Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Prism posted:

Out of interest, what's the unarmed glitch? I don't know that one.

Also, does anyone have a link to that version of the spoilered music?

If anyone knows Fist Mastery and leaves the first armor slot empty, they can use Fist skills while wielding a weapon.

As for your second question, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Awesome, thanks! Is there someplace where all these formulas and things are tucked away neatly? The wiki doesn't seem to have any of that information (assuming the wiki is etrian.wikia), so is it just a matter of asking and digging around until you find someone who knows the magic numbers?

Sidenote, did EO4 seriously double-crayfish me?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Was googling around about EOU2, came across this.

From what I could tell, it's from an art book or something. The "DLC" in the top left is off-putting, and the ladylander looks a little silly, but at least they highlanders got their own portraits.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zenostein posted:

lol yeah

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Awesome, thanks! Is there someplace where all these formulas and things are tucked away neatly? The wiki doesn't seem to have any of that information (assuming the wiki is etrian.wikia), so is it just a matter of asking and digging around until you find someone who knows the magic numbers?

Yeah, don't look at that wiki. It's incomplete and incorrect about a lot of things. The real sources of info are the Gamefaqs boards (Not the actual FAQs, those don't contain a lot of info about the actual mechanics.) and the Japanese wiki if you can read Google Translate. That said, there's not as much info on EO4 compared to the DS games.

And yes. It did. :allears:

Oh man, the final boss music in EMD is Their Own Brand of Justice. :swoon:

EDIT: Okay that was really anticlimactic. Hopefully the postgame has more teeth. The main game has been pretty easy so far.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 21, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

gannyGrabber posted:

Was googling around about EOU2, came across this.

From what I could tell, it's from an art book or something. The "DLC" in the top left is off-putting, and the ladylander looks a little silly, but at least they highlanders got their own portraits.

If you're worried about paying for the Highlander class, the DLC was available the day the game was released in Japan, and was also free for the first two weeks after release. I can't imagine Atlus USA will change that when EO2U hits the US.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

gannyGrabber posted:

I dunno, I like fem-Highlander.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The skirt could be a little dumb but it's a hard to tell from the angle. And since there's not going to be any moving model for her to make it more obvious I'm willing to just let it slide. Even if it is some super-fanservice miniskirt action, it's still better than the look you hard to go with for female Nightseekers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
If I were to get annoyed about anything it would be the fact that the male Highlander is very clearly wearing actual mail under his scotsman tunic, while the female...argh.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i've dabbled in like, 2 different EO games (1 and 3 I think?) but never got too far past the first stratum in either. Now I have a huge hankering to play one of them and I just obtained a copy of 4 from a friend. Does 4 have the party composition sperging and difficulty I crave or is another EO a better choice for that? also hows the postgame

theshim
May 1, 2012

All of them have some party deliberation and gently caress-yous. That said, if you've had trouble getting into things, EO4 is definitely the easiest to get into the series with, as well as having the best balanced classes and some truly silly combos. I'd recommend it.

Also the postgame in 4 is creepy as hell.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
sounds good. if i manage to finish up EO4 maybe I'll check out EO3 or Persona Q (though does PQ have the same sort of difficulty/customization as a mainline EO?)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She'll prolly grow on me when I do my 5 highlander run, but I think the pose combined with the stupid look on her face is really awful. Is there just one portrait, or is their an alt like with every other class?

I wish they'd give us an alt gunner dressed more like Frederica, I thought her costume was a lot better than what regular gunners run around in. We need more portrait options!

E:

Farg posted:

sounds good. if i manage to finish up EO4 maybe I'll check out EO3 or Persona Q (though does PQ have the same sort of difficulty/customization as a mainline EO?)

I would honestly warn you away from PQ: it's very long and the real meat of the game is fairly underwhelming, the balance with the difficulty goes from too easy to stupidly hard and there's no real middle ground.

If you want to sperg out with really weird, finicky classes go with EO3, otherwise I'd go with EOU after you're done with 4. It's a little jarring going from the clean, high quality presentation of 4 back to the older ds games.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 22, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

I wish they'd give us an alt gunner dressed more like Frederica, I thought her costume was a lot better than what regular gunners run around in. We need more portrait options!
what no jack frost gunner is the best get outta here :argh:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Next yall are gonna be saying that landsknecht 2 is a bad design or something

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Her hair is a bit chunky (Himukai got better at hair later) and her midriff is showing but otherwise it looks good. Landys have that whole thing about shedding their armor to do more damage (and go faster in EO4) anyways.

