Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Please don't stop posting about the cool tank game

Yep, I've been playing this on and off in the evenings and its great, even though I'm terrible at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Lprsti99 posted:

If you're warning people that there's a sale so they don't buy the game at full price the day before, you are A Good Person.

No I was just th-- oh poo poo what's this

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/roguelike?snr=1_4_4__40_1

:vince::vince::vince:

faek edit bonus cheapass roguelike alart :siren:

https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ64qIlkoM0

:cmon:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
drat, son, they didn't even ask if Sproggiwood wanted to be in it. :colbert:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

They are steadfast in their wrongness.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I like that Paranautical Activity is back on Steam as the "Deluxe Atonement" edition. This is the game whose developer threatened to kill Gabe. The rights were completely sold off to another distributor before they got back on Steam in February.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Just tried out necrodancer zone 4. Game of the decade.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Unormal posted:

good because i bought it three days ago

edit: and now I am also a dungeonmanser

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 23, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Area 3 in Necrodancer still feels ridiculously hard

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

victrix posted:

It's way easier if you get there through all-areas mode since you start mostly equipped.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's way easier if you get there through all-areas mode since you start mostly equipped.

How does that mode work if you kick the bucket? Restart from act 1?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

victrix posted:

How does that mode work if you kick the bucket? Restart from act 1?

All-Areas mode used to be called Hardcore.
So yep, you have to do all four zones, four bosses, and the final boss in one go. You carry over equipment from each area, so that's why Zone 3 tends to be a bit easier; you probably have something stronger than the basic dagger by then.
EDIT: It is a bit easier than it once was, since Cadence starts with three hearts instead of two.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Goddamn. A roguelike sale is like my heroin.

I now own Neo scavenger and Bionic Dues. :flashfap:

Edit: More of the story of a tank and his pilot roguelike please.

As a point of trivia, madjackmcmad is Dungeonman's one of the few games (including rpgs and boardgames) that actually has a retirement mechanic? The only other game I can think of that has one is the roguelike Prospector.

Unormal is there anything consumers can do to remind steam that Sproggiwood is a roguelike? Write guides for Steam or something?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 23, 2015

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

victrix posted:

Zone 3 is a tiny bit easier (or at least less bullshit) as of a couple updates ago. They added some logic to cut back on the near-impossible swarms that sometimes happened when you would enter a level.

Zone 4 is totally nuts. I'm starting to get the hang of it but there's a lot of new stuff to learn. Everything seems much crisper and smoother graphics-wise as well. Also there are apparently 2 completely new soundtracks for the game! Haven't tried them yet.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Unormal is there anything consumers can do to remind steam that Sproggiwood is a roguelike? Write guides for Steam or something?

:shrug: We're going to go on self-sale shortly to go along with the mobile release anyhow, so no big.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

How good is Sunless Sea?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It's good if you like story and world-building -- the combat is definitely not going to be much to write home about. I like the whole "CYOA with stats" thing it had going on.

If you do get it, it's worth it to look up how to tweak the game to be a bit more forgiving in terms of fuel and food consumption. I had a pretty dull time desperately trying to scrape together enough fuel to get somewhere actually new and interesting until I changed it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i lost nearly all motivation to try it after reading the thread during early access

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's fun if you cheat so you have infinite money/fuel/supplies, otherwise it's a horrible grind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If it's anything like Fallen London it's a great setting (by videogame standards), desperately waiting for someone who actually knows how to make a game to do something with it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Im_Special posted:

Late but here is my copy of it. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup v0.16.0

Thx dude. When I wrote that I didn't realize there was a crawl specific thread already so I headed over there, and then got caught up with non-buggy crawl. Will still check it out though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Quick! Everyone reccomend RLs in that list that you own and would highly reccomend! Because Honestly I've heard a lot of bad things about a lof of the titles in that list.

I'd personally suggest FTL, which is retardedly cheap at $2.50 for the polish and content. Basically fly-your-own Enterprise and get wrecked in encounters/fights.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FTL is good but you will get hosed by the RNG sometimes

Easily worth it for 2.5 though dang

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One Way Heroics is 1.18, also easily worth the price

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure One Way Heroics has been cheaper and the summer sale isn't far off. But it's not like cheaper than a buck 18 is going to affect your wallet much.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my favorites from that list: isaac, teleglitch, crypt, ftl, hero siege, dead ninjas, risk of rain, spelunky, tome. yea i like tome deal with it

some of the others are ok too

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
there's no reason for anyone not to have FTL at the cost of a hamburger.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Never pay for ToME. It's meh and the pay content is stupid and overpowered.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 24, 2015

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Awesome! posted:

my favorites from that list: isaac, teleglitch, crypt, ftl, hero siege, dead ninjas, risk of rain, spelunky, tome. yea i like tome deal with it

some of the others are ok too

Tome is good. This list is good.

