Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Some might call the beginning of Episode 2 lovely
I am throwing tomatoes at my monitor after reading this, you fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not going to lie, the new voice from the kid actually made me laugh.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

I'm not going to lie, the new voice from the kid actually made me laugh.

that part was great

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I've never seen this show before but holy poo poo at the opening bit :laffo:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The grated cheese on the cleavage was really good, and that stupid voice at the end was perfect. I love this show.

I URINATED IN MY BED. MY MOTHER BEAT ME FOR URINATING IN MY BED. IT JUST MADE ME URINATE IN IT MORE.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gonz posted:

The grated cheese on the cleavage was really good, and that stupid voice at the end was perfect. I love this show.

I URINATED IN MY BED. MY MOTHER BEAT ME FOR URINATING IN MY BED. IT JUST MADE ME URINATE IN IT MORE.

I love the natural absurdity.

I think my all time favorite was the news anchors saying gibberish and no one bats an eye

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SaltLick posted:

I think my all time favorite was the news anchors saying gibberish and no one bats an eye

Louis CK invented the Pootie Tang language, so the newscaster gibberish from that episode was spot-on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It'd be funny if that bad comic kid showed up in the background later just crushing a set in a stupid voice.

Edit: Haha, hadn't finished the episode before I wrote that. I guess that was pretty obvious.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 17, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

SaltLick posted:

My favorite's still his daydream in the subway about the mystery puddle on the seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Mpn4zYlAA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Great episode, the Pamela scenes fit in nicely with last season. Despite being literally twice Pamela's size, Louie is still "dominated" by Pamela. The movie theater scene was hilarious. She challenges him to act like the big dumb man he tried to be last season and it just makes him feel humiliated and mocked.

The kid before/after changing his voice was an excellently concise summary of how comedy works (or doesn't work). Laughed out loud at the end.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The North Carolina hillbilly voice was perfect while Bart Folding's was horrifyingly unfunny. Strange how that works.

I actually thought Bart was kind of funny in his original act.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

wide stance posted:

I actually thought Bart was kind of funny in his original act.

:stonk:

Great episode, although I'm always conflicted on Pamela. I wonder how she would have taken it if Louie admitted to banging the pregnant woman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Outside of the penguin joke I didn't think the first episode was very good, but this one was outstanding. The opening segment, the cockblocked flashback, the loving artsy movie with hipster glasses, the parmesan, Pamela is always great.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 19, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ChesterJT posted:

I wonder how she would have taken it if Louie admitted to banging the pregnant woman.

The same way she takes everything: as an opportunity to laugh at and mock Louie.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Much stronger showing than last episode. I liked the flashback fake-out and then the "nah, we're not doing this".

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Oof, Episode 3 was a mess. Don't think I giggled once.
I can't stand Rappaport at all, so that made it 10 times worse.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This episode was infuriating. I mean I know it's the norm for an episode to be about Louie hanging out with awful people, but this really went the extra mile.

That opening was especially awful. Don't agree with her worldview, Louie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I skipped over most of the store owner interaction. At some point, I could just tell where it was going and that I didn't care to see it get there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The opening was a little heavy-handed but otherwise I liked the episode. Then again, I don't mind Rappaport.

"Ah, he don't care, he's Chinese" made me laugh.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I liked the opening because catty Asian women turn me on

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought it was good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah, I liked it as well. I kept expecting something terrible to happen when they realized the gun was gone, but it ended surprisingly upbeat with knitting & all.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Louie being terrified of concealing the gun was hilarious.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

iirc it's actually legal to kill people as smug as that girl in the beginning.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lot of people getting mad at comedy itt.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sometimes I love this show because it's hilarious.

Other times I love it because it's weird or because it's not afraid to put stuff like tonight's episode up. I don't care if it wasn't super hilarious, just so much effort and thinking goes into every bit that it is always good.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
Yeah the opening did go for that now standard Louie approach of 'oh, this unbearable rear end in a top hat, when given some time to speak, is actually 100% and i'm stupid for having a problem with anything'. I mean Louie is pathetic, so who knows, maybe everyone is right about him (the character).

Main story was okay. Feels like he did it already in a variety of ways ie Doug Stanhope episode, which was better, and it's a standard character type for the show now.

So this was okay, but felt like it didn't really have to exist. If it was very funny or something then it would've been fine, but it was only kind of amusing at points.

Louie's always been hit or miss depending on the particular anxiety the story exploits. Sometimes it can be really funny like last week with the kid who can't tell jokes, sometimes it can be obnoxious like the scene in the store in this episode. Sometimes it is just dumb like that episode where he smokes weed with the guy next door. I just dip in and out of this show, sometimes I quit an episode part way in like the premiere this season when it seems clear I'm not gonna enjoy this week's story.

Is it correct there are only 7 episodes this season?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
It was very good. You can take it a lot of ways.

I think that you can take the episode a lot of ways and that the episode was about being able to take things a lot of different ways compounds that, especially that it did it in a really short space of time.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Wow, I really am not on the same wavelength as the rest of the fans of this show apparently. Not that I'm complaining, because Louie fans are loving icky. But this episode was actually good. I really enjoyed it.

