Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

From what we've seen, these people NOT liking you means you're A-OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yeah I love Shirin and think she's getting an amazing edit... If she somehow sneaks through to the end and Mike gets voted out, there's four locked in jury votes already awaiting her. Depending on which of the morons she's sitting next to, it's not hard to imagine that she can still win.

That said, I just can't see how she possibly survives that far.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I like Shirin and I'm rooting for her but let's not forget earlier in the season when she was getting the "is she more annoying than Max?" edit. They were not kind to her early on.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I love the idea of everyone taking her along as an obvious goat, not realizing that along the way they've made themselves utterly detestable.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

BGrifter posted:

I like Shirin and I'm rooting for her but let's not forget earlier in the season when she was getting the "is she more annoying than Max?" edit. They were not kind to her early on.

fabio's edit early in nicaragua was about how he was a bumbling idiot, so i don't think the early edit really means anything.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Fabio was a bumbling idiot all the way to the win, though.

Shirin could win with her lovable weirdo edit, most likely if Dan gets blown up about his advantage and switches back to Team Mike, and they get out a hitter like Carolyn or Tyler. I keep hoping for poo poo like that this season and am always disappointed.

Survivor: rear end in a top hat Edition, what a terrible crop of fuckers we have left. There's a really narrow margin to avoid having the worst final 5/4/3 in the show's history. I'm surprised Vince didn't last longer, he was the third misogynist musketeer with Dan and Rodney. Carolyn's eyes never stop rolling, Tyler seems quietly judgy, Will's shittiness was firmly established last episode, and that leaves Sierra, Mike, and Shirin as the only remotely decent people left. Sierra so far is a strategic zero, so that leaves Shirin and Mike to salvage the season.

I've ways been pro-Shirin, she's hilarious. Mike sort of annoyed me at first but I'm warming up to him, his shtick is less "smug ringleader" and more "insouciant underdog" now.

The biggest ray of hope is how much hype Probst has heaped on this season, I doubt he'd be super stoked over a Rodney win. Especially since it's switched from Joe vs the world, I expected more Rodney screen time and he was pretty peripheral this episode.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm sure Shirin is getting a nice edit at this point, but I don't care. I like her. And I like Mike. So it's exciting to contemplate that these two oddballs will crush the hopes and dreams of all the idiot aholes parading around.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Man, people on here are never happy and watch this show with rose colored glasses way too much.

- Say it's gonna be "another tired season where the majority picks off the minority" but on the other hand, criticize every one for being stupid when it's stupid people that are the ones that flip unnecessarily
- Criticize Tyler for "being dumb and doing nothing" when he is now in the box seat.
- Detest the unlikeable cast but complain that everyone is too vanilla, friendly and unwilling to make big moves when every cast member is a Joe clone.
- Complain about the rest of the season looking like it's gonna be a formulaic romp when we have just witnessed a massive shake up of the tribe/dynamics, the numbers are even and there are no real alliances

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Joe clones? Sounds like paradise

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
There IS a middle ground between "pack of Joe clones" and a group of feral dogs playing a weird game of best rear end in a top hat ever. :lol:

This season is weird.
It's just weird.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
If you think a cast has to be unlikable to be not-boring, check out Cagayan. There were plenty of fun conflict there, but none felt as vicious or ugly as the fighting this season. On top of that, that season had smart gameplay AND alliance flipping. We CAN have at all, guys!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

xcore posted:

Man, people on here are never happy and watch this show with rose colored glasses way too much.

- Say it's gonna be "another tired season where the majority picks off the minority" but on the other hand, criticize every one for being stupid when it's stupid people that are the ones that flip unnecessarily
- Criticize Tyler for "being dumb and doing nothing" when he is now in the box seat.
- Detest the unlikeable cast but complain that everyone is too vanilla, friendly and unwilling to make big moves when every cast member is a Joe clone.
- Complain about the rest of the season looking like it's gonna be a formulaic romp when we have just witnessed a massive shake up of the tribe/dynamics, the numbers are even and there are no real alliances

Yeah, I agree, this season's awesome and last night's episode gotta be one of the best I've ever seen. I don't know which moment I love more from last night: Shirin getting to raise her hand to deny Will, or Dan winning the auction advantage, so much good poo poo.

