Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Tollymain posted:

I picked up Desktop Dungeons and I'm doing all right so far but I have a question: is the Dwarven racial ability as bad as it sounds? +1 HP doesn't sound anywhere near as good as +1 MP or +10% Damage

Tetrakarn posted:

Its one of the lesser racial abilities, but its more powerful than it sounds because that's +1 base HP which gets multiplied by a bunch.
This. The thing about Desktop Dungeons is that it gets incredibly intricate and hard once you get through the midgame, and you need to crunch numbers and work out pro strats to beat your tasks. Like, that +1 Hp doesn't sound very impressive on its own. But the trick is to use that with classes that have poor hp gain to make them skip ahead of the math, or with tanky classes that then can tank for real. The combat and xp math is super important! You basically want to look for a Lv2 kill right away, and keep killing at least 1lv above you to cash in the bonus xp. You will not survive the proper dungeons if you kill at your level, and beating the boss(or two bosses eventually) will likely be out of your reach. There really is a lot to say about how to play the game and what things you should do, but that would turn into a giant-rear end post. Just know that the +1hp can allow you to get that last hit in on an enemy that's maybe 2lvs above you without dying to it. Especially if you have the right glyphs or gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Just managed to beat the Necrodancer his own self with Cadence in Crypt. That was an intense final five minutes; zone 4 is a death march, the zone 4 boss can be either very easily or very very hard, and the Necrodancer himself is a great and different boss mechanic just thrown on you at the end. Not looking forward to trying to get other characters to that point, but that's the game!

Thank christ they backed off on "to win the daily challenge you actually have to beat the game with three different characters including the one who dies if you miss one beat". That would have probably just made me uninstall, because I know I'd never pull it off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

rj54x posted:

I'm assuming it's just because it's still in early access, but I'm kinda dissapointed that darkest dungeon wasn't in the Steam sale.

Unless I've been misled into believing that it's more roguelike-y than it actually is?

This is one of those situations where it can reasonably be called a roguelike if you're content with the nebulous Procedural Death Labyrinth definition, but not if you're determined that roguelikes should be Like Rogue. There's no hard failure state (your faceless Estate inheritor can't die, and you can always hire more adventurers), the labyrinths are relatively simple, and combat is closer to an oldschool console RPG like Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior than a grid-based tactical treasurecleaving simulator like Dungeon Crawl or ToME. However, permadeath is a very real, looming danger for your carefully-trained minions, and you'll find yourself fretting over whether to risk one more room or abandon your current expedition and forfeit a good chunk of its rewards.

I'd call it a roguelite at the very least. I suspect the main reasona people don't call it "roguelike" more often are the unusual presentation (sidescrollery turn-based RPG combat thing) and uncertainty over whether permadeath for everyone but no failure state really constitutes Real True PermadeathTM. I was way more upset when my awesome, painstakingly-trained Dismas the Highwayman unexpectedly ate a bunch of crossbow bolts and died than I was when many of my better "traditional roguelike" characters splatted, and imho any game that has procedural death labyrinths, requires planning and resource management, and can punish missteps with that gutted feeling of having irreversibly hosed up can claim a decent case for being a roguelike of some sort.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 24, 2015

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mukaikubo posted:

Thank christ they backed off on "to win the daily challenge you actually have to beat the game with three different characters including the one who dies if you miss one beat". That would have probably just made me uninstall, because I know I'd never pull it off.

You'll be happy to hear that the final third of the main story campaign requires you to use that crippled character for a full playthrough!

The game is great overall, but I don't know what the hell they were thinking here. I could probably beat the game with her eventually if I decided to grind away endlessly, but gently caress that. The other characters are an order of magnitude more fun to play. I guess I'll watch Aria's cinematics on youtube or something

Fake edit: I just realizes I care about a roguelike's story for some reason, wtf

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I have a spare copy of Dungeons of Dredmor going if anyone wants it?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Aside from the dev's obsession with shoehorning what should be a hardmode gimmick character into the main campaign, Necrodancer is wonderful. I bought it a while back because I liked the music and thought the gimmick was amusing, and it's turned out to be one of my favorite games in recent years. The whole thing just WORKS.

Also it's one of the few games that got early access really, really right. It was stable, the gameplay was feature complete, and the majority of items/levels were already in. It was well done enough that the full release feels more like a free expansion pack than finally getting the game I paid for months ago. Not that the little extra bit of polish hurts; the boss title cards and cutscenes add a lot of charm.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Uh. Needs Three Trigers howling at the moon.

