Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

All the stuff with Ben Urich made me wonder how they could do JJ for Spiderman believably, given that in this decade New Yorkers would post thousands of pictures of Spiderman on the internet every day, taken with cellphone cameras.

Yeah but Spiderman doesn't pose for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

The Sharmat posted:

All the stuff with Ben Urich made me wonder how they could do JJ for Spiderman believably, given that in this decade New Yorkers would post thousands of pictures of Spiderman on the internet every day, taken with cellphone cameras.

They can do that with celebrities, too, but the paparazzi still have careers.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Peter will provide JJJ with pictures of spiderman smoking cigarettes or scratching his balls or vomiting in the gutter.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

*takes picture of self holding a bag of oregano*

"Mr. Jameson I think I got a picture of Spiderman smoking the reefer here!"

"Hot drat now everyone will know how much of a no good hoodlum that Spiderman is!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Sharmat posted:

They had Peter working in IT in the Ultimate Universe.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

bobkatt013 posted:

They had Peter working in IT in the Ultimate Universe.

Yeah, my assumption is that he'll be at the Bugle, but at an incredibly low on the totem pole position. Like, web intern at best, or janitor at worst. JJJ's such a rad character that I'd want him to be around a bit, though I doubt they get J.K. Simmons again to be the best JJJ ever.

Peter also had an interesting relationship with Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe, with Fury basically grooming him to join the Ultimates (Ult U avengers) when he turned 18 and looking out for him here and there. Shield now has nowhere close to the resources it had in the Ult U, heck it wasn't even packing that much heat before it got dissolved in Cap. 2, but it'd be fun to see that dynamic a bit. Ult. Peter also idolized Tony Stark, though if he is in Civil War then I don't know if that will still be a thing.

Anyway, this is me getting off topic. More Daredevil, woo!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Peter will provide more...risque...shots of Spider-Man than others can manage.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

He hears Fisk's a murderous crime boss, immediately shoots him in the face with a laser gun.

"Was that so hard?"

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

zoux posted:

I wanna see crossovers.

Yeah, now in 2016 we'll have Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Daredevil season 2, with A.K.A Jessica Jones already out there as well. I'll be really interested to see how (and how much) the other three shows inform Daredevil's second season and how they maintain interconnectedness of the 4 shows while also affording each show its own autonomy.

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage seem particularly tricky in this regard, but I'm certainly hyped to see how they play it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

BrianWilly posted:

Peter will provide more...risque...shots of Spider-Man than others can manage.

Spider-man's been sending Daredevil dick pics for months, can't figure out why he hasn't responded.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'd legitimately love to see that, even if it would be a criminal waste of D'Onofrio.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the white suit is here :allears:

Goddamn this show was good, can't wait for the ill intent next season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Modus Operandi posted:

Even if the old Chinese woman gave him the criminal underworld equivalent of a booster seat at the adult's table his social ineptness is still pretty incongruent with his relative accomplishments. His behavior is that of a person who has a severe mental handicap the acting is a bit over the top in some ways.

Have you ever heard of the words shy or introverted?

Modus Operandi posted:

Karen is actually fairly reprehensible in many ways.

Some people are keen on giving her a pass for various reasons but she insists on crusading while involuntarily risking the lives of others. Wasn't the whole reason that old hispanic lady got murdered because she convinced her to not take the payout on principle? I think Foggy was in on that one too.

What kind of person would she be if she told he old lady to just leave her rightful apartment?
The whole point of the first half is to show that Karen and Foggy can't go around beating up the bad guys, but that they defend the innocent in a different way.
The old lady dying doesn't make Karen a bad person, it makes the landlord even more evil.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't know what kind of idiot you have to be to come to the conclusion that someone is "reprehensible" for advocating that someone else keep what they're legally entitled to

like, you'd have to be a real fuckin' dummy to think that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Her tricking Ben into going to see Mama Fisk was pretty darn bad though.

"Hmm, this guy keeps rambling about his dying wife, how annoying. Oh, I've got it! I'll use that to trick him into helping me and possibly endangering himself."

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Oasx posted:

Have you ever heard of the words shy or introverted?

THere's a difference between shy and enunciating words in a way that sounds like an urban sling blade.

quote:

What kind of person would she be if she told he old lady to just leave her rightful apartment?
The whole point of the first half is to show that Karen and Foggy can't go around beating up the bad guys, but that they defend the innocent in a different way.
The old lady dying doesn't make Karen a bad person, it makes the landlord even more evil.

They sure did defend her alright. Right up to the death. Her death. Crusading and getting others killed is called being a sociopath

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Toxxupation posted:

I don't know what kind of idiot you have to be to come to the conclusion that someone is "reprehensible" for advocating that someone else keep what they're legally entitled to

like, you'd have to be a real fuckin' dummy to think that

Except they knew exactly the type of person they were dealing with and they told her to stand on principle without a single thought to the consequences. I knew she was dead the second she declared she was going to organize the other tenants and Matt knew it was going to end badly as well, he said as much. They threw her to the wolves and didn't even have the decency to even consider her safety.

Karen is scared and feels powerless, and is determined to do whatever it takes to fix that. Which is fine, right up until the point where she's putting innocent people in the path of a murderous psychopath without any consideration for their safety or even bothering to tell them she's doing it.

But no, you're right, what kind of idiot wouldn't want to die for their rent-controlled apartment.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Modus Operandi posted:

Karen is actually fairly reprehensible in many ways.

Some people are keen on giving her a pass for various reasons but she insists on crusading while involuntarily risking the lives of others. Wasn't the whole reason that old hispanic lady got murdered because she convinced her to not take the payout on principle? I think Foggy was in on that one too.

