Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

fritzov posted:

im a novice so won't do any winter sleep overs yet so i guess nothing under 0c.

Word to the wise, you'd be surprised how often a really beautiful day can still dip under 0C at night. That being said, most basic backpacker bags/pads will take you down to a little below 0 so you're probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

alnilam posted:

Word to the wise, you'd be surprised how often a really beautiful day can still dip under 0C at night. That being said, most basic backpacker bags/pads will take you down to a little below 0 so you're probably fine.

i want to pack light so it still gotta take as little space as possible in my relative small backpack.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

I wonder how much of a bump the PCT (and the AT and other thru-hikes) is going to have this summer since Wild came out in December. I know Alaska had a bump in backpackers after Into the Wild came out, and Reese Witherspoon is more of a "popular" actress, so I'm sure a lot of people saw Wild.

I am really worried about the bump in people attempting thru hikes next year. I am pretty sure Walk in the Woods is coming out this fall. I am absolutely not against more people having an affinity for the outdoors and enjoying them. But people who do not have an understanding of the trail may be more likely to trash it. Not pack out trash, dump on the ground instead of burying it. Maybe my pessimistic mind is thinking too much into this.

Maybe the AT should limit thru-hiking permits?

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 21, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

DholmbladRU posted:

Not pack out trash, dump on the ground instead of burying it.

That's not just bad for the environment, but dangerous for other hikers right? If a bear (or something) finds food, it tends to get territorial over the area, right?

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

That's not just bad for the environment, but dangerous for other hikers right? If a bear (or something) finds food, it tends to get territorial over the area, right?

Sorry, I joined to thoughts together.

*Not packing out trash
*Dumping on the ground instead of burring it or using privy

:)

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
In the last month, I have seen privies where someone threw their used toilet paper into the bin of wood chips and another where someone decided to hover and poo poo directly onto the seat, then left it there.

Hopefully in another week or two the snow will have melted enough that I can go back to catholes.

e: what I'm trying to say is that I'm not clutching my pearls over a movie, the average hiker today is already terrible.

ploots fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 21, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

fritzov posted:

i want to pack light so it still gotta take as little space as possible in my relative small backpack.
Thermarest ZLite Sol, small. Weighs 285g, folds up and can be strapped to the outside of your pack easily. I usually attach it to the bottom of the pack using the tie-downs built in to the pack. It's not very warm and isn't very comfortable but it is cheap and light and pretty small. You'll have to put your pack under your feet since the small version is only 3/4 length.

Other option is the Thermarest Neoair XLite. The regular length weighs 455g, is warmer, more comfortable, packs down smaller (it rolls up nice and compact), it is far more expensive, and it has a crinkly sound when you sleep on it (imagine a bag of potato chips/crisps).

turevidar posted:

Pick two: light, cheap, warm

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

DholmbladRU posted:

I am really worried about the bump in people attempting thru hikes next year. I am pretty sure Walk in the Woods is coming out this fall. I am absolutely not against more people having an affinity for the outdoors and enjoying them. But people who do not have an understanding of the trail may be more likely to trash it. Not pack out trash, dump on the ground instead of burying it. Maybe my pessimistic mind is thinking too much into this.

Maybe the AT should limit thru-hiking permits?

Yeah it's a hard line to walk in my opinion. It sounds elitist and like we're a bunch of NIMBY's if we say "no keep those people away from our trails!", but at the same time there is kind of a limit on the number of people the trails can ultimately support and it also really changes the experience. Then again, the more people who experience the outdoors in this way then the more people you have who might fall in love with it and be part of conservation efforts. It's tricky. I think the biggest thing is educating people on how to hike these trails with as little impact as possible and also encourage them to do more trips to lesser traveled areas rather than only focusing on the big over used trails. So much traffic is concentrated on a relatively small area where the most popular trails are. A big part of the wilderness experience for many people is getting away from the masses so when the wilderness turns into a mass of people it loses something...but there are plenty of untraveled areas that can take some more visiting if it relieves the burden from the popular areas.

turevidar posted:

e: what I'm trying to say is that I'm not clutching my pearls over a movie, the average hiker today is already terrible.