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010

mancalamania posted:

If you think a cast has to be unlikable to be not-boring, check out Cagayan. There were plenty of fun conflict there, but none felt as vicious or ugly as the fighting this season. On top of that, that season had smart gameplay AND alliance flipping. We CAN have at all, guys!

Didn't one contestant (Lindsay, I think) quit in Cagayan after being accosted by Trish? Kinda proves the point about rose-tinted glasses, eh?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

For the record, I am loving this season so far. There's just a huge potential for the shittiest final three ever.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

xcore posted:

Yeah, this season is real good.I don't understand the complaints about people not playing hard. Also, Joe was cool, but probably one of the least compelling characters left when he got the boot. His last minute idol gambit was good tho.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blue squares posted:

From what we've seen, these people NOT liking you means you're A-OK

Counter: Max loved her.

Shirin can be annoying but she seems to be a sincere and nice person which really stands out in this crowd. She's also been overly hated by these assholes so it makes her very sympathetic. It's kind of interesting how Jenn hated her at first (because Jenn is obviously a harsh personality herself and probably got rubbed the wrong way by Shirin's personality) but as it went on they seem to have gotten close, presumably because they're two of the only decent people there who have removed themselves from the pack (or been forced out).

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

Didn't one contestant (Lindsay, I think) quit in Cagayan after being accosted by Trish? Kinda proves the point about rose-tinted glasses, eh?

Actually the way I remember that was she quit because she was afraid that she'd lash out at Trish in some kind of ugly way and didn't want to set that kind of example for her daughter. Which actually sort of emphasizes the difference with this group of assholes who don't seem to have a care in the world about how they look on TV.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Shirin had the most entertaining handraise since Arnold Horshack, the most righteous since the 68 Olympics

STAC Goat posted:

Actually the way I remember that was she quit because she was afraid that she'd lash out at Trish in some kind of ugly way and didn't want to set that kind of example for her daughter. Which actually sort of emphasizes the difference with this group of assholes who don't seem to have a care in the world about how they look on TV.

Lndsey was just as terrible and mean as Will & a horrible example to put up against this cast, she just had the good fortune to aim her bullying vitriol at someone who wasn't liked itt. I really don't buy her excuse either, as her actions and words up until that point directly contradict "not being an example of a lovely person", she quit cuz her one friend got voted off.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Also wanted to say: yesterday's episode was just perfectly edited. I mean, I know they had a lot of great content to work with, but they put it all together beautifully.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

What does Shirin need a redemption act for? She's excited about monkeys loving, she really wants to pee on your wound, she'll go pantsless just because. She's always been the hero.
She's not the hero we need.
She's the hero we deserve.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Joe clones? Sounds like paradise

:swoon:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Trish wasn't my favorite, and I thought she did a few things to warrant Lindsey not liking her. But Lindsey went far and above, like Will, with the insulting. She was caught on camera talking poo poo, sometimes with Trish in earshot. Most of that happened when Lindsey thought she was in the power alliance. When she lost her only ally, she gave up and ratcheted up the confrontations. I maybe don't remember it 100%, but I do remember thinking Trish had it coming a bit but Lindsey's response and leaving were out of proportion. My brother on the other hand saw it all as Lindsey being a straight up bully, so yea, she'd actually have fit in super well with this cast.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Milovan Drecun posted:

Trish wasn't my favorite, and I thought she did a few things to warrant Lindsey not liking her. But Lindsey went far and above, like Will, with the insulting. She was caught on camera talking poo poo, sometimes with Trish in earshot. Most of that happened when Lindsey thought she was in the power alliance. When she lost her only ally, she gave up and ratcheted up the confrontations. I maybe don't remember it 100%, but I do remember thinking Trish had it coming a bit but Lindsey's response and leaving were out of proportion. My brother on the other hand saw it all as Lindsey being a straight up bully, so yea, she'd actually have fit in super well with this cast.

Kass just had an AMA on Reddit, and multiple of her answers seemed to imply that Trish could be a tremendous rear end in a top hat with people she didn't like (Kass included).

