Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
NPR is streaming San Fermin's new album, "Jackrabbit"

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/12/398114825/first-listen-san-fermin-jackrabbit#playlist

It sounds pretty glorious. I'm loving the sound for this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why did they ever stop using Phil. That guy makes great records

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new BtS now and this is better than the last album (which I remember absolutely nothing about) but it's still not nearly as great as their older stuff. During the entire like 12 year span of releases between There's Nothing Wrong With Love and You In Reverse, they produced a plethora of amazing, endlessly replayable songs, and I'm not sure if they lost that ability or what, but I'm not feeling nearly as strongly about these songs or any from their last album.

e: Okay, so 4 of the 10 songs left a positive impression on me: CREB, Another Day, So and When I'm Blind. I feel like those are the only ones I'd ever feel a desire to revisit.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 13, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pavement...news?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
IMO the new bts is the best thing they've done in a long time. While I liked tracks off of ancient melodies, you in reverse, and there is no enemy, none of them felt like complete thoughts to me. They didn't feel like albums as much as a collection of songs.

This new one though flows really well, dougs voice is mixed differently and it's interesting. Maybe it's a coincidence since the new members joined, but to me, this is the youngest they've sounded in years. Some really cool parts and the album sounds fresh, not just another collection of songs. It's def. the most similar to perfect from now on era trilogy of albums. Lots of churning. Lots of atmosphere that actually turns into something.

Very solid record. Of my three big ones this year (death cab, modest mouse, bts) I think this and modest mouse made me the most excited that they were actually solid. I have so much love for these bands and it makes me sad when they put something out that isn't compelling. Glad to see Doug and Isaac both still putting out music I enjoy. The death cab album was serviceable but I don't see myself returning to it, or excited to, which for me, is the real test.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anybody ever catch a Lightning Bolt show before? Ticket in Mpls sold out but I'm debating on picking one up for $45 on StubHub.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TheAbortionator posted:

If any of you hate money and want six hours of the national playing sorrow on vynal boy do I have something for you.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/59182-the-national-announce-vinyl-box-set-collecting-six-hour-performance-of-sorrow/

http://www.alotofsorrow.com/

if you go to the site you see the stage hand tape down the setlist which consist of 4 pages of SORROW

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

incoherent posted:

http://www.alotofsorrow.com/

if you go to the site you see the stage hand tape down the setlist which consist of 4 pages of SORROW

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

IMO the new bts is the best thing they've done in a long time. While I liked tracks off of ancient melodies, you in reverse, and there is no enemy, none of them felt like complete thoughts to me. They didn't feel like albums as much as a collection of songs.

This new one though flows really well, dougs voice is mixed differently and it's interesting. Maybe it's a coincidence since the new members joined, but to me, this is the youngest they've sounded in years. Some really cool parts and the album sounds fresh, not just another collection of songs. It's def. the most similar to perfect from now on era trilogy of albums. Lots of churning. Lots of atmosphere that actually turns into something.

I think this one could grow on me a lot, considering how much I eventually liked There is No Enemy. C.R.E.B. was the immediate highlight for me, but it flows really really well and is pretty easy to listen to straight through.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

That is loving hilarious.

There's a tiny part of me that wants Matt Beringer to break up the band and start a comedy career based on the few podcasts I have heard him on.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 14, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

even better with 6 pages.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Lblitzer posted:

Anybody ever catch a Lightning Bolt show before? Ticket in Mpls sold out but I'm debating on picking one up for $45 on StubHub.

Totally worth it. Seen em a few times and it's always intense. They play in the middle of the floor with everyone hovering and thrashing around.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

TheAbortionator posted:

That is loving hilarious.

There's a tiny part of me that wants Matt Beringer to break up the band and start a comedy career based on the few podcasts I have heard him on.

His episode of Comedy Bang Bang is aces

+ https://soundcloud.com/comedybangbang/278-old-97s-matt-berninger

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People in the Comedy Bang Bang thread thought he had a hard time going along, but I think they are crazy and Matt was probably one of their best musical guests when it came to being funny.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That Joywave album (on Spotify a week early) is enjoyable from a kind of fluffly pop/indie perspective.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I saw Stars two weekends ago from this one. Was the first concert I can ever say I was "drunk" for. Was still a lot of fun being able to dance around and sing without any care. The opening act (Wild Mocosins) had a really rocking bassist. I love it when bands use he bass like that. I'll try to get pictures up later.

I am seeing Sleater Kinney Thursday night and have really high hopes for them. I am expecting a loud in your face show. Plan on getting there at doors to get a spot front and center.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
If anyone was into Jamie XX's kinda Summery stuff check out this new track from Kygo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJabguPilkA

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Built to spill is my favorite band but I've seen them 12 times or so and their live show is so boring it's pretty much the same set all the time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Built to spill is my favorite band but I've seen them 12 times or so and their live show is so boring it's pretty much the same set all the time.

