Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can think of Millenniumon as cool when his only goal was to get Ryo to notice him. Ryo isn't even cool, why the hell are you warping the fabric of reality constantly just to have him pay attention to you? He's got other Digimon, man, let it go.

Literally the only cool thing about him, if you can even call it that, is that he succeeds. After four games. And even there only by being forcefully fused into another Digimon.

The point is no one actually bothers to learn what those games are about, instead focusing on all the lies and stuff that's been created over the years, like "He can destroy the entire universe" and "he unleashed Apocalymon" and stuff.

It's pretty embarrassing how all this information persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The point is no one actually bothers to learn what those games are about, instead focusing on all the lies and stuff that's been created over the years, like "He can destroy the entire universe" and "he unleashed Apocalymon" and stuff.

It's pretty embarrassing how all this information persists.

It's even more embarrassing when it's treated as fact on wikis and crap.

Apocalymon in season 1 wasn't even a Digimon- he was this discarded abomination that took the shape of a Digimon because he was literally made up of all the dead ones who couldn't evolve and survive. His very presence warped space and time itself and he was a cancer to all of life.

BUT NOPE according to some non canon games, some lovely Digimon who I'm still not entirely sure how he came to be because the only thing I've seen makes no goddamn sense, that a Kimeramon (which didn't exist until season 2) and Machinedramon (Who died, and otherwise didn't exist until Apocalymon made him) found each other and fused into him and then he...went back in time I guess? And got horny over some other kid?

And then that Digimon did...stuff and unleashed Apocalymon?

...I am so happy the only season we've even caught a glimpse of Mellinal was season 2, objectively the dumbest season.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing is, that isn't even in the game. It's made up. It is not part of Adventure's plot, or the Ryo games' plot.

and the Kimeramon that fused with Mugendramon is a different one from the one Ken created. It's kind of vague how that works out, but they're different individuals all the same.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The thing is, that isn't even in the game. It's made up. It is not part of Adventure's plot, or the Ryo games' plot.

and the Kimeramon that fused with Mugendramon is a different one from the one Ken created. It's kind of vague how that works out, but they're different individuals all the same.

That's amazing to me, that even THAT, the only origin I know for him, is both made up, and well known enough to be acknowledged.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Burkion posted:

That's amazing to me, that even THAT, the only origin I know for him, is both made up, and well known enough to be acknowledged.

to be completely fair, as dumb as Milleniumon is because we're throwing in time travel into a deluge of wacky story already, the idea that he implanted Ken with a Dark Spore to create Kimeramon specifically so he would stable timeloop his own rear end is kind of hilarious. Untill you get to all the other logic holes of time travel.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gotta give props to that liar dude, he managed the perfect lie that continues on to this day because he knows nobody would actually go through the hassle of playing an early Digimon game in order to prove him wrong.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.syldra.net/yesterday/

the information has been available here for years. It's just been unable to spread.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The thing about the Ryo games is that they don't even fit up with the plots of any season despite trying to do so. Especially Tamers, where the writers just wrote him as just another kid from the Tamers world and let Bandai try to make it fit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The thing about the Ryo games is that they don't even fit up with the plots of any season despite trying to do so. Especially Tamers, where the writers just wrote him as just another kid from the Tamers world and let Bandai try to make it fit.

Well he works fine in Tamers, but he doesn't in 02, which is the worst one because it tries to show him as existing and being canon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Digimon Frontier Trip Report

Recap: Five kids went to the Digital World on trains, Takuya got a Spirit, evolved into Agnimon and beat up Cerberumon.

Episode 2: Wolfmon of Light! Battle in the Underground Maze!

The crew discusses Takuya's evolution, Takuya presses some buttons on his Digivice and it vomits a bunch of digicode into the city, restoring some of the land.

Hey, a flash of the kid in blue!

All the Digimon are ecstatic that the town is back to normal.

The two Digimon finally introduce themselves. The exposition bird is Bokomon and the rabbit wearing pants is Neemon. I'm not kidding, Neemon is actually a bipedal rabbit wearing pants.

Bokomon starts expositing backstory: Cherubimon caused some Digimon to go crazy and that somehow made the land fall apart and they need the Digicode to be returned to fix the land. Sure.

