Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Don't embark in range of a tower and you'll never get undead sieges. Just check the neighbors screen before embarking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can also set the number of Secrets to 0 in the advanced worldgen menu.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Node posted:

Also, I'm getting lots and lots of Dwarf cancels Eat: Item Inaccessible. I looked at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarf_cancels_Store_Item:_Item_inaccessible and I don't have any of these things. No burrows, no forbidden areas, no locked doors. I have a seeds stockpile, a foods stockpile that doesn't have seeds or prepared meals, and two stockpiles around the fortress that store prepared foods only. What can cause this? The only thing the page says is the food might be underwater. If so, it has been for months. None of my dwarves have drowned. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Is it a bunch of dwarfs, or just one or two? If it is the same dwarf over and over, it is possible that the dwarf is stuck. Miners and construction workers are especially prone to getting themselves stuck. The stuck guy will keep spamming cancellations until he starves to death.

If that isn't it, you can go to the stocks screen and forbid all the categories that could be food. Then immediately go to your stockpiles and food processing areas and use d - b - c to reclaim the items that you know are definitely accessible. This may leave some accessible but out of place items forbidden, but should stop the spam.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I would get that all the time if there was an open path down to the cavern layers and there's some free food item or other stockpile-eligible item, also for hunting and fishing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish caravans would come in from the caverns. I've seen them leave through the caverns but never arrive.

With the underground dwarf roads that should be a thing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Last time I played this was about two years ago. I remember draining a pond to the underground so I could grow crops, leashing a dog out front and proceeding to mine a simple fortress until the game lagged too bad (I have a pretty decent computer).

Has it changed a lot since then? Any good LP to check out in the last ~2 years?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You came in halfway between 34.11 and the major version 40 update. We're now at version 40.24, watching the next major update take shape.

If anything, this version is even more processor-intensive. :( We've got 3D trees now, at least.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Angela Christine posted:

Is it a bunch of dwarfs, or just one or two? If it is the same dwarf over and over, it is possible that the dwarf is stuck. Miners and construction workers are especially prone to getting themselves stuck. The stuck guy will keep spamming cancellations until he starves to death.

If that isn't it, you can go to the stocks screen and forbid all the categories that could be food. Then immediately go to your stockpiles and food processing areas and use d - b - c to reclaim the items that you know are definitely accessible. This may leave some accessible but out of place items forbidden, but should stop the spam.

Its all the dwarves. That's a really clever idea though, I'll try that.

e: Ok, after doing it and reclaiming it that way, nothing visible is remaining forbidden. However, there is an oddity: there is a stack of potato plants, muck roots, and one prepared meal that is showing as forbidden in the normal stocks screen. But when I searched for "potato plant," or "muck root," or "prepared" in the detailed stock screen, nothing shows up as forbidden. So they exist, but they don't. I have no idea what that means.

We'll see if that was the problem.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

goodness posted:

Last time I played this was about two years ago. I remember draining a pond to the underground so I could grow crops, leashing a dog out front and proceeding to mine a simple fortress until the game lagged too bad (I have a pretty decent computer).

Has it changed a lot since then? Any good LP to check out in the last ~2 years?

You kind of mimicked my break too.

There is more expansive dialogue stuff in adventure mode. Characters now say stuff during combat. :iit:
As mentioned earlier, trees are multi-level now, and can be climbed. Leaves fall from trees, and wreck your framerate.

Maybe that's about it?

Toady's working on randomly generated traditional dances and poems, and also on having permanent non-dwarf characters take residence in your fort?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

You kind of mimicked my break too.

There is more expansive dialogue stuff in adventure mode. Characters now say stuff during combat. :iit:
As mentioned earlier, trees are multi-level now, and can be climbed. Leaves fall from trees, and wreck your framerate.

Maybe that's about it?

Toady's working on randomly generated traditional dances and poems, and also on having permanent non-dwarf characters take residence in your fort?

Is there a way to play it and not suffer crippling lag?

I remember there was some sort of huge mod system last time I looked into it. And I played it for about a day with a companion 2d visual generator.

goodness fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 22, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Its all the dwarves. That's a really clever idea though, I'll try that.

e: Ok, after doing it and reclaiming it that way, nothing visible is remaining forbidden. However, there is an oddity: there is a stack of potato plants, muck roots, and one prepared meal that is showing as forbidden in the normal stocks screen. But when I searched for "potato plant," or "muck root," or "prepared" in the detailed stock screen, nothing shows up as forbidden. So they exist, but they don't. I have no idea what that means.

