Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have used this place some a while ago. They took my money and shipped me stuff no problem.

http://www.minimus.biz/

Oh cool, I didn't see they had free shipping over $20. Perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So 2 of the 3 backpacks I ordered for my selection have arrived. The ULA Ohm 2.0 and GG Gorilla. My first thought is that I must not have been paying as close of attention as I thought, because the Ohm is significantly bigger. Looks a full 2 inches wider and is obviously taller/larger. The second thought is that these bags are both gorgeous. I'll be sure to take pictures and notes on all 3 bags when the MLD Exodus arrives.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

whatever cured sausage it is you can keep non refrigerated (I need to look into this) sausages in.
I've never improved my hiking enjoyment as much as when I started carrying french saucisson and italian salami as a source of protein.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Babybel cheeses that come in wax discs are my "one cool trick backpackers get mad they don't know." They keep fine without refrigeration. Combine with cured meets and I am living it up at 10k'

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

khysanth posted:

My wife and I are looking for a two-night backpacking trip in Yosemite in the next few months. Preferably somewhere out in the Tuolomne area where we could camp by a lake one night, anywhere really on the other night, then loop back to our car. Maybe a peak if possible. Any recommendations?

I'm doing 2 nights in July, leaving from Mono Meadows trailhead and hiking up to Ottaway Lakes. Haven't really figured out a complete itinerary yet, might stay at Merced Pass Lakes the first night and Ottaway Lakes the second and poke around up there with the extra time. Should be a less used part of the park with nice views of the Clark Range.

This site doesn't have detailed descriptions but might give you some hike ideas in Yosemite and the surrounding areas. They got a lot of their ideas from some Backpacking in the Sierra books. I'll link their section on Yosemite hikes around the Tuolumne Meadows area

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home/destinations/hikes-by-highway/g-highway-120-tioga-pass

You might have some trouble getting a permit out of Tuolumne Meadows area at this point though, I'm not sure. Really just depends on the trailhead, since some are almost completely booked up and others have plenty of dates available. Check the full trailheads report before submitting a reservation request

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf

cheese posted:

So 2 of the 3 backpacks I ordered for my selection have arrived. The ULA Ohm 2.0 and GG Gorilla. My first thought is that I must not have been paying as close of attention as I thought, because the Ohm is significantly bigger. Looks a full 2 inches wider and is obviously taller/larger. The second thought is that these bags are both gorgeous. I'll be sure to take pictures and notes on all 3 bags when the MLD Exodus arrives.

Did you look at the ULA CDT? Seems like it might have been a little closer to what you were looking for (smaller than the Ohm)

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

COOL CORN posted:

I live in the central North Carolina area, but I guess if I want to find some good stuff I'll have to travel to Asheville/Appalachia

This was a while ago, but I have some suggestions for you. :) If you're looking for a long weekend type thing, I just did the Virginia "triple crown" hike, which is a loop mostly on the AT. I wrote it up in my log if you're curious. The trailhead was only a little over 3 hours from Raleigh, whereas Asheville is more like 5 hours away. If you live more towards the triad it would be even closer. And it was completely amazing and wonderful. This time of year the AT thru-hikers are still mostly farther south, too, so we saw maybe a dozen people the whole time while on the trail, though obviously we saw more day hikers while were close to the parking lots.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Uwharrie National Forest, which is even closer at only about 1h45 from Raleigh, for another long weekend type thing. I'll write that up too and post a link here if you're interested!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

I'm doing 2 nights in July, leaving from Mono Meadows trailhead and hiking up to Ottaway Lakes. Haven't really figured out a complete itinerary yet, might stay at Merced Pass Lakes the first night and Ottaway Lakes the second and poke around up there with the extra time. Should be a less used part of the park with nice views of the Clark Range.
I did a very similar hike a few years ago. Stayed the first night at lower Ottoway Lake then the 2nd just over Red Peak Pass (made for a pretty short 2nd day). Hiked out along the Merced River to LYV and down the mist trail the 3rd day (was a pretty long day). It's a really good 2-3 nighter.

When people mention Tuolumne and possible peak bagging, I always point out Mt. Dana. It's a day hike from Tioga Pass Rd but it's one of the most accessible 13k's in the area. A really great view and a nice hike up and back.

