Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

As much as I love Fisk, I hope that he's basically not in season 2 at all. That way Season 3 can open with "Previously and Daredevil" and show a supercut of Fisk starting at his cell wall every day for an entire year before his escape.

Ha ha ha....ah, 'escape'. He's walking straight out of that cell, you know that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Ha ha ha....ah, 'escape'. He's walking straight out of that cell, you know that right?

Well yeah, I was just using a general term for escaping justice in general, because it's hard to know what direction they are going to go yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

Well yeah, I was just using a general term for escaping justice in general, because it's hard to know what direction they are going to go yet.

He is the Kingpin of crime. He is going to get someone to take the blame for it as he is just an innocent man who was trying to save the neighborhood.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

He is the Kingpin of crime. He is going to get someone to take the blame for it as he is just an innocent man who was trying to save the neighborhood.

Maybe he'll pin it all on Wesley.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

Maybe he'll pin it all on Wesley.

Or Leland Owlsley

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Or Leland Owlsley

This would give Leland Jr. a reason to come to New York and start poking around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm trying to think, are there any canon supervillain lawyers? Like either just lawyers that cater to the spandex crowd, or like crooked lawyer by day, masked murdered by night? I can think of a few MDs and shrinks, but not any lawyers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

I'm trying to think, are there any canon supervillain lawyers? Like either just lawyers that cater to the spandex crowd, or like crooked lawyer by day, masked murdered by night? I can think of a few MDs and shrinks, but not any lawyers.

Beetle.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Supervillains don't seem to go through due process.

Spiderman betas them up, leaves them for the police, next thing they are breaking out of Rikers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Getting apprehended by a vigilante is actually a pretty good argument to dismiss a case.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Two-Face, though I think he's out of practice.

In the Spider-Gwen universe, Murdock is actually Kingpin's lawyer.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gaz-L posted:

Two-Face is the obvious example, though they mighta disbarred Harv after the 20th time he did something really terrible and killed dozen of innocent people I'm sure that if he actually had to he could still present a case.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jean Loring.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Kurtofan posted:

Jean Loring.

Is that the eclipso Lady?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

just_a_guy posted:

Is that the eclipso Lady?

Yup.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

That would be like season 5 or 6. Season 2 Elektra, 3 Born again 4 Bendis run 5 Bru run 6 Waids.
Going to say while I like Waid's run, it isn't actually "great". He just broke the trend and livened things up with a lighter take, giving some breathing room before we go back to Grim and Dark stuff. Can't really remember a great storyline. TV wise it wouldn't fit themes and mood of the show, which is fine for a comic book run or film series...is really, really bad for a tv series.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 22, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Some goons in this thread have a really weird idea of what constitutes "selfish" behavior.

zoux posted:

Getting apprehended by a vigilante is actually a pretty good argument to dismiss a case.

They did this in the Venture Bros. once. Monarch had the poo poo beaten out of him by Captain Sunshine, who proceeded to fly off and dump him in a nearby prison yard. Of course the Monarch was immediately released because what the hell you can't arrest someone for being beaten up by a super hero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Some goons in this thread have a really weird idea of what constitutes "selfish" behavior.

They did this in the Venture Bros. once. Monarch had the poo poo beaten out of him by Captain Sunshine, who proceeded to fly off and dump him in a nearby prison yard. Of course the Monarch was immediately released because what the hell you can't arrest someone for being beaten up by a super hero.

There's a recent issue of Nova where the eponymous hero does something similar. He beat up Carnage and dropped him at the prison gates, and one of the guards was happy he hung around, so he could explain that they don't take deliveries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

There's a recent issue of Nova where the eponymous hero does something similar. He beat up Carnage and dropped him at the prison gates, and one of the guards was happy he hung around, so he could explain that they don't take deliveries.

And he resolves that by just leaving and making them deal with Carnage anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

Going to say while I like Waid's run, it isn't actually "great". He just broke the trend and livened things up with a lighter take, giving some breathing room before we go back to Grim and Dark stuff. Can't really remember a great storyline. TV wise it wouldn't fit themes and mood of the show, which is fine for a comic book run or film series...is really, really bad for a tv series.

There is the whole poo poo with Bullseye

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

And he resolves that by just leaving and making them deal with Carnage anyway.

He may be super but are you sure this guy is a hero?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Who does she beat in court? It was either She-Hulk or Matt, I think it was She-Hulk. It was pretty cool.

