Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Which means more MP100 so I'm okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Here's an idea, how about you just don't post spoilers no matter what? There's an entire thread where you can post this and no one will mind and you dont even has to clarify how spoilery it is. Go there

I respect the willpower implied in this comment, which I assume you could only make without clicking on what he wrote. It's not a spoiler

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saitama eventually does a funny thing later.

*probated for posting spoilers*

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Saitama eventually does a funny thing later.

*probated for posting spoilers*

Only one?

Man, OPM gets dark.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I can't even imagine getting probated for spoiling uninteresting poo poo like: Saitama chews bubble gum during villain's speech. Saitama forgets to do housework in the middle of a fight and panics over it. Genos continues to be extremely serious all the time.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
spoilers: one punch man beats the bad guy with one punch

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Davinci posted:

Seems like Murata is progressing along quicker than ONE is though, so he'll probably catch up at some point.

That's.......actually a little embarrassing to be honest.

ONE isn't even half the artist Murata is, so it shouldn't take him anywhere near as much time to draft up a story arc compared to Murata.

I know that One Mob Psycho (?) is his baby and all, but he's gonna have to start stepping up his quota now that he has a television show and Murata's version hot on his heels.

Can't be lazy with your series anymore ONE, you got responsibilities now!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

OPM is a little side thing he does. He has no reason to update it faster if he doesn't want to. Plus if he updated it more Mob Psycho would probably be updated less and that would be a true tragedy.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Parrotine posted:

ONE isn't even half the artist Murata is, so it shouldn't take him anywhere near as much time to draft up a story arc compared to Murata.

I know that One Mob Psycho (?) is his baby and all, but he's gonna have to start stepping up his quota now that he has a television show and Murata's version hot on his heels.

I dunno, if you compare One and Murata, a lot of the time Murata is literally using the exact same panelling/layout that One makes. I think this discussion has arisen before actually, but even though Murata is obviously spending probably aeons on every panel, at least he's not too often spending time actually laying them out because One's basically already done all of that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
OPM is a webcomic, mob psycho is a published work that one is being paid for. He can't just ditch mob psycho to put out opm faster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What else is Murata working on besides OPM?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Realtalk I wouldn't be surprised if ONE lets Murata catch up for the express purpose of teaming up and continuing from there.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

He does have responsibilities but it is the exact opposite of what you think they are. One Punch is something he draws as a hobby. Mob Psycho is something that he draws as a job. He has deadlines, and editors, and a manager when working on Mob Psycho. It isn't his fault that his hobby comic basically hit it mega-huge after he'd been working on Mob for a year already. So basically what this guy said:

Serious Frolicking posted:

OPM is a webcomic, mob psycho is a published work that one is being paid for. He can't just ditch mob psycho to put out opm faster.

He has deadlines and paychecks riding on Mob Psycho. One Punch Man is just a hobby side story he writes for fun. Of course he's slowed down on it as work on his other comic picked up. That's how life and responsibilities and prioritizing works.

And if you think OPM is worth more than Mob Psycho, buddy, you should go read Mob Psycho.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Until recently, Mob Psycho 100 was what was paying his bills. That will probably change if OPM continues to keep getting big. Though I imagine he has to split royalties with Murata.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murata is making more off of the redraw than ONE is, but whatever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Which did he start doing first: Mob Psycho 100 or OPM?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which did he start doing first: Mob Psycho 100 or OPM?

OPM by about a year, and then he got serialized to work on Mob Psycho 100. OPM at that point is only a webcomic. About 6-8 months after that, Murata started on the OPM redraw, and his version of OPM is a serialized work.

OPM was his hobby comic until he got a real job, and then OPM became someone else's real job while he was working on Mob.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Parrotine posted:

ONE is Japan's GRRM.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Eej posted:

ONE is Japan's GRRM.

Can't say I blame him for slowing down. It seems like nobody has tried paying him for his work, yet.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Eej posted:

ONE is Japan's GRRM.

ONE would be GRRM if his wildcards wasn't actually better than GoT.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's such an insult to ONE, god-drat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gnome7 posted:

He does have responsibilities but it is the exact opposite of what you think they are. One Punch is something he draws as a hobby. Mob Psycho is something that he draws as a job.

Every time I read something like this I just picture a slightly reframed context for a Saitama "It's just a hobby" panel. Murata isn't the Saitama of art, it's ONE. And any time people question his priorities or methods regarding the comic the response is the same. I imagine if/when Murata catches up he'll just let Murata take over art duties and do the writing for the comic, with maybe some sketchy (even by his normal OPM standards) layouts to work from, so that he can prioritize MB100 while doing as little as he needs to to keep OPM going. It makes sense to do so after all, since it's being sold with Murata's art now anyways and his version is basically already serving as a layout for the redraw as is.