Junpei feels excluded and marginalized, so he grabs Tomoki and says "let's go home." Tomoki's having none of that, because he's hero worshipping Takuya. Junpei tries to burst that bubble and drags him back to the station.

The focus shifts to the fifth kid, whose name is revealed to be Kouji Minamoto. The voice from the Digivice says that his ~mysteries~ will be ~solved~ but Kouji's too stoic and pragmatic to buy that line. Clearly the voice realizes this, because Kouji's Digivice shows him a map!

Junpei bribes a Pagumon with chocolate to get information on how to get back. They pass Kouji, who couldn't care less.

Junpei then bribes a Trailmon with another chocolate bar, asking for a ride back to the human world. How much chocolate does this kid have?

The Trailmon eats the chocolate and decides to go get more, leaving Junpei and Tomoki behind, just in time for them to get ambushed by the Pagumon's friends who're looking for more chocolate.

Takuya and Izumi are examining the Digimon village when they suddenly realize that Tomoki and Junpei aren't there. Real observant.

Kouji's map disappears, but he finds an entrance to an underground cavern of some sort, with stairs.

Tomoki's terrified and tries to get his Digivice to let him evolve. As they run from the Pagumon, they fall into a hole and Tomoki drops his Digivice.

Takuya and Izumi keep looking for the other two and Takuya acts all protective. Izumi scoffs and him being an adult and they reveal that they're both 10 years old. Seriously? Izumi and Takuya are only 10?

They find Tomoki's Digivice, Izumi trips and grabs Takuya and they fall into the same hole. Izumi gets mad that Takuya isn't calling her by her name (makes more sense in Japanese) and they head off to find the others.

Meanwhile, Junpei and Tomoki are walking in circles. To pacify Tomoki and stop him from crying, Junpei pulls out *another* chocolate bar. Apparently, the Pagumon's noses are incredible, because they appear on the ceiling and descend onto the pair. In the scuffle, three more chocolate bars get sacrificed.

Kouji finds his way into some central room, just as Tomoki and Junpei run in. Their screaming alerts Takuya and Izumi, who also rush to the scene, but not before continuing to snipe at each other.

Kouji decides on a dynamic entry and slides down a pole, which he then breaks with his foot and uses as a bo staff. I guess they're trying to establish him as a badass? Anyway, he beats on the Pagumon for a while and then one evolves into Raremon.

Raremon spits a hugely corrosive acid, so Kouji grabs Tomoki and runs, just as Takuya, Izumi and for some reason, Bokomon and Neemon show up. Takuya yells at his Digivice for a bit and it finally responds.

Takuya evolves to Agnimon again and manages to make Raremon spit up even more acid before anticlimactically changing back to Takuya.

A bunch of light starts streaming in from all the holes Raremon's acid made. Raremon spits more acid at our heroes. Takuya grabs Tomoki and dives out the way, accidentally pushing Kouji into the biggest hole and killing him.

Kouji falls, reaching terminal velocity and happens on a Spirit. All the light beams converge on the big hole, Kouji's Digivice absorbs the Spirit and he transforms. I'm assuming he's still falling at this point?

Somehow, transforming teleports him back up to the room with all the other characters. Obviously, everyone is impressed and Takuya asks if he looked like Wolfmon. Bokomon reads from his book and identifies Wolfmon of Light, another legendary hero.

Wolfmon suffers from an overuse of German terms, but he gets the job done and finishes off Raremon super quick by stabbing Raremon in the head Wolfmon scans Raremon's data and changes back. Takuya apologizes for almost killing Kouji and Kouji decides to be caustic. He says he owes Takuya and they exchange names and then Kouji walks off, cool as a cucumber.

Final thoughts: Kouji's a dick. He and Takuya are clearly being set up as rivals, but more extremely than previous series. Takuya's way more hotheaded than Tai or Davis and Kouji's way colder and meaner than Matt or Ken. We did get a bit of development for Junpei, but not really in a positive way. All in all, not the best follow up to the very solid starting episode.

Chocolate bar count: 6

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's an interesting but bad thing Frontier does, it introduces everyone by putting focus on their worst aspects. By the time their good aspects start showing it's a bit too late to care, especially since they become little more than cheerleaders, but all in its due time. That said, it does give good explanations for why they act like that and they do attempt to overcome their flaws, so the series keeps Digimon's focus on development, much unlike loving Hunters. Anyways...