This is probably true! It's really not that hard to be pretty LNT but it's also not hard to throw your garbage in a garbage bin but people throw poo poo on the sidewalks all the time in cities. Some people just don't care, and the more people you bring in the more of the "dont' care" people you'll get I think

Saint Fu posted:

Thermarest ZLite Sol, small. Weighs 285g, folds up and can be strapped to the outside of your pack easily. I usually attach it to the bottom of the pack using the tie-downs built in to the pack. It's not very warm and isn't very comfortable but it is cheap and light and pretty small. You'll have to put your pack under your feet since the small version is only 3/4 length.

Been meaning to ask this, but it sounds like you slept with your pack inside your tent with you on the JMT? What else did you have in your pack? Did you leave your toilet kit, etc, outside as well? I've usually just wrapped up my pack in its cover and left it outside of the tent but now I hear habituated bears will sometimes steal packs since they associate them with food, so I'm thinking I should start keeping it in the tent with me.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

Levitate posted:

Are you a side sleeper or back sleeper? Do you like firm or soft mattresses?

The cheapest and easiest to care for pads are just closed cell foam pads. They don't provide a ton of padding but it's certainly better than sleeping on the ground. Generally work best for back sleepers, since pressure on your hip if you sleeping on your side can be uncomfortable

A Therm-a-rest RidgeRest So-Lite is $30 for a regular size and under a pound. There's also the Z-Lite Sol version that folds up instead of rolling up.

For even cheaper you can get rolls of closed cell foam from places like Walmart probably. Usually dont' have a high r-value (higher value means warmer) but very cheap

If you need more padding you'll have to look at inflatable pads, but they're usually more expensive and heavier (unless you want to spend a lot on an ultralight one). Big Agnes has a $60 regular size Air Core sleeping pad that has a low r-value (again, won't do you good in cold nights) and packs down better than the foam pads, at the expensive of being about a half a pound heavier (1 lb 5 oz I think)

There are also some that combine a bit of foam and a bit of inflating and kind of bridge the difference, like the Therm-a-rest ProLite, but it'll run you $80+ probably.

So really if cost is your biggest objective, I'd go with a foam pad and see if you can make it work for you. If you're a heavy back sleeper then it might work great. If you have any outdoor gear shops nearby (I'm assuming you're not in the US since you used Celsius so I won't recommend REI) go in and try some out, they should have test pads available or let you try some of what they have in stock

Thank you for the informative answer.

I did see me error i misspelled bag as bad.

I am looking for a sleeping bag but yes i also need a pad so that is very much appreciated and i am very sorry for my bad spelling.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

Yeah it's a hard line to walk in my opinion. It sounds elitist and like we're a bunch of NIMBY's if we say "no keep those people away from our trails!", but at the same time there is kind of a limit on the number of people the trails can ultimately support and it also really changes the experience. Then again, the more people who experience the outdoors in this way then the more people you have who might fall in love with it and be part of conservation efforts. It's tricky. I think the biggest thing is educating people on how to hike these trails with as little impact as possible and also encourage them to do more trips to lesser traveled areas rather than only focusing on the big over used trails. So much traffic is concentrated on a relatively small area where the most popular trails are. A big part of the wilderness experience for many people is getting away from the masses so when the wilderness turns into a mass of people it loses something...but there are plenty of untraveled areas that can take some more visiting if it relieves the burden from the popular areas.

This is probably true! It's really not that hard to be pretty LNT but it's also not hard to throw your garbage in a garbage bin but people throw poo poo on the sidewalks all the time in cities. Some people just don't care, and the more people you bring in the more of the "dont' care" people you'll get I think
Ideally more people being interested will lead to more trails in general (that's my ideal scenario anyway) but definitely it'll get worse before it gets better. The one guy posting in here complaining about the JMT permits and WAG bags on Whitney is a great example. You're right, education is key. Sounds selfish but I'm pretty glad I did the JMT when I did. I had hiked most of the trails in Yosemite already but hadn't done the JMT. It's sounding less and less appealing the more I hear about it.

