Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

Sell me on One Way Heroics.

Constant rightward scrolling pegged to player motion but not 1:1 means movement is moderately tactical, but not overwhelmingly so. There is a minimap so if you get hosed into a corner you've only got yourself to blame. Never being able to come back and get poo poo forces decisions and discourages hoarding. No super eclectic rules you need to know to play. It's easily worth 5 or 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Unormal posted:

FTL is the goddamn bomb and anyone who says it's too RNG is just bad at FTL. :colbert:

I got gud cause I'm really stupid and for the first 40 hours I had no clue you could pause during combat and I was like like "drat, people are right this poo poo is hard!". I only discovered you could pause and give orders after I was good enough to beat the entire game without pausing.

Pausing to redirect power to engines whenever there's an incoming shot is so loving stupid I started hating the entire game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Klaus Kinski posted:

Pausing to redirect power to engines whenever there's an incoming shot is so loving stupid I started hating the entire game.

Then don't do it. I've had fun FTL games with very little micromanagement.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

my dad posted:

Then don't do it. I've had fun FTL games with very little micromanagement.

It's pretty much required and intended for hard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

Then don't play on hard. Hell, when I play I stick to Easy because I'm more interested in the exploring-the-universe stuff and ordering my little mans around than I am in pushing my skill.

Cephalocidal posted:

Constant rightward scrolling pegged to player motion but not 1:1 means movement is moderately tactical, but not overwhelmingly so. There is a minimap so if you get hosed into a corner you've only got yourself to blame. Never being able to come back and get poo poo forces decisions and discourages hoarding. No super eclectic rules you need to know to play. It's easily worth 5 or 10 bucks.

As a counterpoint, the game is not very deep at all, nor is it especially well-balanced (classes that are good at melee are massively better than classes that aren't). I enjoyed it, but its mechanics are so simple I have trouble recommending it for more than $5. It's a fun little time-waster but not much more. Though it does have charm out the wazoo; it's a very cute game (and very anime).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Klaus Kinski posted:

That you're right about, which is why I avoid playing on hard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dis astranagant posted:

Teleglitch is an ok game that doubled down on really lovely looking HDR and distortion effects and some of the worst sprite work I've ever seen.

Bionic Dues is a game of rocket launcher tag where nothing interesting happens so long as you out range all the enemies and you die if you don't. It's also by Arcen and you really shouldn't give them money except for maybe their strategy games.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is another game by lovely developers that don't deserve money. I also haven't heard anything good about it. It is frequently bundle filler.

Magicite has really, really bad combat and just isn't very well designed in general. Bundle filler.

Tower of Guns was nice and had lots of fast movement you don't get in FPSes much anymore. And the guns are mostly neat, even if you really only get to use one of them at a time on most runs.

Why shouldn't you give your money to Arcen? I'm out of the loop on what they've done wrong, besides not making more strategy games.

As for roguelike content:

- Is Steam Marines any good?

- I loved One Way Heroics, especially given the price. There are ways to make it harder or easier depending on how you play and if you use things like the vault, and which perks you pick for different classes.

- Dungeons of Dredmor is a great roguelike that you've probably already heard of.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why shouldn't you give your money to Arcen? I'm out of the loop on what they've done wrong, besides not making more strategy games.

As for roguelike content:

- Is Steam Marines any good?

- I loved One Way Heroics, especially given the price. There are ways to make it harder or easier depending on how you play and if you use things like the vault, and which perks you pick for different classes.

- Dungeons of Dredmor is a great roguelike that you've probably already heard of.

Pretty much everything Arcen has made after AI War was a hot mess with post release support dropped almost immediately. I hear their latest strategy game might be decent but I wouldn't advise encouraging them to make other games they aren't any good at.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty much everything Arcen has made after AI War was a hot mess with post release support dropped almost immediately. I hear their latest strategy game might be decent but I wouldn't advise encouraging them to make other games they aren't any good at.

I'd disagree; Arcen has a history of long support and tweaks to games. the specifics change from game to game, but I'd say the post-release support has ranged from acceptable to impressive with every game except for Shattered Haven and Tidalis, the latter of which didn't need any.

I wasn't too into Skyward Collapse, but it was updated and tweaked regularly for a while, A Valley Without Wind got so much post-release support they just made a second game and you got it for free, and The Last Federation has got constant QOL and balance updates until a little after the release of the expansion, and they're not done with it yet.