He might even just give Murata notes to do the writing from himself, becoming more of a consultant on the series than author at that point, since hasn't Murata done manga on his own before? I don't know how good they were writing wise, but if he's got good notes he can probably pick up the slack himself or hire someone else to help do the writing based off ONE's notes and consultation regarding intent and the spirit he envisions for it.

gnome7 posted:

And if you think OPM is worth more than Mob Psycho, buddy, you should go read Mob Psycho.

I have, OPM is better by far in my opinion - though I seem to be much in the majority in that regard.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 22, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Mob Psycho is great fun, but it isn't being redrawn by one of the best manga artists I've ever seen.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tsob posted:

He might even just give Murata notes to do the writing from himself, becoming more of a consultant on the series than author at that point, since hasn't Murata done manga on his own before? I don't know how good they were writing wise, but if he's got good notes he can probably pick up the slack himself or hire someone else to help do the writing based off ONE's notes and consultation regarding intent and the spirit he envisions for it.
OPM is as popular as it is today solely because of its writing. If it didnt have godlike writing it wouldn't have so many readers and Murata wouldn't be redrawing it. So giving away the writing would be fantastically moronic. I have no doubt Murata could do basically the entire comic by himself except for the writing.

Best would be, ONE does writing, does storybording together with and Murata, who then draws it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bisse posted:

OPM is as popular as it is today solely because of its writing. If it didnt have godlike writing it wouldn't have so many readers and Murata wouldn't be redrawing it. So giving away the writing would be fantastically moronic. I have no doubt Murata could do basically the entire comic by himself except for the writing.

Best would be, ONE does writing, does storybording together with and Murata, who then draws it.

You do know the ONE version is pretty much a storyboard.
In fact it is the storyboard that Murata uses, down to scene composition and everything.

Some of you are way underselling the writing though.
Honestly I couldn't care less if Murata stopped doing it as long as ONE doesn't stop writing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There will probably be some external pressure to put out more chapters of OPM as Murata catches up and the anime builds even more of an audience, but since the next arc is pretty long and the anime doesn't air until Octoberish, there is plenty of time for him to respond to that pressure.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Shugojin posted:

There will probably be some external pressure to put out more chapters of OPM as Murata catches up and the anime builds even more of an audience, but since the next arc is pretty long and the anime doesn't air until Octoberish, there is plenty of time for him to respond to that pressure.

I feel like slowing down, letting Murata catch up, and then dropping his version to just do the scripting and writing for a purely Murata drawn version is the most likely outcome. It takes some of the pressure off ONE while he works on his main series, and at most slows Murata down some since he can't just punchup ONE's layouts.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It could be a case that ONE is suffering a bit of writer's block with OPM at the moment and just hasn't thought of a real winning idea to move forward with yet.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I hope they introduce a tank top disciple with two tank tops and a mask

They could call him

"Two Tank Kamen"

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

K Prime posted:

I hope they introduce a tank top disciple with two tank tops and a mask

They could call him

"Two Tank Kamen"
Better Tutankhamun name joke:

(from American Barbarian)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

tsob posted:

I'm not a Murata expert, but the main thing I remember him from is Eyeshield 21, which had another writer.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eej posted:

ONE is Japan's GRRM.

I think you mean Miura.

tsob posted:

I have, OPM is better by far in my opinion - though I seem to be much in the majority in that regard.

I think Mob Psycho is great and all - one of my favorite mangas in fact - but I have way, way more fun reading OPM.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Honestly I couldn't care less if Murata stopped doing it as long as ONE doesn't stop writing.

Yeah, exactly. Not that I'm not constantly amazed by how obscenely gorgeous Murata's art is, but there's a reason Murata picked it up in the first place.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.

Parrotine posted:

It could be a case that ONE is suffering a bit of writer's block with OPM at the moment and just hasn't thought of a real winning idea to move forward with yet.

He's been working with Murata for a while hasn't he? If so then there's no real reason to devote time to drawing it when he's knows it's going to be done again in six months.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

I think you mean Miura.

are they off that boat yet? :negative:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
did they punch the elf king yet/?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kuvo posted:

They will be once there are no more idolmaster games, ever.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I reckon people see the Murata art (it was definitely those amazing gifs that got me starting to read OPM) and them get hooked by the writing after.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

One thing that I'm not sure if anyone has considered: The last ONE chapter is chapter 99. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he decided he wanted chapter 100 to come out on the day the anime starts airing, to commemorate it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kuvo posted:

No, they are still trying to reach the basement.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

pnumoman posted:

They will be once there are no more idolmaster games, ever.

You know he'll just migrate to Love Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jintor posted:

I reckon people see the Murata art (it was definitely those amazing gifs that got me starting to read OPM) and them get hooked by the writing after.

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!