Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That actually makes me wonder how many child zombies you have to murder before you stop feeling guilty about it if ever (could have sworn that was something somebody put in somewhere down the line).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

chiefnewo posted:

Is there a description anywhere of how all the different martial arts work and their various brokenness? I've been quite happy with karate and quick-striking zombies to death (was hilarious fun cleaning out a school as waves of child zombies attacked me but apparently my -500 guilt doesn't agree) but would like to try out some of the more interesting ones.

Also what's the easiest way to get lighting in a base beyond finding a handy working terminal? Do I need to wait until I have enough mechanics to build a solar charged headlight box?

You can build light strips with a little electrical skill or you can raid those outdoor type stores for glowsticks. If you want a more permanent and illuminating solution then yeah I think you'll have to make a solar powered light box.

^FakeEdit^: It takes a good long while but you do eventually stop feeling bad about killing child zombies.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

chiefnewo posted:

Also what's the easiest way to get lighting in a base beyond finding a handy working terminal? Do I need to wait until I have enough mechanics to build a solar charged headlight box?

Aside from lucking into an atomic lamp or nightlight, drag a motorbike with a good battery through a window. Hopefully by the time it dies you have enough mechanics to pull a full car battery off another vehicle or fiddle with solar stuff.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

was hilarious fun cleaning out a school as waves of child zombies attacked me but apparently my -500 guilt doesn't agree

After you kill them, eat their candy to feel better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chiefnewo posted:

Read an Electronics book (What's a Transistor, f'rex) then build a lightstrip. It has no radius so you'll need to carry it (or stand on it), but it's incredibly cheap to power and plenty for crafting/reading.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

ducttape posted:

After you kill them, eat their candy to feel better.

I was definitely swimming in candy and soda after the school cleanout, that's for sure :)

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

anyone know what the red asterisk in the top left of the map is?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

ComradePyro posted:

anyone know what the red asterisk in the top left of the map is?
Quest location marker or location of quest giver if you've completed the quest.

Hit shift-M to view your quests.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chiefnewo posted:

A floodlight will output light omnidirectionally. You can strap an alternator to a set of bike pedals to generate electricity (and also just swap out car batteries for free if you want a more standalone light source) or you can fight atomic lamps/nightlights which are perpetual light emitting items.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If you can find an electric car it only takes mechanics 1 and no tools to remove a swappable storage battery.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That actually makes me wonder how many child zombies you have to murder before you stop feeling guilty about it if ever (could have sworn that was something somebody put in somewhere down the line).

its 100

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

chiefnewo posted:

I was definitely swimming in candy and soda after the school cleanout, that's for sure :)

I think it would be loving hilarious if it was possible to kill yourself through tooth rot or something.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It honestly would not surprise me if that sneaks in.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I believe that's already kinda possible, indirectly. Unhealthy food influences your invisible Health stat, and eating a fuckload of it can make you unhealthy and depress your immune system. This can lead to catching the flu or similar. It won't kill you outright, but coughing and puking your guts out and having badly penalized stats will get you pretty loving dead if you round a corner into a really gnarly monster.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

^ Unless you wear a gas mask at all times and become immune to disease.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
But then you have people calling you stalker and telling you to get out of places and that gets old fast.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Million Ghosts posted:

But then you have people calling you stalker and telling you to get out of places and that gets old fast.

Such is life in the Zone.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm going to give this another shot after a weeklong hiatus when I get off work. I've had more luck killing stuff by throwing poo poo at it than any other form of combat, so I'm probably going to stick to throwing weapons this time. What are good, reliable things I can throw at enemies, other than rocks?

e: Also, what would a good build be for a dedicated throwing character? My brain says "dump intelligence, raise perception until the ranged weapon penalty disappears, and put everything else into strength and dexterity".

Tyrone Biggums fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 25, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I'm going to give this another shot after a weeklong hiatus when I get off work. I've had more luck killing stuff by throwing poo poo at it than any other form of combat, so I'm probably going to stick to throwing weapons this time. What are good, reliable things I can throw at enemies, other than rocks?

e: Also, what would a good build be for a dedicated throwing character? My brain says "dump intelligence, raise perception until the ranged weapon penalty disappears, and put everything else into strength and dexterity".

Get a sledge hammer and an emag bionic. Be Thor!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Pointy sticks, wooden/iron javelins, steel spears, throwing axes/knives, fridges and televisions.

I'm only sort of joking about the last two.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Any advice on using mutagen serums? I never got to play around with mutations much, but I'm kinda weary of screwing myself out of a pretty good character. I found 2x slime ones, one ursine, and one called just 'mutagenic serum'. Are they any good, or should I look for better ones? Iirc, mutations don't prevent you from installing CBMs, right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Pointy sticks, wooden/iron javelins, steel spears, throwing axes/knives, fridges and televisions.

I'm only sort of joking about the last two.