In general Kass's AMA is a pro-read, although no AMA with a Survivor player will ever be as good as Dave Ball's, holy poo poo.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
god damnit. jenn :'(

mike gently caress you, just go for it! at that moment when i saw that he wasn't going to take his letter, i was like 'okay, that is devotion, i think i'd be okay with mike winning now' but then he cops out! ugh. 'my consciousness wont let me do it' bull poo poo, you were going to until carolyn was like gently caress that. i'm now in 'anyone but mike' mode. mike feels like the guy the producers want to win. i'd rather see dan win at this point.

i guess i'll just root for shirin now? what the hell. everyone else other than her and mike seem to just be sitting around waiting to be voted off. what is going on with this season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mancalamania posted:

Ah yes, the season that contained Trish, Morgan, Lindsey, J'Tia and Kass. Totally a season of non-ugly, non-vicious players.

As for "smart gameplay". This is the season that intentionally cast a season of Meatheads, a season of Airheads and a season of arrogant dicks that had no social skills and game sense at all. Didn't we spend the entire season going "Spencer is not even playing a good game but he is going to run away with it because the rest of these people a loving idiots"

I agree, this season is particularly ugly, and the Will stuff made me feel sick, but the show has resorted to casting these unhinged and extreme personalities because it makes for good TV and minimizes the risk of a disastrously boring season.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Spatula City posted:

In general Kass's AMA is a pro-read,

Especially with Spencer randomly popping in to troll her

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

uranus posted:

i guess i'll just root for shirin now? what the hell. everyone else other than her and mike seem to just be sitting around waiting to be voted off. what is going on with this season.

I don't know how you can say this. Sure, Dan and Sierra seem to be coasting along, but the others are in a sweet spot and haven't needed to do anything radical.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
you're right i forgot about rodney who is gaming hard. but yeah, carolyn, tyler, will, siera and dan... what have they done other than nothing/piss people off

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
lol what if will wins cause everyone hates Shirin and his tirade against her scores him jury points?

Fans will riot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spatula City posted:

Kass just had an AMA on Reddit, and multiple of her answers seemed to imply that Trish could be a tremendous rear end in a top hat with people she didn't like (Kass included).

In general Kass's AMA is a pro-read, although no AMA with a Survivor player will ever be as good as Dave Ball's, holy poo poo.

Link please?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TheChad posted:

lol what if will wins cause everyone hates Shirin and his tirade against her scores him jury points?

Fans will riot.

Nah Will can't win. Shirin would have Jenn, Joe, Hali's votes for certain, and probably Mike's as well, vs Will probably would only have Dan as a solid lock.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
e it doesn't matter. wont change a thing but lead to a massive derail.

Tide fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 24, 2015

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Piell posted:

Nah Will can't win. Shirin would have Jenn, Joe, Hali's votes for certain, and probably Mike's as well, vs Will probably would only have Dan as a solid lock.

Would she? Jenn/Hali didn't really seem to like Shirin all that much. (Then again they don't like Will either)

Dan/Will/Rodney ftc will rule.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

TheChad posted:

Would she? Jenn/Hali didn't really seem to like Shirin all that much. (Then again they don't like Will either)

Jenn discussed her friendship with shirin in one of her interviews. Basically, no one would talk to Shirin or Mike anymore, so they both eventually wandered into the little cave that Jenn had been hanging out in. Jenn was there because she hated every one left on the island.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

they both eventually wandered into the little cave that Jenn had been hanging out in. Jenn was there because she hated every one left on the island.

This is kind of a hilarious image

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

TheChad posted:

In the ponderosa vids, Hali initially thought that Shirin flipped but then later said that she realized Shirin was their only ally. I think at this point all three could vote for Shirin, although they all seem to think Tyler is a frontrunner.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

While it would be nice to see an underdog win this season (I.e. Shirin or post-freakout Mike), I just don't see it happening. We've basically reached another pagonging. Other than Jenn's excellent idol play to get out Kelly, we've had the strong votes by the blues plus Tyler/Carolyn.

I don't want production to step in and change the game, but god drat it's depressing to see the bad people (whether actually bad or just edited that way) winning season after season.

This feels so much like another redemption island/south Pacific season to me. Why do the 4/5/6 in an alliance never make moves.

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010
I actually really like where Tyler/Carolyn are at right now. Sure, they don't make for the most exciting television but that doesn't mean they are bad/not doing anything. It would be stupid for them to stick their necks out and make waves when they have a cushy spot in the middle of an alliance that most people don't appear to be acknowledging. Their entire strategy revolves around keeping anything that can remotely make them a target and then hiding those things from the rest of the group. It takes a lot of self-awareness to do that and they seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. They can ride this out until a final four of Will/Rodney/Tyler/Carolyn and then take it from there. I'm sure that if either of them are in the F3 with Rodney and Will, then it will be a white collar victory. Judging from the preview for the next episode though, they may screw it up if they expose the information about Dan's double vote to the rest of the camp. Right now, they need Dan to be ignorant and happy which he seems like he will be if they just leave him alone.