We'll see if that was the problem.

Didn't work unfortunately. Still getting Cancels Eat: Item Inaccessible every once in a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

goodness posted:

You can turn off some of the processor-intensive elements that do almost nothing, but the more recent ones don't have that option. Also run a smaller fort (in embark layout and in population), don't raise animals and if you do raise them in cages except a single breeding pair, etc. There's a page on FPS optimization on the wiki.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
So I got a notification that a trading caravan + diplomat had arrived, but when I went to look for the caravan, I couldn't find it. I never got a notification that they were leaving. Oddly enough, in the dead units screen, there was the entry "Wagon: Missing"

And I just now saw in my depot a neat, 1 tile stack of assorted trade goods, plus some "wagon wood" logs.

Does anyone know what happened here or is my fort just slipping into the Twilight Zone?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've had issues with caravans seeing my piles of the dead and rotting and deciding to scuttle their wagons and flee. That might be what you experienced, too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

... I can't help but wonder if it's the wagons themselves that panic and fall apart.

Anyone willing to test this hypothesis can try modifying their creature_equipment.txt like this.

code:
creature_equipment

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:EQUIPMENT_WAGON]
	[DESCRIPTION:A rolling platform for carrying passengers or cargo.]
	[NAME:wagon:wagons:wagon]
	[CASTE_NAME:wagon:wagons:wagon]
	[CREATURE_TILE:'W'][COLOR:6:0:0]
	[EQUIPMENT_WAGON][COMMON_DOMESTIC]
	[NOT_BUTCHERABLE][NOFEAR][NOEMOTION]
	[BODY:WAGON]
	[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]

Wagons-as-creatures is most likely going to be replaced 
	once moving siege engines are in, so we'll just use a 
	generic "wood" material here instead of worrying about coding up race glosses again.

[TISSUE:WOOD]
		[TISSUE_NAME:wood:wooden]
		[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD]
	[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:WOOD]
	[ITEMCORPSE:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD]
	[BODY_SIZE:0:0:12000]
	[ALL_ACTIVE]
	[TRADE_CAPACITY:15000]
	[MUNDANE]
	[ODOR_LEVEL:0]
Given the other ways this version has been behaving, I wouldn't be loving surprised.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Node posted:

Didn't work unfortunately. Still getting Cancels Eat: Item Inaccessible every once in a while.

Use DFhack to delete that poo poo through the stocks menu and see if that works. If you can't locate the specific one just delete the entire stack of muck roots or whatever (make sure you have some other type of food stored so you don't delete all the food at once).

goodness posted:

I remember there was some sort of huge mod system last time I looked into it. And I played it for about a day with a companion 2d visual generator.

There's Masterwork which cuts out a bunch of superfluous stuff, it's gotten a reboot and will work if all you want is to eliminate 100 types of leather and stuff like that (make sure you turn off all the extra options though).

In general though, avoid biomes with lots of plant life (tundras are good), use 2x2 embarks or smaller, use small world size or smaller, cage extra animals to save on pathfinding calculations.

I've noticed that my FPS always dips when I get above 70 dwarves or so, so maybe set your population cap at under 100 for a while.

Also a lot of people turn temperature off. I don't know how well that works (probably ~5-10fps if I had to guess) but I never do that because I like things burning and freezing.

Use DFhack constantly to delete random trash items littered on the ground. Don't just let goblinite build up, delete all their extra gear that would otherwise just lie there for 10 years. Similarly keep an eye on food stocks; when I don't pay attention it's common for me to end up with 20,000 cabbages in addition to all the other tens of thousands of food stuffs stockpiled. I just delete the whole drat stack in cases like that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 22, 2015

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

scamtank posted:

... I can't help but wonder if it's the wagons themselves that panic and fall apart.

Anyone willing to test this hypothesis can try modifying their creature_equipment.txt like this.

code:
creature_equipment

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:EQUIPMENT_WAGON]
	[DESCRIPTION:A rolling platform for carrying passengers or cargo.]
	[NAME:wagon:wagons:wagon]
	[CASTE_NAME:wagon:wagons:wagon]
	[CREATURE_TILE:'W'][COLOR:6:0:0]
	[EQUIPMENT_WAGON][COMMON_DOMESTIC]
	[NOT_BUTCHERABLE][NOFEAR][NOEMOTION]
	[BODY:WAGON]
	[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]

Wagons-as-creatures is most likely going to be replaced 
	once moving siege engines are in, so we'll just use a 
	generic "wood" material here instead of worrying about coding up race glosses again.