I think my favorite EO character design is either the Protector Imperial or the hype Princess. It helps I like those classes mechanically though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
This dumb idiot will always be the best EO character

I like the little bobbles weighing down her bandana thingy. I imagine every time she whips her head around she gets smacked in the face with one of 'em.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hivac posted:

Next yall are gonna be saying that landsknecht 2 is a bad design or something

The male designs are better, especially the blue haired guy.

gannyGrabber posted:

i will fight you

I couldn't outplay the dice roll. :negative: This was my best attempt out of several with this party. (GA/BG/YH, MP/ZG)

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

This dumb idiot will always be the best EO character

I like the little bobbles weighing down her bandana thingy. I imagine every time she whips her head around she gets smacked in the face with one of 'em.

Yeah, I'll agree with you one hundred percent there. I was actually sad to have to get rid of her from my party when I retired her out for an Imperial, but then I brought her back for New Game + when I realized I didn't really like Bushi.

theshim posted:

what no jack frost gunner is the best get outta here :argh:

And also this, loving love Jack Frost Gunner.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ok, im going to try EO2 again, the LP won me over to give it another shot. My issue with this one is just that I run out of resources super early and cant ever seem to make any progress about the time I hit the 3rd floor. Any advice? Or should I just get good/lucky?

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
EO:U is on sale for $15 on the US store this week. Does the save data copy over to EO:U2 or did they stop that?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Man the games have so many good character portrait choices that I have a hard time picking my favourites or even fitting them all in one party. I have an easier time picking my favourite male portraits though; my favourite dudes from each of the game are HUGE Protector, red-haired Gladiator (runner up: younger Shogun), and blond Landsknecht. I like too many of the girls in 1/2 to make a choice, blonde Princess and kimono Ninja are the standouts from 3, and from 4 I always like to use the Sniper based on chestwraps Ronin (runner ups: glasses Medic and bandanna Landsknecht, but I always use the blond dude anyway).

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 22, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiXA84z-55Q

Classic Mode trailer for EO2U! Who's ready to get murdered by butterflies? Oh yeah, and Sovereign is the name they're sticking with for the Prince and Princess.

BrightWing posted:

My issue with this one is just that I run out of resources super early and cant ever seem to make any progress about the time I hit the 3rd floor. Any advice? Or should I just get good/lucky?

Well first off, what are the classes you're going with?

In general, don't play too conservatively. The earlygame is easily the toughest part of the game, but try to make every trip into the Labyrinth count, like discovering a new shortcut, getting a lot of drops from enemies, progressing the plot, etc. You want to stay as long as possible in the Labyrinth without anyone dying, so if anyone bites it, or is about to kick the bucket, get out. Preferably without using a Warp Wire if you can. If you're too far in, just use one. The reason for this is because you want to farm up enemy drops so that you're making a profit every time you come out. If you do that, you'll avoid falling into a pitfall where you run out of money and supplies early on. If that fails, just make a 5 Survivalist Team and farm from the Take point on the first floor to make money. You only have a 1% chance of being ambushed there, so if that actually happens, just reset.

Now I have a really aggressive playstyle when I play EO games, which sometimes leads to me overextending and dying. So this might not be the best advice to follow.

Spuzzz posted:

EO:U is on sale for $15 on the US store this week. Does the save data copy over to EO:U2 or did they stop that?

From what I've heard, importing EOU save data to EO2U gives a really minor bonus. Mainly that you can trade Grimoires with your old party. That's it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sovereign is weird because it implies they're actually ruling the realm and poo poo and don't have time for adventures into dungeons.

My headcanon was that the prince who set up my EO3 guild was a minor member of the ruling family way in the back in terms of succession, and had the relative freedom to disappear for like a year to go stab monsters.

theshim
May 1, 2012

still probably going to end up playing story first

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to just wait until EOU2 but $15 EOU is pretty enticing, is the game actually any good (still playing through EO4 and EMD)?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

steakmancer posted:

I want to just wait until EOU2 but $15 EOU is pretty enticing, is the game actually any good (still playing through EO4 and EMD)?

It's good

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

theshim posted:

Also the postgame in 4 is creepy as hell.

I just made it to EO4's postgame, I can confirm

I'm loving this postgame dungeon, but weirdly enough I kind of just wanna start a new game and try out some other builds.
Why does this game only have one save slot :negative:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
EO4 question: are Snipers actually good for anything when fighting Warped Savior? I just lost to the thing when it had like a tiny sliver of health left before it closed its eye again, and I'm really beginning to question how useful my Sniper/Arcanist is in this fight. She doesn't ever seem to actually bind Warped Savior and without leg binds Squall Volley is completely worthless. I'm considering swapping her out for my Nightseeker--would that be a good idea or am I just missing something with Snipers here?

e: When I say tiny sliver of health, I mean:

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 22, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Switching her out for Nightseeker sounds like a good idea.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, if you want binds, Arcanist is far better for that. They can actually bind the Warped Savior more often than a Sniper can. Snipers can probably contribute more if they have a Bushi subclass and just go straight for damage. But yeah, if you need damage, go with Nightseeker. Spread Throw + Venom Throw takes out the arms really fast.

steakmancer posted:

$15 is a great deal for the game. Go for it.