I also don't see Shirin making it past the next episode, honestly. Unless she wins immunity (which doesn't seem too likely), the votes will be split between her and Mike. I think Mike is self-aware enough to realize that he is on the outs ( by Jenn's account he has basically been outcasted by the alliance that he was formerly the figurehead of ) and he'll play the idol which will send Shirin home. At this point, Shirin seems to have rubbed too many people the wrong way (Dan/Will/Carolyn/Tyler) and apparently (according to Jenn) Sierra is unwilling to work with her because she knows that she couldn't win against Shirin in the FTC. I don't think that there are enough people willing to work with her for her to make it to the end.

Mike and Shirin's last sliver of hope lies with Dan, but that sliver is pretty drat thin. If they _somehow_ found out about his double-vote power and then managed to convince him to flip on the Rodney revenge alliance, then I could see Mike and Shirin making it a bit further. However, I think that Dan seemed pretty burned by Mike after last episode's events so I think that those two working together again is a long shot. For Dan it's pretty good because his path to the end is now shared by less likeable people (Will and Rodney) and he can make it seem like Mike was the one that initially double-crossed him if he ever needs to defend himself at the end.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Link please?

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/33ndpm/kass_ama/

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I actually really like where Tyler/Carolyn are at right now. Sure, they don't make for the most exciting television but that doesn't mean they are bad/not doing anything. It would be stupid for them to stick their necks out and make waves when they have a cushy spot in the middle of an alliance that most people don't appear to be acknowledging. Their entire strategy revolves around keeping anything that can remotely make them a target and then hiding those things from the rest of the group. It takes a lot of self-awareness to do that and they seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. They can ride this out until a final four of Will/Rodney/Tyler/Carolyn and then take it from there. I'm sure that if either of them are in the F3 with Rodney and Will, then it will be a white collar victory. Judging from the preview for the next episode though, they may screw it up if they expose the information about Dan's double vote to the rest of the camp. Right now, they need Dan to be ignorant and happy which he seems like he will be if they just leave him alone.

I also don't see Shirin making it past the next episode, honestly. Unless she wins immunity (which doesn't seem too likely), the votes will be split between her and Mike. I think Mike is self-aware enough to realize that he is on the outs ( by Jenn's account he has basically been outcasted by the alliance that he was formerly the figurehead of ) and he'll play the idol which will send Shirin home. At this point, Shirin seems to have rubbed too many people the wrong way (Dan/Will/Carolyn/Tyler) and apparently (according to Jenn) Sierra is unwilling to work with her because she knows that she couldn't win against Shirin in the FTC. I don't think that there are enough people willing to work with her for her to make it to the end.

Mike and Shirin's last sliver of hope lies with Dan, but that sliver is pretty drat thin. If they _somehow_ found out about his double-vote power and then managed to convince him to flip on the Rodney revenge alliance, then I could see Mike and Shirin making it a bit further. However, I think that Dan seemed pretty burned by Mike after last episode's events so I think that those two working together again is a long shot. For Dan it's pretty good because his path to the end is now shared by less likeable people (Will and Rodney) and he can make it seem like Mike was the one that initially double-crossed him if he ever needs to defend himself at the end.

My only problem is that everyone other than Mike and Shirin have been slagged by the editing. I guess Tyler could win by virtue of being portrayed as reserved lurker gamebot, which is better than anyone else is getting. You look throughout the fan community, and other than a set of he-man douchebro Rodney supporters and a few admirers of Tyler and Carolyn, everyone's on board with Mike and Shirin. This can't be a mistake on the editors' part. I mean, I know this chain of logic is pretty meta, but I feel pretty confident this season would have different editing if the evil alliance won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Most likely Dan is gone next week. The double vote is just not an advantage you leave in the game and after this vote the core 4 will be able to keep the majority. All Tyler/Carolyn need to do is get their guys on board with voting Dan and then convince Dan and Sierra that they're sticking with the plan to vote out Mike/Shirin.

• Locked thread