Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Fleece is fleece is fleece. Your 5$ wallie world jacket will perform basically the same as your 200$ North Face jacket, and was probably made in the same factory.

North Face used to make nice stuff, but then they realized people would pay obscene sums to have NF branded clothes, so they basically ditched any real attention/products they had devoted to outdoorsy pursuits.

I have their 'furnace' sleeping bag and its nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One other really good North Face product I've been happy with is their Cat's Meow sleeping bag. It's been my do everything bag for over 7 years now. It's finally starting to show it's age as the loft is starting to get compressed but it's been a rock solid bag over it's time. Will be sad to see it go when it's time to retire it to the dog kennel.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, it's weird how NF is now a fashion thing. I love their shoes for work and the other day I wore a new pair and had like 3 dudes comment on them in a manner that suggested they were not outdoor enthusiasts.

Can anyone recommend a cheap to midprice pullover hoodie made of something non-cotton and with thumb holes? The trick is that I don't want some huge logo on it, which rules out NF and UA. I want it as a compressable, fast drying, and "disposable" layer for cold mornings at work and fishing. It is going to get covered in grease and blood so I don't want to get the $160 TAD gear one I am currently pineing for.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

All outdoor clothing has become a fashion thing, it's 'authentic' for when there's wind at the bus stop.

The number of people I see wearing $600 archteryx jackets just walking down the street is astounding. The more expedition rated an article of clothing is, the more likely someone in Manhattan has it for strolling a few blocks to wait in line at Trader Joe's.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

bunnielab posted:

Yea, it's weird how NF is now a fashion thing. I love their shoes for work and the other day I wore a new pair and had like 3 dudes comment on them in a manner that suggested they were not outdoor enthusiasts.

Can anyone recommend a cheap to midprice pullover hoodie made of something non-cotton and with thumb holes? The trick is that I don't want some huge logo on it, which rules out NF and UA. I want it as a compressable, fast drying, and "disposable" layer for cold mornings at work and fishing. It is going to get covered in grease and blood so I don't want to get the $160 TAD gear one I am currently pineing for.

Not sure what price range your looking for but checkout the Patagonia R1 Hoody. Very comfortable fleece pullover with hood and thumbholes. The Backcountry link shows them selling it for $160, but if you look around it is possible to find them on sale closer to $100 from time to time (that what I paid).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
$800+ Canada Goose Down parkas were completely sold out this winter and people were flipping them on the secondary market to yuppies in NYC.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Just because there's gear being sold to the general public doesn't mean some of it's not legit, though. For example, 99% of what Eddie Bauer sells is stuff for trendy moms to wear taking their strollers on power walks, but their Peak XV series is still world-class mountaineering gear. Patagonia gets called Patagucci for a reason, but a lot of what they still is still drat good clothing for people who need it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

bunnielab posted:

Outdoor Research Radiant stuff is exactly what you're looking for if you need to Amazon or store shop,

Or if you can score the black or green or brown polypropylene tops the military issues on the cheap they work great.. eBay and milsurp stores are your friend here.

Also: I'm officially calling bullshit on Merino Wool. There's not a goddamn thing that Merino Wool does better than synthetic alternatives, except retain far more water and dry way loving slower. The wet wool still insulates thing is completely retarded bullshit for thin layers of wool, and dubious for the thicker scratchy poo poo.

The worst part is there's smart experienced loving people that are gonna perpetuate the "Wet wool still insulates" myth.

Ugh.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

OSU_Matthew posted:

Fleece is fleece is fleece. Your 5$ wallie world jacket will perform basically the same as your 200$ North Face jacket, and was probably made in the same factory.

North Face used to make nice stuff, but then they realized people would pay obscene sums to have NF branded clothes, so they basically ditched any real attention/products they had devoted to outdoorsy pursuits.

On the contrary, there is a quality range in fleece fabrics. Cheaper stuff will take less kindly to frequent washing and develop little nubs. Cheap thin fleece will tear more easily than the more expensive types. And besides that, there's also the quality difference of the finished product (zippers, seams, mesh pockets, etc). A new 5$ fleece jacket might keep you just as warm as a new 200$ one, but it won't last as long. Of course the latter probably won't last 40 times longer, but then you're also paying for the insurance that your zipper won't break while in the middle of nowhere.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

$800+ Canada Goose Down parkas were completely sold out this winter and people were flipping them on the secondary market to yuppies in NYC.
650 fill bullshit, too. I wear my dead bird stuff everywhere because it's legit good for everything. 99% of clothes are cut to look a certain way when you're standing around, and are completely aggravating to wear biking to work or even just standing in a bit of weather.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

There's not a goddamn thing that Merino Wool does better than synthetic alternatives, except retain far more water and dry way loving slower.
Smells less. Lower environmental impact. That's about it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Wool is good if the alternative is cotton. But synthetics are simply better.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

650 fill bullshit, too. I wear my dead bird stuff everywhere because it's legit good for everything. 99% of clothes are cut to look a certain way when you're standing around, and are completely aggravating to wear biking to work or even just standing in a bit of weather.