If you really want to get away from people, pretty much any trails north of Tuolumne are less crowded. Loops are generally longer though so finding a 3 nighter might be a challenge. I've heard great things about the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne but I've never hiked it personally.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The Babybel cheeses that come in wax discs are my "one cool trick backpackers get mad they don't know." They keep fine without refrigeration. Combine with cured meets and I am living it up at 10k'
Of the million cheeses that keep unrefrigerated this is the one you pick?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

This was a while ago, but I have some suggestions for you. :) If you're looking for a long weekend type thing, I just did the Virginia "triple crown" hike, which is a loop mostly on the AT. I wrote it up in my log if you're curious. The trailhead was only a little over 3 hours from Raleigh, whereas Asheville is more like 5 hours away. If you live more towards the triad it would be even closer. And it was completely amazing and wonderful. This time of year the AT thru-hikers are still mostly farther south, too, so we saw maybe a dozen people the whole time while on the trail, though obviously we saw more day hikers while were close to the parking lots.

In a couple weeks I'm going to Uwharrie National Forest, which is even closer at only about 1h45 from Raleigh, for another long weekend type thing. I'll write that up too and post a link here if you're interested!

Definitely! The triple crown hike looks awesome - looks like the Salem AT parking lot is only about 2 hrs 15 from me. I'll probably try to just hit one of the three spots, so that I can do it on a Saturday/Sunday - and then maybe go back for the whole thing over Memorial Day weekend, assuming I can do it over two nights instead of three. Then again, looks like some of those ascents were pretty gnarly, may have to adjust the trip down a bit for 2 nights.

Either way, definitely looking forward to seeing the Uwharrie writeup, it's only 1 hour from me (I'm in Greensboro, BTW) but I've never made it down there!

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

OSU_Matthew posted:

And go without coffee?? You heathen.

These aren't coffee, but they are a yummy form of caffeine that are great ways to start your hike out of camp.

Shot Bloks - Black Cherry

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HarryPurvis posted:

These aren't coffee, but they are a yummy form of caffeine that are great ways to start your hike out of camp.

Blech...

I'll stick with coffee and breakfast burritos on the trail. Ain't nothing better than breakfast in the hammock to bookend your day

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

COOL CORN posted:

Definitely! The triple crown hike looks awesome - looks like the Salem AT parking lot is only about 2 hrs 15 from me. I'll probably try to just hit one of the three spots, so that I can do it on a Saturday/Sunday - and then maybe go back for the whole thing over Memorial Day weekend, assuming I can do it over two nights instead of three. Then again, looks like some of those ascents were pretty gnarly, may have to adjust the trip down a bit for 2 nights.

Either way, definitely looking forward to seeing the Uwharrie writeup, it's only 1 hour from me (I'm in Greensboro, BTW) but I've never made it down there!

Cool! yeah if you're in reasonable shape and don't have an ultra heavy pack, I think you could totally do the triple crown hike in 2 nights, as long as you got an early start on day 1. After all, we started Day 1 at 5pm and ended Day 4 at 2:30pm, so that's less than a whole day put together, if that makes sense. The only part that was really tough was between McAfee and Tinker Cliffs, and that had more to do with the way the trail was laid out (straight ups with no switchbacks) than the actual difficulty of the elevation. My husband is a weirdo and likes to massively overpack, and he kept up with me with a pack that weighed 53lbs when we left home. You can do it!

I'll definitely post the Uwharrie writeup once I'm back since you're interested.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Cool! yeah if you're in reasonable shape and don't have an ultra heavy pack, I think you could totally do the triple crown hike in 2 nights, as long as you got an early start on day 1. After all, we started Day 1 at 5pm and ended Day 4 at 2:30pm, so that's less than a whole day put together, if that makes sense. The only part that was really tough was between McAfee and Tinker Cliffs, and that had more to do with the way the trail was laid out (straight ups with no switchbacks) than the actual difficulty of the elevation. My husband is a weirdo and likes to massively overpack, and he kept up with me with a pack that weighed 53lbs when we left home. You can do it!

I'll definitely post the Uwharrie writeup once I'm back since you're interested.

Thanks for the motivation! I'll definitely give it a try :)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

HarryPurvis posted:

These are amazing. Cannot recommend enough.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Speleothing posted:

I also love those things, I don't bring them hiking but I eat them while cycling regularly.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OSU_Matthew posted:

So... What's the particular attraction to go someplace where there's a legitimate chance of becoming horribly maimed or killed (through no fault of your own)? I mean, there's plenty of amazing places to travel and visit around the world, why someplace with an active minefield? Avalanche Risk, Grizzly Bear Population, Malaria, 10,000' drop off a cliff. Is there something like Angkor Wat tucked away there?