I've seen them 4 or 5 times and this hasn't been my experience at all. They and Dinosaur Jr. are my get-tickets-no-matter-what-who-cares-if-it's-a-work-night bands.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Really? Their stage presence is definitely lacking but the actual playing is really good and the setlist has been wildly different from show to show in my experience (seen em 4 times).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I dunno I mean when I see them headline sure I guess but last night I saw them open for brand new (lol) and it was 7 songs just the same stuff they always play.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Yo Bop English(aka James Petralli of White Denim) owns

https://youtu.be/ew00yyf6JhQ

https://youtu.be/qfSYToTvxNI

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 17, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

krnhotwings posted:

NPR is streaming San Fermin's new album, "Jackrabbit"

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/12/398114825/first-listen-san-fermin-jackrabbit#playlist

It sounds pretty glorious. I'm loving the sound for this album.

I'm so hyped for this album that I stupidly bought the vinyl test pressing of it from the band's webstore:

Can't wait to see them next Thursday.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, I've tried rationalizing seeing them in KC next month, even though it's a Wednesday/three-hour drive. A lot of good music has already come out this year but "Emily" may be my favorite song of it all.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Had Lord Huron's new album on repeat since it came out, its sick. Some is pretty musically similar to Lonesome Dreams, but the second half has a slightly dark and brooding nature to it, which I really dig. Seeing them live in June, should be sweet

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, I've tried rationalizing seeing them in KC next month, even though it's a Wednesday/three-hour drive. A lot of good music has already come out this year but "Emily" may be my favorite song of it all.

Hope they announce a date in Texas. Would love to see them live. Their first album was an unexpected treat for me last year. I bet their live instrumentation would be wonderful.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Having never heard Sufjan before his last album has blown me away and I'm going through his catalog happily.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

interpunct posted:

I'm so hyped for this album that I stupidly bought the vinyl test pressing of it from the band's webstore:

Yeah this album is great. Hard to describe other than "this is what I wanted from The National but got Trouble Will Find Me instead."

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BonoMan posted:

Yeah this album is great. Hard to describe other than "this is what I wanted from The National but got Trouble Will Find Me instead."

I was thinking "if the National did a gig with Arcade Fire" but yeah. Thanks for krnhotwings linking the NPR preview!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
On a related note, guess the source of this quote!

quote:

Allen Tate, however, has either never heard the National or has never listened to any band other than the National. There’s no other way to explain the staggering degree to which Allen Tate sounds exactly like Matt Berninger. Not Leonard Cohen, not Mark Kozelek, or anyone else in the lineage of dour, baritone barstool bards. Just Matt Berninger. His vocals are subject to the same exact cadences, the exact melodic contours, the same wink-and-nod affectations, the same grim humor, the same vocabulary. When Tate takes the lead, San Fermin becomes the equivalent of a shaky music biopic, completely compromised by the uncanny valley effect of having someone not quite be the person he constantly reminds you of. The script, the setting, the soundtrack—all of it is rendered moot.

:awesome:

(I don't intend to derail with a needless rant against said source — that horse has been beaten into the earth's mantle — I just found it amusing)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am in such love with Sufjan !!!!!!!!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is this where I go to talk about the new Alabama Shakes album?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

interpunct posted:

I stupidly did the same when I read your post and found out that they were selling such a thing.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes! drat, I didn't know they had a new album out. I gave a listen to some of their available songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oib0a2_itA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5OX7CO26c

Aaaand I just placed my order.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

These are both probably my favourite songs of theirs now.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know how I feel about Gemini yet, but drat I like the album as a whole even more than the first.

Also see them live if you ever get a chance.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

detectivemonkey posted:

I don't know how I feel about Gemini yet, but drat I like the album as a whole even more than the first.

Also see them live if you ever get a chance.

I actually just missed the chance! However, I am probably going to Lollapalooza so hopefully I'll see them there.

Anybody else getting a big My Morning Jacket vibe from it?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Just got back from the San Fermin record release show. The band is so tight and energetic, especially the horn players. They ended the night with an encore of Buddy Holly (yes, the Weezer song), which was out of left field but fun to sing along with. I managed to get most of the band to sign my test pressing of Jackrabbit and even found a setlist randomly discarded on the venue floor. Catch them live if you can!

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Yo if you don't think that The Mountain Goats' new album is rad enough, the physical CD case comes with a sticker that reads "THIS RIGHT HERE IS AN ALBUM ABOUT PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING". Also the little lyrics booklet has a small write up by John Darnielle about his relationship with pro wrestling which makes the whole thing feel more personal as a whole.

This might be my favorite album this year so far.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Have you heard the new Sufjan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MORE NEW HEALTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_dedjucgM

nsfw