Levitate posted:

Been meaning to ask this, but it sounds like you slept with your pack inside your tent with you on the JMT? What else did you have in your pack? Did you leave your toilet kit, etc, outside as well? I've usually just wrapped up my pack in its cover and left it outside of the tent but now I hear habituated bears will sometimes steal packs since they associate them with food, so I'm thinking I should start keeping it in the tent with me.
I had a 3/8" gossamer gear pad that I used to wrap my bear canister with when I packed it to try to keep the abrasion between the bear can and the pack's cuben fiber. I folded this pad up and put it under my feet. I occasionally used my pack too but it was pretty crinkly (noisy) and didn't work great with my quilt without a sewn footbox.

But yeah, sometimes the pack was in the tent, sometimes outside. If it was outside it was leaning against the inside of the tent under a guy line so I told myself I'd hear it if anything tried to get into it. We were pretty good about putting smelly stuff in the bear cans and setting them aside, I'm sure I forgot some nights though. I've heard of bears stealing empty packs in really popular areas, Little Yosemite Valley especially. Never heard of it in the backcountry though. I probably wouldn't worry about it. My aunt and uncle who are Yosemite rangers didn't keep their packs in their tent.

e:

fritzov posted:

Thank you for the informative answer.

I did see me error i misspelled bag as bad.

I am looking for a sleeping bag but yes i also need a pad so that is very much appreciated and i am very sorry for my bad spelling.
e2:
heh vvv

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

haha wow I somehow missed that and just assumed it said pad.

It was posted a little while back in this thread that the Kelty Cosmic Down bag is one of the better deals for warmth and cost:

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Cosmic-Degree-Down-Sleeping/dp/B004O76YS2

Not the lightest, not the warmest, not the most packable, but altogether with the cost it's a pretty decent deal. I imagine you can also get a compression sack to really get the most space savings out of it that you can

Saint Fu posted:

Ideally more people being interested will lead to more trails in general (that's my ideal scenario anyway) but definitely it'll get worse before it gets better. The one guy posting in here complaining about the JMT permits and WAG bags on Whitney is a great example. You're right, education is key. Sounds selfish but I'm pretty glad I did the JMT when I did. I had hiked most of the trails in Yosemite already but hadn't done the JMT. It's sounding less and less appealing the more I hear about it.

I agree it seems selfish to say that I'm really glad I did the JMT last year but...I am. Oh well, it's a beautiful trail and hopefully things will even out a bit in another couple of years. You still have people who basically hike it every year and are loath to give that up along with the new people who want to hike it. I'll be doing a few stretches on it this September (Upper Basin to Bubbs Creek basically) and I wonder if it'll be even more crowded in late September than it was in August last year. I'm going to try to jump into the Sixty Lakes Basin instead of staying near Rae Lakes, and head into Center Basin and over Junction Pass rather than go over Forester, so hopefully I'll get some new experiences anyways.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 21, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Terrifying Effigies posted:

He was down in Georgia this spring monitoring the 'official' thru hike kickoff and compiling reports for the ATC leadership council (including that sword-carrying hiker mentioned earlier :stare: ).

There's apparently a lot of controversy swirling in the AT community over how best to handle the situation. One problem they're having is that people are automatically gravitating to the AT or PCT as they're 1) featured prominently in the books and movies, 2) are probably the only major trail system the general public is aware of outside the big National Parks. The ATC has been trying to mitigate the impact by convincing folks to go to alternate trails (like the Benton Mackay Trail), but in his words "you can't pay people to stay away from the AT."

I wasn't kidding when I said a motherfucker had a sword.

The AT is insanely crowded, and SB and I left post "huge surge of registered hikers" in April. Places like gooch gap shelter had to have had close to 100 people, 13 of which were very autistic boyscouts.

You never really expect to wait in some of the lines that formed at certain water sources that far out in the backcountry.