Wolfmon is super cool. It's kind of unfair to compare Kouji to Yamato, since the Adventure group were close to each other since before the series began (Yamato especially, considering he was the only one to know Takeru, being family and all), here we have five children who don't know each other, and in more than one case want nothing to do with each other. Also Ken was way worse when he appeared, considering he was the loving big bad at that time. Ruki was similarly worse, while Kouji's cold and a jerk, he's not trying to kill everyone's Digimon (or, well, everyone, Frontier and all). Not like Kouji and Takuya won't come to blows, but what rival duo haven't hit each other? (Takato and Ruki, but that'd be incredibly unfair for poor Takato).

On the German thing, be prepared because this is something Frontier absolutely loves, using attack names in many, many languages. That said, I think it's cool. Can't have English with some Japanese for everything!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's an interesting but bad thing Frontier does, it introduces everyone by putting focus on their worst aspects. By the time their good aspects start showing it's a bit too late to care, especially since they become little more than cheerleaders, but all in its due time. That said, it does give good explanations for why they act like that and they do attempt to overcome their flaws, so the series keeps Digimon's focus on development, much unlike loving Hunters. Anyways...

Wolfmon is super cool. It's kind of unfair to compare Kouji to Yamato, since the Adventure group were close to each other since before the series began (Yamato especially, considering he was the only one to know Takeru, being family and all), here we have five children who don't know each other, and in more than one case want nothing to do with each other. Also Ken was way worse when he appeared, considering he was the loving big bad at that time. Ruki was similarly worse, while Kouji's cold and a jerk, he's not trying to kill everyone's Digimon (or, well, everyone, Frontier and all). Not like Kouji and Takuya won't come to blows, but what rival duo haven't hit each other? (Takato and Ruki, but that'd be incredibly unfair for poor Takato).

On the German thing, be prepared because this is something Frontier absolutely loves, using attack names in many, many languages. That said, I think it's cool. Can't have English with some Japanese for everything!

To be fair the adventure children weren't ALL friends, Taichi, Sora and Koushiro all knew one another, and Takeru and Yamato were brothers. Mimi was aware of Koushiro's existence and Hikari is of course Taichi's sister. But other than that? They weren't the strongest group of friends. Even Children's War Game has Koushiro remark that they weren't the strongest group of friends.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

To be fair the adventure children weren't ALL friends, Taichi, Sora and Koushiro all knew one another, and Takeru and Yamato were brothers. Mimi was aware of Koushiro's existence and Hikari is of course Taichi's sister. But other than that? They weren't the strongest group of friends. Even Children's War Game has Koushiro remark that they weren't the strongest group of friends.

Yeah, though that's mostly downplayed due to the broader nature of the show compared to how divisive it was in Frontier.

Most of them had never met before Summer Camp, in Adventure- it's just when you spend a year in a hellish twisted monster wonderland where everything is trying to kill you and you only have these other weirdos to rely on, you tend to bond way faster.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No one's commented on my screencap filenames. :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Your point about Ken is fair, but Yamato starts off really aloof. For the first few episodes, all he cared about is his brother and he clashed with Taichi several times, especially where Takeru was concerned.

quote:

:ssh: I've watched Frontier a couple of times.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

No one's commented on my screencap filenames. :saddowns:

The only ones named are "Real Mature" and "When Your Transformation[...]", aren't they? The rest don't show with any names (or have non-joke ones, like "Wolfmon"). Also I don't think many people would just right-click to check on every picture, I sure as hell don't.

Some Numbers posted:

Your point about Ken is fair, but Yamato starts off really aloof. For the first few episodes, all he cared about is his brother and he clashed with Taichi several times, especially where Takeru was concerned.

Hmm, I guess you have a point there. Still, Yamato didn't separate himself from the team until far, far later; Kouji doesn't JOIN the group until a certain point. It's a rather different situation.

Some Numbers posted:

:ssh: I've watched Frontier a couple of times.

I'm so sorry.

For you watching it, not my mistake.

I tried rewatching every series once. I couldn't do Frontier. I left when the Royal Knights arc began because my brain was shouting at me "this is not worth it". Of course, that meant I got faster to Savers instead and Savers is actually worth the watch, so it was a good thing!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

The only ones named are "Real Mature" and "When Your Transformation[...]", aren't they? The rest don't show with any names (or have non-joke ones, like "Wolfmon"). Also I don't think many people would just right-click to check on every picture, I sure as hell don't.