I can't speak to the $800 stuff, but I picked up one of these in January when it was $21. When I went to Boston a week later, it kept me warm just fine even at night. Sure it has no hood and doesn't cover my rear end, but come on, man $21!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Smells *way* less. Seriously, not even on the same planet.

Ed: nanosilver washes out after about ten washes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

I can't speak to the $800 stuff, but I picked up one of these in January when it was $21. When I went to Boston a week later, it kept me warm just fine even at night. Sure it has no hood and doesn't cover my rear end, but come on, man $21!
That's completely fine. What's ridiculous is paying close to a grand for what canada goose sells.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

haha I didn't realize Canada Goose was a brand. I read your post all wrong.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Speleothing posted:

Smells *way* less. Seriously, not even on the same planet.

Ed: nanosilver washes out after about ten washes.

The AT smells so terrible...so so terrible. Problem is that wool stuff usually falls apart faster, but synthetics in the warm and humid environment like the AT just smell loving awful and you can't get that smell out after weeks of hiking in it.

Depends on whether you care about that though. Wool/Synthetic blends can work pretty well also

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I wear thin merino wool t-shirts when biking in the summer because once I meet up with friends I can dry out and not stink up a storm.

That said I like by jackets and whatnot baggy so I'm perfectly happy with cheap Columbia gear.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
N'thing in on merino being superior to synthetic purely for the smell. I also find it more comfy against the skin, especially when sweating because it doesn't seem to stick as much. It's obviously a personal preference but nearly every piece of outdoor/active base layer clothing I own is merino except for exofficio boxer briefs because those are the slam yo.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Ya'll enjoy trying to dry your merino wool out in 60 degree humid rear end air.

I own a merino wool beanie, if it gets wet too much into the wool before I realize it then the thing is soaked for at least 24 hours without access to a dryer.

Your absolutely right it's personal preference, but it's pretty undeniable that the only objective leg up wool has over synthetics is that in the early stages of owning Merino wool you'll smell less bad. After a few days on the trail, or a handful of launderings, you'll stink just as easily and bad.

All to the tune of a fabric that absorbs and retains more water than any other option. And I've noticed it tends to be pricier around here too, as well.

I wonder why someone hasn't made some kind merino wool thread DWR treatment? I know they love to add loving silver filaments and poo poo for odor reduction..

Darn Tough wool socks are, however, amazing. They're downright awe inspiring with some synthetic liners.

I also like me some Ininji Toe Socks, not gonna lie. They're something else when your looking for activewear socks. NO DAMM TOE BLISTERS. When those mad scientists at Darn Tough add fully cushioned anatomically correct merino wool toe socks with a lifetime guarantee I'll buy 6 pairs for $30 a pop and will finally feel mankind has summited the peak of sock technology.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There are merinos with dwr. They're very expensive sweater-jackets. Why you'd want dwr on a T-shirt is beyond me.

And my merino never gets stank, I don't know what your problem is. Though I don't buy the sweaters, only the tees and undies and socks.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Problem is that wool stuff usually falls apart faster,

Is this true

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it is. I wear SmartWool underwear pretty much all the time because I do a lot of walking around and they don't hold up as well as whatever random cotton thing you could be wearing. But they are so much nicer.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, it is. I wear SmartWool underwear pretty much all the time because I do a lot of walking around and they don't hold up as well as whatever random cotton thing you could be wearing. But they are so much nicer.

Seems like there are enough places that offer lifetime warranties on clothing that should counteract this.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
In the market for my first lightweight warm weather tent. I take my dogs everywhere with me so I wonder if I need a 1 person or 2 person to accommodate 1-3 over nighters? One is 45lbs and the other is 17lbs.

Probably in the $200 range but willing to go up a little, although always willing to save some cash.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 24, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I find most 1 person tents barely accommodate 1 person let alone gear as well. My passage 2 is great for 1 person and gear with a little room to spare but it might even be tight with 2 dogs. I think REI makes 2 and 2.5 person tents that won't weigh you down. Especially in warmer months where you don't need as much gear, a 2 person might do fine.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'll be near an REI this weekend and I'll check their tents out!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I was trying to decide between Zpacks backpack and HMG and then I saw that Zpacks only have a 1 year warranty. And then I saw that HMG only has a 1 year warranty. I can double this by buying it with my AMEX card, but still, 2 years versus lifetime from a lot of the major brands is a real bummer when I'm looking at spending $300+ on a pack. Are there any manufacturers who make super light cuben fiber packs with lifetime warranties?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thoren posted:

Is this true
Mosdef. Nylon blends are usually the way out.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

In the market for my first lightweight warm weather tent. I take my dogs everywhere with me so I wonder if I need a 1 person or 2 person to accommodate 1-3 over nighters? One is 45lbs and the other is 17lbs.

Probably in the $200 range but willing to go up a little, although always willing to save some cash.