We took a week off the trail so I could fix a personal issue and we're headed back on Sunday.. I hope the pace of thru hikers starting has slowed, though my gut says it hasn't. I can't imagine what it's gonna look like in a few years if this increase in people they project sticks. Some places become small towns at night already.

Since we are only heading to Harpers ferry from
The falls this season we can and probably will go way slower than most, which definitely lets you truly see how many people are on the trail, but also lets you gauge where they're all shooting to shelter and avoid the crowd if you like.

People do a surprisingly good job at picking up after themselves along the trail- except in places like Gooch Gap Shelter way early in. Luckily the problem was so goddamn apparent that those boyscouts I mentioned packed out the entire sites trash as their good deed or whatever. Pounds and pounds of trash. I can only imagine what that place looks like after a camperpalooza like that and no generous boyscouts.

There are certainly too many people on the early parts of the AT right now. I'm about to go rejoin them.. I'd love to try the BK trail but that poo poo is seriously not as well blazed as the AT.

The thing I love about the AT is that even Stevie wonder couldn't get lost on it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think they expect to see an increase after wild, much as how Alaska saw a rise after Into the Wild. There's a big resurgence in outdoors endurance athletics happening right now and a lot of people are seeing it as another way of pushing their bodies. Social media also helps/hurts because they see these photos from the top of a peak at sunrise and immediately feel drawn to doing something similar. As long as the parks have their permits/reservations/limits and regulations in place they should be fine.

As far as parks getting popular, everyone just has to get in line like everyone else. Its not like the backcountry at most NPs are general admission or anything. It often requires weeks or months of planning in advance for reservations and itineraries so its not like you're going to suddenly wake up to a camp full of neighbors or anything. It might mean that the permits for a certain park might be more difficult to come by. Some of the best places are out away from those popular pull up parks. North Cascades was incredible because almost everything worth seeing requires extensive hiking to get to. No roads up to a popular peak or anything like that. If you want to see something, you have to earn it.

Newbies are almost always going to be ignorant to leave no trace regulations mostly out of being new which isn't an excuse. Once they see LNT requirements for a park they should know from then on what it means. They have their minds wrapped around trails, peaks, gear and food so LNT seems like an afterthought. The responsibility is primarily on the hikers but rangers and friends play crucial parts as well. All it takes is one person in a group to stop bad practices. I've had newbies roll their eyes when I described LNT rules at first. One of my buddies got defensive when I told him to stop feeding a chipmunk that wouldn't leave us alone in camp. I think most people assume that since their actions are non malicious in nature that they carry no consequences. Its not like they're starting a camp fire with the intent of burning down the whole forest. Therefore they don't even consider further less-obvious consequences which definitely exist.

But in general, people are egocentric pigs so there's that. Some of the poo poo I've seen is disgusting and sad.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 21, 2015

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

If the AT is too crowded, why not just... go somewhere else? It's good that people are hiking. The best defense of wilderness/public lands/trails/etc. is publicity (to varying degrees). The demographics of people visiting national parks for the last forty years has been increasing in age group, meaning it's just been the same people getting older. We want more people to be getting out. So many people visiting the AT should be seen as an education opportunity, not something to be "dealt with."

There's no way I would enjoy seeing ten people in the same spot while hiking, much less 100. But, to some people, 100 people is practically empty. That's fine. They're hopefully being educated as to how to behave when backpacking and what kind of impact even a minor human presence can have, so when they graduate from something like the AT, they'll do it right. Same goes for the JMT. It's glorious, but you're deluding yourself if you think there aren't tons of alternatives.

Go somewhere else; there are plenty of places for all of us.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Honestly it's very difficult to stop people from behaving how they want without enforcement. My friends repeatedly have fires in no fire areas and I'm always the one making sure all the embers are cold and buried so as to not have anything happen, but it's infuriating. Heck, in the stuart lake area of the enchantments there were signs saying no fires, then ridiculously nice fire pits set up at the campsites.

