Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Asmodai_00 posted:

Nope! They're just going to let it go and pretend it never happened.

If it's anything like most of their ongoing storylines, they drop it for the majority of the season then bring it back for a few episodes near the end. They can't really sustain a single storyline for a 20+ episode season (to be fair, almost no-one can, high-quality dramas are usually in the low teens per season or less.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Lord Of Texas posted:

If it's anything like most of their ongoing storylines, they drop it for the majority of the season then bring it back for a few episodes near the end. They can't really sustain a single storyline for a 20+ episode season (to be fair, almost no-one can, high-quality dramas are usually in the low teens per season or less.)

That's the joke.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, living in Los Angeles kind of makes me wish they just set the show in Los Angeles. It's kind of hilarious looking at areas that are clearly LA when it's supposed to be New York City.

They put in about 0% effort in hiding that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Unless you live in Los Angeles or New York you wouldn't care. So why should they?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Weird that they'd shoot in L.A. when L.A. shows are usually shot in Vancouver. Maybe if they shot in Vancouver too many viewers would think it was L.A.

EDIT: I just remembered, I was at Griffith Park near Los Angeles and they were shooting a scene for CSI: Miami in the Old Zoo. TV is so silly.

The Red Queen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2015

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

A not-quite-AI called Mira, huh? Does that make this the first show to reference Mass Effect?

That's probably a coincidence.
Much like Liara's voice actress being a suspect for the past week's episode was.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
No one referenced the most recent episode!

...it was pretty good. It's crazy how much Ryan has done in the past, come to think of it - he has more background than any other character, thanks to his mob history/actual family members.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My favorite part was when Ryan texted Castle but not Beckett to help with his theories about the shooter. "When you have a crazy theory, you don't call the voice of reason."

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
This was a great episode, especially seeing Ryan and Esposito dancing, but I don't like how often this show does the whole "This guy has an alibi so he can't be the killer. Just kidding! His alibi was lying!" shtick. To me it just feels cheap and lazy on the writer's part.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That was fantastic. Just pure fun.

Good news - next episode we find out more about Castle's abduction.

Bad news - we have to wait 3 weeks. :bang:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Andorra posted:

This was a great episode, especially seeing Ryan and Esposito dancing, but I don't like how often this show does the whole "This guy has an alibi so he can't be the killer. Just kidding! His alibi was lying!" shtick. To me it just feels cheap and lazy on the writer's part.

I prefer that to "Hey the killer got half a second of screen time earlier in the episode. Remember him/her?"

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I prefer that to "Hey the killer got half a second of screen time earlier in the episode. Remember him/her?"

That trips me up every time. Around the 44-minute mark I start trying to remember the minor character who had one line before the credits. I almost never get it right.

I wish the 20th would get here so we could get a new episode and find out about Castle's disappearance. I'm wondering if their might be some weird Manchurian Candidate stuff going on. We can watch C&B's next strip poker game go horribly awry when he gets the Queen of Diamonds.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
New episode tonight, in which we find out what happened during Castle's abduction. :iiam:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Do we have any updates on if this is supposed to be the last season? If it's been renewed?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Skychrono posted:

Do we have any updates on if this is supposed to be the last season? If it's been renewed?

I sorta hope it is, or if it isn't, it leans hard in to wacky time travel and wizard adventures.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Word is that it's going to be renewed for season 8, as a final 13 episode season.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Word is that it's going to be renewed for season 8, as a final 13 episode season.

You see, I'd like that.

On one hand, I like having a "good enough" show to watch every week, where I like all the cast members. On the other, I like knowing a show will get a precise final season so it can wrap its threads up correctly.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skychrono posted:

It hasn't still being officially renewed for season 8, but Nathan Fillion renewed his contract for one more season. On the negative side, Stana Katic still hasn't done the same, so there is a slight chance of going into season 8 without Beckett.

Also, they have a new showrunner for potential season 8.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gervasius posted:

It hasn't still being officially renewed for season 8, but Nathan Fillion renewed his contract for one more season. On the negative side, Stana Katic still hasn't done the same, so there is a slight chance of going into season 8 without Beckett.

Also, they have a new showrunner for potential season 8.

How would that even work? Castle, P.I., full time? While I would miss ogling Stana Katic, I could get behind Castle, P.I. plus Esposito / Ryan / Parish / Perlmutter hijinks.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Tide posted:

How would that even work? Castle, P.I., full time? While I would miss ogling Stana Katic, I could get behind Castle, P.I. plus Esposito / Ryan / Parish / Perlmutter hijinks.

House somehow got through the last season without Cuddy showing up. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but it could happen.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Nathan Fillion in the jungle. Castle has become Uncharted.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If someone could do an episode recap, I would appreciate it. I am moving tomorrow and all our TVs are in boxes

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Huh. I actually kind of liked how they resolved that storyline. I didn't expect that.