[TISSUE:WOOD]
		[TISSUE_NAME:wood:wooden]
		[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD]
	[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:WOOD]
	[ITEMCORPSE:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD]
	[BODY_SIZE:0:0:12000]
	[ALL_ACTIVE]
	[TRADE_CAPACITY:15000]
	[MUNDANE]
	[ODOR_LEVEL:0]
Given the other ways this version has been behaving, I wouldn't be loving surprised.

My dwarves once engraved a memorial slab to a wagon that went missing. I kinda wish I hadn't done that, if only so that I could experience the joys of a ghost wagon haunting the fortress :iit:

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

I sure hope that's the case. Any other explanation just sounds boring in comparison now. Anyway, guess it's time to do something with the corpses other than "pile outside the front door".

HappyKitty posted:

My dwarves once engraved a memorial slab to a wagon that went missing. I kinda wish I hadn't done that, if only so that I could experience the joys of a ghost wagon haunting the fortress :iit:

I'll make sure not to have one engraved and let y'all know if anything comes of it.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Welp. Found out what my acrid filth does if you remain in it too long. Both eyes become "mangled beyond all recognition". This is happening to invaders, my own men haven't been out that long so I don't know if that counts as being permanently blind. It should.
I recieved a shipment of iron from the friendly neighborhood necromancer. His workers need to work on their people skills; they got the "knock on the door" part right, but they demanded I sign for it all with bronze spiked balls. That's just rude.

And then the human caravan arrived safely via the channel guided, roofed safe zone. And..never finished unloading before leaving. Goddammit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

I saw a wagon ZOOM past all the other wagons the other month, I figured it was just a really weird glitch (like literally it was at the depot and unpacking before the rest were even finished filing into the map, and then when it was done it was off the map before the others had barely left the depot) but maybe it had something to do with it panicking?

Tenbux McGee posted:

Welp. Found out what my acrid filth does if you remain in it too long. Both eyes become "mangled beyond all recognition". This is happening to invaders, my own men haven't been out that long so I don't know if that counts as being permanently blind. It should.

Byzantine plague

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I saw a wagon ZOOM past all the other wagons the other month, I figured it was just a really weird glitch (like literally it was at the depot and unpacking before the rest were even finished filing into the map, and then when it was done it was off the map before the others had barely left the depot) but maybe it had something to do with it panicking?

Do wagons get hidden preferences and fears? Under normalish conditions (insofar as they can happen in DF) I could see a pack animal loaded with a hated thing not responding all that well to it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I mean, the [EQUIPMENT_WAGON] tag is a big takeoff from any ordinary creature mechanics, but I'm having a hunch that the new feeling mechanics may have slipped in to affect the thing without Toady noticing.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

scamtank posted:

I mean, the [EQUIPMENT_WAGON] tag is a big takeoff from any ordinary creature mechanics, but I'm having a hunch that the new feeling mechanics may have slipped in to affect the thing without Toady noticing.
Possible, but wagons have been spontaneously disassembling themselves into piles of lumber for at least three years.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
There's a project I've been interested in trying for a while now, but I've never figured out whether or not it's possible. I'd like to devote a series of forts to building a massive bridge that spans an ocean between two continents on the world map.

The basic idea would be to start with a very thin, very long embark, build a bridge spanning the map, and then start more forts for every separate piece of bridge. The issue here of course is that unless something changed in the new version, you can't make an embark over region tiles from different world tiles, so there's no way to embark over entirely ocean tiles to connect bridges.

So my big problem now is that I need to figure out a way to create embarkable land near the unfinished end of the bridge for a wagon to start on. I'd like to do this without overtly cheating, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do just in fortress mode (if not someone feel free to let me know), so now I'm looking at adventure mode possibilities.

Are pump stacks and whatnot still usable in adventure mode? If not, is there another way I can get lava from a retired fort to the ocean in adventure mode? I'm assuming it's still impossible to build or deconstruct things.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jothan posted:

There's a project I've been interested in trying for a while now, but I've never figured out whether or not it's possible. I'd like to devote a series of forts to building a massive bridge that spans an ocean between two continents on the world map.