And that's nowhere near the issue of packing out human waste or fish guts or whatever, which most people flat out aren't going to do unless forced to.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Verman posted:

One of my buddies got defensive when I told him to stop feeding a chipmunk that wouldn't leave us alone in camp. I think most people assume that since their actions are non malicious in nature that they carry no consequences. Its not like they're starting a camp fire with the intent of burning down the whole forest. Therefore they don't even consider further less-obvious consequences which definitely exist.

But in general, people are egocentric pigs so there's that. Some of the poo poo I've seen is disgusting and sad.

In my general experience, people just have no clue how scale works. Or rate. Or probability. Or anything that involves thinking outside of that moment. Your friend just can't comprehend what happens if every person feeds that squirrel because he isn't there to see it all. It's not real to him. People have no idea that even a 0.3% chance of causing a dangerous fire would mean that it happened, on average, more than once per year if that action was taking nightly.

I have no idea how to also teach people about these concepts because they don't seem to come naturally to people and they don't really want to learn.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need a new backpack for day hikes (and one or two day overnight travel trips, non-hiking), is there any reason to get the Osprey Talon 22 for $100 versus the REI Flash 22 for $50? I haven't checked them out in person, but just from looking online the Osprey looks a lot sturdier. It weighs an extra 7oz, but I'm not an ultralight hiker anyway. FWIW, I'm 6'3" and broad shouldered, and I noticed the Osprey does come in different sizes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

If the AT is too crowded, why not just... go somewhere else? It's good that people are hiking. The best defense of wilderness/public lands/trails/etc. is publicity (to varying degrees). The demographics of people visiting national parks for the last forty years has been increasing in age group, meaning it's just been the same people getting older. We want more people to be getting out. So many people visiting the AT should be seen as an education opportunity, not something to be "dealt with."

There's no way I would enjoy seeing ten people in the same spot while hiking, much less 100. But, to some people, 100 people is practically empty. That's fine. They're hopefully being educated as to how to behave when backpacking and what kind of impact even a minor human presence can have, so when they graduate from something like the AT, they'll do it right. Same goes for the JMT. It's glorious, but you're deluding yourself if you think there aren't tons of alternatives.

Go somewhere else; there are plenty of places for all of us.

Yup, that's what I"m saying as well, but it's also a bit hard to resist the lure of the classic big name hikes sometimes. The AT is also kind of a social experience now as well and I think there are a lot of people who do it and continue doing it for just that reason. I didn't know the JMT was getting so crowded until I started planning for it, but on the other hand it wasn't that bad overall and the most crowded areas were places like Thousand Island Lake and Rae Lakes where you get a lot of people doing short trips into the area from other locations. Then you go off the JMT a bit and there's no one around at all.

The ease of those "big name" hikes is alluring though. e: I think what I'd always tell new hikers or people interested (or people coming into this thread to learn more) is go out and explore the areas around you and look for off the beaten path hikes as well instead of focusing on the most popular. I want people to get outdoors and do more, but not just all in the same place :)

mastershakeman posted:

Honestly it's very difficult to stop people from behaving how they want without enforcement. My friends repeatedly have fires in no fire areas and I'm always the one making sure all the embers are cold and buried so as to not have anything happen, but it's infuriating. Heck, in the stuart lake area of the enchantments there were signs saying no fires, then ridiculously nice fire pits set up at the campsites.

And that's nowhere near the issue of packing out human waste or fish guts or whatever, which most people flat out aren't going to do unless forced to.

Yeah these are some of the bigger problems. It's easy to compartmentalize a bit for some people who tell themselves "it's ok, I'm not doing much/any damage and there's already this firepit here and if I break a few branches off this tree it's not going to hurt anything" and "I'll just leave the fire burning overnight it won't hurt anything". I've seen a lot of curmudgeonly old hikers talk about destroying firepits and fire rings that pop up in prohibited areas, since it just encourages people to use them, but most people aren't going to do that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Frankly I think that if it gets to the point where there's enough hiking popularity that trails are getting crowded when away from the parking lots, then the solution is just to build new trail systems. While there has been some mild expansion in terms of historical sites, we're still functionally using the nature and recreation parks that were built by the Roosevelts at the beginning of the 20th century.

