Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Modus Operandi posted:

Who is going to be cast as Fu Manchu.

Christopher Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Xealot posted:

What if they cast a half-white, half-Asian guy as Iron Fist? Does it neutralize the problem or double it?

Johnny Yong Bosch is: The Iron Fist

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Modus Operandi posted:

It'll be Ken Watanabe. It's always Ken Watanabe.

"But, he's Japanese!" you might say. Too bad. If you want a wizened Asian man who lives in some sort of vaguely pan-Asian pagoda castle...you call Ken Watanabe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Modus Operandi posted:

Here's another piece to the MU puzzle that hasn't been solved yet until now.

I believe we can stop the brainstorming now folks I think this is the best and most obvious choice right here:

"Why herro mistah I-lon fist what an un-expected suh-pris-ah."

Nah I want him as Bullseye.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Xealot posted:

It'll be Ken Watanabe. It's always Ken Watanabe.

"But, he's Japanese!" you might say. Too bad. If you want a wizened Asian man who lives in some sort of vaguely pan-Asian pagoda castle...you call Ken Watanabe.

Too serious and asian.

Walter Goggins is the only appropriate choice for this type of role.

Just have him do a combo of Boyd Crowder/Venus Van Damme/Fu Manchu and call it a day.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Modus Operandi posted:

I believe we can stop the brainstorming now folks I think this is the best and most obvious choice right here:

"Why herro mistah I-lon fist what an un-expected suh-pris-ah."

Goggins is amazing in everything but honestly? He would be a better Jessica Jones or Elektra.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Goggins is amazing in everything but honestly? He would be a better Jessica Jones or Elektra.

Sold. This would satisfy the need for transgender representation on film too.

You can't have one without the other. Of course you need the love interest:

"Jessica.. hmm let's go back to the clubhouse. The rest of the heroes for hire will be away for awhile..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Raserys posted:

If he were 10 years younger, that might actually be an idea.

Steve Yun posted:

As an Asian™, I grant permission to Marvel to cast a white person as an expert in Asian martial arts.

edit: In return I will expect Asians to be granted license to play experts in doing White People Things, like shooting guns

Cool. James Woo, professional shooter of guns and wearer of suits, coming soon to Netflix!

Modus Operandi posted:

Who is going to be cast as Fu Manc-

Nic Cage. I don't care what other points you have, the answer is Nic Cage.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Phylodox posted:

Nothing they do will help. There will be outcry no matter what. The best thing they can do is just ignore it and hope the show is good enough that people stop caring.
This is a silly response. Not all outcry should be treated with the same gravity, and if there's going to be outcry either way, then the better option is going to be the one that A) doesn't add yet another white male hero to an actual litany of white male MCU heroes, and B) gets the greatest number of racist people angry.

I know people don't mean it this way but, to be honest, all this talk about how very racist it is to make an Asian character good at kung fu just sounds like so much concern-trolling. Ask fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender whether it was less racist to make their kung fu fighting heroes white instead of Asian in the film adaptation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Should be an African dude instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't matter what race Iron Fist is, that's not the racist part you weirdos.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

This is a silly response. Not all outcry should be treated with the same gravity, and if there's going to be outcry either way, then the better option is going to be the one that A) doesn't add yet another white male hero to an actual litany of white male MCU heroes, and B) gets the greatest number of racist people angry.

I know people don't mean it this way but, to be honest, all this talk about how very racist it is to make an Asian character good at kung fu just sounds like so much concern-trolling. Ask fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender whether it was less racist to make their kung fu fighting heroes white instead of Asian in the film adaptation.

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that asian, indian, or middle eastern males matter one bit in american society. That's just the current social climate in the U.S. at the moment. Real talk: It's all about the money. The audience demographic wants to see white guy karate so there will be white guy karate with probably an asian female love interest and oriental sifu who gets killed at some point.

Simple as that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Modus Operandi posted:

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that asian, indian, or middle eastern males matter one bit in american society. That's just the current social climate in the U.S. at the moment. Real talk: It's all about the money. The audience demographic wants to see white guy karate so there will be white guy karate with probably an asian female love interest and oriental sifu who gets killed at some point.

Simple as that.
:colbert: Well, I know that. Doesn't mean it's defensible or not lovely.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

:colbert: Well, I know that. Doesn't mean it's defensible or not lovely.

Yes, it's lovely and I find liberals to be completely hypocritical about it as well but here are the issues with this kind of activism..

It doesn't do anything because the business incentives to keep certain themes alive will trump any sort of social fairness.

It also keeps up a certain victim complex which is self defeating in the long run. It's simply not a healthy way to view the world or your place in it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Raserys posted:

Okay, I could see that.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, as long as they just cast a good fit for the role it doesn't matter. The only really important bits in his origin are that a. he's an outsider and foreigner, and at least somewhat unwelcome in K'un Lun, and b. he's from a rich, probably American family. You could do that with an asian-american, sure, but it's pretty silly to do that to avoid calls of racism and for no other reason. I'd care more about getting a really good lead than making sure he's the right race. Hell, he could be Latino for all I care, it would certainly be funny to see the reactions to it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Modus Operandi posted:

Empire did really well, I really kinda doubt this. I mean Hollywood and European racism is a Thing but I think Netflix or tv series are now exempt from this mostly.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Empire did really well, I really kinda doubt this. I mean Hollywood and European racism is a Thing but I think Netflix or tv series are now exempt from this mostly.

Empire is black. Black and to a lesser extent latino males generally don't have issues in Hollywood these days.

It's all the other minorities that aren't really represented at all.

Like I said it's more about business. There's a big consumer demographic for black media in the U.S. that spills into white mainstream audiences too with the exception of Tyler Perry stuff.