There's actually a useful thing you can do with very heavy metal objects (like engines) and the emag bionic. If you pull the object to you and the enemy is in the way they'll get hit by the flying V8 and take a ton of damage.
(The object has to be light enough for you to just pick up, you can't do this trick with road rollers anymore)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

grate deceiver posted:

Any advice on using mutagen serums? I never got to play around with mutations much, but I'm kinda weary of screwing myself out of a pretty good character. I found 2x slime ones, one ursine, and one called just 'mutagenic serum'. Are they any good, or should I look for better ones? Iirc, mutations don't prevent you from installing CBMs, right?

Slime serums have a chance of giving you Genetically Unstable, which causes your character to start mutating on their own without your input or control - basically, unless you are sure you want to turn yourself into a slime creature with likely no going back even with all the purifier in the world be really careful with that one and make sure you have purifier handy in case it's not so good. Granted, if you do go full slime it's quite powerful, but if you're just experimenting there's a potentially really painful period where the slime mutations are far enough along to really dick you over but not quite to the point where they're useful. The ursine serum gives you bear mutations, which of what you have is the safest, and the mutagenic serum is completely random. And yes, CBMs work regardless of mutation but the main kicker of mutations is that they can absolutely prevent you from wearing certain types of gear which is why some foreknowledge of what you're potentially doing to yourself is helpful. On that note, I recommend you look here in the Categories section for a brief overview of the mutation categories - you can just try to cherry pick individual mutations as well but it will take a lot of purifier, different serums, and swearing at your rotten luck to min/max it a lot.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
You can also use slime mutagens to craft more useful mutagens like Alpha and Elfa. The recipes for those two will often turn up in Labs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Step one is to have Robust Genetics. It doubles the chance of you getting a beneficial mutation.
Step two is to have Purifier on hand before doing anything. I recommend finding the books for mutagens and brewing some up for yourself, that way you'll always have plenty.
Step three is to take it slow. Both mutating and purifying are bad for your health, and you'll probably need to take a lot before ending up with a good set of mutations. No need to do it all at once.

Mutating doesn't affect CBMs at this point.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I could be wrong, but my experiments (on myself) have shown that by using purifier serum, you can in fact reverse just about every mutation you gain during the course of the game (can't remove traits you start with).

This doesn't apply to the "Thresholds" which kick in when you mutate along a certain path by a certain amount. As far as I know, once you cross a threshold, you can't un-cross it and remove it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Zombie Grenadiers in the latest experimentals are loving awful. They launch manhacks that'll detonate a bunch of C4 right in your face, seemingly unendingly.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is that what happened to me? And here I thought Shocker Brutes were BS.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

The Lone Badger posted:

Step one is to have Robust Genetics. It doubles the chance of you getting a beneficial mutation.
Step two is to have Purifier on hand before doing anything. I recommend finding the books for mutagens and brewing some up for yourself, that way you'll always have plenty.
Step three is to take it slow. Both mutating and purifying are bad for your health, and you'll probably need to take a lot before ending up with a good set of mutations. No need to do it all at once.

Mutating doesn't affect CBMs at this point.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say I have Robust, but good point on the purifier. I'd better hold out a bit.

How abot starting a game with a Robust/Unstable/Radiogenic/Radioactive combo? Looks like it could lead to some amazing and/or hilarious things, but I haven't managed to get a char very far with it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Don't forget to strip your gear off and set it aside before you start playing roulette with your genetics. It's a simple, but easy to forget, thing that can save you some heartache.

EDIT: Radiogenic can only keep you alive with minor radioactivity, you'll eventually succumb to anything more. Unless there's been a buff to it that I'm unaware of.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 26, 2015

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Or just savescum all the good mutations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

berzerker posted:

Or just savescum all the good mutations.
This is what I always end up doing, no matter my original intentions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Side effects of mutation may include: being a furry.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Or an elf. Mutations are pretty weird. Much like the rest of the game.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Tyrone Biggums posted:

With throwing, you loose accuracy is an item has more volume than 5 and more weight than 1/4 your strength

The formula for base damage is (Weight+1/2 Items melee damage+1/2 player strength)/(2+1/4 items volume), but capping out at Weight/0.09

Throwing skill only affects how accurate you are. Up to 3, each skill point is worth 1 dex point, 4-7 is worth 0.5 dex each, the jump to 8 skill becomes worth 2.5 dex, and each point after that is worth 1 dex

As for items, lawn darts, various forms of knifes, wooden javelins, pointy sticks

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

ducttape posted:

As for items, lawn darts, various forms of knifes, wooden javelins, pointy sticks
Small engines (sub-1 liter) are also surprisingly effective.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Do emags count as throwing? Can I yoyo stuff?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Holy poo poo, the charge rifle plus the CBM that counts as a UPS is hilarious, you can just walk down the street and loving blow up zombies like its no big deal. Only downside is im still deaf two days later.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Holy poo poo, the charge rifle plus the CBM that counts as a UPS is hilarious, you can just walk down the street and loving blow up zombies like its no big deal. Only downside is im still deaf two days later.
Yeah, the UPS CBM is great generally. Listen to music indefinitely without worrying about carrying batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, once you get that you can just jam to an Ipod 24/7. Also it pairs really well with the A7, which is probably my favorite weapon, energy or not. Burst fire all day every day.