Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I managed to kill people just by ragdolling into people. Or knocked them out. Whatever, they dropped their cash, they're basically dead.
If you ragdoll onto people sitting down you insta-kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Evilreaver posted:

I dunno about CoJ, but in MGS3 there's a longass ladder that you climb and it's seriously 50 stories tall and there's a song playing while you climb. Or, if you hang out on the bottom rung until the song is over, the ladder is only 10 feet tall.

Oh my god. :psyduck: I had no idea.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Mokinokaro posted:

Stephen Ogg adlibbed a lot of Trevor apparently. He was just able to come up with better stuff than what was in the script.

If you've seen some of his TV appearances Trevor is right up his alley in terms of characters he usually plays.

Hell he was on Better Call Saul as a character you could see as a bit more stable Mr. Philips.

You can also see him on Broad City as an appropriately creepy locksmith.

"You don't need any credentials to be a locksmith, you just have to want it."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

You can also see him on Broad City as an appropriately creepy locksmith.

"You don't need any credentials to be a locksmith, you just have to want it."

Even better he's got the mustache and wifebeater on. No greasy balding mullet that I recall though.

E: oh hey YouTube. I remembered wrong, he's basically in full on Trevor.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PPW_lwU_Hwc

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Apr 22, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Not so long as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is around.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance isn't a metal gear solid game, bitchnerd

Chard posted:

It is the best MGS song and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

https://soundcloud.com/beeeeees/dirty-snake

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LoonShia posted:

Nice to see that Portable Ops produced at least one good thing.

Yeah, I haven't actually played PO but that's one of my favorite tracks in the series.

On a related note, the pretty great rhythm roguelike Crypt of the Necrodancer which comes out of Early Access tomorrow has the shopkeeper on each level "singing" to the background music. Not only is it a funny touch, but it can actually help you pinpoint the location of their store as their singing gets louder as you get closer to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6paOj0agDI

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Mokinokaro posted:

Stephen Ogg adlibbed a lot of Trevor apparently. He was just able to come up with better stuff than what was in the script.

If you've seen some of his TV appearances Trevor is right up his alley in terms of characters he usually plays.

Stephen Ogg pretty much is Trevor as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMuJbn_OhA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The way he storms up to the camera in the same way Trevor walks is what completes this for me :allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jay 2K Winger posted:

They did a pretty good job with them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

If I can't make Michael look like Suspenders McStache there on the left then Rockstar have failed in their job. :colbert: (dammit now I have to go check :argh:)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

More GTAV (Online at least, not sure if this happens in single player): If you're listening to the radio in your car, even if you're blasting along at full speed, sometimes your character bops his head along to the music.

The best part? I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but it seems like your dude grooves differently to different tunes. It was different between Bob Seger and Snoop Dogg, anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know Franklin does it when you listen to West Coast Classics and Trevor does when you listen to Channel X. I'd assume Michael does it to LS Rock Radio.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The blood in Bloodborne is seriously so great. It gets everywhere, enemies, the environment, all over you, but my favorite thing so far is it actually has gameplay consequences too. I found out I had to stop killing one guy so hard the scythe guy right before Vicar Amelia because his blood would splatter on and wake up another guy who I totally didn't want to fight. That's some crazy attention to blood detail. :allears:

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
There's also a gesture that exists to shake blood off your big dorky cape so you can make room for more blood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I know Franklin does it when you listen to West Coast Classics and Trevor does when you listen to Channel X. I'd assume Michael does it to LS Rock Radio.

i am definitely the Michael out of the three.

Though I usually play as Trevor.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

Not so long as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is around.

Tangentially related, one thing I love about MGR is that Free Dominguez, the singer of the industrial band Kidneythieves, does the vocals for Mistral's boss fight in MGR and also did the voice of pop star/AI crimefighter MG Resonance in Deus Ex: Invisible War. Intentional or no I love that they picked the one singer with a history in weird transhumanist cyperpunk games with music whose lyrics explain the themes of the game to do the music for a game all about weird transhumanist cyborgs where the music has lyrics who explain the themes of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvgvsI5jAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Fwb8OrvSw

Goddanm, I knew I recognized her voice from somewhere. I didn't expect it to be from one of my favorite bands. My BFF even played cello on stage with her on their DC stop and I still didnt catch it.

In my defense I marathoned all of MGR over two days, and also RULES OF NATURE, but still, I just love her even more for this.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Contrecoup posted:

There's also a gesture that exists to shake blood off your big dorky cape so you can make room for more blood.