For those who don't know Beetle is Tombstone's daughter (another crime lord type character) who didn't want her to be a supervillian like pops so she ended up lawyering for a while.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought the Beetle was a dude in a suit, like Iron Man?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Sharmat posted:

That's Blue Beetle, a DC comics character.

edit: or not

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Sharmat posted:

Old Beetle was, this is a new Beetle. She defends Baron Zemo in court and asks if she can be the new Beetle and he is like "yeah sure"

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Waid's run was what got me into reading Daredevil in the first place though, so it is important - without it, a summary of Daredevil reads like just a bit ridiculously excessive endless spiral of death and depression and everything and everyone that Matt cares about dying or worse. You're right that some of the Waid stories would be pretty inappropriate for the TV Daredevil, but if this sticks around for a few seasons, I don't think that letting some of the lighter elements/stories drip in a bit occasionally so the excessive grittiness doesn't get tiring would be good.

I just hope that killing Ben was enough for them to let Karen live instead, because it'll be irritating to have a great female character around that's just a ticking time bomb till she gets fridged.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mr.capps posted:

Old Beetle was, this is a new Beetle. She defends Baron Zemo in court and asks if she can be the new Beetle and he is like "yeah sure"

Yeah, because OG Beetle switched sides and is an occasional hero under the name MACH (insert Roman numeral here depending on which version of the suit), in a less bug-themed suit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I just hope that killing Ben was enough for them to let Karen live instead, because it'll be irritating to have a great female character around that's just a ticking time bomb till she gets fridged.

Oh do not worry she still gets to Sell Matt's identity for some heroin. then the fridging.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

Do you really have to ask? I don't think most super heroes/villains aggressively defend their trademarks or intellectual property. Except for the Mandarin in that one short.

This kind of confusion is what I get for not reading any comics since the mid 90's. Almost none of the names are attached to the same people anymore.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've looked up some Daredevil villains and found one called Typhoid Mary, from her wikipedia page:

quote:

She is also truly and gravely mentally ill.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I've looked up some Daredevil villains and found one called Typhoid Mary, from her wikipedia page:

Well she has three personalities. One is nice, the other sort of crazy, and the third is holy gently caress batshit insne.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mr.capps posted:

Who does she beat in court? It was either She-Hulk or Matt, I think it was She-Hulk. It was pretty cool.

For those who don't know Beetle is Tombstone's daughter (another crime lord type character) who didn't want her to be a supervillian like pops so she ended up lawyering for a while.

She beat Matt in court by arranging for a supervillain attack right outside the courtroom, knowing that his super-hearing would pick it up and force him to leave in the middle of the trial.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh do not worry she still gets to Sell Matt's identity for some heroin. then the fridging.

I wouldn't be shocked if they have plans for Karen besides that. The fact that it looked like they were about to fridge Vanessa, only to juke into Wesley getting gunned down by Karen, tells me they see a little more potential in the female characters than most comic book writers.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Waid's run was what got me into reading Daredevil in the first place though, so it is important - without it, a summary of Daredevil reads like just a bit ridiculously excessive endless spiral of death and depression and everything and everyone that Matt cares about dying or worse. You're right that some of the Waid stories would be pretty inappropriate for the TV Daredevil, but if this sticks around for a few seasons, I don't think that letting some of the lighter elements/stories drip in a bit occasionally so the excessive grittiness doesn't get tiring would be good.

I'm not saying it isn't good (I have nearly every issue he did) or even necessary, just that it isn't an iconic run or whatever and isn't appropriate for this type of series as an entire season of material even in it's grounded stories.

But yeah as something that comes in during subplots or B stories, it would be cool to lighten things up and not become self serious to the point of parody

bobkatt013 posted:

There is the whole poo poo with Bullseye

.Okay yeah, that was legit amazing stuff. I really wish I hadn't misplaced those issues.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Do we have to Spoiler tag this?

It's kinda funny I hope SOME variant of that happens but she isn't iced at the end. It leads to a lot better story material, because holy poo poo a lot of comic runs tease that poo poo but never ever do it and that is going to change a relationship permanently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they have plans for Karen besides that. The fact that it looked like they were about to fridge Vanessa, only to juke into Wesley getting gunned down by Karen, tells me they see a little more potential in the female characters than most comic book writers.

The guy that did that wasn't even a comic book writer!

Well the second part, not the first part.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So Iron Fist is actually a relatively average white guy that gets accidentally caught up in some kind of crazy mystical Kung Fu war? Is Ironfist going to be Big Trouble in Little China: The Television Series?

Because I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

So Iron Fist is actually a relatively average white guy that gets accidentally caught up in some kind of crazy mystical Kung Fu war? Is Ironfist going to be Big Trouble in Little China: The Television Series?

This would be the best tone to take honestly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Frank Miller has a very special view of women.