There's zero business incentive to cast the "other" category.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 23, 2015

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Raserys posted:

I would unironically love this. I mean there's already Power Rangers actors in Daredevil and Jessica Jones!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Just watching Daredevil now and am surprised at how good it is. Perhaps some bitter aftertaste from the movie. Anyhow, D'Onofrio is a really good Fisk. I'm kind of surprised at how sympathetic he's portraying the character to be rather than just generic evil dude.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Raserys posted:

This would make up for not living in a world where Troy Baker isn't Hawkeye (except in cartoons)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Honestly, as long as they just cast a good fit for the role it doesn't matter. The only really important bits in his origin are that a. he's an outsider and foreigner, and at least somewhat unwelcome in K'un Lun, and b. he's from a rich, probably American family. You could do that with an asian-american, sure, but it's pretty silly to do that to avoid calls of racism and for no other reason. I'd care more about getting a really good lead than making sure he's the right race. Hell, he could be Latino for all I care, it would certainly be funny to see the reactions to it.

It's be hilarious to have the dude be Japanese or Vietnamese or some other Asian culture with vast nationalist and racial tensions to fill out that foreigner bit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

I would unironically love this. I mean there's already Power Rangers actors in Daredevil and Jessica Jones!

Which ones? I didn't notice any.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

greatn posted:

Which ones? I didn't notice any.

What if Fisk and Wesley were Bulk and Skull

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Vladimir is the rhino ranger in Jungle Fury.

"Is good morpher for slaying man in mask."

And this guy is in Jessica Jones:

Doggles fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 23, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, they'd have been called Eugene Wesley and Wilson Farkas.

"You know, I was never a religious man, but one story always stuck out to me. A young Triforian was traveling from Mirinoi to Earth, when he was beset upon by a great bulk, slowing down his pyramid ship and making him unable to move. An aquitian passed by, and seeing the situation believed it was best to not become involved. Next there was a group of rangers from KO-35, but they were on an important mission, and could not afford to stop and help the man. Then passed by a sniveling alien named Piggy, whom no one trusted. But this alien stopped and tended to the triforian's wounds, gave him noodles from his food truck, and took him to the planet Onyx, where he gave the bartender all of his money to bring him back to good health.

I used to think I was Piggy, but no, I've... recently come to accept the truth about myself. I'm not Piggy. I'm not the rangers... I'm not the triforian. I AM THE BULK, and this city will know, when I have beset upon it! "

One year later Wilson Farkas' trial ends in a not guilty verdict thanks to jury intimidation.

"Ahhhhh, after ten thousand hours I'm free! It's time to conquer Manhattan!"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Please tell me how this Blake rear end in a top hat gets his because he's a real b-hole.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've already said this thread is NOT going to turn into a giant debate on race in regards to Iron Fist and it's casting or any of that mess. If you want to talk about the show, the actors, and the plots that's fine but if you want to discuss other matters in regards to that can of worms it's not going to be in this thread or whatever version of it exists when Iron Fist starts going.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At least we all agree that Nic Cage could play any role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Except Ghost Rider!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Except Ghost Rider!

Well I don't know how close he was to comic book Ghost Rider, but I thought he was fun in the second movie.

Edit: HE'S SCRAPIN' AT THE DOOOOOOOR

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 23, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How about just going elsewhere to cast Iron Fist? Like, India has a history of martial arts, incredible martial artists, or Thailand or any number of places with fun as gently caress martial arts. Maybe it just means you end up offending two cultures when he heads off to mystical not-china anyway, but it's not yet another white dude and it's maybe not playing to stereotype quite as much.

^^^ Apologies, missed that post, dropping subject.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 23, 2015

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Deadpool posted:

I've already said this thread is NOT going to turn into a giant debate on race in regards to Iron Fist and it's casting or any of that mess. If you want to talk about the show, the actors, and the plots that's fine but if you want to discuss other matters in regards to that can of worms it's not going to be in this thread or whatever version of it exists when Iron Fist starts going.

Personally I would be quite happy to not have minimal ninjas in this thing just because they were such a 90s thing and it still feels a little too close to the "Real Ultimate Power" days.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Skeesix posted:

Personally I would be quite happy to not have minimal ninjas in this thing just because they were such a 90s thing and it still feels a little too close to the "Real Ultimate Power" days.

There's no way they won't do completely crazy ninja poo poo. Already, our first insight into that world is a magical Chinese woman from a kung fu dimension who hadoukened Daredevil into a wall. And a demon inside a child-monk. And a ripped karate guy with patterned scars all over his back in some sort of secret temple.

Daredevil is a blind martial artist who fought a yakuza ninja in a Shinobi costume. The fight ended by setting the ninja on fire. That's how these shows introduced the premise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But consider this...

Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Xealot posted:

There's no way they won't do completely crazy ninja poo poo. Already, our first insight into that world is a magical Chinese woman from a kung fu dimension who hadoukened Daredevil into a wall. And a demon inside a child-monk. And a ripped karate guy with patterned scars all over his back in some sort of secret temple.

Daredevil is a blind martial artist who fought a yakuza ninja in a Shinobi costume. The fight ended by setting the ninja on fire. That's how these shows introduced the premise.

Yeah, I don't really see how they can get away from having ninjas being ninjas. After all, the Frank Miller comic version of Daredevil kind of helped establish the Law of Inverse Ninjas.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 23, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't understand what the problem is? The Ninja's are too Ninjery?

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I don't understand what the problem is? The Ninja's are too Ninjery?

The zeitgeist has moved on from ninjas. They should be zombies now to keep up with trends.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Zombies are so dunzo. It's all about frankensteins now. Sexy, sexy frankensteins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

The zeitgeist has moved on from ninjas. They should be zombies now to keep up with trends.

They are that too, kinda. The Hand is filled with ninjas raised from the dead. See, they get you coming AND going.