Life's dangerous everywhere bro. :shrug:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That's going to be a sick trip. What's your plan for communicating with locals along the way?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
For the person who asked about Steep and Cheap: They have some Patagonia stuff up now. As usual, random sizing. https://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/shop-patagonia

The quality of the discount is hit or miss, and you really have to order multiple items from them to make the shipping cost worth it since the first item is like $7, each additional item $1. FWIW, I live in CA and I don't remember them ever charging me sales tax. Make sure you know exactly what you want. I used them for snowboarding goggles and was new to it, so I got hit on shipping both ways. I find they have enough of the really good stuff that I check in randomly and hope to get lucky, but that the savings aren't that much more than Sierra Trading Post w/ coupon or other online sales in the first place.

Edit: Speaking of Ghost Whisperer, that jacket has a weird cut on me as it really comes out wide at the bottom and also cost me shipping back on it. I guess the ~$5 return shipping is probably worth less to me than driving during rush hour to REI to actually try it on, but still annoying.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 23, 2015

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Ive been watching steep and cheap for awhile. There will be about 1 good deal that I need of 400. I was able to find a mountain hardware ghost whisperer jacket for $150(reg 320$). After I bout it it jumped to $190, which would have been too much. I just check daily for deals....

Thoren
May 28, 2008

cheese posted:

Those packs are light as hell but wouldn't a lack of frame make the weight heavier to carry despite saving 3-4 pounds?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

I've never improved my hiking enjoyment as much as when I started carrying french saucisson and italian salami as a source of protein.

I guess my retard question is: What sausages are okay to use? How do I store them? Any tips on gauging their safety to eat after a few days hiking?

Anyone else do the freezer bag meals thing? I'm wondering if anyone has it down to the art of knowing exact measurements for things like milk powders cheese powders and water amounts and what not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I guess my retard question is: What sausages are okay to use? How do I store them? Any tips on gauging their safety to eat after a few days hiking?
I ate everything that wasn't refrigerated at the store. Just kept it in a ziplock with foil over the chopped end so it wouldn't dry out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thoren posted:

Those packs are light as hell but wouldn't a lack of frame make the weight heavier to carry despite saving 3-4 pounds?

They're usually designed to only carry like 20-25 lbs comfortably or something. If you have your gear picked out so you're going to be in that weight range then they carry just fine

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Spime Wrangler posted:

That's going to be a sick trip. What's your plan for communicating with locals along the way?

Mish-mash of Russian & Armenian phrasebooks and my killer pantomime skills. More worried about fitting two months gear into in a 22L un-framed klettersack (Ditching my tent in favor of a tarp, or even a SOL bivvy), what footwear to use (going to Anatolia afterwards, hot, very hot), and the liver damage from two to four weeks of homebrewed caucasian fruit moonshines.

Getting over the weird Canadian / NA cultural mindset of assuming that anyone offering you food or shelter is planning to rob and gruesomely murder you is also going to be a struggle.

:getin:

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Thoren posted:

I have a ULA Conduit, which is the old version of the CDT, and it's the most comfortable pack I've ever owned. Frameless packs are super comfortable because they contour to you in addition to being lighter--technically there is a "frame", you're using a sleeping pad to help shape the pack and give it some rigidity. Below a certain weight (about 20-25 pounds like Levitate says), there isn't really much of a benefit of framed vs frameless except comfort and pack weight, unless you're packing your stuff weird, in which case a frame may help alleviate or disguise some of those issues.

Anyone else do the freezer bag meals thing? I'm wondering if anyone has it down to the art of knowing exact measurements for things like milk powders cheese powders and water amounts and what not.
Just throw whatever poo poo sounds good in there and then add enough water, then a little more because you probably misjudged it the first time.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have sadly fallen out of my habit of hiking/backpacking since graduating college. As a result I have grown soft and fat. What are some good places in NJ that are nice weekend hikes for me to get my groove back on? Thinking AT/Harriman mostly but wondering if there are any other hidden gems for short treks.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Is there any real difference between Marmot Jackets and North Face Jackets.