Wow, had no idea that would actually do anything. That's neat.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This is dumb but in Hitman Blood Money if you have your gun out but haven't triggered an alert when 47 is near another character he will shift his gun behind him slightly to hide it. It's just a nice touch/animation and I still remember it years after because when I saw it I was like "oh somebody gave a poo poo about this game a little bit."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadow of Mordor: I overheard some orcs talking, I think it was something about tricking humans out of hiding, and they were trying to impersonate talking like a human :allears:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Leal posted:

Shadow of Mordor: I overheard some orcs talking, I think it was something about tricking humans out of hiding, and they were trying to impersonate talking like a human :allears:

The enemy chatter in that game was so good. One of my favorite conversations went something like:

":orks:: I heard the Gravewalker killed a captain the other day. Chopped his head right off!"

":orks101:: If someone chopped my head off, I'd just keep fighting. Don't need a head to fight."

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Speaking of which that was a little touch I loved in the Thief series; all of the conversations between NPCs

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Years ago, while playing Halo 2, I thought I heard one of the Covenant try and trick me into coming out of hiding by telling me he had a banana. I actually only remembered this recently, and thought it might be something I made up.

Nope!

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Sangheili/Quotes

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rickycat posted:

Speaking of which that was a little touch I loved in the Thief series; all of the conversations between NPCs

For old school, No One Lives Forever has some great ones, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The enemy chatter in that game was so good. One of my favorite conversations went something like:

":orks:: I heard the Gravewalker killed a captain the other day. Chopped his head right off!"

":orks101:: If someone chopped my head off, I'd just keep fighting. Don't need a head to fight."

Seconds later: Orc 2's hypothesis is disproven.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Seconds later: Orc 2's hypothesis is disproven.

I did have a good :owned: moment where an orc was musing to himself about how I'll need to be more sly because he wont be snuck up on, he'll be extremely vigilant. But before finishing his sentence I snuck up behind him and killed him :haw:

The orc dialogue is pretty great, the cannon fodder in this game have better character then a lot of characters in other games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In MKX Cassie Cage has a unique fatality where she obliterates her opponents jaw then takes a selfie, the scrolling comments is quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqgcxtMGKI

A fair warning, for a game full of over the top deaths, I find this one slightly unnerving, I think its the whole "wait they're still alive thing". :stonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alteisen posted:

In MKX Cassie Cage has a unique fatality where she obliterates her opponents jaw then takes a selfie, the scrolling comments is quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqgcxtMGKI

A fair warning, for a game full of over the top deaths, I find this one slightly unnerving, I think its the whole "wait they're still alive thing". :stonk:

"Goro!" :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of fighting games, one character in Dead or Alive 5 is a clone of another character. If you choose them both in tag team mode, they do their opening and closing cutscenes as mirror images of each other.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I like how at the end of GTAV you can shoot Trevor and Michael's basically like "eh what can you do" and he and Franklin stroll off into the sunset.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another funny GTA V thing is how Trevor has a side mission set where he hangs out with some civilian border patrol assholes who want to deport Mexicans not realizing that Trevor is an illegal immigrant himself (he's from Canada.)

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Well...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if it's really a little thing but I find it amazing that a crossover as obscure as Pokémon Conquest actually got translated and as a fan of Mother, Fire Emblem and Square-Enix games I'm used to getting screwed on that front, so it was nice to not be for a change.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know if it's really a little thing but I find it amazing that a crossover as obscure as Pokémon Conquest actually got translated and as a fan of Mother, Fire Emblem and Square-Enix games I'm used to getting screwed on that front, so it was nice to not be for a change.

It has pokemon in the title, they knew they'd get their money back. A bit odd that the EU version only came out in the UK though.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It has pokemon in the title, they knew they'd get their money back. A bit odd that the EU version only came out in the UK though.

Australia too, unless my local EB Games suddenly started importing poo poo behind my back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKretin posted:

Australia too, unless my local EB Games suddenly started importing poo poo behind my back.

Half the stuff we get is UK stock. Take a look at some of your game discs amd carts sometime.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

It's not too unusual. Judging by the packaging, most of the amiibos sold at the (Australian) EB Games I visit are imported from Japan.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Speaking of fighting games, one character in Dead or Alive 5 is a clone of another character. If you choose them both in tag team mode, they do their opening and closing cutscenes as mirror images of each other.

There's actually 2 Kasumi clones but I think the poses only happen with Alpha-52 and Kasumi.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Anatharon posted:

I like how at the end of GTAV you can shoot Trevor and Michael's basically like "eh what can you do" and he and Franklin stroll off into the sunset.

SPOILERS FOR GTA5 ENDING:

When you get to that, the prompt changes to Put Trevor Down. I thought that was a fantastic little touch.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Shawn Fonteno, Franklin, is the real life cousin of the guy who voiced CJ in SA.
Also Fonteno is in SA too. Has voice parts in SA as a grove street gangbanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Australia actually got it way earlier than Europe for once.