One of the reasons I like roguelikes is that they are one of the last bastions of innovation. They really do seem to attract the most creative software devs.

Also neo scavenger. Yeah its good if you like dwarf fortress like combat (a bit less complex) and scavenging. It sort of reminds me of Wastland 1 in terms of the text based style of gameplay. Dont expect Fallout. It is more This War of Mine or The Last of Us in that the combats feel like brutal vicious life or death struggles that determine if you are going to survive another night or not. Even if you walk away victorious, the cracked ribs or internal bleeding that you suffered may end you later, making your sacrifices Pyrrhic.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 24, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

The extra content is 2 really overpowered reaver but different weapon skills classes and a Shalore but all your skills are single target debuffs instead of passive buffs race. And some new unique items for them. You're just paying to sleepwalk through it that much more. They even prevent those classes from showing up on monsters because they're too broken.

neither of the DLC classes are especially overpowered compared to stuff that's been in the base game forever, like Archmages

like "boring" is subjective but basically everything else you've said about tome in the last few pages is factually incorrect

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Helical Nightmares posted:

Also neo scavenger. Yeah its good if you like dwarf fortress like combat (a bit less complex) and scavenging. It sort of reminds me of Wastland 1 in terms of the text based style of gameplay. Dont expect Fallout. It is more This War of Mine or The Last of Us in that the combats feel like brutal vicious life or death struggles that determine if you are going to survive another night or not. Even if you walk away victorious, the cracked ribs or internal bleeding that you suffered may end you later, making your sacrifices Pyrrhic.

I agree, I like that getting into a fight is nearly always a Big Deal in Neo Scavenger. Instead of a superpowered hell knight mowing down hordes of opponents, you're a tired, hungry scavenger picking through the ruins of the world, tensing up at every strange sound and peering into the darkness with one hand on your weapon. Getting into a skirmish with another scavenger is risky, fighting raiders is taking your life into your hands, and every Dogman is a straight up boss battle even if you're a combat-oriented character, since a single slip-up could end you. And on top of that, there are weird, eerie things you can encounter that you flat out cannot fight; you're only human and eminently mortal, and if you decide to pick a fight with that Unspeakable Thing you found surrounded by death and carnage, welp, rest in loving peace.

It's a pretty unique experience as far as roguelikes go and I like it a lot. The sheer lethality of combat just makes it even more fun to play a towering brute of a combat ogre now and then, because headbutting a Dogman in the chest so hard it dies of loving heart failure is exponentially more metal when you know how deadly those things are :black101:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

I agree, I like that getting into a fight is nearly always a Big Deal in Neo Scavenger. Instead of a superpowered hell knight mowing down hordes of opponents, you're a tired, hungry scavenger picking through the ruins of the world, tensing up at every strange sound and peering into the darkness with one hand on your weapon.

Counterpoint: pick Stealth as one of your starting skills and make a sling, then laugh as you one- or two-shot every enemy by slinging rocks at their exposed areas while immune to detection and thus counter-attack.

I had a lot of fun with Neo Scavenger, but it's hilariously easy to break the game in half with starting equipment.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I bought a laptop that can finally play games which means I'm back in the PC gaming community. I've been splurging on Steam and GOG, and I picked up some roguelikes from the sale, specifically:

Legend of Dungeon
Risk of Rain
Eldritch
Crypt of the Necrodancer
One-Way Heroics
Shattered Planet

I picked up Don't Starve earlier in the week before it was part of the bundle, and have been playing a little Darkest Dungeon and Sunless Sea as well. After reading the hype here about Dungeonmans, and considering that it looks like a goon worked on it, I'll be picking that up later as well.

I see a lot of scuttlebutt about most of the games, but anyone have thoughts on whether or not I wasted my money on Eldritch, Shattered Planet or Legend of Dungeon? I'm going to be playing solo, if that changed to LoD opinion. I've also been playing Dungeon of the Endless, felt good about finally getting to the fifth floor.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Crawl is the best thing the PC gaming community has to offer.

e: I hate that I have to clarify this but I mean dungeon crawl stone soup not whatever schlock has that name on steam

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You need a belt of levitation. Other than that there's no such thing as an ascension kit, only cheesy ways to postpone your ignoble end in a pool of your own bodily fluids. You also might want to eat your hat.