Beyond that though, I think that expecting the public at large to embrace cold camps and poo bags is a pretty hopeless endeavour. Particularly when 99% of the time the average American is being far more destructive to the environment than feeding squirrels and burning fallen branches in fire rings. I'm pretty good about it myself, but personally I'm just not willing to have those sorts of conversations with my friends.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 21, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

fritzov posted:

im a novice so won't do any winter sleep overs yet so i guess nothing under 0c.

I sleep hot, and it's spring time right now so for me I use a SOL Escape Breathable Bivvy Bag and a Polyester Sleeping bag liner on top of a Big Agnes QCore Insulated SL sleeping pad. Total weight of the sleep system is less than a pound or so but I'd hate to use it below 40 degrees F I think.. but if I threw on my long jons and fleece and dry socks I'd be fine. If I get too cold on goes my jacket and gloves. That heat reflective Bivvy is some space age poo poo, and cheaper than gently caress, too. I have yet to use my 30 degree sleeping bag. It's just a few pounds of deadweight I'm thinking of leaving at home in the future.

Adventure Medical Kits Survive Outdoors Longer Escape, Bivvy Breathable Blanket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075ZS096/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_iZPnvb08SM265

That Is the Bivvy I'm talking about. That things heat reflecting and my insulated pad and a liner is too much heat for me above 65 degrees. Weighs way the hell less than a pound, too. But I sleep hot, and have no clue how this setup does below freezing. Coldest I've taken it was lower 40's, and I think something like a space blanket or maybe a small super compacting fleece blanket similar would have made that far more comfortable.

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone use a pump or bag to fill their air mattress, just scored two neoair xlite pads :)

The Camptek Microburst gets my full and complete endorsement. The site is janky, the product feels janky, but it's a goddamn miracle worker for me and I've yet to find a big Agnes pad it couldn't inflate. P. Sure it'd work with thermarest too. Might double check that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kaal posted:

Frankly I think that if it gets to the point where there's enough hiking popularity that trails are getting crowded when away from the parking lots, then the solution is just to build new trail systems. While there has been some mild expansion in terms of historical sites, we're still functionally using the nature and recreation parks that were built by the Roosevelts at the beginning of the 20th century.

Beyond that though, I think that expecting the public at large to embrace cold camps and poo bags is a pretty hopeless endeavour. Particularly when 99% of the time the average American is being far more destructive to the environment than feeding squirrels and burning fallen branches in fire rings. I'm pretty good about it myself, but personally I'm just not willing to have those sorts of conversations with my friends.

I think some of the problem is that the current trail system really isn't overused in general, just some specific popular trails. Often many of those trails aren't really even that much harder to get to...still have paved or maintained roads leading to the trail heads and maintained trails for people to hike on. It also costs money to expand and maintain those trails, which the parks and forest service don't really have.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

fritzov posted:

This is what I use, Klymit Static V - http://www.rei.com/product/850321/klymit-static-v-sleeping-pad

It also comes in a warmer version, Klymit Static V Insulated - http://www.rei.com/product/866835/klymit-insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad

Both takes up almost no space.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

I need a new backpack for day hikes (and one or two day overnight travel trips, non-hiking), is there any reason to get the Osprey Talon 22 for $100 versus the REI Flash 22 for $50? I haven't checked them out in person, but just from looking online the Osprey looks a lot sturdier. It weighs an extra 7oz, but I'm not an ultralight hiker anyway. FWIW, I'm 6'3" and broad shouldered, and I noticed the Osprey does come in different sizes.

If I were in your situation, I would buy the Talon. Osprey will repair or replace worn out gear for life.