The basic idea would be to start with a very thin, very long embark, build a bridge spanning the map, and then start more forts for every separate piece of bridge. The issue here of course is that unless something changed in the new version, you can't make an embark over region tiles from different world tiles, so there's no way to embark over entirely ocean tiles to connect bridges.

So my big problem now is that I need to figure out a way to create embarkable land near the unfinished end of the bridge for a wagon to start on. I'd like to do this without overtly cheating, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do just in fortress mode (if not someone feel free to let me know), so now I'm looking at adventure mode possibilities.

Are pump stacks and whatnot still usable in adventure mode? If not, is there another way I can get lava from a retired fort to the ocean in adventure mode? I'm assuming it's still impossible to build or deconstruct things.

If you created a wave of magma on the edge of the map and then used DFHack to take control of one of your dwarves and go into adventure mode, then the wave of magma should (I don't know if anyone has tried it) flow out and onto the bordering area and create obsidian as it goes. Or just use the magma tool while in adventure mode and drop magma until the obsidian builds up enough to connect the bridge pieces.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
As more of a personal challenge (or maybe just pride, I guess) I'm trying to use dfhack as little as possible. I can't quite remember but I think I'll still need to use some feature or another to be able to embark over the ocean even with a construction big enough to fit a wagon plus 7.

...speaking of which, would it be possible for me to embark with nothing but a pick and high swimming skills for everyone, end up with a starting point with no land whatsoever, and have them swim down and start mining? I can get the liquid physics to work well enough to get them a cave, but I'm like 90% sure they'll ignore the designations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jothan posted:

As more of a personal challenge (or maybe just pride, I guess) I'm trying to use dfhack as little as possible. I can't quite remember but I think I'll still need to use some feature or another to be able to embark over the ocean even with a construction big enough to fit a wagon plus 7.

...speaking of which, would it be possible for me to embark with nothing but a pick and high swimming skills for everyone, end up with a starting point with no land whatsoever, and have them swim down and start mining? I can get the liquid physics to work well enough to get them a cave, but I'm like 90% sure they'll ignore the designations.

They'll ignore anything that is deeper than 2/7 (or 3/7 I forget).

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

They'll ignore anything that is deeper than 2/7 (or 3/7 I forget).

Yeah, past 3/7 they won't path through it. Real infuriating earlier when I was trying to train swimming, which only works in depths past 3. Related, I tried using minecarts to train and accidentally sent a dwarf on an endless underwater rollercoaster loop that only sped up. Anyway, I was hoping that if they were stuck in deep water with nowhere to go they might prioritize designations rather than escaping.

You know what heck with it I have more questions so I'll just throw them all here and see what sticks- if I drop lava in water in such a way as to form an obsidian block next to another one, will it automatically attach or fall? If it doesn't fall, how could I guarantee at least a 3x3 column? In adventure mode, is there a way to carry lava with me, such as a lavaproof bucket? Is there such a thing as a lavaproof bucket? Would it be enough to generate obsidian? If I have a forgotten beast made of lava, what happens if i grapple it and throw it into the ocean? If I have two are they breedable? Can you fill a minecart with lava? What happens when it's chucked in the ocean? Are whales tameable? Are they war trainable? If an adventurer is covered in water, will he form obsidian when jumping in lava? Is the reverse true? I plan on finding out these things one way or the other but it would be super helpful if anyone knows.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jothan posted:

Yeah, past 3/7 they won't path through it. Real infuriating earlier when I was trying to train swimming, which only works in depths past 3. Related, I tried using minecarts to train and accidentally sent a dwarf on an endless underwater rollercoaster loop that only sped up. Anyway, I was hoping that if they were stuck in deep water with nowhere to go they might prioritize designations rather than escaping.

You know what heck with it I have more questions so I'll just throw them all here and see what sticks- if I drop lava in water in such a way as to form an obsidian block next to another one, will it automatically attach or fall? If it doesn't fall, how could I guarantee at least a 3x3 column? In adventure mode, is there a way to carry lava with me, such as a lavaproof bucket? Is there such a thing as a lavaproof bucket? Would it be enough to generate obsidian? If I have a forgotten beast made of lava, what happens if i grapple it and throw it into the ocean? If I have two are they breedable? Can you fill a minecart with lava? What happens when it's chucked in the ocean? Are whales tameable? Are they war trainable? If an adventurer is covered in water, will he form obsidian when jumping in lava? Is the reverse true? I plan on finding out these things one way or the other but it would be super helpful if anyone knows.