:woop: :hellyeah: Tagen Battou or Warrior Might wasn't necessary at all. Giving my Zodiac a mace and letting her go to town on the AG was apparently all I needed to take it down. Also if you're gonna try to fight the Abyssal God fair and square (why would you do this?), you NEED Knighthood. It's the only way to make the fight bearable and much less unforgiving. That said I am never doing that again. What an annoying unfun fight.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 22, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, if you want binds, Arcanist is far better for that. They can actually bind the Warped Savior more often than a Sniper can. Snipers can probably contribute more if they have a Bushi subclass and just go straight for damage. But yeah, if you need damage, go with Nightseeker. Spread Throw + Venom Throw takes out the arms really fast.

Fun thing is that I was using an Arcanist :v:. Party was I/R D/F, S/A R/I A/M before I subbed in the Nightseeker. I probably should be using an actual Fortress instead of a Dancer/Fortress by this point because dodge-tanking with Taunt doesn't do a whole lot vs. AoE elemental attacks; he's mostly there to inflate the Burst gauge.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

$15 is a great deal for the game. Go for it.

Yeah can I get some sane opinions on this game

Edit: I'm just really concerned about the historical necessity of running resource-gathering forays to keep your equipment relevant (which I feel is unneccessary in EO4) and that just sounds really tedious and hoped that played less of a part in EOU

steakmancer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 22, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also if you're gonna try to fight the Abyssal GodPrimevil fair and square (why would you do this?), you NEED Knighthood1st Turn. It's the only way to make the fight bearable and much less unforgiving. That said I am never doing that again. What an annoying unfun fight.

Yeah.

steakmancer posted:

Classic mode's an okay remake of the first game with some rebalancing (landsknecht and survivalist are poo poo, slightly better than EO2), but Story mode poo poo is locked to Story so you can't 100% it in Classic which is balls.

quote:

Edit: I'm just really concerned about the historical necessity of running resource-gathering forays to keep your equipment relevant (which I feel is unneccessary in EO4) and that just sounds really tedious and hoped that played less of a part in EOU
it's really easy to make money in classic and you'll make money from grinding FOEs later in both modes anyways

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
You're stuck with the 5 guys in story mode right

Edit: Did I imagine the gathering-squads being required to keep pace with the Stratum or is that part of EO2 or 3

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, that's why it sucks gathering resources cause nobody's a survivalist and you wouldn't want to dedicate someone to gathering anyways. There's grimoire stones with the skills but hoooooo boy farming those up

(I didn't exploit)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

steakmancer posted:

EOU doesn't do the everything needs to be restocked thing, but the unlock requirements are higher.

I personally found Story Mode to be really boring and not that great of an addition, but some people ended up liking it, and for others it was actually the main thing to get them to try out the EO series. Only one character in the story mode party is actually interesting, while the rest of the characters are static and don't develop at all. The plot itself is a heavily butchered version of the original game's plot, and is pretty much just filled with JRPG cliches.

Classic Mode feels really tacked on with how it was treated in EOU. But if you want to try out EO1, it may be better to just play EOU Classic Mode instead since it has a lot of quality of life stuff the original EO1 lacked. Though honestly I think the original EO is worth playing at some point.

steakmancer posted:

You're stuck with the 5 guys in story mode right

Edit: Did I imagine the gathering-squads being required to keep pace with the Stratum or is that part of EO2 or 3

Yep. You can't really customize your party in story mode.

That was a thing in the DS EO games. Not so much the 3DS ones. Gathering in EOU is a hybrid of EO4's and EO2's gathering methods. But if you want a higher chance of getting rare items, you have to invest in the gathering skills.

I dunno, Primevil wasn't nearly as annoying as the Abyssal God. It was impossible to cheese, but the only RNG that could screw you over in that fight was if it decided to spam Segment over and over. I don't think 1st Turn is really necessary unless you forgot to recast Immunize.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I dunno, Primevil wasn't nearly as annoying as the Abyssal God. It was impossible to cheese, but the only RNG that could screw you over in that fight was if it decided to spam Segment over and over. I don't think 1st Turn is really necessary unless you forgot to recast Immunize.

My tactic involved having immunize and relaxing up to bait the buff removal while my survivalist shoveled boost items into my medic so i could 1st turn boost immunize them for the random elemental attack the next turn while the rest of my party whittled away at its hp. Occasionally i'd switch to the default tactic for fixed turns. It was pretty hectic.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is it on sale on the EU eshop also...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No, it is not. It will be eventually, I'm sure and will be quite a steal. Unless you happen to luck out and find a physical copy, those are liquid gold.

• Locked thread