Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'll never stop loving Face/Off (I saw it in the theatre and my friends and I still quote it and do that stupid hand on face thing) but I never noticed how much he really does sound like Jimmy Stewart when he's faceless and that'll definitely change every future viewing of that movie for me.

Face/Off is one of those movies I see every few years and pick up on new stuff almost every time. I didn't get the Castor/Pollux thing until I was in university and had seen Face Off like 25 times by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
How did you not notice the diiiiick?!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
So many good opportunities for next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0ss7z184o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjkpap_gMpM

Or, if they disregard the ten-year rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN7xNSNsWGA

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

As it turns out, what Face/Off needed was Jean-Claude Van Damme locking himself in the editing room and trimming all the fat.

When I first discovered you could get such itmes, one of the first things I bought was the workprint for Hard Target that's essentially Woo's cut. Do you like nature shots of animals being hunted? Because that's what you're getting.

It does feature a lot more Lance Henrickson though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

As it turns out, what Face/Off needed was Jean-Claude Van Damme locking himself in the editing room and trimming all the fat.
But then all you'd be left with is Nic Cage and John Travolta's piece!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's me, I'm the guy who has never seen Face Off.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

weekly font posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who has never seen Face Off.
Get out...

and watch that film jesus what are you waiting for?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Or you know, a best of clip show on youtube, because the film is really pretty bloated

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For a movie that's as bloated as Face/off when you step back and look at it on any kind of objective level, it somehow never drags.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm really starting to appreciate that one guy on a lot of comedy podcasts, the one who's not the loudest or the most jokey, but who has a really understated way of just dropping amazing jokes almost off-handedly, to the point that sometimes no-one even notices until a couple of moments later. Eric's definitely that guy on WHM.

Yep, I grew to love Adam on You Look Nice Today for the same reason.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Oh my god I listened to the Taking Care of Business episode at work today and it might be my new favorite. When they were talking about tricking Charles Grodin into yelling "BEETHOVEN" as his dying words, I straight-up lost it.

Cannonball!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I didn't kill THESE prostitutes

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 17, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I didn't kill THESE prostitutes

She was dead when I got here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally listened to the Blame it On Rio episode.

Michael Caine, nooooo!

Now I just have to watch the actual movie :suicide:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sometimes I find it pretty hard to follow the show if I haven't seen the movie before. They go on some many, funny tangents and skip a lot of of the boring parts of the film that it can be hard to understand what exactly is happening.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

precision posted:

As they advise with most movies they review: Don't.

Exception: Face/Off.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

precision posted:

I seen in was on tv not long ago so out of morbid curiously I checked it out.

It's just as skeevy and uncomfortable as they said.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

For a movie that's as bloated as Face/off when you step back and look at it on any kind of objective level, it somehow never drags.

Yeah I've seen Face/Off over a dozen times and for some reason I've never noticed the running time. I was surprised when they said it pushes three hours because it always felt like a brisk 90 minutes to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I thought it was barely two hours until I watched the episode and I've owned the movie in some form or another since I was like 7.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

200th episode is up!

Edit: I am twenty seven minutes in and at least one third of the run time has been impressions of Jim Belushi involved in various circle jerks oh god it doesn't stop :ohdear:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 21, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Walter DownHill
Tom OverWaits

The dumb jokes in this episode are 10/10. I'm like fifteen minutes in and I'm dying.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I couldn't stop laughing at Eric's pick for who would play him in a biopic. It was such a perfect off the cuff line.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ugh, I love these guys but I can't stand Schwarzenegger impressions.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yaws posted:

Ugh, I love these guys but I can't stand Schwarzenegger impressions.

Is the weather nice in the nega-verse?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Having been listening to the other bad movie podcasts out there after finishing up the WHM archives, something like the odd tired Arnie impersonations is still nothing compared to poo poo like The Flophouse thinking that the one extra-nasally guy singing a terrible improvised song every episode is comedy gold or the entirety of How Did This Get Made's bullshit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like June Diane Raphael.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I can't decide which impression is better, Belushi or Brimley.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I can't decide which impression is better, Belushi or Brimley.

