Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does the Moto 360 have this capability, or am I going to be getting a new watch in the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Takoluka posted:

Does the Moto 360 have this capability, or am I going to be getting a new watch in the near future?

Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. I do not own a smartwatch yet, and that sounds like a cool feature. Do I have to wait for the next generation, or do the current watches already have the hardware to support this?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Takoluka posted:

looks like you'll have to wait for some reason:

quote:

These updates are coming to all seven Android Wear watches over the next few weeks, starting with the new LG Watch Urbane.

They don't have carriers to worry about and they still can't manage to update them all simultaneously?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Takoluka posted:

I'd probably assume not, unless it was originally advertised as "wifi ready" like the Sony watch was. From the iFixit teardown it looks like the 360 "might" be using a TI chipset that supports wifi/BLE, but the wifi part might be disabled for power savings.

I stand corrected.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/04/moto-360-its-time-for-update.html?linkId=13654909

quote:

Simpler, easier and more fun. In the next few weeks, an update is coming to Moto 360 equipped with fun few new features like Wi-Fi connectivity, new gestures and easy-to-draw emojis. That way, you can get more done and have some fun with your watch.

I would bet wifi connectivity might be a prerequisite to iOS support, if they ever do such a thing. The device would need its own connectivity to bridge the gap between what Android can do with another Android device and what iOS would let it do otherwise.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kitten smoothie posted:

I stand corrected.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/04/moto-360-its-time-for-update.html?linkId=13654909

I would bet wifi connectivity might be a prerequisite to iOS support, if they ever do such a thing. The device would need its own connectivity to bridge the gap between what Android can do with another Android device and what iOS would let it do otherwise.

Oh man, I'm super excited. I guess we'll see how well it works when it drops soon.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So, are they just going to release that new model shown and keep calling it the same thing, or what?

e; or is the person making screen mockups doing a subpar job?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd probably assume not, unless it was originally advertised as "wifi ready" like the Sony watch was. From the iFixit teardown it looks like the 360 "might" be using a TI chipset that supports wifi/BLE, but the wifi part might be disabled for power savings.

I stand corrected.

Still a little embarrassed about the flat tire hah

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

RVProfootballer posted:

Still a little embarrassed about the flat tire hah

One of the watches on the top of the moto blog site has the tire and one doesn't...

The 360-2 is basically all but confirmed at this point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I really thought the flat tire was going to bother me, but I grew to like the design. The LG Watch R feels strange now.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I cant exactly say that i would miss the flat tire on a 360-2 (They should call it the 720) but it doesnt really bother me. Its smaller than i feared (this goes for the whole 360) and after a couple of days you just stop noticing it.

I'm also pretty loving excited about potential Wifi connectivity on the 360.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 20, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

w00tazn posted:

One of the watches on the top of the moto blog site has the tire and one doesn't...

The 360-2 is basically all but confirmed at this point.
If you zoom and enhance that second watch does show some flat tire, just maybe not quite as much as a 360 should have.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Had the watch for a week and the flat tire doesn't bother me in the least bit. The biggest thing I feel like I'm missing with AW is the ability to cruise through my list of text messages/hangouts/emails/calendar and not just see the incoming that's in the hopper. I understand that it's a design decision, but I'm looking for one level deeper as an extension of my phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sony made a blog post about the Android Wear 5.1 update.

Two of the items in their list were not mentioned previously:

quote:

* Much like your Android smartphone, the new Android Wear update will bring pop up notifications (even when youre looking at something else), meaning youll never miss anything important

* New adjustable font sizes will let you can see more or less of the text on-screen

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Vague question here but are there any conventions or conferences coming up anytime soon where Motorola could announce a new Moto 360?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Had the watch for a week and the flat tire doesn't bother me in the least bit. The biggest thing I feel like I'm missing with AW is the ability to cruise through my list of text messages/hangouts/emails/calendar and not just see the incoming that's in the hopper. I understand that it's a design decision, but I'm looking for one level deeper as an extension of my phone.

I think the idea is that you shouldn't be using your watch to go back in time 30 days in text messages. You can look back in the conversation and that's enough.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Vagrancy posted:

Only thing you'd lose is Now cards in the card stream.

Can you be a little more specific? I've not used Now because it requires location data to be turned on which makes my inner tinfoil hatter break out in hives.

Edit: I'm aware what Now does conceptually but I'm not exactly sure what portions of it are vital to Wear general functionality. I've been under the impression that push notifications and such are handled by it's API hooks but I could very well be misinformed.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Can you be a little more specific? I've not used Now because it requires location data to be turned on which makes my inner tinfoil hatter break out in hives.

Edit: I'm aware what Now does conceptually but I'm not exactly sure what portions of it are vital to Wear general functionality. I've been under the impression that push notifications and such are handled by it's API hooks but I could very well be misinformed.

Just use it. No one cares about your cat photos or level 90 orc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think the idea is that you shouldn't be using your watch to go back in time 30 days in text messages. You can look back in the conversation and that's enough.

