunch this month alone.

The one an hour ago allows looking up and down through the z-levels.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 20, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

GlyphGryph posted:

There's significant monetary bounties on these issues as a result of the kickstarter. From what I remember talking to people a few weeks ago, he said he wanted to take them all, so he wouldn't start releasing stuff until he felt he was far enough along he could claim all of them without having to worry about someone else independently building on his first several commits to finish the later features and nab the bounties. Since the z-level thing is broken into multiple smaller bounties.

So either he's decided he can finish it all, or he's decided that he's done about as much as he wants to and wants to cash out, and doesn't mind people building off of it to claim the other dollar amounts.

This is all from a casual conversation though and might not have any bearing on the current reality of a month later. I get the feeling we're going to see more z-level progress in the near future though.

Oh I see. I had completely forgot this went on Kickstarter. I certainly didn't realise there were monetary rewards at his point.

On the topic of 3D environments, I'm looking forward to multi-level buildings. And also multi-level vehicles! Imagine making a mobile base from a double-decker...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Here's the guy and his prs for the last month:
https://github.com/Coolthulhu?tab=contributions&period=monthly

It's really looking like we'll have full z-level support for the next version. Pretty sweet.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...

Angry Diplomat posted:

I finally escaped from a Lab start!

I've found that escaping from labs is pretty simple if you can get your hands on a teleporter.

And find the stairs up. That helps too.

It's pretty much my favorite way to start characters now, because if they die they die quick and if they escape the tend to last.

Right now I've been trying to push a Ninja build through, but I always forget to turn Safemode back on and get shredded by turrets. Great fun!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've talked to Kevin and to help with the guys worry, if someone tries to swoop them i'll price match and give the guy the cash.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yamtaggler posted:

Right now I've been trying to push a Ninja build through, but I always forget to turn Safemode back on and get shredded by turrets. Great fun!

I find auto-safemode really helpful for that. Default is 50 turns which is usually plenty of time to ensure enemies you haven't killed yet or left far behind don't trip it repeatedly while you're trying to do one of those.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Welp, I think I completely hosed my best playthrough so far. I've holed up in a cathedral and managed to accumulate a pretty good stash of tools and materials. Cleared up a good chunk of a nearby town, no significant hazards nearby. A zombie bit me and there aren't any pharmacies nearby, the closest thing is adoctor's office. It's completely empty except for a locked room behind a steel door. Of course, I bricked the console like an idiot. So, I crafted a few pipe bombs, and like an even bigger idiot, instead of throwing it, I lay it beside the door and walk away. :negative:

Now I'm all hosed up from the explosion, with a few additional bite wounds, dead tired and wrecked by infection. Is there any way I can get through that door? I have access to gasoline and crafting skills in the 3-4 range. No vehicle though. I threw like 3 pipe bombs at that thing with no effect.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Someone else might have advice on actually breaking into the doctor's office. But maybe you have some alternative solutions you can pursue.

Have you got any first aid kits stashed away? You can clean infected wounds with those. In the future, if you have a soldering iron or a knife and some flame you can attempt to cauterize fresh bite wounds with a 50% chance. (Fresh is within 6 hours I think? As long as it says Bite on your character screen, anyway.) Failure ages the bite wound by a little bit. Either way you suffer some small damage and a lot of pain. Or you can use disinfectant to clean fresh bite wounds with a 100% chance. Military surplus stores and I think sporting goods stores have pretty good chances for first aid if you don't have a stockpile. If you don't have any of those your odds are looking pretty grim. You can scavenge through every nearby house to try and find first aid or antibiotics. The spawn rate for those is quite low in houses, but they can appear.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pipe bombs are hit and miss, in my experience mostly miss. You could keep trying though, you might get lucky. Dynamite would be better, or C4.

Alternatively, try driving a truck through it.

If the wound is infected and you can't get any antibiotics or first aid then you're hosed. RIP.

