Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meis
Sep 2, 2011

hi thunderdome. it's been a while! I used to have an anime avatar and got shamed for it, and at one point i drew a nice picture of us hanging out together

i want to write about a wizard too please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

mostly i just want to add to lou's hellmonday :twisted:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Pham Nuwen posted:

I saw a banner ad

WHY DON'T I THINK THINGS THROUGH?!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Thyrork posted:

What a fascinating prompt.

In.

You speak to the trees! And you can shape their wood with the power that flows through your fingers. Keep in mind though, the trees can speak back to you, and they aren't always happy.

You're the wizard of rhetoric, arguments, and deft turns of phrase. Your magic lets you see and manipulate the ebb and flow of any conversation, though people tend to react poorly when you use your power too drastically or obviously.

Lucas Archer posted:

I'll join this thunderdome. Wizard me.

While you don't know how to do the electric slide, you do have the ability to manipulate any sort of electrical current.

The Shortest Path posted:

What a prompt to take my thunderdome virginity. I'm in.

You can manipulate any and all kinds of protein. You haven't even fully explored the extent of all the different things you'll be able to manipulate, since you're unfortunately not a biologist or doctor. This could be awesome, or could go horribly wrong for you.

spectres of autism posted:

in, gently caress me up

You have a broad variety of powers, but you can make them significantly more effective by duplicating yourself. The only issue is, your other selves expire much faster than you. And they're not always happy about that.

Doctor Idle posted:

In, with a :toxx: for not following through on two signups.

You have power over visibility. What is unseeable may be seen with your magic, and what is visible may be made invisible.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I saw a banner ad, and I love wizards, so sure.

In.

You're the wizard of chance. There's a trick to it, you know. To luck magic. You can't try too hard, but you can't just sit back and let luck come to you, either. Your magic plays on the knife edge between fate and chaos, where fortune dances her precarious dance.

Meis posted:

hi thunderdome. it's been a while! I used to have an anime avatar and got shamed for it, and at one point i drew a nice picture of us hanging out together

i want to write about a wizard too please!

You're the wizard of that ol' swamp magic. Fiddles in the bayou, will-o-wisp lights hovering over bogs. You can call dark, beautiful, or terrible things from the mud, loam, and stagnant water

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: it was brought to my attention that I missed Killfast, sorry dude :siren:

Killfast37 posted:

I'm in.

And Lou thanks for reading my story, I'm glad it was as disturbing for you to read as it was for me to write.

You have dominion over attention and perception. You can't make things invisible, but you can direct human perception like a mortal stage magician (although you balk at that comparison). With enough application of your magic, you could make a general neglect to notice an entire invading army.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I:smugwizard:N

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

You fuel your magic by stealing hubris and vanity from heroes and divas, among other things. Anyone who has an overly high estimation of themselves is fodder for the plucking. Careful you don't leave too many empty, broken people in your wake...

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Before throwing my hat into the ring, is a submission of a scan of a typed page a valid entry? I'm a hipster and I refuse to write on a computer.

Proof in case you don't believe me:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Noeland posted:

Before throwing my hat into the ring, is a submission of a scan of a typed page a valid entry? I'm a hipster and I refuse to write on a computer.

But this post isn't a jpeg???

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Like, we're looking at judging a novel-length amount of short fiction this week. Do you really want us to have to squint our tired, crusty, bloodshot eyes at some lovely picture

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
It's totally up to you, your call man, this is TD, land of the free

but imo it's a bad idea

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Sitting Here posted:

It's totally up to you, your call man, this is TD, land of the free

but imo it's a bad idea

I have a scanner.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Noeland posted:

Got bad news for you bud. Your last post appears to be written on a computer.
Then again I was going to write my entry on homemade papyrus with soy based crayons just to piss crabrock and LBM off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Noeland posted:

Relish the opportunity to get a second or third draft by fully retyping it into the computer.

Edit: actually no, I'm going to type mine on a typewriter too and submit it like that :coffeepal:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 22, 2015

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Just realized that the scan software can covert physical documents to digital text. Amazing! I too wish to write of wizardry.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i was going to write my post on a fixed gear bicycle but then i heard james franco already did that so idk i guess i'm SOL

But in all seriousness, we are looking at possibly 60 or more signups this week. If even HALF of those submit, it would still be a fairly busy week, reading-wise. Normally I'm all like "woo free for all" with regard to TD conduct, but in this case, I'm making a request as a judge: please, PLEASE do not make it hard to like your story.

In your case, Noeland, I'm glad you found a middle ground!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

anime was right fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 27, 2015

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I will also like to submit my story via scanned type written pages, in.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

tbh i'm kind of gay for typewriters. I have like 4.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

im not reading handwriting. period.

Do you accept submissions in hieroglyph? It's my primary language.