No that's fair, but once you swipe there is no going back to even the most recent. Like I said, I feel like the sweet spot is somewhere between the notification management and full access to all.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shai-Hulud posted:

I cant exactly say that i would miss the flat tire on a 360-2 (They should call it the 720)

They should really take the piss on everyone and call it the Moto One.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

Vague question here but are there any conventions or conferences coming up anytime soon where Motorola could announce a new Moto 360?

Google I/O? End of May.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

I don't think any of us will know first hand because Now is one of the best things about Android and Android Wear and I'm guessing we all use it. But according to Reddit, it will work.

With that said, Google Now is pretty great, and you should use it. Google is not going to let anyone but Google know about your location without deliberate action on your part.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Get over it? If you don't want Google to have all your data, you should stop using Google services and Android. If you are using Google services, at least let them give you some benefit of them data mining you. Your location is like the least of the things they already know about you anyway, hah.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah if privacy is a concern then sell your phone and don't even think of buying a watch. And disconnect your internet.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 20, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You have to surrender your privacy to use this stuff. That's the point. No one is being rude to you, we're telling the truth.

edit: haha holy gently caress you are a spaz. Not wasting another reply on this

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 21, 2015

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 20, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

Hey maybe you could answer the question of 'what functionality to I lose by not enabling google now with android wear" instead of getting all huffy that I'm not utilizing my gadgets in exactly the way which you deem preferable.

Look, all I want to know is if I can get push notifications (texts/email synopsis) and control my media playback without enabling google now. Is that so hard a thing to expound upon?

Rastor posted:

according to Reddit, it will work.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Hey maybe you could answer the question of 'what functionality to I lose by not enabling google now with android wear" instead of getting all huffy that I'm not utilizing my gadgets in exactly the way which you deem preferable.

Look, all I want to know is if I can get push notifications (texts/email synopsis) and control my media playback without enabling google now. Is that so hard a thing to expound upon?

\/\/ I got that memo, my commentary wasn't really pointed at you. My hope was to enable some discussion regarding the pros and cons of Wear as a platform and elaboration as to what it can do without enabling intrusive ad-ons designed to data-mine your entire life. Not spur yet another ridiculous tangent about how a hypothetical user Is Doing It Wrong (tm).

MC Hawking posted:

Get a goddamn grip

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

RVProfootballer posted:

"With GPS and offline music support, you can already leave your phone at home, then go jogging and jamming like normal. Now Android Wear supports watches with built-in Wi-Fi. As long as your watch is connected to a Wi-Fi network, and your phone has a data connection (wherever it is), you’ll be able to get notifications, send messages, and use all your favorite apps."

Cool

This may come as a shock to them, but the only part of my jogging route which has Wi-Fi coverage is the part starting and ending at my house. These seem like totally disparate features.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I think it's not really meant for running or activities but for office or around house usage. Most of the time I leave my phone at my desk but the BT connection obviously doesn't reach very far. With this update, I'll be able to see notifications even when I'm out of range. Same when I'm in the garden in front of my house. My Wi-Fi is strong enough, so I won't miss anything when I'm outside.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Except the quote (from the AW blog) specifically says that you can do that. Which you could, if your run route had ubiquitous WiFi coverage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

This may come as a shock to them, but the only part of my jogging route which has Wi-Fi coverage is the part starting and ending at my house. These seem like totally disparate features.

Haha, they weren't saying you'd have WiFi on your runs, they're giving examples of functionality that you have without your phone. Before, you could still use GPS and offline music playback without your phone. Soon, you'll be able to use your watch more without your phone, as long as they're both on WiFi.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

What's up with the extra chronograph(?) dial on some of the watch faces? I don't get it.

It's always stuck at 4 and doesn't seem to do anything.

None of my searches have been helpful. :(

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, they weren't saying you'd have WiFi on your runs, they're giving examples of functionality that you have without your phone. Before, you could still use GPS and offline music playback without your phone. Soon, you'll be able to use your watch more without your phone, as long as they're both on WiFi.

I know, my point was that they shouldn't have run them together in the same paragraph, but to treat the disparate features as separate in their marketing copy. I probably should've been clearer (...which then in this case means I'm the pot calling the Motorola kettle black)

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I have recently gotten a Sony SmartWatch 3 using credit card reward points, and I think it's pretty sweet. Usin' the Goldeneye 64 watch face, yeah boyee

AnimalChin posted:

None of my searches have been helpful. :(

Month?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Holy crap.

:bang:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Holy crap.

:bang:

Hilarious because I didn't know the answer too but drat was that obvious

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

HJE-Cobra posted:

I have recently gotten a Sony SmartWatch 3 using credit card reward points, and I think it's pretty sweet. Usin' the Goldeneye 64 watch face, yeah boyee

Jesus H., I looked up a photo of it and it is sexy as hell. Whichever watch it is seems mega huge, and I've got tiny wrists :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That's a Moto 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Ok, wasn't sure. I'm assuming the 360-2 or whatever will be as big or bigger since we've well past the "smaller gadget is better" phase with phones as of 5-6 years ago. drat.