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Infection

Edit: first aid kits can be occasionally found in house bathrooms.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
If you lost the Bite (wherever) status then yeah check as many bathrooms as you can as fast as you can. Otherwise you can try to cauterize but it sounds like you're well past that point.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, that's the problem, I have zero med supplies and I checked all the nearby houses already. However, I might be able to make grenades if I get a hold of some pilot lights. I also forgot there's a minefield nearby, is it possible to dig up mines?

Surely, nothing can go wrong with this.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I recommend the homewrecker for breaking into doctors offices by going through the wall. It's a very unwieldy weapon, but it has extremely high bashing damage, enough to let you damage regular walls and eventually bust through them. Always break in from the outside and never while inside the building or you might find yourself buried underneath a freshly collapsed building.

As for explosive breaching, pipe bombs are a bit on the weak side. I think you're gonna want dynamite or stronger to get through walls. I think grenades should also be strong enough. I'm not too experienced with the other low tier explosives so I can't speak too much on them, but any medium tier explosives should blow a wall just fine. Mininukes and other high tier explosives will easily take out a wall along with most of the building.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
In my admittedly narrow experience it's actually very possible to disarm mines as a no skill schmuck. I've only ever attempted it twice but I'm 2/2!

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Cauterizing only works for deep wounds - the blue status. If it turns green, you're kinda out of luck, since you've got about a day or two before you die.

Also, pipe bombs are pretty much worthless, in fact all shrapnel explosives are. If you need to get through a wall early in the game, your best bet is slamming a car through it, or possibly hoping for a jackhammer in a hardware store. I think you can also use an acetylene torch to get through metal doors, but I'm not sure.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
acy torch is the easiest and fasted way besides having enough hacking skill

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lol, I'm dumb as hell, I have both a jackhammer and a torch :downs:

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Odds are there's nothing of real value in that back office though, you're still playing long odds. You're almost better off just running around checking backrooms. A first aid kit will clean up an infection too, as will royal jelly.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Did something change about encumberment/accuracy in the new nightly? Suddenly I can't hit poo poo for poo poo.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Flaming eyes insta-destroying vehicle parts with their gaze is kinda BS.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Did something change about encumberment/accuracy in the new nightly? Suddenly I can't hit poo poo for poo poo.

How new? Big changes to encumbrance about a month ago.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Nah I've updated since then, I was probably being a big retard and wearing two coats or something. Lost that character by going into a basement and immediately being mobbed by survivor zombies and a smoker yay!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Anyone notice any issues wearing helmets? I can't wear helmets anymore. I wondered if it was a change to the Ugly trait I usually take with a new experimental, so I made a test character wearing literally nothing and having no traits, can't wear a helmet. It makes me real sad because I like rolling with a motorcycle helmet and getting all Hotline Miami about it.

E: Updated my experimental, and now I can wear a helmet with the best of 'em. My mom is super proud.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 21, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

berzerker posted:

Odds are there's nothing of real value in that back office though, you're still playing long odds. You're almost better off just running around checking backrooms. A first aid kit will clean up an infection too, as will royal jelly.

I got lucky, there was a bottle of antibiotic. The saga of cybercop Junior Meza continues.

e: Any tips on building a solar power unit to power a crafting station? How many panels / frames should I aim for?

e2: Oh poo poo, disassembling solar panels yields separate cells? That's not good.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 21, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I just recommend taking a solar car that has no wheels, jacking two tires from another car and then driving it to a safe spot and ripping out the interior to add a onboard chem lab, vehicle forge rig, recharging station and maybe a foodco kitchen buddy. Solar panels take a lot of skill to stick onto a vehicle I believe so just adding whatever you stations you need into an electric car is probable easiest, and as long as you aren't trying to power a fridge or leave the lights on all day the panels recharge plenty of energy to keep the stations going.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, that seems to be the easiest way.

