Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

Lwaxana liked Odo because she couldn't read his mind, right? So during Earth's paranoid phase where they had armed soldiers on every corner and were blood testing everyone all the time, why not just import some telepaths to find the blank spaces? They wouldn't need to actually intrude in anyone's thoughts, which most telepaths and non-telepaths object to, they'd just need to find the non-humanoid minds.

There were so many creative uses for betazoids (~~literal psychics~~) in this show that the writers never exploited. They even bothered to give them a whole slew of limitations and weaknesses, like how too much mental chatter throws them off or how they cant read certain species' thoughts, then never used them. instead they chose to make some hokey story about a Sad Space Whale who could only talk to some betazoid reject, or whatever.

I remember my my favorite Lwaxana moment was when the whole crew was combing this alien delegation apart to find a secret assassin or spy or some poo poo, and at the very end Lwaxana eyeballs them for 2 seconds and is like "guys it's this dude. :jerkbag:" I'd be all over the Betazoid Quiverfull movement; staff at least 2 on every Federation ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i wonder if troi ever got sick of hearing guys thoughts of how they want to gently caress her

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Nefarious posted:

i wonder if troi ever got sick of hearing guys thoughts of how they want to gently caress her

Troi could only feel emotions silly. :)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shadow posted:

Yeah her special talent was telling Picard things that any idiot would know. "Captain, I sense that this man is being deceitful!" "Jesus Christ thanks for the insight there, Troi."

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Yeah her special talent was telling Picard things that any idiot would know. "Captain, I sense that this man is being deceitful!" "Jesus Christ thanks for the insight there, Troi."

I loved that whenever she was in a command position she'd poo poo the bed and subordinates would call her out. Wonder if she could sense their contempt and resentment towards her. :)

Then of course the writers decided to give her some bullshit confidence arc and make the ~female on the bridge~ not worthless.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Troi was just the counsellor, the only reason picard let her on the bridge was so he could look at dem tittays.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
they never should have lost the little dresses they had her wear early on tbh

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

GrumpyDoctor posted:

"Jesus... Christ? Is that some human expression, Captain?"

Also, it's the future. Mankind has become so tolerant, polite and nice that we've lost the ability to read the subtle clues or react to someone being insincere.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Senator Sprinkles posted:

There were so many creative uses for betazoids (~~literal psychics~~) in this show that the writers never exploited. They even bothered to give them a whole slew of limitations and weaknesses, like how too much mental chatter throws them off or how they cant read certain species' thoughts, then never used them. instead they chose to make some hokey story about a Sad Space Whale who could only talk to some betazoid reject, or whatever.

I remember my my favorite Lwaxana moment was when the whole crew was combing this alien delegation apart to find a secret assassin or spy or some poo poo, and at the very end Lwaxana eyeballs them for 2 seconds and is like "guys it's this dude. :jerkbag:" I'd be all over the Betazoid Quiverfull movement; staff at least 2 on every Federation ship.

lol who cares as long as its entertaining.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

JediTalentAgent posted:

"Jesus... Christ? Is that some human expression, Captain?"

Also, it's the future. Mankind has become so tolerant, polite and nice that we've lost the ability to read the subtle clues or react to someone being insincere.

When Worf says that his father is still alive in Season Six after smashing a table, Troi says "Oh my God" like super shocked, it seems kind of weird because I assume they're all godless heathens.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Shadow posted:

1. Horniness is an emotion
2. Those star fleet uniforms don't look very good for hiding boners. It's not like she'd be able to miss it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

When Worf says that his father is still alive in Season Six after smashing a table, Troi says "Oh my God" like super shocked, it seems kind of weird because I assume they're all godless heathens.

when anyobdy says 'oh my god' they aren't actually appealing to a spirit they believe in!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

opus111 posted:

when anyobdy says 'oh my god' they aren't actually appealing to a spirit they believe in!

I dunno, you're probably right

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Troi was ordered into cultural sensitivity training because her comment offended several other members of the crew.

Worf was particularly troubled as he was there revealing some massive personal issue and she's there offending him since the Klingons killed their gods...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VideoTapir posted:

1. Horniness is an emotion
2. Those star fleet uniforms don't look very good for hiding boners. It's not like she'd be able to miss it.

Maybe they have anti-boner tech? Otherwise it was really cruel to stick teenage boys in them.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

God drat it'd suck to work night shift with her alone. Or ever be with her alone.

One thought of how much that you despise such a worthless crew member outranking half the people on board, and you'll never be on her good side again. Plus every time you roll your eyes at her obvious "emotional reading" you'd get a dirty look.

ED: Also given she plays, and loses at poker... yeah, holding a straight face can fool her. She's terrible.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Angela Christine posted:

Lwaxana liked Odo because she couldn't read his mind, right? So during Earth's paranoid phase where they had armed soldiers on every corner and were blood testing everyone all the time, why not just import some telepaths to find the blank spaces? They wouldn't need to actually intrude in anyone's thoughts, which most telepaths and non-telepaths object to, they'd just need to find the non-humanoid minds.

Odo was powerfully terrible at shapeshifting, though. He couldn't even do a proper nose. He was basically a mewling infant, only ever taking the vague approximation of simple forms. A proper big boy shapeshifter takes every characteristic of the thing they're mimicking, including whatever bullshit theremin sound Roddenberry used to justify the existence of telepathy. The reason why Lwaxana couldn't read him was because he never had a real brain in there. Real shapeshifters do, they give themselves all the organs.