That's fair; the one of Takuya is "if your transformation only lasts 20 seconds..." which I thought was a little clever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

say what you will about Frontier

but Lucemon is one of the best villains in the franchise

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Actually, this is one of the things I like about Frontier. Flaws are generally more interesting traits than positive qualities, and in a kid's series that has to maintain a certain level of saccharine (well, if it isn't Tamers anyway), it's an interesting move that could've really worked to flesh out the group in different ways than we've seen before in prior seasons. It helps that their flaws are rather minor (though distinct), and fairly realistic for a group of kids randomly thrown together.
Hell, even Kouji's standoffishness sort of works- he keeps his distance and has no intent to join the others, but he's willing to admit when he owes them one and he doesn't go out of his way to antagonize them.

Obviously, it didn't end up working, but far as it goes, I think Frontier's opening setup was pretty strong.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If this is the episode I'm thinking of, this is the one they previewed on Fox Kids UK showing the scene where Takuya and Izzumi are in a hole and for some reason or another Izzumi slaps the silly out of him.

This and one clip of Professor Tomoe is all we saw of Digimon Frontier and Sailor Moon S before amazon got all of classic digimon and paped it on Amazon Prime.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 21, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

If this is the episode I'm thinking of, this is the one they previewed on Fox Kids UK showing the scene where Takuya and Izzumi are in a hole and for some reason or another Izzumi slaps the silly out of him.

This and one clip of Professor Tomoe is all we saw of Digimon Frontier and Sailor Moon S.

Yeah, they fall in the hole and I guess she thought Takuya was being a pervert, so she smacked him around.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, they fall in the hole and I guess she thought Takuya was being a pervert, so she smacked him around.

Surprisingly not much was cut from that if memory serves.

Yeah, looking at it, not as many slaps but she still smacks him silly.

My god was Michelle Ruff er, rough in this one. Her's was not an easy carrear start between this and Rave.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

My god was Michelle Ruff er, rough in this one. Her's was not an easy carrear start between this and Rave.

On the other hand, Steven Blum continued to prove that he actually has range.

Still, I didn't really like the dub.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
The dub for Frontier had, in stark contrast to every other season, significantly better sound mixing than the original. The original Japanese version just sounds so boring and lifeless in places that I have to wonder how good the production quality control was, and how strapped for time they ended up being.

Though at the same time, we're suffering an endless stream of 'witty' dialogue quips in exchange for a half-decent sound board, so pick your poison I guess.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Classy Hydra posted:

The dub for Frontier had, in stark contrast to every other season, significantly better sound mixing than the original. The original Japanese version just sounds so boring and lifeless in places that I have to wonder how good the production quality control was, and how strapped for time they ended up being.

Though at the same time, we're suffering an endless stream of 'witty' dialogue quips in exchange for a half-decent sound board, so pick your poison I guess.

You also lose With the Will, which is, for my money, one of the best Digimon insert songs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Recap: Kouji evolved into Wolfmon and was surly.

Episode 3: Bullying is Unforgivable! Chakmon of Ice Evolves

The gang returns to the station. Junpei is all about going home and tries to drag Tomoki with him. Tomoki wants to stay, but Takuya pulls the "you're too young" card. Izumi elects to stay a bit longer.

The train pulls out of the station and Junpei and Tomoki are still there. The gang leaves the station and Bokomon starts pontificating about how Takuya can save the world because he has a Spirit. The entire world runs on data and Digicode is the strongest source of data energy, so finding the Digimon who've taken Digicode and beating them will fix everything. Or something?

The gang's Digivices light up and the same voice tells them to go the Forest Terminal. Bokomon's book says that it's a long long way down the rail, but not what's there. With no other leads, the gang starts walking.

Junpei stayed because of Izumi. What a nuanced character. Also, he's a year older than Takuya. Izumi mentions that Tomoki should have gone home, because his mom is probably worried sick. Tomoki says it'll be fine, because he's going to get strong like Takuya.

Night falls and the gang comes upon a gap in the rail over a canyon. There are lights at the bottom of the canyon, so the gang climbs down to check them out.