To be honest, I think the post-release stuff is Arcen's whole deal. They usually release a game that COULD have been good, if some stuff was different, and then they keep shaking it up until it's really good.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bionic Dues is pretty cool and has an awesome theme song. It's worth a few bucks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

John Lee posted:

I'd disagree; Arcen has a history of long support and tweaks to games. the specifics change from game to game, but I'd say the post-release support has ranged from acceptable to impressive with every game except for Shattered Haven and Tidalis, the latter of which didn't need any.

I wasn't too into Skyward Collapse, but it was updated and tweaked regularly for a while, A Valley Without Wind got so much post-release support they just made a second game and you got it for free, and The Last Federation has got constant QOL and balance updates until a little after the release of the expansion, and they're not done with it yet.

To be honest, I think the post-release stuff is Arcen's whole deal. They usually release a game that COULD have been good, if some stuff was different, and then they keep shaking it up until it's really good.

Calling AVWW2 a separate game was a sad joke. It was the same turd with extra poo poo no one wanted on top. That whole affair was an unmitigated fiasco.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Bionic dues is a really lovely game and the music is terrible.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Is anyone an IVAN 'expert'? I've made it through the underwater tunnel for the first time (outside of wizmode) due to sheer luck, and I'm wondering what kind of 'ascension kit' I should be trying to assemble to maybe live long enough to die to something cool. My current equipment:
code:
Helmet: ommel bone helmet +1 [AV13]
Amulet: -
Cloak: -
Body Armor: Iron Chain Mail [AV 6]
Belt: Belt of Carrying +1 [AV 3]
Right Hand Wielded: a mithril sickle +3
Left Hand Wielded: an ebony shield
Right Ring: a ring of searching
Left Ring: -
Right Gauntlet: -
Left Gauntlet: - 
Right Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
Left Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
and inventory:
code:
ring of polymorph
2 cans full of troll blood
can full of banana flesh
bottle full of troll blood
2 scrolls of enchant armor
scroll of golem creation
scroll of detect material
scroll of repair
holy book of Legifer
holy book of Atavus
wand of teleportation
wand of mirroring
wand of lightning
wand of polymorph
oil lamp

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Skyward Collapse is pretty great, but falls due to the light content. Insane poo poo happens naturally through gameplay such as these two images. It is impossible to tell what's going on but basically the apocalypse happened and ghosts were created from every dead opponent,and ghosts of ghosts spawned from monsters that were contnually spawning from both sides. You basically play the malevolent deity of different faiths whose only goal is more death and destruction in your name. In other words you build up a conflict that is self perpetuating trying to build an insane mythological arms race where nobody wins and the only outcome is scorched earth.

It's super broken, but I love it.

Not a roguelike but whatever, any excuse to talk about weird games.

Bionic Dues does fall flat but I've had some hours of fun with it.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
One way heroics Plus (which is the original game plus a bunch of new content) released on Playism today, the current release of it has a bad glitch where there is no music which is mostly a problem because it means you get an error popup about it every time there would normally be a music change.

I hope they fix it soon because i had a ton of fun with the original and wouldnt mind playing more of it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

Is anyone an IVAN 'expert'? I've made it through the underwater tunnel for the first time (outside of wizmode) due to sheer luck, and I'm wondering what kind of 'ascension kit' I should be trying to assemble to maybe live long enough to die to something cool. My current equipment:
code:
Helmet: ommel bone helmet +1 [AV13]
Amulet: -
Cloak: -
Body Armor: Iron Chain Mail [AV 6]
Belt: Belt of Carrying +1 [AV 3]
Right Hand Wielded: a mithril sickle +3
Left Hand Wielded: an ebony shield
Right Ring: a ring of searching
Left Ring: -
Right Gauntlet: -
Left Gauntlet: - 
Right Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
Left Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
and inventory:
code:
ring of polymorph
2 cans full of troll blood
can full of banana flesh
bottle full of troll blood
2 scrolls of enchant armor
scroll of golem creation
scroll of detect material
scroll of repair
holy book of Legifer
holy book of Atavus
wand of teleportation
wand of mirroring
wand of lightning
wand of polymorph
oil lamp

You need a belt of levitation. Other than that there's no such thing as an ascension kit, only cheesy ways to postpone your ignoble end in a pool of your own bodily fluids. You also might want to eat your hat.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Clever Spambot posted:

One way heroics Plus (which is the original game plus a bunch of new content) released on Playism today, the current release of it has a bad glitch where there is no music which is mostly a problem because it means you get an error popup about it every time there would normally be a music change.

I hope they fix it soon because i had a ton of fun with the original and wouldnt mind playing more of it.