Wangless Wonder
May 27, 2009
does this mean i can't send you a clay molding of the story i chiseled onto slabs of granite

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

THERE SURE ARE A LOT OF DUMB loving QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD FROM PEOPLE WHO SHOULD PROBABLY BE WORKING ON THEIR lovely ENTRIES

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

cargohills posted:

I would like this.

you know you actually have to submit a story to get a crit....

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?author=cargohills

i'm watching you.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
In. Saw a banner ad, sounds like fun!

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey I remember this Thunderdome thing that was fun I should do it again.

I'm in. Wiz me.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Noeland posted:

Just realized that the scan software can covert physical documents to digital text. Amazing! I too wish to write of wizardry.

You can fold paper into unlikely, incredible things. Some mistakenly call your work origami, but your creations are born from secret patterns of folds and non-euclidean creases.

Jonked posted:

I will also like to submit my story via scanned type written pages, in.

You are not the strongest or flashiest wizard on your own, but you do have one tremendous ace up your billowing sleeve: You can walk through dreams, and take the things you find there back into the waking world.

CrazySalamander posted:

In. Saw a banner ad, sounds like fun!

You can move, shake, and shape stone and earth, and you are well-suited for the pitch black of caverns and catacombs. Your power diminishes considerably when you are in the sun or above ground, far from the comforting whispers of sister Earth.

Meeple posted:

Oh hey I remember this Thunderdome thing that was fun I should do it again.

I'm in. Wiz me.

You are the wizard of hair. With your magic, hair of any kind can become a choking serpent or a net of razor-sharp twine, or anything else your whimsy demands. You can even persuade it to betray the head it grows on.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

crabrock posted:

you know you actually have to submit a story to get a crit....

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?author=cargohills

i'm watching you.

You'll be watching a fully written story (by me) by Sunday crabrock my good friend

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Here is a reading of a Savvy Sara and The Markers by blue squares. I said I'd do this ages ago when he won the brawl, so here it is.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-averis/savvysara

and here's a link to the story: http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/brawls.php?story=275

Gnap!
Apr 1, 2009
Hi this looks like a fun place, what's going on in—

:magical:

please allow me to join these fine magical wizards in wordwizarding some wizard magic all up in here

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Gnap! posted:

Hi this looks like a fun place, what's going on in—

:magical:

please allow me to join these fine magical wizards in wordwizarding some wizard magic all up in here

You have power anywhere there is dust or grit or ash. You can coax dust bunnies out from corners, and if you put your mind to it, you also can make much bigger, scarier things. If it's lighter than sand, you can whip it into whatever shape you desire. Friends with allergies don't visit very often, though.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Alright, what the hell, I'm in for this week's prompt.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

crabrock is going to murder us all in our beds on Saturday and then make a graph about it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

crabrock is going to murder us all in our beds on Saturday and then make a graph about it.

Forewarned is forearmed. I'll just have to post my entry on Saturday. :magical:

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
i don't really have time to do this this week, but gently caress it I'm in and will make time because this is shaping up to be a record-breaking clusterfuck.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I wasn't gonna, I really wasn't gonna, but the Queen's proclamations have been so seductively sweet, I can't resist. In.

And :toxx: because I hate myself: I'm gonna read all of the submissions, and I'm going to have something to say about them. By the end of April (oh god why did I write that part).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This prompt is pretty wizard, so I'm going to write a story this week I guess.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Full disclosure, I stole some of these ideas from IRC chatter, so thanks chat people.

MC Nietzche posted:

Alright, what the hell, I'm in for this week's prompt.

You're a sea-fairing wizard. You are strongest out on the open ocean, where the call of wind and waves is loudest. Your sails will always be full and taut, and should you ever take up surfing, your waves will always be sweet. You can direct the ocean air and water to some extent, but you're always mindful that the seas have minds of their own.

Jagermonster posted:

i don't really have time to do this this week, but gently caress it I'm in and will make time because this is shaping up to be a record-breaking clusterfuck.

You're the bird lord. You can speak to birds, learn secrets from birds, and with a focused application of magic, you can direct the movements of entire flocks. You can blacken the skies with wings.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I wasn't gonna, I really wasn't gonna, but the Queen's proclamations have been so seductively sweet, I can't resist. In.

And :toxx: because I hate myself: I'm gonna read all of the submissions, and I'm going to have something to say about them. By the end of April (oh god why did I write that part).

Your left eye causes anything it sees to wither or decay. Your magic grows when things around you die. You must be very careful if you don't want to bring ruin down on the innocent.

Chairchucker posted:

This prompt is pretty wizard, so I'm going to write a story this week I guess.

You're the wizard of explosions! You can make things explode. You don't always want them to explode, but thems the breaks. You're also a hobbyist carpenter, and you've found that furniture tends to come to life and try to do your bidding after you've built it. Your wizard house is filled with the pitter-patter of little uneven chair legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I was actually thinking of helping out with judging this week but crabrock beat me to it.

I think I can hear the screaming from here

• Locked thread