Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Sharmat posted:

So Iron Fist is actually a relatively average white guy that gets accidentally caught up in some kind of crazy mystical Kung Fu war? Is Ironfist going to be Big Trouble in Little China: The Television Series?

Because I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

I guess I'll put this in spoiler tags because some people might not want to know, but here's the basics. Danny Rand is not average. His dad discovered K'un L'un, the mystical city, as a child and became the adopted child of the ruler. Later he left the city and went back to society and started up a business and became rich. He tried to go back to the city with his child and wife but certain events happen that basically leave his son alone and like his father was he is taken to the city and trains as well. He eventually becomes the Iron Fist and eventually returns like his father did. That's the quick origin rundown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That sounds less interesting than Big Trouble in Little China: The Adventure Continues, but I'll still give it a shot.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Sharmat posted:

That sounds less interesting than Big Trouble in Little China: The Adventure Continues, but I'll still give it a shot.

There is a guy call Fat Cobra and a lot of dragon punching.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

There is a guy call Fat Cobra and a lot of dragon punching.

If it's played completely straight all the time it'll probably seem stupid but surely they won't do that 24/7.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Sharmat posted:

If it's played completely straight all the time it'll probably seem stupid but surely they won't do that 24/7.

They pretty much play the concept straight 24/7, but that doesn't mean there aren't people having fun in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Sharmat posted:

Danny can be serious when the time calls for it, but he's a fun character most of the time and does joke around quite a bit. Especially when around Luke Cage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Deadpool posted:

Danny can be serious when the time calls for it, but he's a fun character most of the time and does joke around quite a bit. Especially when around Luke Cage.

Its still crazy to think that Luke Cage is going to be involved in the next three series plus Defenders.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
For those of you wondering about Karen's future plotlines, I watched a post-release interview with DeKnight (I think it was the IGN one?) where he basically said that her story was going to include elements of the comics but not go as far as "heroin-addled junkie selling out Daredevil". I'll try to find the exact quote/link in a bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Sharmat posted:

If you want that, there's a comic series which is exactly that. It picks up the second the movie ended.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
How is Iron Fist not a hokey somewhat racist appropriation of the mysteries of the orient and kung fu? I'm only semi familiar with the character but this could be the most terrible MU character to date or the most hilarious. I hope they go full white guy karate with it and make him like Rex in Napoleon Dynamite.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NutritiousSnack posted:

There's nothing more I want than a Daredevil/Spider-Man crossover doing the Murder of Jean DeWolf or handling Spidey's more gritty less wacky adventures.

Honestly there's nothing more than I'd want to see than Punisher be a Daredevil villain or supporting character/foil ...Now there is a lunatic gunning down people for the sake of justice, getting poo poo done but in a frankly horrifying reprehensible way.

I caught that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Modus Operandi posted:

How is Iron Fist not a hokey somewhat racist appropriation of the mysteries of the orient and kung fu? I'm only semi familiar with the character but this could be the most terrible MU character to date or the most hilarious. I hope they go full white guy karate with it and make him like Rex in Napoleon Dynamite.

Oh it super is but when he was invented anti-Asian racism wasn't a concern for most people at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is this thread going to turn into a bunch of words about cultural appropriation when Iron Fist airs? Is that how it's gonna be?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
If chinese people make and love cheesy kung fu movies, then everyone can make and love cheesy kung fu movies. People get too sensitive about this :colbert:.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Modus Operandi posted:

How is Iron Fist not a hokey somewhat racist appropriation of the mysteries of the orient and kung fu?

He is, but then they hooked him up with Luke Cage and started telling amusing buddy comedy stories and people stopped giving a poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Is this thread going to turn into a bunch of words about cultural appropriation when Iron Fist airs? Is that how it's gonna be?

Oh yeah. It will begin when they in fact cast a white dude as Danny.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If they cast a Chinese person people will be complaining they turned him into a racial stereotype.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

He is, but then they hooked him up with Luke Cage and started telling amusing buddy comedy stories and people stopped giving a poo poo.

So basically Rush Hour with Chris Tucker and Whitey Chan.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Sharmat posted:

If they cast a Chinese person people will be complaining they turned him into a racial stereotype.