Holy poo poo I didn't think that would be out for a while. Hope they fix it soon because it looks great.

Bought it anyway because I love OWH

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 24, 2015

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

John Lee posted:

If you think either AVWW game is anywhere in the vicinity of 'good' I question your ability to manage your own wallet.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Update for if anyone decided to hold off, they already patched the music problem in one way heroics plus.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

So, there's a version of OWH that's essentially reskinned as a Mystery Dungeon game coming to PS4. Does anybody know if it has the OWH+ content?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cephalocidal posted:

There is a 1:1 movement setting that might be called "Hardcore" as its own box, that also restricts a few other features.

Helical Nightmares posted:

As a point of trivia, madjackmcmad is Dungeonman's one of the few games (including rpgs and boardgames) that actually has a retirement mechanic? The only other game I can think of that has one is the roguelike Prospector.
Is the retirement mechanic something that deletes your character for a boost in NG+? Elona+ does that with your child inheriting your post-game stuff for a massive early game boost.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Sunless Sea has retirement, setting your affairs in order is a pretty important step in the early game that makes sure your heir can get some of your stuff regardless of how you end the game (retire or die or... others).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I'm pretty sure One Way Heroics has been cheaper and the summer sale isn't far off. But it's not like cheaper than a buck 18 is going to affect your wallet much.
Enhanced Steam says it's been down to 87 cents.

Apparently there's a "Plus" version now too? (But it's not on steam yet) Whoops I wasn't done reading the thread.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 24, 2015

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've tried a lot of different RLs, but nothing has caught me like DoomRL. I hit a wall in DCSS around level 6-7 where everything seems like it's more powerful than I could ever hope to survive. Dredmor has so many options it's staggering, and I can never seem to get past about mid-game. Don't Starve is becoming fun, but I had to look up tutorials just to get to day 4. Never beat FTL, although it's real fun too.

Now I guess what that all means I'd that I'm just really bad at roguelikes. And that's fine. But does anyone have a recommendation for a hand with a difficulty curve similar to DoomRL? An easy mode where you'd have to be retarded to not experience at least 80% of the game, a normal mode where randomness isn't going to kill you outright over maybe 30% of the time?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Quad posted:

I've tried a lot of different RLs, but nothing has caught me like DoomRL. I hit a wall in DCSS around level 6-7 where everything seems like it's more powerful than I could ever hope to survive. Dredmor has so many options it's staggering, and I can never seem to get past about mid-game. Don't Starve is becoming fun, but I had to look up tutorials just to get to day 4. Never beat FTL, although it's real fun too.

Now I guess what that all means I'd that I'm just really bad at roguelikes. And that's fine. But does anyone have a recommendation for a hand with a difficulty curve similar to DoomRL? An easy mode where you'd have to be retarded to not experience at least 80% of the game, a normal mode where randomness isn't going to kill you outright over maybe 30% of the time?

dungeonmans is super approachable but never holds your hand.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Charismatic germaphobe. Dungeonmans is the Howard Hughes of Roguelikes.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 24, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Haven't seen anyone talk about Our Darker Purpose, but I'd say it's worth three bucks if you're a bit tired of Isaac and want something a little different. Be warned though, it being an Isaac clone doesn't mean you can reach nearly the same level of power you do there, it's always pretty hard and it isn't really possible to break the game. I like it, but you need to have a high toleration for dickishness.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was hoping Dungeon of the Endless and 868-HACK would be on the sale list but I guess they aren't :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

andrew smash posted:

Just want to nth a recommendation of Dungeonmans. I was able to jump right in and with a just a little experimentation. I was slayin with my Rangermans instead of going to sleep like I should have. Get it!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked up Desktop Dungeons and I'm doing all right so far but I have a question: is the Dwarven racial ability as bad as it sounds? +1 HP doesn't sound anywhere near as good as +1 MP or +10% Damage

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I have an unhealthy amound of the games on sale already, but I finally bought Dungeonmans, too. Looks good so far, are there any other big updates in the pipeline?

Also, Bionic Dues was planned to be improved by removing the reliance on million loot piece sorting and replacing it with a tech tree, but the lone remaining programmer got yanked off to other projects, so... It's still worth playing if you got it in a bundle, but please, play the short campaign that was patched in quite recently.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Burning Rain posted:

I have an unhealthy amound of the games on sale already, but I finally bought Dungeonmans, too. Looks good so far, are there any other big updates in the pipeline?
I'd like to get a genuine content update in before the Summer sale. Amaranth Pandemonium was a lot of work, there's more to do, and there's some assets I have for a double-secret super boss, we'll see if I can get that rolling.