The Louie Anderson impression gets me every time, especially in The Day After Tomorrow and Cat's Eye episodes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

User-Friendly posted:

The Louie Anderson impression gets me every time, especially in The Day After Tomorrow and Cat's Eye episodes.

There is an entire Animation Domination episode on Life With Louie. If you haven't listened to it. Listen to it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Mortal Kombat episode is amazing if you find the Christopher Lambert as Raiden impression funny.

Hehh hehh hehh...

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Good news everybody!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOiJY0j0iq8

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Oh wow, that's proper live soundboard recording quality. That's fantastic.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't mind the impressions. The only time I found it tiresome was with Seventh Son, because it's clear they have nothing to say so they keep going back to their Jeff Bridges impressions. I think I turned it off half way through because it seemed like they were struggling. Belushi and his constant circle jerking is always funny though.

In other news, I just learned that Belushi is in the new David Simon show...what a weird career he's had. For someone who's known for 'comedy' he's actually a much better dramatic actor (Salvador, Gang Related).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't forget Thief, which it pains me to say he's pretty good in.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like everyone , but I wish they could focus better. For example compare their episode on Con-Air to WHM's Face/Off. The HTDGM crew manages to talk for over an hour and barely gives you any indication what the movie is about or even talk about the characters in it. I really wish they wouldn't jump around so much and spend less time harping on these weird tangents that go on forever.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I loved the Jeff Bridges impressions. "Fuckin witches!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Figures, the first Live show of theirs that's listenable is the one that I refuse to listen to because GL is a guilty pleasure of mine and I don't like irrationally dislike hearing people rag on it, despite knowing it's not a good movie.

Shame they prolly didn't do it for Vice Versa's live show. Ten minutes of Dad Dick Talk and ten minutes breaking down a scene where a grown woman's near make-out with 12yo Fred Savage is interrupted, and its treated like comedy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

For lack of a better term, JDR takes the lovely/bizzare movies seriously and earnestly. Whereas the others will just laugh at something for being lovely, she'll try and understand what was going through the character's minds, the creators minds, etc.

The best example of this was the derail in Monkey Shines about naming the monkeys and/or that the monkeys used weren't actors. She wasn't articulating it in the best way, but she was speaking to Romero littering "Btw these animals can really do these dangerous things" to make the movie more interesting was harmful to how monkeys deserve to be treated.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 22, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, pretty much. I also like when there's another woman on the show and they just go on and on about the outfits.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

MisterBibs posted:

Figures, the first Live show of theirs that's listenable is the one that I refuse to listen to because GL is a guilty pleasure of mine and I don't like irrationally dislike hearing people rag on it, despite knowing it's not a good movie.

Shame they prolly didn't do it for Vice Versa's live show. Ten minutes of Dad Dick Talk and ten minutes breaking down a scene where a grown woman's near make-out with 12yo Fred Savage is interrupted, and its treated like comedy

For lack of a better term, JDR takes the lovely/bizzare movies seriously and earnestly. Whereas the others will just laugh at something for being lovely, she'll try and understand what was going through the character's minds, the creators minds, etc.

The best example of this was the derail in Monkey Shines about naming the monkeys and/or that the monkeys used weren't actors. She wasn't articulating it in the best way, but she was speaking to Romero littering "Btw these animals can really do these dangerous things" to make the movie more interesting was harmful to how monkeys deserve to be treated.

That was the episode that made me stop listening. The way they kept interrupting her and telling her she made no sense before she fully explained her point annoyed the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

User-Friendly posted:

That was the episode that made me stop listening. The way they kept interrupting her and telling her she made no sense before she fully explained her point annoyed the hell out of me.

I agree, this wasn't when I stopped listening but it was when it started to turn for me. I thought she articulated her point off-the-cuff just fine and it was a completely valid position to take. I got the impression Scheer and Mantzoukas were deliberately misinterpreting her to keep things from getting too thoughtful and serious which annoyed me.

I think Mantzoukas is the funniest one on there but Raphael was my favorite and when they had a streak of like 3 or 4 episodes where she wasn't on I lost interest.

WHM now fills that slot in my playlist, though I literally can't tell anyone apart except Eric.