At first I thought you were joking about the hat, but I looked it up and was again amazed by how much depth is in IVAN :stare:

Also I got eaten by a werewolf while trying to polymorph into something that could eat ommel bone, but thanks for the advice anyway :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm going to be playing solo, if that changed to LoD opinion.
it didnt do much for me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

:jerkbag: I'm gonna take a minute to poo poo up this thread with why Roguelikes are so great, this thread rules, we all are rulers, and the game making and playing world needs more of us. Here's what Steam is rocking this weekend for their three bignutt weekend sales:

Grim Greymans in swirling coolsmoke (tm) or, you know, video games. Now don't get me wrong, I loved Skyrim and Mordor-- in fact Mordor was one of the few games in recent memory I actually played all the way through to the last end credit. Those games owned, both of them, and I will play every game you put in front of me about a mighty hero who can break bad upon wave after wave of loot-bearing bad guys. Of loving course.

But look at the wide and wild bullshit under that third sale. Again, for reference:

Don't like dungeons? Go play a game about submarines, or ninjas, or growing old in the snow, whatever. There's still a poo poo ton of games there with unique and flavorful mechanics, vibrant colors, new ideas, and the sort of "oh man, whoa" cool feeling that waited for you when you stumbled into a new arcade, or found some crazyass shareware game, or any of the other gem-discovering methods we used when we were falling for gaming regardless of how you got your fix.

This thread is best thread because you can show up one day and someone's talking about a tank simulator, or IVAN, or Elona, or FTL, or any number of wild ideas held together by the thin and oft-argued standard of "what is a roguelike", to me the answer will always be "a game that belongs in this thread", and I sit smugly upon my tautology.

Please keep finding, playing, jawing about, and making roguelikes.

Also, given the above, maybe I'm marketing Dungeonmans wrong.

this could also be construed as a post humblebragging about owning so many Roguelikes or even more sinister, trying to get someone to gift you a copy of Steam Marines :tinfoil:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

neither of the DLC classes are especially overpowered compared to stuff that's been in the base game forever, like Archmages

like "boring" is subjective but basically everything else you've said about tome in the last few pages is factually incorrect

yeah, i was really confused when i read that because i've never seen anyone in the tome thread go on about how they're broken or some poo poo. i even think the demon pokemon master has been mostly crap since being introduced, unless that was changed. and the demon berserker thing or whatever the hell it's called is basically a reskinned cursed. (also also, who gives a poo poo about doom elves)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Eonwe posted:

this could also be construed as a post humblebragging about owning so many Roguelikes or even more sinister, trying to get someone to gift you a copy of Steam Marines :tinfoil:

My stance on Steam Marines is clear:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lmao is that the end of the credits?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Necrodancer is really fun. After several tried I could not beat the 2nd floor. Then I switched characters and in one non-story run I beat the first boss, got a bunch of gems, and opened several cages. Are gems and cages not in story mode? Also what do the combo inputs like up+right and left+right do?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Awesome! posted:

lmao is that the end of the credits?

Correct. The Steam Marines dev and I like to trash each other's game while point out sales and updates, but so far he hasn't been able to top that. Plenty of salt though. https://twitter.com/Worthless_Bums/status/543291369914380288

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Heran Bago posted:

Necrodancer is really fun. After several tried I could not beat the 2nd floor. Then I switched characters and in one non-story run I beat the first boss, got a bunch of gems, and opened several cages. Are gems and cages not in story mode? Also what do the combo inputs like up+right and left+right do?

They're there to activate items/spells you've picked up.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Heran Bago posted:

Gems and Cages are not -- it's a way to play through one zone at a time with a few upgrades from the get-go and is a lot less punishing than story mode (I'm a fan of All Zones mode personally, just because that's enough of an effort for me). Gems unlock persistent dungeon upgrades whenever you play single-zone mode, while cages unlock characters that help you train (such as a way to play against a boss over and over again to learn their patterns, or the same thing for monsters, trying out weapons, or learning advanced techniques like dragon dancing).

I gave it a go for an hour or so yesterday and re-beat Zones 1 and 2, but I've died on Zone 3 so many times :negative: The amount of things you need to keep track of really amps up a ton.

Also I got the Rifle in Zone 2 and cleared Deep Blues in one hit. Turns out infinite range 3 damage piercing projectile far outweighs the downside of taking 2 consecutive turns to attack :v:

e: Beaten by Sage Grimm, but up+right / left+right just maps to additional items and spells you might pick up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can also set them to other buttons like bumpers or triggers if you're on a controller which makes life much easier

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

Correct. The Steam Marines dev and I like to trash each other's game while point out sales and updates, but so far he hasn't been able to top that. Plenty of salt though. https://twitter.com/Worthless_Bums/status/543291369914380288

That's too funny.

