Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Whoever is playing Hanji is killing it in this trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Syrant posted:

The fact Hanji has a goddamn STINGER launcher as well as an RPG-7 kind of has a lot of weird implications. It seems like it's going to be, technologically, a big difference.

I think that's why the original director hit the eject button. They wanted to set it in the modern world to save money.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Look man when you get right down to it there's not that much difference between a cannon and a portable surface to air missile launcher

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I guarantee the live action movie will not have 3dmg. The actors will run around on a sound stage, firing rockets and arrows at offscreen foes and slashing at big inflatable titan feet. It will have power rangers.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
You can do a lot with wire work, even more now that over the top wire work martial arts movies have gone out of fashion and it will look fresh again. Green screens and wire work are perfect for the 3dmg, the titans are suitably creepy looking, I'm hopeful for it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Squidster posted:

I guarantee the live action movie will not have 3dmg. The actors will run around on a sound stage, firing rockets and arrows at offscreen foes and slashing at big inflatable titan feet. It will have power rangers.

Well they're clearly wearing the gear, as for how much use it will get... who knows.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pointlessone posted:

You can do a lot with wire work, even more now that over the top wire work martial arts movies have gone out of fashion and it will look fresh again. Green screens and wire work are perfect for the 3dmg, the titans are suitably creepy looking, I'm hopeful for it.

why does someone always have to whiteknight the multimillion dollar film

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Here's the new trailer with subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWXJ-jqg3is

Syrant posted:

The fact Hanji has a goddamn STINGER launcher as well as an RPG-7 kind of has a lot of weird implications. It seems like it's going to be, technologically, a big difference.
Correct, the setting is explicitly near future post apocalyptic-Japan.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cardboard Box A posted:

To be fair that's probably what the setting for the manga is too. Except maybe the Japan part.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically they have neither the budget nor talent to do something ambitious.

I suspect Isayama has washed his hands of this long ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sounds like a bigger trainwreck than turning Detroit Metal City into a high school romcom.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'll have you know that the stage musical version of Naruto was extremely well-received.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Look man when you get right down to it there's not that much difference between a cannon and a portable surface to air missile launcher

the 3dmg is now a jet plane

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

forbidden lesbian posted:

the 3dmg is now a jet plane

I feel like it would be more cost effective to use horse-drawn trampolines.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

dis astranagant posted:

Sounds like a bigger trainwreck than turning Detroit Metal City into a high school romcom.

Haha, what? Please tell me that this actually happened :allears:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I'll have you know that the stage musical version of Naruto was extremely well-received.

A stage musical version of Attack on Titan would be pretty awesome, tbh.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Haha, what? Please tell me that this actually happened :allears:

Yep, though at least they recorded some really badass versions of all the songs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

OK so now why are there a bunch of Japanese people with German names.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fister Roboto posted:

OK so now why are there a bunch of Japanese people with German names.

I think that was meant about the live action movie. The manga is very clearly not set in "near-future" anything.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Phobophilia posted:

Not as good as the Evangelion rap, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

flowinprose posted:

I think that was meant about the live action movie. The manga is very clearly not set in "near-future" anything.

I know. Do they have names like Jean Kirschner in the movie?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fister Roboto posted:

I know. Do they have names like Jean Kirschner in the movie?

According to the IMDB page, it appears that they do.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2072230/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

dis astranagant posted:

Yep, though at least they recorded some really badass versions of all the songs.

The movie is all I've ever seen of DMC, you mean the manga isn't intended to be a goofy romcom about the worst guy for a death metal band and the girl he lies to to keep oblivious? :allears:

On topic, I may watch the SnK movie solely for Hanji. The actor seems perfect.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd almost forgotten Krauser had a love interest.

That's how much of a romcom DMC is.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm watching DMC right now.

The trick with romcoms is that you need to make the audience at some level care about the relationship.

The DMC anime does not give a gently caress about that and plays it purely for laughs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I'm watching DMC right now.

The trick with romcoms is that you need to make the audience at some level care about the relationship.

The DMC anime does not give a gently caress about that and plays it purely for laughs.

They made a lovely live action movie. That's what we're talking about. The anime is a pretty slavish adaptation. It's just a pity that they didn't keep going til at least the Satanic Emperor Festival.

The only good thing to come out of the movie was the album they put out: "Makai Yuugi".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkpxWZ9k0y0

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 1, 2015

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Spoilers are out, seems like this chapter is going to have some backstory for Levi and Kenny.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Syrant posted:

Spoilers are out, seems like this chapter is going to have some backstory for Levi and Kenny.

Did anyone die?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Well... Levi smiled.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Is that supposed to mean he's on his deathbed or something?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Beyond a few panels and a few facts I can't say for sure but probably no one. Levi smiles at Historia for apparently punching him in his face.

Oh and Kenny is Levi's (maternal side) uncle apparently.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Does this mean that Levi and Mikasa are related? Or is that still speculative? It would make sense. In a lot of ways, now that I think about it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Syrant posted:

Oh and Kenny is Levi's (maternal side) uncle apparently.

Well that one was foreshadowed when Kenny said his sister was knocked up in the underground and was keeping her kid.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Did anyone die?

Yes.

Need a new :smug: looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/aJFtMOx.jpg

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yes.

Need a new :smug: looks like.
http://i.imgur.com/aJFtMOx.jpg
Normally, I expect that kind of face on Armin in this kind of situation, not Mikasa.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Chapter 69 is out: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/69

So, are they in some kind of undergorund city here: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/69/9 ? Or what's going on?

Since when we have that?

Im getting lost in this manga

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Chapter 69 is out: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/69

So, are they in some kind of undergorund city here: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/69/9 ? Or what's going on?

Since when we have that?

Im getting lost in this manga

There has always been an underground city. It's there to evacuate the populace. People fled down there after the false breach. The people that live there are extremely poor, it's a slum.

I like how the ending to the chapter is really hopeful and all but Uri's prophecy that "This world is ending soon." and "Only a few humans will survive" casts a dark shadow on the rest of the series. The only thing I could think of besides some impending calamity is the walls are going to be tumbling down.

Also Levi just got handed Chekov's gun.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 7, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat, Historia owns.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Now what'll Levi do with that titan serum...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Historia is the best. The best. :allears: