Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Truga posted:

It will in theory.

In reality, the developers will just ramp up the draw calls instead and your old multicore machine will still run the game like poo poo. And no older games are ever getting ported to dx12, because that'd take :effort:

Yeah, I thought as much :sigh:. At least it might lower the minimum requirements ceiling on future games? Not in the sense of "Go bust out your old 64 X2s", but rather that DX12 will allow system to age more gracefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, I thought as much :sigh:. At least it might lower the minimum requirements ceiling on future games? Not in the sense of "Go bust out your old 64 X2s", but rather that DX12 will allow system to age more gracefully.

I see it as pretty much giving you more leeway to upgrade a GPU without worrying about needing to upgrade your CPU at the same time to avoid a bottleneck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NaDy posted:

I haven't been able to play GTA V reliably on PC so far because of a weird error that I'm getting, it crashes the game and comes up with a message titled "ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT" and it says something about failed initialisation. I've googled it and seems like theres a steam thread and a rockstar support thread about it but the only suggestions are to downclock your card - which I tried with no luck - and reinstall the game, also with no luck.

It's fairly frustrating, since it has GFX in the error I'm assuming its graphics related but I have no idea what it would be. It's happening on my i5 3570k with an Asus 980. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

Turn off Shadowplay and see if this stops.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NaDy posted:

I haven't been able to play GTA V reliably on PC so far because of a weird error that I'm getting, it crashes the game and comes up with a message titled "ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT" and it says something about failed initialisation. I've googled it and seems like theres a steam thread and a rockstar support thread about it but the only suggestions are to downclock your card - which I tried with no luck - and reinstall the game, also with no luck.

It's fairly frustrating, since it has GFX in the error I'm assuming its graphics related but I have no idea what it would be. It's happening on my i5 3570k with an Asus 980. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

By chance do you use any Chrome desktop apps like the Google Hangouts app? Try moving them to another monitor or closing them entirely.

I was getting this pretty regularly, usually when I'd go to right click to aim at something, but I haven't had it since moving Hangouts over to another monitor. I'm not sure if it was directly related, I only did it because occasionally Hangouts would decide it wanted to be on top and I'd magically end up in windowed mode.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was able to almost max everything but if I was right on the border, Shadow play would crash me when I tried to record.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

KakerMix posted:

Turn off Shadowplay and see if this stops.

Nah it's definitely not this, I never have shadowplay or any other recording software going or even installed. People with AMD cards are getting this issue too.

wolrah posted:

By chance do you use any Chrome desktop apps like the Google Hangouts app? Try moving them to another monitor or closing them entirely.

I was getting this pretty regularly, usually when I'd go to right click to aim at something, but I haven't had it since moving Hangouts over to another monitor. I'm not sure if it was directly related, I only did it because occasionally Hangouts would decide it wanted to be on top and I'd magically end up in windowed mode.

Nope I don't have any of those apps. Such a weird bug.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I spend a huge amount of my day staring at a computer screen. As such I want to buy an IPS 2560 x 1440 monitor soon. I don't play games a lot, but when I do I like them to not run like poo poo. I currently have an AMD 7970--more or less equivalent to the current 280x. While fine for HD content, it will be over matched at 2k.

My power supply is a high end 750w. With that in mind, would it be more cost efficient to buy another 280x and crossfire, or switch over to the more efficient GTX 970 and pray prices go down so I can buy a second? Is waiting for new and shiny worthwhile e.g. DX 12 enabled stuff? Also, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but diagnosing system crashes, 90% of them on my machine have been due to AMD drivers; are NV's any better?

Thanks for any advice.

NaDy posted:

I have an AMD card and the exact same problem. Many others do as well. Some people have had luck switching to DX10 mode or disabling certain settings (as stated above, shadowplay, for instance). For me, I can play longer without a crash with less intensive settings but it will still go down given an hour or so.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yudo posted:

I spend a huge amount of my day staring at a computer screen. As such I want to buy an IPS 2560 x 1440 monitor soon. I don't play games a lot, but when I do I like them to not run like poo poo. I currently have an AMD 7970--more or less equivalent to the current 280x. While fine for HD content, it will be over matched at 2k.

My power supply is a high end 750w. With that in mind, would it be more cost efficient to buy another 280x and crossfire, or switch over to the more efficient GTX 970 and pray prices go down so I can buy a second? Is waiting for new and shiny worthwhile e.g. DX 12 enabled stuff? Also, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but diagnosing system crashes, 90% of them on my machine have been due to AMD drivers; are NV's any better?