The old woman WANTED to stay in her apartment before Foggy and Karen came along. After she does, Foggy is drunk in a bar when Karen finds him, and breaks down crying because said he should have convinced her to take the payout.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

10 Beers posted:

The old woman WANTED to stay in her apartment before Foggy and Karen came along. After she does, Foggy is drunk in a bar when Karen finds him, and breaks down crying because said he should have convinced her to take the payout.

Yes, she initially insisted in the beginning but the old woman visited them in their office and told them they doubled the offer. She was thinking about it before Karen and Foggy convince her otherwise. They put their need to feel good in front of her need to breathe air.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really really liked Leland Owlsley. He was so sick of everyone's poo poo in every scene, it was amazing. Stick was awesome for similar reasons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AnonSpore posted:

I really really liked Leland Owlsley. He was so sick of everyone's poo poo in every scene, it was amazing. Stick was awesome for similar reasons.

You hire Bob Gunton you know what you're getting, and it's going to be good.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Modus Operandi posted:

Yes, she initially insisted in the beginning but the old woman visited them in their office and told them they doubled the offer. She was thinking about it before Karen and Foggy convince her otherwise. They put their need to feel good in front of her need to breathe air.

They made a huge loving mistake. Arrogant and stupid? Sure. Not sociopathic villains. (The obvious and genuine grief afterwords also puts paid to them being sociopaths)

They made several bad decisions and underestimated the badguys massively. It's kind of weird to write them off as the badguys because of that, honestly.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ShineDog posted:

They made a huge loving mistake. Arrogant and stupid? Sure. Not sociopathic villains. (The obvious and genuine grief afterwords also puts paid to them being sociopaths)

They made several bad decisions and underestimated the badguys massively. It's kind of weird to write them off as the badguys because of that, honestly.

Foggy was the one drinking himself stupid in a bar, but Karen, who was the one who was all "no we CAN'T LET HER LEAVE!" was not. Arrogant and Stupid instead of sociopathic, maybe, but Karen shares the aspect of Fisk where you put her in an emotional situation, and gently caress everybody else she's gonna shoot you in the chest or you're going to stay in your apartment the way she thinks is right, and drat the consequences because somebody has to take action for what Karen Paige feels is the right thing to do.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The only thing Karen did that I thought was really reprehensible was tricking Ben into visiting Fisk's mom with her, but man that was a really dick move and her apology for it really did not suffice.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Karen's tragic flaw was that she was dangerously naive. In effect, she acted like she knew she was in a comic book and therefore took steps that, in that situation, would have brought about a happy outcome. Daredevil used her as a way to effectively distance itself from common comic book and comic book movie stereotypes and point out that that line of thought is not only flawed but dangerous. It got two innocent people (and one not-so-innocent person) killed and, if they continue Karen's character trajectory into subsequent shows, will probably lead to her ultimate downfall.

EDIT: VVV Mrs. Cardenas' continued refusal to accept the buy-out money highlighted her association with Matt, Foggy, and Karen and effectively put a bullseye (but not Bullseye) on her back. VVV

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 22, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old apartment lady gets killed to lure Matt, nothing to do with the building buyout.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ShineDog posted:

Doing it once..yeah I can see that happening and it's certainly excusable as just stupid negligence. Doing it twice and loving two people up severely is selfish.

Speaking of which did Ben's wife survive? I don't remember if she passed away in that hospital near the end. If not she completely hosed 3 people.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Modus Operandi posted:

Speaking of which did Ben's wife survive? I don't remember if she passed away in that hospital near the end. If not she completely hosed 3 people.

Not only did she survive, they made a point of saying that Ben's insurance policy made sure she'd be well taken care of for the rest of her life.

EDIT: Possibly at Saint Benezet, if you want to get ironic about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What disease did she have anyway? Lupus Alzheimer's?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

zoux posted:

Alien-fight illness/illegal chemical poo poo is what I thought was implied or that Ben said in the one conversation where him and Karen are talking about his first story or whatever, she was the one the story was about. But yeah, it's pretty hammy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

She had a serious case of T.V. Sympathitis.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

The same thing Peggy had in Cap 2!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get why they did the Ben's wife subplot but it was mega perfunctory and blehh.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
They really could have mixed it up a bit and made her a cripple or something instead of plot dementia. Maybe a quad amputee and the only way for him to visit her is if she gets rolled out of her closet on a platform with wheels on it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Daredevil was clearly a sociopat, think of all the innocent people the bad guys killed because of him, he practically murdered them himself! He should just have stayed home and let the criminals go about their business.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

Even if the old Chinese woman gave him the criminal underworld equivalent of a booster seat at the adult's table his social ineptness is still pretty incongruent with his relative accomplishments. His behavior is that of a person who has a severe mental handicap the acting is a bit over the top in some ways.

Capone was not the smartest guy but everything I read about him said that he had above average social skills and was very crafty at manipulating people. Not quite the halfwit you paint him out to be. Social skills and intellect don't always go hand in hand obviously.

I guess I was thinking about him during his stay in prison and afterwards, but you're right.

Anyway, goddamn it. Steven DeKnight is the best and its a shame he's not coming back.

EDIT: I hate goons. Goddamn it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Punisher & Black Widow movie, with DeKnight. Chuck in Taskmaster and some Leviathan mooks. Got yourself an actiony good time..

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 22, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is all I want out of season 2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As much as I love Fisk, I hope that he's basically not in season 2 at all. That way Season 3 can open with "Previously and Daredevil" and show a supercut of Fisk starting at his cell wall every day for an entire year before his escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ I doubt it. They might have him in jail pulling the strings as they mentioned Elektra and Bullseye for season 2

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is all I want out of season 2

That would be like season 5 or 6. Season 2 Elektra, 3 Born again 4 Bendis run 5 Bru run 6 Waids.