Although I have a feeling that they didn't have the full story fleshed out when they filled in some of the clues in the first few episodes of the season. And since they couldn't come up with answers to everything, they just had Castle say, "Well, I guess I won't know everything*, but I know enough."

*including why he was shot!

Tide posted:

If someone could do an episode recap, I would appreciate it. I am moving tomorrow and all our TVs are in boxes

Short version: Castle was abducted by the CIA because they needed him to rendezvous with an Al Qaeda operative that he went to prep school with.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 21, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tide posted:

Honestly the show has just about run out of legs, if it hasn't already. It's been getting incredibly goofy even by it's original standards and more than that, there's so many freaking plot holes in their conclusions now nothing makes any drat sense... and thus if they wanted to say the last few seasons have literally been Castle's books and in reality he lost his marbles after Beckett was shot, I'd be shockingly OK with that.

Seriously though, I might be wrong, but I think icing Beckett and entirely revamping the formula of the show around Castle himself could offer some much needed CPR before it flat lines. I've seen few shows willing to play it that risky, but I think with the setup and characters they have, it could be really interesting to nearly reboot the whole thing if they lose her.

ED: I might be a bit biased in that though; to me Beckett is literally just the "straight woman" to play against everyone else. Is anyone remotely invested in her? I'd literally be more bummed about Ryan or Espisto dying. Which is odd given she's such a huge part of the show. She has no motivations anymore and she's just not that interesting on her own. Her character practically is her job.

Maybe I'm being harsh.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 21, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Short version: Castle was abducted by the CIA because they needed him to rendezvous with an Al Qaeda operative that he went to prep school with.

:psyduck:

Really? I don't feel like I missed anything

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Well, that certainly didn't tie everything up in a bow, but it answered some questions while leaving plenty unanswered for Season 8 if we get one. I still don't think FakeJenkins is being at all honest about anything, and I still want to know how Castle ended up in Montreal to make his goodbye message, how he ended up in the boat, etc. Good to see Dr. Worf again (his "Chuck Norris? Seriously?" expression was priceless).

As for next week's promo, calling it now we will get a Snakes on a Plane reference.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That was fun! So nice to see Alexis get some serious screen time. Plus, totally called it on the Snakes on a Plane reference.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
More episodes should have Alexis get some serious screen time.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My one major complaint about the show is that it seemed like they were so focused on not screwing up the C/B relationship after they got together, that the secondary characters got short-shrifted.

Hopefully if we get Season 8 we can get more of an ensemble show.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Oceanic Air!

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
:lost:

I appreciated that!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This was a fun episode! My only nitpick was the whole "The real watch is auto wind, but this watch has a knob, so it's fake!" Uhhhh, the knob is there to set the time, man.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

10 Beers posted:

This was a fun episode! My only nitpick was the whole "The real watch is auto wind, but this watch has a knob, so it's fake!" Uhhhh, the knob is there to set the time, man.

Yeah, they needed a quick way for Castle to identify the watch as fake.

As if someone would fake a $13 million watch and miss out on such a detail like the knob.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Oceanic Air isn't a LOST thing specifically, though most people became familiar with it from that show. It's been a fictional airline used for disasters so you don't have to depict a real airway getting its plane blown up/terroristed since Executive Decision.

I've always had a soft spot for this show. It stretches credibility and is crazy formulaic but I really like the interplay of the lead characters. I hope they can come up with something that isn't too crazy to finish it for the final season, but I have a feeling off the wall is the only way that Castle finishes its run. It's a show that tries to one up itself constantly.

I'm kinda okay with that as long as Ryan and Esposito are in top form.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Mortanis posted:

I've always had a soft spot for this show. It stretches credibility and is crazy formulaic but I really like the interplay of the lead characters. I hope they can come up with something that isn't too crazy to finish it for the final season, but I have a feeling off the wall is the only way that Castle finishes its run. It's a show that tries to one up itself constantly.

Oh god, it's gonna be like Roseanne, isn't it? Except instead of a dream, at the end we find out it's all a story that Castle is writing. :ohdear:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Oh god, it's gonna be like Roseanne, isn't it? Except instead of a dream, at the end we find out it's all a story that Castle is writing. :ohdear:

It'll be his memoirs so we'll never be quite sure how much he was bsing

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

10 Beers posted:

If your watch costs $13 million dollars, you're not setting the time yourself, you're flying an 80 year-old Swiss watchmaker to your stately mansion to set it for you.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

It'll be his memoirs so we'll never be quite sure how much he was bsing

No, no. We find out that he and Beckett actually died in the freezer back in Season 3 and everything since then has been his "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" death fantasy.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Penultimate episode of the season tonight - according to previews, it looks like they have to solve a murder at a Saturday Night Live type show. Should be amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Penultimate episode of the season tonight - according to previews, it looks like they have to solve a murder at a Saturday Night Live type show. Should be amusing.

Didn't...they already have a murder at a TV show? A soap opera and maybe a news station or something?

• Locked thread