Thanks for any advice.

I have an IPS 2560 x 1440 and ran it and a secondary 1920x1200 no problem on a 7970. What are you concerned it wont be able to run?

I switched to a gtx 970 when my 7970 failed after many years of heavy work. Its not a crazy step up in power but its way more stable.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I am :downs: for just noticing this, but why's my GPU Boost 2.0 disabled for my bottom card in SLI? I switched the two around today and again, bottom card just sticks to stock clock under load. According to GPU-Z, anyways.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I just got the 970 I bought from Amazon the other day. I'm guessing we will be sent our codes for free witcher 3 closer to release date?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

loudog999 posted:

I just got the 970 I bought from Amazon the other day. I'm guessing we will be sent our codes for free witcher 3 closer to release date?

It takes a few days for them to show up. If they do not just contact online chat, they were able to provide me mine.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I think mine took about a week after delivery.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FYI, NVIDIA released their GTA V Graphics & Performance Guide, and as you'd expect with so many graphics settings, the article is absolutely massive. It gives nice comparison shots of all the different technologies at work if Eurogamer's piece from earlier today wasn't enough.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The highlight from that is that Ambient Occlusion currently does absolutely nothing at the moment.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That and that grass eats your framerate more than 8x MSAA does.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man Digital Foundry articles are a bit of a mixed bag, when they're doing technical analysis they're great but at other times they're recommending a fx-8350 for futureproofing.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

I have an IPS 2560 x 1440 and ran it and a secondary 1920x1200 no problem on a 7970. What are you concerned it wont be able to run?

I switched to a gtx 970 when my 7970 failed after many years of heavy work. Its not a crazy step up in power but its way more stable.

I imagine everything I want to play would run at that resolution, just that I would have to use less detailed settings. The game that comes to mind is the "Witcher 3," given the rather high end recommended setup. It's rare that I have time or interest to play anything though that series I have enjoyed. I may just run it on my old LCD: most of the cards in the $300 range don't offer enough over the 7970 to be worth it and I have mixed feelings regarding buying a 280x to crossfire.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think a 970 is still a pretty substantial upgrade over a 7970: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1032?vs=1355 most 2560 * 1440 benches show at least a 20 fps bump depending on the game, some much more.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
It should feel like an upgrade anyways. I briefly had a 280X before my 290 and there was a noticeable difference in performance at maxed settings. I didn't get exact FPS differences, but stuff like Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 2, and Tomb Raider just ran better at the same or higher settings. A 7970 to a 970 would likely be more drastic, especially for Witcher 3 if the last two games' performance requirements are anything to go on - probably worth picking one up if that's the game you're waiting for.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

loudog999 posted:

I got mine this morning- 6 days after I placed my order for the card.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I think a 970 is still a pretty substantial upgrade over a 7970: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1032?vs=1355 most 2560 * 1440 benches show at least a 20 fps bump depending on the game, some much more.

cisco privilege posted:

It should feel like an upgrade anyways. I briefly had a 280X before my 290 and there was a noticeable difference in performance at maxed settings. I didn't get exact FPS differences, but stuff like Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 2, and Tomb Raider just ran better at the same or higher settings. A 7970 to a 970 would likely be more drastic, especially for Witcher 3 if the last two games' performance requirements are anything to go on - probably worth picking one up if that's the game you're waiting for.

Thanks for giving me something to think about. The question will be if it's worth it to crossfire vs. moving on to a new card; I will have to do some research.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Yudo posted:

Thanks for giving me something to think about. The question will be if it's worth it to crossfire vs. moving on to a new card; I will have to do some research.

Basically -never- go multi card unless you already have the single strongest card on the market. There are a few rare occassions where you can get awesome performance using SLI or Xfire, but it's almost always better in the end to just sell the card you are on and buy the newest generation.

Oh, just a quick note, about multi card. I have been playing MW:O for about 2.5 years at this point and have been through a 690, xfire 7970, xfire 290x, sli 970, sli 980 and now my Titan X. The Titan X finally gives me a solid 50-60 (limited to 59 in nvidia) fps now in that game at very high (max) settings at 7880x1440. The SLI 980s couldn't even manage it.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 22, 2015

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
For a cheapskate on a budget, it sounds like the 750 Ti is a totally passable card to play GTA V with, right?

On the other hand, I could shell out for a 960. It's only like $50 more.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ryangs posted:

For a cheapskate on a budget, it sounds like the 750 Ti is a totally passable card to play GTA V with, right?

On the other hand, I could shell out for a 960. It's only like $50 more.