So, an electric car left to itself will charge it's batteries automatically, right? I ask because I have a few sitting around, and they seem to be permanently stuck at the same battery level. This is inside my reality bubble, so I wonder if I need to turn it on or something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well, my escaped mutant died because a wandering survivor told her to drop her weapon, warned her to get lost, and then shot her 77,000 times when she failed to get lost fast enough due to being tired, hurt, and cold. I think I'm going to turn random NPCs off for a while; they seem to spawn way too densely, their behaviour as allies is really bizarre sometimes, and they have an annoying tendency to spawn with guns, shitloads of ammo, good armour, mountains of health, and a hellbent obsession with stealing your poo poo.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

So, an electric car left to itself will charge it's batteries automatically, right? I ask because I have a few sitting around, and they seem to be permanently stuck at the same battery level. This is inside my reality bubble, so I wonder if I need to turn it on or something.
Solar panels regenerate passively, so you don't need to do anything. There are also lovely at that, and take ages to regenerate power.

The base electric car has two storage batteries, with 200,000 power, so you won't see that go up 1% until you reach 2,000 power.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I believe solar panels also only work while in your reality bubble, so they won't charge while you're more than ~60 tiles away.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well, my escaped mutant died because a wandering survivor told her to drop her weapon, warned her to get lost, and then shot her 77,000 times when she failed to get lost fast enough due to being tired, hurt, and cold. I think I'm going to turn random NPCs off for a while; they seem to spawn way too densely, their behaviour as allies is really bizarre sometimes, and they have an annoying tendency to spawn with guns, shitloads of ammo, good armour, mountains of health, and a hellbent obsession with stealing your poo poo.
Alternatively, the current experimentals allow you to tone down NPC spawn rates. 10-20% of base rate is pretty good.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Ahaha. Had a great dude going, unlimited food and water, power armor, fully fueled car, looking to build up an RV when I finally found a garage for my first chance at a welder. I accidentally closed the garage door on my head and died instantly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, eyebots are big. A broken one is 60 volume, 60 mass - and the recipe for a security camera requires two of the things. No other way to make them, either, apparently.

edit: Wait, no, there is another recipe. Why didn't that pop up for me before?

a slime posted:

Ahaha. Had a great dude going, unlimited food and water, power armor, fully fueled car, looking to build up an RV when I finally found a garage for my first chance at a welder. I accidentally closed the garage door on my head and died instantly.
What a way to go.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 21, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Oh gently caress oh gently caress

I started a fire on my fireplace to make some arrows. I set up a batch of about 10 bundles, some messages pop up that I instinctively click through, it's probably a dumb cough or something. Welp, turns out that instead of in the fireplace, I set fire to a bench next to it. So suddenly the whole base if full of smoke, I'm burned and don't see poo poo. Before I take one step towards a nearby jug of water, my gasoline stash catches fire.

So not only is my dude hosed, I probably lost the entire stock of food, tools, skillbooks and materials collected over two seasons. :negative:
Then the ceiling collapsed on top of me.

As an aside, it's kinda funny what kind of events the memorial file is curently tracking

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
drat that's a lovely way to go. I always set my firepit up outside because I'm so paranoid about that happening.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

B-but then I'd have to walk out there with my stuff every time to craft and and :negative:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

grate deceiver posted:

B-but then I'd have to walk out there with my stuff every time to craft and and :negative:

Clearly what you need to do is build multiple fireplaces in a C-formation so you can afford to screw up the direction a little.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Build your home out of fireplaces. No matter which tile you set on fire, it will never spread. Seems simple enough.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Lol if you don't cook and craft everything with the heat-pads installed in your arms.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Eventually I just drag a hotdog stand over near a powered terminal, weld a solar panel to it, never have to worry about fire again. Of course by then I'd already have integrated toolsets, so big whoop. Alternatively you could rip a storage battery with its removable battery unit from a busted electric car and slap it on instead, and use a functioning solar car as a battery charging station nearby. Electricity stops being a major concern when you have twelve electric cars all slowly recharging their batteries each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
So I can't use my welding rig on my car to fix my car? That's lame. E: Apparently it lists both the powered welder and the goggles being required as "powered welder", grabbed some goggles and it works fine.