Check out ebay. I got a big agnes ul2 brand new with a ripped bag for that price.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Verman posted:

I find most 1 person tents barely accommodate 1 person let alone gear as well. My passage 2 is great for 1 person and gear with a little room to spare but it might even be tight with 2 dogs. I think REI makes 2 and 2.5 person tents that won't weigh you down. Especially in warmer months where you don't need as much gear, a 2 person might do fine.

The REI Half Dome 2 is what I have. I've never gone backpacking with it overnight but it's a great tent. Not too heavy and with the footprint or another tarp you can set it up for way lighter ways.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

DholmbladRU posted:

Check out ebay. I got a big agnes ul2 brand new with a ripped bag for that price.
UL2 :hfive: My local REI had two at the gear sale for $80 and $100, brand new in bag. I sold the one I bought 3 months prior for like $50 less than I bought it for, picked up the $80 one. :smuggo:

Edit: I bought an UL2 for myself to solo camp, because I assumed that a 1 person tent is basically a half person tent, when you are 6'2 and want to keep your pack dry at night.

Though I did use it over the summer on a hike with my sister. We just shoved the packs down at the end, both air pads fit snugly.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Fwiw, Nemo makes 'dog-liners' for most of their tents to protect the floor against claws and make the fabric more comfortable for them.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

its no big deal posted:

The REI Half Dome 2 is what I have. I've never gone backpacking with it overnight but it's a great tent. Not too heavy and with the footprint or another tarp you can set it up for way lighter ways.

I have the Quarter Dome 3+, and it is way more than enough room for 2 people plus gear. It's a nice tent, goes up fast and keeps me dry, I love it. It even comfortably fits 3 people but we can't all get our backpacks in there. Can't speak for the smaller ones though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hungryjack posted:

I was trying to decide between Zpacks backpack and HMG and then I saw that Zpacks only have a 1 year warranty. And then I saw that HMG only has a 1 year warranty. I can double this by buying it with my AMEX card, but still, 2 years versus lifetime from a lot of the major brands is a real bummer when I'm looking at spending $300+ on a pack. Are there any manufacturers who make super light cuben fiber packs with lifetime warranties?

The smaller manufacturers probably can't really offer that "lifetime warranty" kinda stuff that big names do. ULA seems to have a lifetime warranty for manufacturing defects, etc, but if you rip a big hole in it or snap a stay they're probably not gonna replace it for free.

However, most of them will do repairs if something happens and charge you less than ditching it and getting a whole new pack

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Getting pretty tired of constantly putting tears in my merino leggings, anyone have a suggestion for thin synthetic leggings/long johns/whatever?

Levitate posted:

My wife has a Stoic Hardon

fixed

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The worst part is there's smart experienced loving people that are gonna perpetuate the "Wet wool still insulates" myth.

Ugh.

As I demonstrated earlier in this thread, wet cloth does still insulate! It just insulates less than dry, and if evaporation is occurring at maximum rate (test was performed with soaking wet fabric in a dry, heated room), then it insulates less than no clothing at all due to evaporation heat loss. It still insulates! Wet clothes are not thermodynamically impossible energy conduits!

Every single human being who has sweated in a rain knows that wet clothing still retains heat. I'm not able to prove this at the moment but I can basically guarantee you that if you redid Ross GIlmore's test outside during the rain you would find that the insulation value of wet clothing relative to dry is higher than it was in his test due to water-saturation of the air & overall lower temperature.

I like cheapo polypropylene leggings. It's a great material for textiles, water bottle caps, and model airplanes!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
So let's say I wanted to live in a few sets of t-shirts for a long time, rotating them every few days. Would synthetic be a better choice than wool? Point me to some products here, people. :unsmith:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I've read that something people do when having a mental break due to cold/hypothermia is that they get naked. So, if they were in soaked clothing under certain weather conditions, that's actually correct and better than being in your soaked clothes?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
http://www.livescience.com/41730-hypothermia-terminal-burrowing-paradoxical-undressing.html

On my 21 Grand Canyon trip I rotated between about 3 shirts. The one polyester shirt I had was almost instantly stinky to the point where I could smell it on myself after a day of wearing it. Wool is great and I find I can wear the same piece in a wider range of temps. If you're talking tshirts why not just wear cotton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blinkman987 posted:

I've read that something people do when having a mental break due to cold/hypothermia is that they get naked. So, if they were in soaked clothing under certain weather conditions, that's actually correct and better than being in your soaked clothes?

No, not necessarily. I'd imagine much of the time that stage of hypothermia occurs, the clothing is perfectly dry, and it's the dilation of the capillaries that causes the intense feeling of searing heat that makes people want to strip down. I think it's the same science that touching something lukewarm/something cool simultaneously simulates a feeling of intense burning, basically how your brain interprets the mixed signals.

With regards to wet clothing, neoprene works by trapping a thin layer of water to the skin, which your body heats up. Depending on how fast evaporation occurs/the loft of the fabric, I'd imagine a similar mechanism plays a role in addition to the straight evaporative/heat transfer for synthetics/wool.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 25, 2015