I have never used Marmot, but have a North Face ski jacket I like.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. Marmot has a much more serious outdoor pedigree. They're particularly excellent at down, but also make very good low-end rainwear (for the price). North Face is 'good' but more of a fashion brand.

At the upper end of eithers' range you are probably better off buying from a higher-end company like Arc' or Mammut.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

I'm putting together food for This AT hike restart, and I've gone full retard and bought into the freezer bag cooking thing.

Not speaking from experience here, but your recipes seem to be missing some olive oil. Just stir it in after rehydration. It tastes nice, it makes the food a bit more creamy, it has a very good weight to calorie ratio and it helps keep things moving in the doodoo department.

If you're unsure about how much water to add, there are some websites with FBC recipes. Just find some that are similar to what you will be bringing and check how much water they are recommending. You could also do some test runs at home.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

theroachman posted:

Not speaking from experience here, but your recipes seem to be missing some olive oil. Just stir it in after rehydration. It tastes nice, it makes the food a bit more creamy, it has a very good weight to calorie ratio and it helps keep things moving in the doodoo department.

If you're unsure about how much water to add, there are some websites with FBC recipes. Just find some that are similar to what you will be bringing and check how much water they are recommending. You could also do some test runs at home.

Not to mention that a little fat is important for metabolizing certain nutrients. You can use other oils or butter or whatever but I think olive oil is the best (and tastiest and healthiest) choice. Just always make sure there's at least a little bit of lipid in your food :eng101:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

250 calories per oz hell yeah chug that poo poo

No really, it's actually a good idea to chug some olive oil before bed on cold nights to help keep you feeling warmer.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Here is some good discussion on it:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33949

Note that you can also bring 'hard' cheese which includes stuff like cheddar and swiss cheese as well. The discussion regarding bears is a good thing to note.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

No really, it's actually a good idea to chug some olive oil before bed on cold nights to help keep you feeling warmer.
The gently caress is wrong witchoo. How can you not figure out how to work that stuff into your dinner.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
To stay warm at night, spend a year dousing your three times a day pizza meal with olive oil and bulking up to 450 lbs.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Just piss in your empty nalgene and cuddle it for warmth.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'm putting together food for This AT hike restart, and I've gone full retard and bought into the freezer bag cooking thing.

If you want to be a real cheap rear end and not buy the books, just hit https://www.freezerbagcooking.com at the internet archive and pick a date from a couple years ago when they still had all their recipes posted online.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071013142532/http://freezerbagcooking.com/

One of the guys on our Big Bend trip played with some of these recipes. The turkey stuffing recipe was loving outstanding, but the couscous was a mixed bag, so to speak. I just brought some packets of tuna and just-add-water mashed potatoes in various flavors. Small, flat, cheap, and easy.

EDIT: If you want to go on the extreme side and maximize your calories-to-weight ratio, you can do as Ras Vaughan did on his 6x Grand Canyon crossing and bring almond butter and coconut manna.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Speleothing posted:

One problem with shot blox is that below freezing they harden up and get difficult to eat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Keldoclock posted:

One problem with shot blox is that below freezing they harden up and get difficult to eat.

Sounds like it turns into a gummy lozenge

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Marmot PreCip is the gold standard for relatively cheap rain jacket. North Face stuff is pretty much "fine." The one thing they make that critics, reviewers seem to like is the Thermoball stuff that you can find on clearance at times for as low as $100-$130. On the other end, the Denali fleece jacket-- probably the most popular brand name fleece jacket in the world-- is the worst reviewed jacket in that class over on OutdoorGearLab. College students fail to both pick their school or their fall jackets based on value per dollar (aside from the social signaling the brand name provides). I approached my evaluation of gear from the viewpoint of a traveler who wanted to pack light and efficient, but for the most part all those brand names are in the same range of quality with some specific pieces of gear within brands doing things measurably better than others. For me, fit was the most important thing which is dependent on the individual item, not really the brand. Speleothing has it right that if you're super rich, you would just buy the higher end brands. It's like, some people buy the top video card, and other people buy the third best video card which provides 80% of the performance at 40% of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Fleece is fleece is fleece. Your 5$ wallie world jacket will perform basically the same as your 200$ North Face jacket, and was probably made in the same factory.

North Face used to make nice stuff, but then they realized people would pay obscene sums to have NF branded clothes, so they basically ditched any real attention/products they had devoted to outdoorsy pursuits.