What I really want to do is get the Psychomanser class into play. I think I'm doing to do some prototyping with his barehanded fighting stuff during tomorrow's stream.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

John Lee posted:

So, there's a version of OWH that's essentially reskinned as a Mystery Dungeon game coming to PS4. Does anybody know if it has the OWH+ content?

It's not by Smoking Wolf sadly, he just agreed to let em use the idea of scrolling. It's hard to say what all it'll include, I doubt much of the things like castle rebuilding and whatnot are gonna be in there. But on the flipside I believe I read it'll have 20ish playable classes that you upgrade over playthroughs. Sadly seeing how the latest Shiren games haven't been released in the states, I'm kinda doubting this will make it over either.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

madjackmcmad posted:

If you haven't bought the game but now you really want to... don't! At least, not until tomorrow. No reason :smug:

Thanks for the heads-up! I'd been looking at it, and this was the impetus to actually snatch it.

Serephina posted:

Quick! Everyone reccomend RLs in that list that you own and would highly reccomend! Because Honestly I've heard a lot of bad things about a lof of the titles in that list.

If you haven't already, get Crypt of the Necrodancer. It sounds weird but it really works, even if you don't have great rhythm.

Spelunky is fun. It's definitely worth four bucks. I find it's a little more obtuse than it should be about its secrets, but it'll give you some fun along the way.

FTL is also a very cool game. Surprisingly chill feel to it in play. Wears a bit thin after you've beaten it a few times, but I got my :10bux: out of it before that, and 75% off is a steal.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Tollymain posted:

I picked up Desktop Dungeons and I'm doing all right so far but I have a question: is the Dwarven racial ability as bad as it sounds? +1 HP doesn't sound anywhere near as good as +1 MP or +10% Damage

Its one of the lesser racial abilities, but its more powerful than it sounds because that's +1 base HP which gets multiplied by a bunch.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
:jerkbag: I'm gonna take a minute to poo poo up this thread with why Roguelikes are so great, this thread rules, we all are rulers, and the game making and playing world needs more of us. Here's what Steam is rocking this weekend for their three bignutt weekend sales:

Grim Greymans in swirling coolsmoke (tm) or, you know, video games. Now don't get me wrong, I loved Skyrim and Mordor-- in fact Mordor was one of the few games in recent memory I actually played all the way through to the last end credit. Those games owned, both of them, and I will play every game you put in front of me about a mighty hero who can break bad upon wave after wave of loot-bearing bad guys. Of loving course.

But look at the wide and wild bullshit under that third sale. Again, for reference:

Don't like dungeons? Go play a game about submarines, or ninjas, or growing old in the snow, whatever. There's still a poo poo ton of games there with unique and flavorful mechanics, vibrant colors, new ideas, and the sort of "oh man, whoa" cool feeling that waited for you when you stumbled into a new arcade, or found some crazyass shareware game, or any of the other gem-discovering methods we used when we were falling for gaming regardless of how you got your fix.

This thread is best thread because you can show up one day and someone's talking about a tank simulator, or IVAN, or Elona, or FTL, or any number of wild ideas held together by the thin and oft-argued standard of "what is a roguelike", to me the answer will always be "a game that belongs in this thread", and I sit smugly upon my tautology.

Please keep finding, playing, jawing about, and making roguelikes.

Also, given the above, maybe I'm marketing Dungeonmans wrong.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah clearly those three tigers should be on the tshirt of a swirly greyfog man, then I would definitely buy dungeonmans.If, y'know, I hadn't got it from the kickstarter.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

dis astranagant posted:

The extra content is 2 really overpowered reaver but different weapon skills classes and a Shalore but all your skills are single target debuffs instead of passive buffs race. And some new unique items for them. You're just paying to sleepwalk through it that much more. They even prevent those classes from showing up on monsters because they're too broken.

There isn't a single correct fact in this post hth

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

madjackmcmad posted:

I'd like to get a genuine content update in before the Summer sale. Amaranth Pandemonium was a lot of work, there's more to do, and there's some assets I have for a double-secret super boss, we'll see if I can get that rolling.

What I really want to do is get the Psychomanser class into play. I think I'm doing to do some prototyping with his barehanded fighting stuff during tomorrow's stream.

Cool, that should be just in time to bring me back after I've burned out, cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I'm assuming it's just because it's still in early access, but I'm kinda dissapointed that darkest dungeon wasn't in the Steam sale.

Unless I've been misled into believing that it's more roguelike-y than it actually is?