Go hog wild and get the 970, you won't regret it. Mow a few lawns if you need to.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fudzilla has an unconfirmed source saying that 400-series will be 14nm FinFET parts.

Assuming AMD doesn't buy the farm between now and then.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fudzilla has an unconfirmed source saying that 400-series will be 14nm FinFET parts.

Assuming AMD doesn't buy the farm between now and then.

Q3 2017?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

So yeah, Q3 2017.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

I got mine this morning- 6 days after I placed my order for the card.

I emailed and they said by the 25th. I feel silly since I work for Amazon and all, I guess Witcher 3 is turning me into a huge gaming baby.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Color me an optimist, but 14 nm TSMC, GloFo is shaping up to be less of a cluster gently caress than 20nm. It is also 14 nm in name only.

I don't care who pulls off a 14nm GPU, I just want more polygons, drat it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I don't think we're gonna see massive delays on the 14nm stuff, 28nm is absolutely at its limits now and I can't see AMD or Nvidia waiting two full years to update their GPU lines. I think 20nm planar was just a clusterfuck because they thought it would work ok for higher TDP parts and it turns out they were wrong, we already know that 14nm FinFET can provide good performance.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

Oh, just a quick note, about multi card. I have been playing MW:O for about 2.5 years at this point and have been through a 690, xfire 7970, xfire 290x, sli 970, sli 980 and now my Titan X. The Titan X finally gives me a solid 50-60 (limited to 59 in nvidia) fps now in that game at very high (max) settings at 7880x1440. The SLI 980s couldn't even manage it.

Bold mine. I think there's your problem. MWO is a piece of poo poo software. If you check their forums, tons of people there have problems with it, people without sli too. And crossfire/sli is not even officially supported.

On the other hand, lately I've been playing gw2/ff14 mostly, and the difference between crossfire off/on in ff14 is 25-35 and 50-60 fps, and in gw2 I go from ~35 minimum to an almost constant 60. And this is on two 6950s. That's over 4 years old now? I'm sure newer stuff works even better.

IMO, it's very silly to base your experience on one game and then generalize, because it'll never paint the right picture. Instead, just check the numbers on the internets for the games you play, decide based on that. If I was playing mostly MWO I'd probably ditch crossfire too. But not everyone does.

It sucks that sli/crossfire isn't supported in your game, but that's just one game out of many. I get craptons of mileage out of my CF setup, and 99% of the time games that don't support it don't need it either. And if they do need CF at my resolution and don't support it, they can go gently caress themselves, frankly.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 23, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are there any rules as to when price drops occur? Wondering if there is a near future where the AU$700-800 GTX980 drops to $400-$500

Also, why is updating ATI drivers such a pain in the rear end. I format my PC, download the "auto detect my GPU drivers" tool, download the recommendation and an error pops up when I go to install them. So annoying.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Usually price drops as the ~next gen~ hits from whichever side.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Titan X is obviously pretty new but when is the "next gen" expected from each team?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, nvidia's next gen was the 900 series, so unless AMD's 300 series is better price/performance, not much will happen to prices. If it's better, nvidia will drop prices.

Same goes for other way around. If nvidia drops something that's better than AMD's current cards, AMD will drop prices to compete.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

xcore posted:

Titan X is obviously pretty new but when is the "next gen" expected from each team?

Expect a 980ti whenever the flagship R390X arrives. It'll be a wait before the succesors arrive.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
To add to that, didn't the 390x get pushed to summer at this point?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

xcore posted:

Are there any rules as to when price drops occur? Wondering if there is a near future where the AU$700-800 GTX980 drops to $400-$500

Also, why is updating ATI drivers such a pain in the rear end. I format my PC, download the "auto detect my GPU drivers" tool, download the recommendation and an error pops up when I go to install them. So annoying.

AMD's auto-detect was always flaky for me as well. I never thought that CCC was that bad either but honestly the current GeForce software is much better laid out and much nicer to use. It's not nearly as cluttered as CCC.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggyolk posted:

Expect a 980ti whenever the flagship R390X arrives. It'll be a wait before the succesors arrive.

Supposedly NVIDIA is building chips right now so I think it'll probably be shipping around Computex when the 390X gets officially announced. I think that'll put the release ahead of the 390X's.

The speculation is that it won't affect existing NVIDIA pricing though - it's meant to slot between the 980 and the Titan X both in terms of performance and retail cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

To add to that, didn't the 390x get pushed to summer at this point?

Yep, reveal in early June, which probably means July/August for buying?