Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

I love that article. I especially like this part:

wiki about Larry the cat posted:

Following the March murder of a dog at Crufts, David Cameron doubled security measures around Larry.

I know they mean they're protecting the cat, but I want to read it as them keeping an eye on him to prevent him killing another dog. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I love the bit where Cameron wakes up Larry to show him a mouse in the room so he can do his job but Larry's all "eh gently caress it."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I love the bit where Cameron wakes up Larry to show him a mouse in the room so he can do his job but Larry's all "eh gently caress it."

"Take it up with the union. This nap break is in the contract"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This bit is my personal favourite:

quote:

On 14 November 2011, Larry's position came under pressure, as it emerged that he was spending more time sleeping, and spending time in the company of a female cat, Maisie, than actually hunting for mice. The cat's position was said to be "unassailable", even though it emerged that the Prime Minister had resorted to throwing a piece of cutlery at a mouse during a cabinet dinner, in an ineffectual attempt to kill it.

Because it demonstrates that he's actually one of the more effective ministers in the cabinet. :v:

I sort of want Larry to have his own seat at the cabinet table now, maybe with a little cat-sized red briefcase he can carry in his mouth. :allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

This bit is my personal favourite:

Because it demonstrates that he's actually one of the more effective ministers in the cabinet. :v:

I sort of want Larry to have his own seat at the cabinet table now, maybe with a little cat-sized red briefcase he can carry in his mouth. :allears:

I keep seeing the name 'Maisie' come up as names of kids or cats in the UK and can't help but think that's a Game of Thrones thing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

I keep seeing the name 'Maisie' come up as names of kids or cats in the UK and can't help but think that's a Game of Thrones thing.

It's just a normal name though. :confused:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office; Incumbent: Larry.

The cat tradition goes back to Cardinal Wolsey, holy poo poo.

I also love the "Prime Minister(s)" block.
Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill
(no Winston Churchill)
Winston Churchill

Edit:

Tiggum posted:

Maybe in your uncivilized backwater. Around these parts, we give our kids real names, like Kash-with-a-K, Jet, Zaiden, and Sierah.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Apr 23, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I guess I just don't know enough girls but I've literally never met anyone named that or heard that name irl other than the actor from that show.

I think it's one of those English only names like Jez that just haven't made it over here. Or I'm an idiot.

Those aren't mutually exclusive of course.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Jez" or "Jezza" is often a shortened form of "Jeremy" (e.g. Jeremy Clarkson is colloquially known as "Jezza"), sort of like "Gaz", "Gazza" or sometimes "Gal" for "Gary".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Jez" or "Jezza" is often a shortened form of "Jeremy" (e.g. Jeremy Clarkson is colloquially known as "Jezza"), sort of like "Gaz", "Gazza" or sometimes "Gal" for "Gary".

I know, I've only ever heard it on Peep Show is what I mean. It's not used here at all, but Jeremy obviously is.

/derail

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wheat Loaf posted:

What is the deal with the UK making crazy shortened versions of words. Seeing "christmas presents" shortened to "crimbo pressies" is.... is ...... :barf:.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What is the deal with the UK making crazy shortened versions of words. Seeing "christmas presents" shortened to "crimbo pressies" is.... is ...... :barf:.

I agreed with the first half of this post until I read the second half of this post

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's Xmas 'zents or its nothing!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

:australia:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

What was the name of the bar that this happened in?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All English diminutives are weird as hell. Robert => Bob, Margaret => Peggy, Richard => Dick, Henry => Hank :confused:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Snapchat A Titty posted:

All English diminutives are weird as hell. Robert => Bob, Margaret => Peggy, Richard => Dick, Henry => Hank :confused:

James => Jim, William => Bill

English is pretty awful.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Reign Of Pain posted:

What was the name of the bar that this happened in?

Lol, bar. Like a pig would get let into a bar in Australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-09/beer-swilling-swine/4946072

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

razorrozar posted:

James => Jim, William => Bill

English is pretty awful.

Lots of languages are. I don't even get how Alexander becomes Sasha.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Surgeon Swears Human Head Transplant Isn't a 'Metal Gear Solid' Publicity Stunt

Dr. Sergio Canavero wants to become the first surgeon to perform a human head transplant. But some discerning gamers noticed that a doctor shown in the trailer for Metal Gear Solid V looks almost exactly like Canavero, leading some to speculate that it's all a viral marketing campaign for the upcoming game. Canavero, however, filed a sworn affidavit with Italian police in which he said Konami illegally stole his likeness, and that he has nothing to do with the game.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/04/china-plans-crackdown-on-funeral-strippers/

c'mon China...

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Nicknames for Margaret: Peggy, Maggie, Marge, Margo, Meg, Mamie, Molly, Greta, Midge, Madge, to name a few. And Maisie.

From what I understand, it's a holdover from when everyone had saints' names and everyone named their kids after themselves (this used to be common for women as well). They just came up with a fuckton of nicknames in order to differentiate between all the kids in the village who had the same name. Like kids now referring to kids in their class as, say, Sara S. and Sarah L.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

QuelleFuck posted:

Nicknames for Margaret: Peggy, Maggie, Marge, Margo, Meg, Mamie, Molly, Greta, Midge, Madge, to name a few. And Maisie.

From what I understand, it's a holdover from when everyone had saints' names and everyone named their kids after themselves (this used to be common for women as well). They just came up with a fuckton of nicknames in order to differentiate between all the kids in the village who had the same name. Like kids now referring to kids in their class as, say, Sara S. and Sarah L.

Yeah as far as I know naming your kid after yourself is an English or royal thing. In Scandinavia you'd name your kids after the parents of the father & mother. The exact order was different in various areas.