Also, sell me on Eldritch. The Minecraft graphics instantly turned me off, but if the gameplay is good enough, I might reconsider.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Also, sell me on Eldritch. The Minecraft graphics instantly turned me off, but if the gameplay is good enough, I might reconsider.

It boils down to your enjoyment of FPS roguelikes. If you dig those, you'll like Eldritch, because it plays quite well and has fun exploration in procedural areas. It isn't the deepest or the longest game, and yeah if you don't like Minecraft graphics then you'll never be happy looking at the monitor while playing.

Personally I enjoy it as a coffee break RL, because the levels are short and you don't get overwhelmed by character building and difficult choices. Combat feels really good, stealth is simple and not mandatory, and the jumping puzzles (such as they are) are more fun than hassle.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I bought a laptop that can finally play games which means I'm back in the PC gaming community. I've been splurging on Steam and GOG, and I picked up some roguelikes from the sale, specifically:

Legend of Dungeon
Risk of Rain
Eldritch
Crypt of the Necrodancer
One-Way Heroics
Shattered Planet

I picked up Don't Starve earlier in the week before it was part of the bundle, and have been playing a little Darkest Dungeon and Sunless Sea as well. After reading the hype here about Dungeonmans, and considering that it looks like a goon worked on it, I'll be picking that up later as well.

I see a lot of scuttlebutt about most of the games, but anyone have thoughts on whether or not I wasted my money on Eldritch, Shattered Planet or Legend of Dungeon? I'm going to be playing solo, if that changed to LoD opinion. I've also been playing Dungeon of the Endless, felt good about finally getting to the fifth floor.

You are missing FTL. At this price (around $3) buy one for a friend.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lprsti99 posted:

it's probably not good enough to get you over hating the style tbh. it's not bad but it's not really great either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I picked up that Our Darker Purpose game since it was on sale. Pretty alright Issac clone I guess, I like the music and art (reminds me a ton of Nightmare Ned, which was a game that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid) but the hitboxes are kind of wonky and bosses have way too much hp that it gets more tedious the play the longer you stick with it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Geokinesis posted:

I have a spare copy of Dungeons of Dredmor going if anyone wants it?

I'd be quite interested if that's still available.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
[pounds fists on table] qud qud qud qud qud qud qud

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

packetmantis posted:

[pounds fists on table] qud qud qud qud qud qud qud

We want CoQ! We want CoQ! We want CoQ! We want CoQ!
Give us the CoQ!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, inter-developer sass aside, how are Steam Marines, Cargo Commander, and Shattered Planet?

madjackmcmad posted:

Yes. I spent some time with Kornel at GDC this year and gave him the business on behalf of all of us, and all DoomRL fans everywhere. It's happening, and he'll share stuff when he's ready. Yell at him to make Ready happen Sooner. https://twitter.com/epyoncf

With DoomRL deprecated and Jupiter Hell in the works, are there any plans to open-source DoomRL or at least make the wads less obfuscated/make the modding API less poo poo? Or did that not come up and I should badger him on twitter about it?

dis astranagant posted:

The extra content is 2 really overpowered reaver but different weapon skills classes and a Shalore but all your skills are single target debuffs instead of passive buffs race. And some new unique items for them. You're just paying to sleepwalk through it that much more. They even prevent those classes from showing up on monsters because they're too broken.

In addition to all the wrong things other people have pointed out, this is talking about the Ashes DLC.

The paid content for the base game that you get for buying it rather than playing the free version is more cosmetic options for your characters, Explore mode, early access to new classes (this was Stone Warden when I started playing, I think it's Oozemancer now), and the Item Vault for transferring items between characters.

Unormal posted:

FTL is the goddamn bomb and anyone who says it's too RNG is just bad at FTL. :colbert:

I got gud cause I'm really stupid and for the first 40 hours I had no clue you could pause during combat and I was like like "drat, people are right this poo poo is hard!". I only discovered you could pause and give orders after I was good enough to beat the entire game without pausing.

The requirements for unlocking a lot of the ships are entirely RNG bullshit, though. The necessary sector(s) have to spawn, in the right order, and you have to visit them despite not being able to tell which ones they are from a distance, and then you have to visit the right encounters in those sectors ditto, and you need to be able to complete those encounters which may depend on having gotten the right subsystems/crewmembers earlier.