The lights turn out to be Digimon, which run off. Tomoki spots a carving on the cliff wall of a small angel-like child and a circle of ten symbols.

Bokomon says that the symbols represent the ten legendary warriors. Bokomon then launches into a history lesson. Long ago, the Human-type and Beast-type Digimon were always fighting. An Angel Digimon called Lucemon appeared and brought peace to these Digimon. However, the peace was short-lived, because Lucemon became cruel and made the Digimon suffer. Ten warriors fought back and eventually beat down Lucemon.

Tomoki and Izumi note that Agnimon and Wolfmon each bore one of the symbols.

Izumi and Tomoki then speculate that they might also be able to evolve if they find Spirits, while Junpei is a big wet blanket.

A bunch of Candlemon show up demanding to know why the gang's there. They don't buy the "we're just passing through" excuse but when Bokomon says "hey, the kid's Agnimon" they change their tune. They lure the gang near a fire and then burn sleeping herbs too I guess kidnap the kids? The endgame is kind of unclear.

The kids manage to stay awake long enough to jump into the river, but Tomoki can't swim.

HOLY poo poo TAKUYA USES HIS GOGGLES FOR SOMETHING.

The kids manage to hide. Takuya hatches a plan to draw the Candlemon away while the rest escape, but everyone argues. Eventually, Takuya just goes ahead with his plan and the others start climbing. It takes some doing, but Takuya finally manages to evolve into Agnimon again.

Fire against fire doesn't work too well. Agnimon is losing pretty badly until Tomoki has a flashback and grows a backbone. He jumps down and splashes water on the Candlemon and his courage awakens his Spirit. It floats down to the river, Tomoki sucks it into his Digivice and then evolves into Chakmon.

Chakmon freezes one of the Candlemon, but the other evolves into Wizardmon. Wizardmon kicks Chakmon once and then challenges Agnimon to a game. First, he disappears and attacks while invisible and then he makes a dozen copies of himself. They all attack, but the glare reveals that only one has a shadow. Agnimon beats that one down and scans its Digicode.

The Candlemon apologize for testing the kids. Takuya accidentally releases the Digicode he scanned and it fixes the bridge.

The Candlemon chief says that on the other side of the river and a long way off, the kids will find the Forest Terminal. Junpei whines about going home again and Kouji crosses the new bridge on a train.

Final Thoughts: A pretty decent episode. It's really weird that this was Chakmon's episode, yet Agnimon did all the work, but it makes some sense since the theme was really Tomoki continuing to hero worship Takuya and starting to come into his own a little bit, emphasized by the fact that Agnimon needed Chakmon to save him. Junpei continues to be the designated whiner and Izumi is really just there, though she had a bit of development with Tomoki.

Chocolate bars: 7

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Man, I forgot that they established that Lucemon was a thing this early jn the series ._.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Man, I forgot that they established that Lucemon was a thing this early jn the series ._.

You can fault Frontier for many things, the fact that it actually build up and established its plot points is not one of them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

You can fault Frontier for many things, the fact that it actually build up and established its plot points is not one of them.

Yeah, seriously. Lucemon appears in the goddamn opening, it's clear the writers had an endgame already planned from the beginning. Sadly they didn't plan how to get to it so well, since said endgame is a cool fight but everything leading to it is awful.

Also this episode is where Frontier starts to show what it is. Tomoki's spotlight episode!...gets stolen, Takuya beats the enemy. Next Spirit has the exact same thing happen. Just as Lucemon was clearly foreshadowed, so was this being Takuya/KoujI: The Series.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
It's really disappointing, especially considering the lack of partner digimon should have meant they were focusing more on the relationships and teamwork between the kids themselves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also this episode is where Frontier starts to show what it is. Tomoki's spotlight episode!...gets stolen, Takuya beats the enemy. Next Spirit has the exact same thing happen. Just as Lucemon was clearly foreshadowed, so was this being Takuya/KoujI: The Series.

I was going to talk about this, but I guess I don't have to now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To this day the thing that still weirds me out about Frontier the most is its strange semi-pastel colour pallet. It almost hurts my eyes some times to see screenshots of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Recap: We got some backstory and Tomoki got a Spirit.