I have a Mammut Lithium Z 20L pack that has some antigravity magic built into it, try on their packs if you have a chance.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My wife and I are looking for a two-night backpacking trip in Yosemite in the next few months. Preferably somewhere out in the Tuolomne area where we could camp by a lake one night, anywhere really on the other night, then loop back to our car. Maybe a peak if possible. Any recommendations?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

khysanth posted:

My wife and I are looking for a two-night backpacking trip in Yosemite in the next few months. Preferably somewhere out in the Tuolomne area where we could camp by a lake one night, anywhere really on the other night, then loop back to our car. Maybe a peak if possible. Any recommendations?

Two nights is a great idea, because you can really get out to the backcountry. Also, Yosemite has that nice shuttle system, which means you don't have to hike back to your car. I haven't done any longer trips in that area besides hiking from the valley up to Tuolomne Meadows via Sunrise Mountain (which is great, incidentally). Just looking at the trailhead info, maybe try Glen Aulin to May Lake? There are plenty of side trails to check out too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

turevidar posted:

If I were in your situation, I would buy the Talon. Osprey will repair or replace worn out gear for life.

I have a Mammut Lithium Z 20L pack that has some antigravity magic built into it, try on their packs if you have a chance.

That Mammut pack looks pretty nice and is $40 cheaper, I may just see if REI has all of them so I can try them on. Thanks!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I'm putting together food for This AT hike restart, and I've gone full retard and bought into the freezer bag cooking thing.

While what follows is a lot of :words: it's my retarded attempt to simplify my cooking into FBC style meals, keep my cookware clean of food, and have a minimum of prep with a modicum of variety and taste during my hikes.

The plan is 2 breakfast options A) is granola w/milk and protein powder and B) is Oatmeal with Dried Fruits

Lunch is gonna be one of two trail mixes: A) is sweet and B) is savory/spicy .. Both in their individual largish servings I guess.

I figure for dinner meal option A) I'm gonna cook and dehydrate (now, not then obviously.) 1-3 servings of Orzo, then sufficient homemade dehydrated spicy marinara sauce powder, 1-3 servings of cooked/dehydrated veggies that I'd like (Carrots, Onion, Bell Pepper, Eggplant, etc) and then add a healthy dose of Parmesan cheese. Just add boiling water and protein.

For protein I plan on carrying out foil packs of Chicken and Tuna and (maybe) an appropriate container of whatever cured sausage it is you can keep non refrigerated (I need to look into this) sausages in.

Dinner Meal Option B) is 1-3 servings of cooked then dehydrated bowtie or elbow pasta and 1-3 servings of dehydrated veggies, and mushrooms, and then cheesy sauce powder and Alfredo sauce powder. Any of my proteins should work fine for this, but my least fave (tuna) will hopefully taste better here than with the other meal option. :)

Then I'll take however many big rear end snickers bars I can add to my food sack without it getting too retarded.

Why snickers? You can trade a good meal or a few servings of some snacks in return for a whole snickers bar in a populated camp. I figure since I don't really like them like a mad man I'll only be tempted to eat them as my regular food is boring me, and that's when they're perfect to trade them for other people's trail food they've tired of once my own gets monotonous. Sounds retarded but I swear a full size snickers bar is a pretty sound form of trail food currency. It's not a C-note, but it's not a fiver either. If you get the big ones which are essentially 2 full snickers, you can trade each one from your package to a different person for instance. Or if I'm feeling a snickers, only trade one off. Or if I'm wrong then fatty here has himself some snickers to keep away from mice)

Thoughts? Critiques? I had awesome dehydrated stews and chili from my wife last time, but cooking in the pot, and therefore cleaning said titanium wonderfuck pot, is harem. Never again. All I do for camp cooking from here on out I'm hoping is boil water to add to a freezer bag. Or add it cold. Should make LNT easier too. I hope. The trail mix and the breakfasts already work for me.. I'm wondering if those dinner plans are the least bit rational..

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

I think some of the problem is that the current trail system really isn't overused in general, just some specific popular trails. Often many of those trails aren't really even that much harder to get to...still have paved or maintained roads leading to the trail heads and maintained trails for people to hike on. It also costs money to expand and maintain those trails, which the parks and forest service don't really have.