One of my great3 grandfathers' name was Niels Christensen Dalsgaard. His first name was presumably after his fathers father or his mothers father, they were both named Niels; Christensen is "son of Christen" after his father; and Dalsgaard after the farm they lived on. Yet he also had an older brother with the exact same name. The pull of tradition was strong enough that the parents had to name their two firstborn sons after each of their fathers, even if they had the same name.

So they were called Big Niels & Li'l Niels.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My favourite story about that was in an English village years ago where they still kept the practice, and they ran into the same problem, two brothers named Evan. There were nicknames and such through the years, but it wasn't until they'd grown up and found careers that the village finally had a name for each of them. One became a vicar and the other became the town mortician, so they were called Evan Above and Evan Below.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Yeah as far as I know naming your kid after yourself is an English or royal thing. In Scandinavia you'd name your kids after the parents of the father & mother. The exact order was different in various areas.

One of my great3 grandfathers' name was Niels Christensen Dalsgaard. His first name was presumably after his fathers father or his mothers father, they were both named Niels; Christensen is "son of Christen" after his father; and Dalsgaard after the farm they lived on. Yet he also had an older brother with the exact same name. The pull of tradition was strong enough that the parents had to name their two firstborn sons after each of their fathers, even if they had the same name.

So they were called Big Niels & Li'l Niels.

Every single one of my paternal male relatives save one are named William, Robert, or Thomas. We call them Papa Bill, Bill A., Bucky, Little Billy, Bob, Rob, Tom, and TJ, respectively.

E: I almost forgot that on my mom's side, all the firstborn men are named Paul MacSomething Whatever. My granddad was called Paul, my uncle was called Mark (for "Mac," I'm told), until my uncle got married and had a son he named Paul MacSomething Whatever. Now my uncle is called Paul and my cousin is Mark. When my cousin has a son, everyone will start calling him Paul.

To make up for the naming-conventions derail, here's something I saw in the funny pictures thread that's appropriate here:

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Apr 25, 2015

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...
Probably a repost but a favourite from my home country:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/man-who-tried-to-turn-his-faeces-into-gold-is-jailed-28671404.html

Man who tried to turn his faeces into gold is jailed. Judge said it was an interesting experiment but doomed to failure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RandomFerret posted:

My favourite story about that was in an English village years ago where they still kept the practice, and they ran into the same problem, two brothers named Evan. There were nicknames and such through the years, but it wasn't until they'd grown up and found careers that the village finally had a name for each of them. One became a vicar and the other became the town mortician, so they were called Evan Above and Evan Below.

Hah nice, that is too good to be true.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

QuelleFuck posted:

Like kids now referring to kids in their class as, say, Sara S. and Sarah L.

Sara and Sarah are pronounced differently though, why not just call them by their names.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

NT News is cheating at this game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Sara and Sarah are pronounced differently though, why not just call them by their names.

In the US they're pronounced identically. Maybe it's different in Bitey-Stingie-Poison-Deathland Australia.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

This reminds me of when my one friend learned that our buddy Jon's name was NOT spelled J-O-H-N and lamented that he'd been pronouncing it wrong all these years.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

There could be a whole thread about these, Jesus.

"High Above"

"Beware our Sting" Google translate: "Our Mortgage Bites." Yeah, so does mine. :haw:

"We Own the Sky"

It's amazing how much information they put into the patches. It's hard to conceal something once it's in orbit and you can get a good idea of the mass of any given payload from Wikipedia, so while it remains classified there's a lot of detail in some of them that tells you exactly what they're launching.

canyoneer posted:

I'm told that if one is wearing a dress, there aren't a lot of great places to hide it. If they are wearing a skirt or something belted, they can clip it back there. If not, there's a garter thing you use.
Generally if a woman is wearing a dress and needs a mic, you just clip it on the back of her dress and run the wire over her shoulder to her collar. You can get creative, but for live events it's just one of those things you have to do if you want people to be able to hear a presenter.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

QuelleFuck posted:

This reminds me of when my one friend learned that our buddy Jon's name was NOT spelled J-O-H-N and lamented that he'd been pronouncing it wrong all these years.

"I have a girlfriend named Lynn. She spells her name L-Y-N-N. And my old girlfriend’s name is Lyn too. She spells her name L-Y-N. Every now and then, I gently caress up. I call my new girlfriend by my old girlfriend’s name. And she can tell because I don’t say “nn” as long."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

QuelleFuck posted:

Every single one of my paternal male relatives save one are named William, Robert, or Thomas. We call them Papa Bill, Bill A., Bucky, Little Billy, Bob, Rob, Tom, and TJ, respectively.

E: I almost forgot that on my mom's side, all the firstborn men are named Paul MacSomething Whatever. My granddad was called Paul, my uncle was called Mark (for "Mac," I'm told), until my uncle got married and had a son he named Paul MacSomething Whatever. Now my uncle is called Paul and my cousin is Mark. When my cousin has a son, everyone will start calling him Paul.

You need some Johns and Matthews in there

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

QuelleFuck posted:

To make up for the naming-conventions derail, here's something I saw in the funny pictures thread that's appropriate here:

Well, I guess a lot of people do play 3.5 edition Bards.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

flosofl posted:

In the US they're pronounced identically. Maybe it's different in Bitey-Stingie-Poison-Deathland Australia.

Sara -> Sa ra

Sarah -> Sair rah

Weirdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

QuelleFuck posted:

From what I understand, it's a holdover from when everyone had saints' names and everyone named their kids after themselves (this used to be common for women as well).
There's a fair degree of regionalism to them as well--Margo(t) from the French, Greta the German, and Maisie, if I recall correctly, from Scots. A lot of them, I would wager, date from the time when a merchant from the Danelaw regions could scarcely make himself understood in Kent.