Episode 4: My Kicks Hurt! The Female Warrior, Fairymon

We start with Kouji on his train looking bored. He examines his Digivice and flashes back to the voice telling him to go to the Forest Terminal. The train pulls up to a station in a forest and the Trailmon starts napping, so Kouji lies down on a bench.

The next day, the rest of the gang is still walking along the train tracks and Junpei is still whining. A Trailmon comes up behind them and Takuya begs for a ride. Everyone jumps on the actual Trailmon.

Apparently, this Trailmon is super ticklish, because it shakes them all off and then continues on its way.

The gang finds a fork in the tracks. Takuya wants to go right, but Izumi says left. Takuya asks why and Izumi gives a very reasonable explanation: they're going to the Forest Terminal, so they should go into the forest. Takuya, not one to be swayed by mere logic, says they don't know where the Terminal is, so he's going right. Tomoki goes with Takuya and Junpei goes with Izumi. Bokomon and Neemon follow Izumi and Junpei to see if they evolve.

Junpei tries to cosy up to Izumi by saying that Takuya's an idiot and she's way smarter and she just ignores him.

They arrive at Soft Breeze Village, which is coincidentally where Kouji was sleeping! Nice way to shoehorn him into the episode, I guess. Izumi tries to make conversation and he brushes her off. Typical.

Junpei's Digivice goes off and he gets super happy over the chance of getting his own Spirit. Meanwhile, Izumi runs up inside the giant tree to get a better view. Junpei runs after her yelling about his Digivice and makes her slip off the branch. Good job dude.

She doesn't die, but lands on a bunch of Floramon.

Kouji's strolling away when his Digivice goes off. Before he can do anything, he hears some voices talking about human kids and he goes to investigate.

Izumi and the others are being treated to lunch by the Floramon and apparently Izumi can speak Italian. The special dish they're eating is made by the Floramon putting a pear in their head and squirting juice out their noses. Why? Just...WHY?!

Izumi comments on how nice the breeze is and a Floramon takes that as an invitation to exposit. The city used to be better, but I guess tourism dropped or something? They want more customers to come like in the olden days. Izumi says they should make the place prettier with trees and stuff and volunteers Junpei to do all the grunt work. I like this girl.

Oh hey, back to Tomoki and Takuya, I almost forgot about them. They're still walking when suddenly the ground starts breaking up and disappearing.

Takuya says "guess this is the wrong path." NO poo poo SHERLOCK.

Oh good, Tomoki's crying again.

Junpei's doing a bunch of digging and the Floramon are planting flowers and such. Bokomon, Neemon and Izumi are helping with much less rigorious work.

Suddenly, some dark blurs appear and there's an explosion and bright light! Kouji gets a reaction shot!

The Three Mushmon Brothers have arrived. They apparently have a problem with the Floramon planting flowers, so they throw exploding poison mushrooms at them. Dicks.

Oh, nevermind, the "poison" is laughing gas. The Mushmon Bros plan is to make them laugh so much they can't plant any flowers. I actually can't tell if I should be taking this seriously or not.

The Mushmon used to work with the Floramon in tourism, but they got fed up with not getting enough credit, so they decided to wreck the whole operation. Really?

Bokomon theorizes the Cherubimon did something to the Mushmon and Neemon asks who Cherubimon is so Bokomon can tell us *again* that Cherubimon is the root of all the Digital World's problems. I guess I should care about Cherubimon then?

Oh hey, Izumi's doing something! She walks up and straight up SLAPS a Mushmon.

She then lectures them about not being dicks. Junpei decides to back her up and fucks it up something fierce. At least he's consistently terrible?

Junpei runs way and tries to evolve, but can't. Izumi shouts his name and awakens the Spirit. Junpei is ready to take it, but it flies past him and Izumi's Digivice starts to glow. Izumi evolves!

Obviously Fairymon is another Legendary Warrior, this time the Warrior of Wind. Fairymon's attacks are all in Italian.

Fairymon beats up all three Mushmon without breaking a sweat, so they form up together and evolve into Woodmon.

Fairymon keeps beating up on Woodmon, but he completely no sells her and then hits her once and she's down and changes back to Izumi. Seriously? It's her debut episode and she loses to a single blow? This is bullshit.

Kouji comes out of nowhere and evolves to Wolfmon to save everyone. He takes down Woodmon in no time with no effort. What the actual gently caress?