Oh its a lose/lose for Marvel and the complaints when they announce the casting are going to be loud.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Just wait until the Shang Chi series featuring Fu Manchu.

In all honesty, I'd be fine with a Shang Chi series. Doug Moench is pretty much my favorite comic book writer from that era.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
It sounds like Tarantino is probably the only person who could do all this justice.

Shang Chi, Iron Fist, etc.. goes deep into camp cinema territory.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Thing is in the original Sax Rohmer Fu Manchu stories, Dr. Fu always won or got away. Smith and Petrie were always getting their asses kicked. Arthur Ward (Sax Rohmer) wrote them in a way that the racists of his time (most of his readers) would go 'Look how superior the white race is!' when the epitomes of that race were constantly getting clowned.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

Oh its a lose/lose for Marvel and the complaints when they announce the casting are going to be loud.

Just cast a Puerto Rican jewish guy, then if anyone complains THEY'RE the racist/anti-semite.

Although obviously my dream casting for Iron Fist is RZA

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

No one's going to wait that long to threadshit. It's already begun.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

greatn posted:

Although obviously my dream casting for Iron Fist is RZA

My dream casting for Luke Cage is Robert Downey Jr reprising his role in Tropic Thunder. They can totally flip the script have a white dude in black face and a black man in asian/white face.

I would most definitely watch the gently caress out of that.

gently caress it, let's dial it up a notch. Nicolas cage as Luke Cage in black face.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 23, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As an Asian™, I grant permission to Marvel to cast a white person as an expert in Asian martial arts.

edit: In return I will expect Asians to be granted license to play experts in doing White People Things, like shooting guns

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

As an Asian™, I grant permission to Marvel to cast a white person as an expert in Asian martial arts.

edit: In return I will expect Asians to be granted license to play experts in doing White People Things, like shooting guns

But that's reverse racism, the worst kind of racism!!!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

If they end up using Yakuza in Daredevil, they use guns. A lot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

notthegoatseguy posted:

If they end up using Yakuza in Daredevil, they use guns. A lot.

Experts though, not like Stormtrooper rejects

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Steve Yun posted:

The Asian guy in that kinda bad Wolverine movie's superpower appeared to be "I am incredibly good at shooting guns".

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Who the gently caress was that supposed to be, anyway? Fantomex?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Raserys posted:

Who the gently caress was that supposed to be, anyway? Fantomex?

Agent Zero. Personally, I've never heard of him.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phylodox posted:

Agent Zero. Personally, I've never heard of him.

Zero was an android in the comics, they changed him to a mutie in the movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burning_Monk posted:

Not according to Wikipedia. They say he was a mutant who could absorb kinetic energy and was involved in, like, Weapon X poo poo. I got bored and stopped reading after a while, though, so maybe they revealed that he's an android later.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Not according to Wikipedia. They say he was a mutant who could absorb kinetic energy and was involved in, like, Weapon X poo poo. I got bored and stopped reading after a while, though, so maybe they revealed that he's an android later.

He's a mutant robot, clearly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burning_Monk posted:

Check your privilege, flatscan :mad:

"Flatscan" may be the worst fake insult/slang term I've ever read in comics.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Far be it from me to correct you Oh Wise Sifu, but the Chinese invented gunpowder. Shooting guns is an inherently Asian quality just like magic Kung fu and punching dragons. Please reverse racism away something truly White like juvenile diabetes instead.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Steve Yun posted:

Xin Wong was an ordinary Chinese immigrant. Until he ate some magical quinoa at Whole Foods and became: The Social Media Marketer.

But how will he defeat his arch nemesis, Black Tumblr Memes He Struggles to Understand?

What if they cast a half-white, half-Asian guy as Iron Fist? Does it neutralize the problem or double it?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Here's another piece to the MU puzzle that hasn't been solved yet until now.

Who is going to be cast as Fu Manchu.

I believe we can stop the brainstorming now folks I think this is the best and most obvious choice right here:

"Why herro mistah I-lon fist what an un-expected suh-pris-ah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Xealot posted:

What if they cast a half-white, half-Asian guy as Iron Fist? Does it neutralize the problem or double it?

Nothing they do will help. There will be outcry no matter what. The best thing they can do is just ignore it and hope the show is good enough that people stop caring.