Also it's kind of stupid the way you can build a ship that can sleepwalk through 90% of the game but has basically no chance against the final boss.

It's a lot of fun most of the time but god drat the metagame can be really aggravating.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just some information for those new to Necrodancer. You do not, in fact, have to do "Story mode" to progress the story. You can, are probably expected to, do them zone by zone. That way you can gather gems to unlock the various stuff in the lobby while you're at it.

Why they named that gimmicky run in the character creator room "Story Mode" I will never understand.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Cargo Commander kinda sucks. The general idea is good, but what the game doesn't tell you is that if you spend too long outside in space and not in a container, it will spawn heat-seeking, tiny aliens that will chew your rear end up in seconds. Think the Spelunky Ghost except way, way faster. And the gravity thing the game has going on means this can happen very easily. There's better Roguelike platformers out there.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Guess I'll give Eldritch a pass then.

Re: Necrodancer, waiting on a reply from the dev because right now it crashes on startup without producing any logs, and I've already tried all of the suggestions I could find.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Aside from the dev's obsession with shoehorning what should be a hardmode gimmick character into the main campaign, Necrodancer is wonderful. I bought it a while back because I liked the music and thought the gimmick was amusing, and it's turned out to be one of my favorite games in recent years. The whole thing just WORKS.

Also it's one of the few games that got early access really, really right. It was stable, the gameplay was feature complete, and the majority of items/levels were already in. It was well done enough that the full release feels more like a free expansion pack than finally getting the game I paid for months ago. Not that the little extra bit of polish hurts; the boss title cards and cutscenes add a lot of charm.

You can do Aria's story from the lobby stairs, so do each individual zone. You get more chests and stuff there. Still hard, but way easier.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ToxicFrog posted:

The requirements for unlocking a lot of the ships are entirely RNG bullshit, though. The necessary sector(s) have to spawn, in the right order, and you have to visit them despite not being able to tell which ones they are from a distance, and then you have to visit the right encounters in those sectors ditto, and you need to be able to complete those encounters which may depend on having gotten the right subsystems/crewmembers earlier.

Also it's kind of stupid the way you can build a ship that can sleepwalk through 90% of the game but has basically no chance against the final boss.

It's a lot of fun most of the time but god drat the metagame can be really aggravating.

They changed that for the better with the Advanced Edition update. Every A type is able to be unlocked by beating the flagship with any variant of the previous ship now. The only exception is the Crystal A which is unlocked beating the flagship with every non-crystal A and B variant. Still steep, but not the bullshit of having to do the stupid loving questline for it. Of course the quests do still work on the off chance you manage to pull the Crystal Homeworld questline out of your rear end.

Also for anyone who is still on the fence about FTL, I offer these screenshots as an argument for purchasing the game:

Speaking of FTL love, has anyone else picked up and tried out Convoy? It's basically Mad Max the Roguelike and comes with a big, giant stamp saying "Inspired by FTL!" on it. I've picked it up and had fun and was curious if anyone else had thoughts on it. At one point I had a heavy APC with shields, a device that negated the damage you take when ramming, and dual chainsaws to increase ramming damage done to others and used it to basically run over the raider dune buggies. :black101:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shattered Planet is a game I got for free on my android phone and it was a decent roguelike, worth killing some time on...but I don't know if I'd want to pay for it, not even 3$. The PC version would have to be WAY improved and more complex for me to buy it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Cargo Commander kinda sucks. The general idea is good, but what the game doesn't tell you is that if you spend too long outside in space and not in a container, it will spawn heat-seeking, tiny aliens that will chew your rear end up in seconds. Think the Spelunky Ghost except way, way faster. And the gravity thing the game has going on means this can happen very easily. There's better Roguelike platformers out there.

Please recommend me some! The only ones I've played are 99 Levels to Hell and Rogue Legacy, and neither really held my interest. Rogue Legacy had the best go at it, with the whole building-up-your-keep-between-characters aspect, but I reached a point where I could reliably beat bosses 1 and 2 but couldn't even get to boss 3 except through sheer dumb luck and eventually stopped playing.

E: and Spelunky, but I've made it to DL08 in Spelunky all of once out of many, many, many runs.

Basically I guess I'm looking for a platformer-roguelike that has some sort of character progression beyond "you can carry an item" but doesn't have the steep difficulty cliff of Rogue Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Risk of Rain, but it's not 'heavy' roguelike. Still a great game though.