Oh, he's breathing hard when he changes back. I guess that makes it all okay?

Woodmon was holding the Digicode for the area and Kouji lets it out making the place all pretty again. Everyone is friends again, so I guess all's well that ends well. Except Kouji's still being surly.

Takuya and Tomoki show up and Izumi gets all arrogant about evolving. You didn't even do anything!

Oh poo poo, Takuya and Tomoki laugh at her. I feel so much worse about dissing her.

Izumi gets mad at them and Junpei is all sulky about being the only kid without a Spirit.

Final Thoughts:
This episode is a giant mess. Kouji was clumsily shoehorned in to the detriment of the story. This is Izumi's spotlight episode and Fairymon's debut, but half of it is spent reminding us that Kouji's still around. Fairymon is one of a very few Digimon that manage to LOSE a fight in their FIRST episode. As I said in episode 3, I didn't like Chakmon not beating the enemy, but at least it made some thematic sense. There is no good reason why Fairymon couldn't win this fight all by herself. Back in Adventure, Sora and Mimi managed to save the entire group at least once each and without Kari, they wouldn't have been able to beat Myotismon. This episode is 100% Grade A bullshit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Doesn't she also start Toei's whole thing with the hip drop?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This was the first episode of Frontier I ever saw, and even as a kid, I thought it was bullshit that Izumi flubbed her debut match but then Koji beats the guy no problem.

I do like how Junpei is so desperate to try and get a Spirit but then gets bummed out when he just can't.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Fairymon keeps beating up on Woodmon, but he completely no sells her and then hits her once and she's down and changes back to Izumi. Seriously? It's her debut episode and she loses to a single blow? This is bullshit.

Kouji comes out of nowhere and evolves to Wolfmon to save everyone. He takes down Woodmon in no time with no effort. What the actual gently caress?

If this is already so bad I can't even imagine how terrible it is going to get later. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Doesn't she also start Toei's whole thing with the hip drop?

Yep. :(

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The only good application of that move was Heartcatch and only really to show up how bad Tsubomi was at naming attacks.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 30, 2015

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Some Numbers posted:

Frontier.txt

I really hate it when shows pretend to have an ensemble cast only to try and make one or two pet characters look good. It's a common problem with a lot of shounen in general, but it's particularly bad in Digimon considering Adventure and Tamers handled it so well. If your plot can't give all of your main characters something important to do, then you cut the number of characters you have.

Tamers was effective because (in the beginning anyway), having only three protagonists afforded them more time and space to flesh those characters out.
Adventure was effective because it was aware of the size of its cast, and made writing choices that accommodated that, intentionally splitting up the group several times to avoid putting too much focus on individual protagonists.

Frontier doubles the cast number of Tamers, and doesn't bother to adjust for size like Adventure did. It just feels... really amateurish, like the writing staff barely knew how to work with the elements they'd been given.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Classy Hydra posted:

Frontier.txt

I really hate it when shows pretend to have an ensemble cast only to try and make one or two pet characters look good. It's a common problem with a lot of shounen in general, but it's particularly bad in Digimon considering Adventure and Tamers handled it so well. If your plot can't give all of your main characters something important to do, then you cut the number of characters you have.

Tamers was effective because (in the beginning anyway), having only three protagonists afforded them more time and space to flesh those characters out.
Adventure was effective because it was aware of the size of its cast, and made writing choices that accommodated that, intentionally splitting up the group several times to avoid putting too much focus on individual protagonists.

Frontier doubles the cast number of Tamers, and doesn't bother to adjust for size like Adventure did. It just feels... really amateurish, like the writing staff barely knew how to work with the elements they'd been given.

Yeah, I mean occasionally other characters get to do stuff but Izumi's only real victories are against one other character, and it's weird to say this but... This show has a problem with the protagonists getting their rear end kicked. Because it's not just the late-game Royal Knights, early on they're getting loving ruined by everyone to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Onmi posted:

Yeah, I mean occasionally other characters get to do stuff but Izumi's only real victories are against one other character, and it's weird to say this but... This show has a problem with the protagonists getting their rear end kicked. Because it's not just the late-game Royal Knights, early on they're getting loving ruined by everyone to.

So, it's suffering from Beast Machine syndrome?