- pretty sure it would fall but not certain

- anything made of iron is lavaproof, and you can make containers out of iron (dunno about buckets). the issue is that the container will heat up and you will burn your hands off. not sure about adventure mode but in dwarf mode your dwarves will just keep injuring themselves trying to carry the super hot iron container. however the workaround is if you put that container inside another container, you can carry it just fine. iirc an iron minecart filled with magma will fit inside another minecart just fine.

- you can fill a minecart with magma. it carries about 3/7 worth of magma iirc. no idea what will happen if it goes into water at that point.

- wiki says whales can't be tamed but that's easily fixed with a raw edit even in an already existing save. it's a bitch trying to cage them though.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

- wiki says whales can't be tamed but that's easily fixed with a raw edit even in an already existing save. it's a bitch trying to cage them though.

Looks like Dwarven Sea World is a go. Time to train Urists swimming and public speaking skills.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
Fourth consecutive caravan to arrive wagon-less and never finish unloading since I used channels to force them to arrive in one place.

I don't mind things like losing six people to a vampire induced zombie crisis at an apartment block, even when it kills my best doctor, the broker/manager/bookeeper, and the armorsmith because that's just the way things work in an evil biome. Getting inexplicably dicked over by random bugs, however, is just infuriating.
Edit: Building the cover all the way to the map edge apparently makes wagons not appear. Shave off the last line and they come. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I bet the fact that pack animals have their feet corroded off by the nasty slush on the ground counts as "being attacked" for the purpose of caravans going nuts.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

scamtank posted:

I bet the fact that pack animals have their feet corroded off by the nasty slush on the ground counts as "being attacked" for the purpose of caravans going nuts.

Nah, there werent any caravan "OHSHIT" piles left behind. I built a ceiling to the map edge to protect them from the acrid filth. If I had to guess, wagons refuse to spawn "indoors", while the non-wagon pack animals don't mind at all. So the wagons never enter the map but do not trigger the "their wagons bypassed your inaccessible site" event, thus the pack animal merchants never finish unloading because they're waiting for the wagons to arrive. Removing the map edge ceiling tiles permits them to spawn "outdoors" so they now appear. :iiam:

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jothan posted:

You know what heck with it I have more questions so I'll just throw them all here and see what sticks- if I drop lava in water in such a way as to form an obsidian block next to another one, will it automatically attach or fall? If it doesn't fall, how could I guarantee at least a 3x3 column?
Build a 3x3 or greater chamber full of floor hatches a couple z-levels above the water, and have it drop all the lava at once.

wait, no, can you support a floor hatch on another floor hatch? Perhaps you could make 1x3 chambers at progressively higher z-levels and have them drop it in sequence.

None of these work for generating some "land" in the next map square though.

Did Toady ever add the ability to build downward?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sadly, one still cannot build downward. I personally cracked and started using dfhack to take care of projects like that.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got a few good ideas on how to attempt this. Some last issues though, since my first attempt is going to depend heavily on pumps, does anyone know if you can manipulate pumps as an adventurer, and what happens if you pump magma into a completely enclosed space as it fills up?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Jothan posted:

Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got a few good ideas on how to attempt this. Some last issues though, since my first attempt is going to depend heavily on pumps, does anyone know if you can manipulate pumps as an adventurer, and what happens if you pump magma into a completely enclosed space as it fills up?

Well, I know that pumps block liquids from going back out, so the magma should stay in the room that you're pumping into.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jothan posted:

I don't know if an adventurer can work pumps but I do know they can pull levers and ride minecarts so it stands to reason they can. If for some reason they can't I there's probably a mod that lets you do it since there's a mod that lets you run workshop reactions as an adventurer.

Just hook the pump to some power and a lever and have your adventurer pull that imo.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Moridin920 posted:

- you can fill a minecart with magma. it carries about 3/7 worth of magma iirc. no idea what will happen if it goes into water at that point.

Gonna have to mess with this. A mine cart shotgun that spews magma and obsidian shards sounds hilariously dwarven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xand_Man posted:

Gonna have to mess with this. A mine cart shotgun that spews magma and obsidian shards sounds hilariously dwarven.

It's pretty fun yeah. Abuse a glitch minecart accelerator to get them to accelerate to relativistic speeds for maximum effectiveness.