I've read various pieces that claim something like %90 of the crowds visit %10 of the trails. I'm all for expanding access to trails and wilderness areas because I think an increase in their popularity will help protect them more long term by creating advocates for parks and wilderness. But I also dont want to see more trail construction. Let it get as popular as ever but I don't want to see a paved trail through Denali. Give the people who really love it and are physically capable the chance to get out and get lost.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This will be the hike of a lifetime. :stare:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've read various pieces that claim something like %90 of the crowds visit %10 of the trails. I'm all for expanding access to trails and wilderness areas because I think an increase in their popularity will help protect them more long term by creating advocates for parks and wilderness. But I also dont want to see more trail construction. Let it get as popular as ever but I don't want to see a paved trail through Denali. Give the people who really love it and are physically capable the chance to get out and get lost.

I admit I'm ignorant of backpacking in general, but organizations like the National Parks could just work with mass media in order to sell people on different adventures, trails. That's basically what everybody else did for decades. Book/Movie character goes on and on about how he's sick of merlot the AT and prefers unpopuular thing.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 22, 2015

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The plan is 2 breakfast options A) is granola w/milk and protein powder and B) is Oatmeal with Dried Fruits

How set are you on having a "real breakfast"? Hitting the trail immediately as you get up and having a granola bar/protein bar while hiking will a) save you a good half hour at least, b) warm you up quicker, c) give you less hassle to deal with in the morning.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Poptarts are the best walking breakfast

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The Camptek Microburst gets my full and complete endorsement. The site is janky, the product feels janky, but it's a goddamn miracle worker for me and I've yet to find a big Agnes pad it couldn't inflate. P. Sure it'd work with thermarest too. Might double check that.

Works with the thermorest :)

Thank you

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there anywhere I can cheaply buy a bunch of hot sauce, mustard, and olive oil packets? I found a couple sites that will pick out the number of packets you want, but the prices + shipping are really high. This would be perfect, but you have too get 100 packets. Alternatively, how do you package condiments to take them along?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 22, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can get boxes of 500 for like $10 on Amazon, probably less if you can find them local. Do a group buy with some buddies? Stock up for the next few years?

Or just make a habit of grabbing a few extra every time you get fast food, heh.

Alternatively, get some of those small squeeze bottles with closing caps.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr Smith was correct http://youtu.be/L5foZIKuEWQ

I don't hike with lovely people and haven't had a bad experience since I have been in colorado.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Rime posted:

Better be a pretty drat amazing hike to be worth going to Nagorno Karabakh. Was the Iranian border booked up this year?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there anywhere I can cheaply buy a bunch of hot sauce, mustard, and olive oil packets? I found a couple sites that will pick out the number of packets you want, but the prices + shipping are really high. This would be perfect, but you have too get 100 packets. Alternatively, how do you package condiments to take them along?

I have used this place some a while ago. They took my money and shipped me stuff no problem.

http://www.minimus.biz/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Discomancer posted:

How set are you on having a "real breakfast"? Hitting the trail immediately as you get up and having a granola bar/protein bar while hiking will a) save you a good half hour at least, b) warm you up quicker, c) give you less hassle to deal with in the morning.

And go without coffee?? You heathen.

Rime posted:

So... What's the particular attraction to go someplace where there's a legitimate chance of becoming horribly maimed or killed (through no fault of your own)? I mean, there's plenty of amazing places to travel and visit around the world, why someplace with an active minefield? Is there something like Angkor Wat tucked away there?

It's not like Dolly Sods where every couple of years someone will occasionally find some unexploded ordinance...

hailthefish posted:

Or just make a habit of grabbing a few extra every time you get fast food, heh.

This--I always snag a handful of jelly packets when I go to Chik-Fil-A, so I can pack bread and Jason's peanut butter packets and have a pb&j on the trail

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

OSU_Matthew posted:

And go without coffee?? You heathen.
http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Maximum-Potency-Tablets-tablets/dp/B008LEHYMO/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429668316&sr=1-9