The funny thing about Lwaxana was that she has reacted three totally different ways when confronted by people she couldn't read. She found it an aphrodisiac for Odo; a repellant disfigurement on the Ferengi who tried to win her heart on Betazed and then after failing, abducted her; and simply calming from Data. Like all people claiming to be psychic, she just formed her conclusions first and worked backwards.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

chaosbreather posted:

Odo was powerfully terrible at shapeshifting, though. He couldn't even do a proper nose. He was basically a mewling infant, only ever taking the vague approximation of simple forms. A proper big boy shapeshifter takes every characteristic of the thing they're mimicking, including whatever bullshit theremin sound Roddenberry used to justify the existence of telepathy. The reason why Lwaxana couldn't read him was because he never had a real brain in there. Real shapeshifters do, they give themselves all the organs.

The funny thing about Lwaxana was that she has reacted three totally different ways when confronted by people she couldn't read. She found it an aphrodisiac for Odo; a repellant disfigurement on the Ferengi who tried to win her heart on Betazed and then after failing, abducted her; and simply calming from Data. Like all people claiming to be psychic, she just formed her conclusions first and worked backwards.

Maybe she would have been turned on by data if she had known he was ~fully functional~

Live seriously, why would you build a robot with a working penis and understanding of sexual techniques unless you were a pervert with a robot sex fetish.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Maybe she would have been turned on by data if she had known he was ~fully functional~

Live seriously, why would you build a robot with a working penis and understanding of sexual techniques unless you were a pervert with a robot sex fetish.

WHO
GIVES
A
gently caress

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The real reason Lore was disassembled was because they were freaked out him standing beside the colonists at the urinal just holding his dick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shadow posted:

they never should have lost the little dresses they had her wear early on tbh

Nah, Captain Dick Jones was right. She was being hella unprofessional showing up for work out of uniform.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, Captain Dick Jones was right. She was being hella unprofessional showing up for work out of uniform.

picard was fairly lax about that poo poo. surprised jellico didnt make worf remove his sash

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The sash was a cultural thing, wasn't it? That'd be like telling a Bajoran they couldn't wear their nose ring.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Fetus Tree posted:

picard was fairly lax about that poo poo. surprised jellico didnt make worf remove his sash

It was great when Riker yelled at Ro and demanded she take off the sacred religious earring of her subjugated people who recently experienced years of occupation and genocide, but doesn't give a gently caress about Worf wearing his Little Miss Teen Klingon pageant sash all the time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Universe Master posted:

It was great when Riker yelled at Ro and demanded she take off the sacred religious earring of her subjugated people who recently experienced years of occupation and genocide, but doesn't give a gently caress about Worf wearing his Little Miss Teen Klingon pageant sash all the time.

Well if he can't carry around his cultural significant trombone on away missions, neither can anyone else.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

muscles like this? posted:

The sash was a cultural thing, wasn't it? That'd be like telling a Bajoran they couldn't wear their nose ring.

a uniforms a uniform

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Sour Diesel posted:

gently caress voyager just watch farscape instead

came here to post this because farscape is better than poo poo star trek

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Fetus Tree posted:

a uniforms a uniform

A klingon warrior sash is important to their religion and must be maintained, like a turban. The nose ring is an obtrusive trinket, like a cross necklace.

Just like irl, only the beta religions have to follow the rules

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

They let Ro wear the earring in the end though right?

Anyway Ro should chill out her white person problems don't matter anyway.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moridin920 posted:

They let Ro wear the earring in the end though right?

Anyway Ro should chill out her white person problems don't matter anyway.

Ro was always calling out the bullshit on the ship and it was great. Gene had to die before the writers got to question anything about the Federation. It got expanded on a lot in DS9.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

just watched the pilot 2-parter for ds9 and i have to ask is the guy who plays sisko legit insane in irl? his mannerisms and the way he speaks makes him seem like an alien pretending to be human

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

just watched the pilot 2-parter for ds9 and i have to ask is the guy who plays sisko legit insane in irl? his mannerisms and the way he speaks makes him seem like an alien pretending to be human

You need to watch his episode of the Captains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MEYMMDhKk

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Raku posted:

You need to watch his episode of the Captains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MEYMMDhKk

I wondered how many hours of footage they needed to shoot to get 5 minutes of semi-coherent dialogue out of him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yes

he is a drama professor at Rutgers I think these days

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

THE LOST TNG PILOT http://youtu.be/27MXcQrZc1Y

also :rip: nimoy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Universe Master posted:

At that point he thinks she's responsible for the death of all those officers and has been transferred to the ship behind his back. I'm surprised he didn't call her a wrinklenose. You could totally be culturally insensitive to a Bajoran because they were a bunch of losers with no power. Besides being his buddy, the Khitomer accords created an impossible alliance with all the instability that implies. Losing it would have been restarting like the worst war the federation has had.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's the "Star Wars Holiday Special" of Star Trek.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Luigi Thirty posted:

holy poo poo. Where they that bad off on 1991? The had the be getting paid pretty well to do conventions plus revenue from the movies.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bonzo posted:

holy poo poo. Where they that bad off on 1991? The had the be getting paid pretty well to do conventions plus revenue from the movies.

im sure they were fine. 1991 saw ST:VI released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Don't be a racist. He's just a black guy on a scifi TV show.

• Locked thread