Desktop dungeons is more of a puzzle game but it's fun and there's a ton of content. I'm not sure but I think the steam version gives access to the mobile version as well?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dis astranagant posted:

i honestly don't even know what the pay content is. a goon gave it to me on steam last year and i liked it so much i bought the new dlc just to give the guy a few bucks myself

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Teleglitch is an ultra-lo-fi* survival-horror roguelike bullshit generator. It hits a lot of things I like, but it also does certain baffingly dumb things**. If you're going to play it, I strongly recommend spoiling the hell out of yourself (there's a Let's Play thread, for example) because otherwise you can find yourself spending thirty minutes replaying the first three levels, dying in a few seconds, and learning nothing about what you did wrong.

That said, now that I know how the game works, it's a lot of fun.

* The protagonist sprite is 9 pixels when standing still and 13 when running.
** In particular: there's no non-permadeath option, saves are in the cloud so you can't even manually cheat them, and to get a checkpoint on level N, you have to make it to level N+2, by which point you no longer really need that checkpoint. Basically the designers hold their players in contempt.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Teleglitch is an ok game that doubled down on really lovely looking HDR and distortion effects and some of the worst sprite work I've ever seen.

Bionic Dues is a game of rocket launcher tag where nothing interesting happens so long as you out range all the enemies and you die if you don't. It's also by Arcen and you really shouldn't give them money except for maybe their strategy games.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is another game by lovely developers that don't deserve money. I also haven't heard anything good about it. It is frequently bundle filler.

Magicite has really, really bad combat and just isn't very well designed in general. Bundle filler.

Tower of Guns was nice and had lots of fast movement you don't get in FPSes much anymore. And the guns are mostly neat, even if you really only get to use one of them at a time on most runs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

dis astranagant posted:

ToME is great and extra content is totally worth it, especially at current price.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The extra content is 2 really overpowered reaver but different weapon skills classes and a Shalore but all your skills are single target debuffs instead of passive buffs race. And some new unique items for them. You're just paying to sleepwalk through it that much more. They even prevent those classes from showing up on monsters because they're too broken.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dis astranagant posted:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is another game by lovely developers that don't deserve money. I also haven't heard anything good about it.

It's the only roguelike I've played where it's very easy to end up in a death spiral of slowly degrading equipment and insufficient ammo, but it takes forever to actually die.

there's also (multiple?) crafting systems, all of which are garbage.

it's probably the most unfun roguelike I've played.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
FTL is the goddamn bomb and anyone who says it's too RNG is just bad at FTL. :colbert:

I got gud cause I'm really stupid and for the first 40 hours I had no clue you could pause during combat and I was like like "drat, people are right this poo poo is hard!". I only discovered you could pause and give orders after I was good enough to beat the entire game without pausing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Rogue Legacy is actually pretty good if you like platformers. Kind of grindy but it's $3.74 right now and should at least entertain you for an evening.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

From that list:

One Way Heroics - Charming game, unique concept, light and fast to play.

Dungeonmans - see above, but with more comedy (some really funny item/skill/class descriptions, its a lot less HAHA WHACKY poo poo than Dredmore though). Really fun tactical combat skills. Persistent Academy for all your Dungeonmans and womans, so this is a good option if you struggle with total permadeath.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - Has to be played to be believed. A rhythm roguelike dungeoncrawler that works, seriously.

FTL - I find this game loving infuriating, but it's a good game with a great soundtrack. Explore space with your ship and your crew. Die in space.

Spelunky - Also loving infuriating, also a good game. Hardcore platforming.

Risk of Rain - only loosely roguelike, but a great action/platformer with a ton of fun random items, wonderful soundtrack and cool atmosphere for ~oh god another pixel art indie game~.

That's all I'd recommend from that list, though I've heard good things about NEO Scavenger and Don't Starve, not my kind of games though.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I really liked Magicite, though I hear the online multiplayer can be shaky. NEO Scavenger was probably one of my favorite games of last year; it has an amazing atmosphere and you can get really into roleplaying. Necrodancer's pretty great also, and you don't have to have a super amazing sense of rhythm.

Edit: Super House of Dead Ninjas is also far better than it has any right to be. It's fast as hell and there are a bunch of nice unlocks that give you different weapons and projectiles and stuff.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

It's the only roguelike I've played where it's very easy to end up in a death spiral of slowly degrading equipment and insufficient ammo, but it takes forever to actually die.

This is true but it is one of the reasons I really enjoy Sword of the Stars the Pit. I've bought all of the expansions. You cant just wade in and clear every level without thinking. You have to think tactically about which rooms you may want to avoid vs get loot/skill ups.

With the most recent expansion crafting ammo is more rational. Different tastes.

Sell me on One Way Heroics.

I was disappointed by Teleglitch but I'm not sure if that was an issue I had with the game or my issue with expectation.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Hero Siege is fun as hell. Not very deep or anything, but fun. Very easy to play here and there, perfect if you just want to play a game for a lil bit.