Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I've been using the same Windows 7 pro license since like 2009 every time I've replaced or rebuilt my computer. The first couple times I used the key it would activate automatically, but after that it would give me an error stating that I was out of activations. When it does that you just need to disconnect the computer from the internet then run the Activate Windows program so it gives you the activate by telephone option. It is an automated system where you just enter in a long rear end number the program gives you then the automated system verifies it and reads back a confirmation number you then type into the Activate Windows program and you are good to go. There is no talking to a Microsoft rep in India and trying to explain why you need to reuse the same key.

As long as you aren't using the same Windows key for multiple computers at the same time, you shouldn't have any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My P67 board from launch is starting to die with a cold-boot bug, so I'm probably going to get a used Z77 board to keep my 2500k going until CPU performance actually improves.

Does anyone remember which brands were worth getting back then? Had Gigabytes mediocre power delivery phase started yet?

BigBoots
Oct 11, 2013
So a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a little boy nicknamed Boots built his very own computer, and he was so proud of the Frankenstein's monster he'd created that he never thought about what would happen when it came time to upgrade. now I'm up AMDs' poo poo creek, but luckily my birthday is coming up, so the family is coming running with paddles from all over the province. But before I use those paddles as shovels, I have a question for someone who's more knowledgable about motherboards then I can ever hope to be in my entire life. Is DDR4 worth the price point, and is the ASUS Rampage V extreme worth anything more than a quick drool over before buying something likely infinitely more reasonable(I saw most of the stuff about avoiding msi, and other friends have matched this recommendation with evidence). The computer it's going into is going to be used for gaming, with some work stuff (word processing and the like) as well as my new-founded households' entertainment center, so I do understand that this is excessive, if not completely sperglordy. I'd just like to know if it's "geeze bill, you didn't really need 400 horsepower" sperglordy or "mommy why does that man have four ferraris welded to those two Bugatti veyrons?" spergy

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

No and no, respectively. Come and post your needs and budget in the stickied parts picking thread, we can help you out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BigBoots posted:

So a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a little boy nicknamed Boots built his very own computer, and he was so proud of the Frankenstein's monster he'd created that he never thought about what would happen when it came time to upgrade. now I'm up AMDs' poo poo creek, but luckily my birthday is coming up, so the family is coming running with paddles from all over the province. But before I use those paddles as shovels, I have a question for someone who's more knowledgable about motherboards then I can ever hope to be in my entire life. Is DDR4 worth the price point, and is the ASUS Rampage V extreme worth anything more than a quick drool over before buying something likely infinitely more reasonable(I saw most of the stuff about avoiding msi, and other friends have matched this recommendation with evidence). The computer it's going into is going to be used for gaming, with some work stuff (word processing and the like) as well as my new-founded households' entertainment center, so I do understand that this is excessive, if not completely sperglordy. I'd just like to know if it's "geeze bill, you didn't really need 400 horsepower" sperglordy or "mommy why does that man have four ferraris welded to those two Bugatti veyrons?" spergy

You should read through the OP of the PC Building & Parts Picking Megathread and definitely post your build for critiquing before buying. At the moment it sounds like you'd be building something that would cost as much as 2 or 3 computers that would have similar or even better performance for the tasks you have in mind.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

So this happened to my 11-month old ASRock Extreme4. The short story every time you disconnect the power cord or turn the PSU off it may decide to stop POSTing indefinitely (and be a fire hazard?) with no repeatable fix/workaround. Do they make anything without this pretty massive defect that I could realistically push for in an RMA, or should I cut my losses and order a new MSI?

If all they offer me is a refurbished Extreme4 I'm not even going to bother. I ordered a new PSU and wasted a day troubleshooting before I found that thread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Antares posted:

So this happened to my 11-month old ASRock Extreme4. The short story every time you disconnect the power cord or turn the PSU off it may decide to stop POSTing indefinitely (and be a fire hazard?) with no repeatable fix/workaround. Do they make anything without this pretty massive defect that I could realistically push for in an RMA, or should I cut my losses and order a new MSI?

If all they offer me is a refurbished Extreme4 I'm not even going to bother. I ordered a new PSU and wasted a day troubleshooting before I found that thread.

Did you try replacing the cmos battery? It's mentioned in that reddit post as a possible fix, although it seems weird that a single CR2032 (or whatever, check before you replace it) would stop the system from booting up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Did you try replacing the cmos battery? It's mentioned in that reddit post as a possible fix, although it seems weird that a single CR2032 (or whatever, check before you replace it) would stop the system from booting up.

I have encountered this on systems before. Wouldn't POST, fans wouldn't spin up, CPU wouldn't fire up. Reseated every component, nothing worked. Pulled the CMOS battery, put it back in, system fired up just fine.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Kazinsal posted:

I have encountered this on systems before. Wouldn't POST, fans wouldn't spin up, CPU wouldn't fire up. Reseated every component, nothing worked. Pulled the CMOS battery, put it back in, system fired up just fine.
On an old Gigabyte P67 board, I once had to disconnect power, pull the CMOS battery, and hold down the power button for a few seconds (i.e. trying to turn on the PC). I guess that drained some sort of capacitor somewhere.

Then it was all good.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I had pulled the CMOS battery and put it back after about 20 minutes but I may pick up a new one this afternoon. The PC was on and running then suddenly shut down when this started. I do get spinning fans (everything but one case fan??) and USB power. RMA seems way more likely to me at this point but a battery is cheap enough I might as well try

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Antares posted:

There are a load of people both in that reddit thread and in the NewEgg reviews for the board saying they've had this exact issue, where disconnecting the power cable or turning off the PSU causes the machine to fail to POST once you plug it in again. It's to the point where I feel uncomfortable recommending it to people.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Antares posted:

I had pulled the CMOS battery and put it back after about 20 minutes but I may pick up a new one this afternoon. The PC was on and running then suddenly shut down when this started. I do get spinning fans (everything but one case fan??) and USB power. RMA seems way more likely to me at this point but a battery is cheap enough I might as well try

Yeah if it's shutting off while it's running it's probably due for an RMA.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Yeah if it's shutting off while it's running it's probably due for an RMA.

I wrote a really detailed problems/steps taken email to the mailbox ASRock point you to on their 1995 website. They sent me a one-sentence reply telling me to call tech support. I called tech support and they said they would send me a link to the RMA request form (which i still haven't received).

I ordered an ASUS. These people are balls and I'm not putting myself through this just to wait 3-6 weeks to get a refurbished Extreme4 which will do the same thing in a couple months.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ASRock was originally spun off from ASUS as a "make everyman-grade consumer and OEM parts" brand, so it honestly doesn't surprise me when people have horror stories about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Oh hey, a motherboard thread! I'm griping over motherboards right now.

So I have a lovely cheap low end board (Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H) and I'm looking to overclock my i5 3570k and my board has no overclocking capabilities beyond increasing BCLK which of course fucks up all sorts of poo poo. I wanna take advantage of that unlocked multiplier.

Problem is, I have no idea what to get, and finding a board that I can buy is hard enough considering LGA1155 is pretty much phased out. I know the chipset I want is a Z77 but beyond that, no idea. I'm in Australia too so that restricts what I can get further. I'm just stuck at the moment. What should I do? Getting a new CPU and motherboard would be prohibitively expensive and I'd like to keep my current CPU rather than sell it (I like using old components to build HTPCs and stuff).

• Locked thread