The opening was a typical misfire, and perfectly exemplifies my biggest issue with this show. He's clearly trying to say something, but it's a muddled mess, and in the end nothing intelligent was said, and a few awful things get said instead. Just pointless and bordering (at best) on offensive. Louie apparently doesn't know what generation he's a part of either, as he seems to be taking the sins of the baby boomers upon himself, and climbing up on the cross so some Gen X nobody can flagellate him while stroking her own overinflated ego. How about pointing out that her "own store in Manhattan" is probably 100% funded by her parents, and the only reason she can poo poo on customers is because success isn't really critical to her survival -- which is quite a difference from Louie's generation, which truly got the shaft. I feel like that was more of that same "hey lets suck some young demo dick" he always does, "I don't get you guys, because I'm out of touch!" Yeah, not because that generation is entitled. He knows that generation sucks. Commenting on it made up 90% of his material for a while, until that generation made him rich and famous. But whatever.

After that opening though, it got really good. Maybe it helps to be my age and have those run-ins with people from high school -- those people you don't hang out with now for a reason. I can see why people would like the Doug Stanhope episode better than this one, dramatically and comedically, but I've never run into an old friend who just talked about wanting to kill himself. I have run into jackasses who's personalities were so offensive you wondered how you ever hung out with them in the first place.

It wasn't ha-ha funny but it was definitely true to life, and funny in a really good, really uncomfortable way which I think is really Louis CK's strong suit.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Jake all of your posts in this thread annoy me but this I just have to address.

Jake Armitage posted:

so some Gen X nobody can flagellate him while stroking her own overinflated ego.

"Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Demographers, historians, and commentators use beginning birth dates ranging from the early 1960s to the early 1980s."

This girl was way way too young to be called a Gen Xer. She said she was 24 which means she was born in 1990 or 91. These people are called Millennials you loving kumquat.

AARO fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 25, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think maybe it just got lost in the shuffle a little. The main point or morale or whatever of that vignette as I take it was that "if the kids are doing better than you are, that is a good thing", which I think is true. It just got smothered a little in the delivery.

Regarding like store ownership, I sincerely doubt her character had the store at her parents' mercy, except in some abstract sense of her being there at all was owed to her parents. Like, that'd be a weird unspoken detail about her that you'd need a lot of made up poo poo to read from the episode. FWIW, I just remembered an old O&A thing where he talked at length about locally owned stores & capitalism, and as I recall that was pretty insightful.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

real_slime posted:

Sometimes it is just dumb like that episode where he smokes weed with the guy next door.

That's up there with the doll scene as one of the funniest scenes of the entire show.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I sincerely doubt her character had the store at her parents' mercy

She owns a store in Manhattan selling copper pots and knives and poo poo. If her parents aren't bankrolling it, someone is.

There's a reason hipsters open their yo-yo stores and artisan popcorn stands in places like Williamsburg and Silverlake instead of Beverly Hills or fifth avenue.

Anyway, I just felt it was a missed opportunity to actually say something about the generations instead of "gee hey yeah I guess I'm an idiot, young people really do have it all figured out".

I think it's true that if the younger generation is doing better than mine, that's a good thing. I just really don't think that's the case. poo poo, to me, seems to be getting progressively worse in terms of the power each generation holds.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 25, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

But all that about her store is something you're putting into the show that isn't there. We have her word that she's running that store and there's nothing in else in the show to say either way. It might be unrealistic, which I'll agree is part of why the message is muddled, but it is what it is. It's like saying Rapaport's character's only a cop cause he had connections back in wherever.

Also I'll def agree that whether the younger generations truly are doing better than "ours" or not is hella up for debate. On some issues like race and gender it appears that at least more people are aware than were so when I was a kid, but then some others choose to double down on the lovely. So I wonder if you can ever for real "say something about the generations" as a whole?

Anyway I think this is what art does, it asks us to discuss important things, so to me this episode and tbh the whole show is executed amazingly.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow. That was a powerful episode. If nothing else, Louie (the show) creates very unexpected moments that resonate.

I'll ignore the opening which amused me and get to the meat of the story. At first, I did not like this episode. I hated, HATED the cop character. But that's the point. I saw a bit of myself in that cop. I know that I am sometimes hard to be around. Not for the same reasons as that jerk, but I can be nonetheless. And to see that hard to be around person try to express themselves, to explain that yes, I am hard to be around, but this is who I am. I don't know how to be any different. That got to me.

And the lost gun scene kept me riveted. Louis CK knows how to make compelling television.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jake Armitage posted:

I feel like that was more of that same "hey lets suck some young demo dick"
well yes obviously but which specific reddit groups was he trying to suck up to come on jake you're slipping here

I love all the specific poo poo you know about this show, like who Louis CK is trying to appeal to in any given scene, what he was thinking when he wrote something, or whether that woman from the opening really owns her own store. I wish I was as good at watching TV as you but I'm glad you're here to illuminate all these details about a show I just enjoy watching because I never know where an episode is gonna go.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 25, 2015

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I just can't wait for the episode when Louie gets along with somebody and has a nice time!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mescal posted:

I just can't wait for the episode when Louie gets along with somebody and has a nice time!

Bully, season one. After he follows the bully home, he has a real moment with the dad.

Also that is at least like ep 6 or 7 of the first season, im p sure there are earlier eps w human interactioiacantahfdaoswhat

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Bully, season one. After he follows the bully home, he has a real moment with the dad.

Also that is at least like ep 6 or 7 of the first season, im p sure there are earlier eps w human interactioiacantahfdaoswhat

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mescal posted:

That already happened. Remember the big fat guy on the plane?

• Locked thread