Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, seconding Risk of Rain, it's really good and sounds like what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pay for ToME because darkgod is cool and made a cool thing and gave it away for free and still does.

That was a good KS update today madjack. If someone here who is a poor wants dungeonmans, AND has posted at least 10 times in this thread, quote this and post your steam ID.

I think i have spare non-dmans keys too to give away, but i'm not sure and will have to check.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am not poor but i want dmans and post a lot. your call internet man

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Picked up Risk of Rain, for $2 why not? Seconding ToME, it's got some issues but overall is really slick and lots of fun.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

i am not poor but i want dmans and post a lot. your call internet man

Works for me. Dyou have me on steam?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ToxicFrog posted:

Please recommend me some! The only ones I've played are 99 Levels to Hell and Rogue Legacy, and neither really held my interest. Rogue Legacy had the best go at it, with the whole building-up-your-keep-between-characters aspect, but I reached a point where I could reliably beat bosses 1 and 2 but couldn't even get to boss 3 except through sheer dumb luck and eventually stopped playing.

E: and Spelunky, but I've made it to DL08 in Spelunky all of once out of many, many, many runs.

Basically I guess I'm looking for a platformer-roguelike that has some sort of character progression beyond "you can carry an item" but doesn't have the steep difficulty cliff of Rogue Legacy.

It's only technically a Roguelike but Super House of Dead Ninjas is really fun. That, Rogue Legacy and Spelunky were what I was thinking of, so if you've played those two I dunno much else.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jordan7hm posted:

Works for me. Dyou have me on steam?

i think i used to but dont see your name now. im here http://steamcommunity.com//id/sa_awesome/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

LawfulWaffle posted:

I see a lot of scuttlebutt about most of the games, but anyone have thoughts on whether or not I wasted my money on Eldritch, Shattered Planet or Legend of Dungeon? I'm going to be playing solo, if that changed to LoD opinion. I've also been playing Dungeon of the Endless, felt good about finally getting to the fifth floor.

Lprsti99 posted:

Guess I'll give Eldritch a pass then.

Re: Necrodancer, waiting on a reply from the dev because right now it crashes on startup without producing any logs, and I've already tried all of the suggestions I could find.

Eldritch feels like Dishonoured to me. In the sense that you can be sneaky but its twice as fun to cry havok and set loose upon lovecraftian fodder with a knife and a slasher grin. I did a few videos on it if you want to watch them with little verbal input on my part.

Here and here. The second one's better in my opinion, both are raw twitch stream footage because little more was needed honestly.

Its a wonderfully short and fun game that's deceptively hard, world 1 is pretty tame, but world 2 will murder you're unprepared arse. Hey, its also a game where you can punch a penguin. Thats pretty unique right? :haw:

Hope this helps! Play Eldritch, dont be put off by its looks. Its not Minecraft, Its low-res dishonoured with fish people. :unsmith:

E: and the sound track is Sooo gooooood.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 25, 2015

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I've played a bit of Eldritch and all I gotta say it, gently caress those lizard statues :argh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My one complaint with ToME is that starting a new character can get really, really repetitive, especially if you're starting with the same class/race. I've been through the Trollmire with a Cormac Berserker way too many times now, but darnit, I want to take one to the end of the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The endgame is really repetitive. Have fun with 6 dungeons full of orcs in a row.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

The endgame is really repetitive. Have fun with 6 dungeons full of orcs in a row.

This is so true even though i like tome. Once i beat dcss i immediately started a new game. Once i beat tome i stopped playing forever. Need to go back to it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like some of the ideas in ToME but gently caress actually playing it again. There's this narrow band between maybe Daikara and the Master that can be pretty fun but otherwise you're just sleepwalking through til it finally generates the right kind of randboss to poo poo on your build.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I fired up Necrodancer for the first time in a few months, picked up Cadence, and played all the way from zone 1 to zone 4 and beat the Necrodancer on my first attempt :smuggo:

Now I can never play again because ha ha ha ha ha that's not going to happen again anytime soon. But man, titanium longsword + ring of courage is just about the perfect setup for learning how stage-4 enemies work, because you hit like a truck and the ring of courage gives you a turn of invincibility after each kill to help you figure out how enemies move.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Risk of Rain, but it's not 'heavy' roguelike. Still a great game though.

:doh: I've actually played RoR too. Of the ones listed it's probably the one I like the most, but I can't seem to figure out how to operate most of the classes.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I fired up Necrodancer for the first time in a few months, picked up Cadence, and played all the way from zone 1 to zone 4 and beat the Necrodancer on my first attempt :smuggo:

Now I can never play again because ha ha ha ha ha that's not going to happen again anytime soon. But man, titanium longsword + ring of courage is just about the perfect setup for learning how stage-4 enemies work, because you hit like a truck and the ring of courage gives you a turn of invincibility after each kill to help you figure out how enemies move.

Since the release I've played through Cadence, Melody, and Aria, and died on Aria's final boss.

I then tried practicing against the boss. I've tried about 100 times now and haven't managed it yet.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Necrodancer's biggest strength is the enemy names at the end

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Please recommend me some! The only ones I've played are 99 Levels to Hell and Rogue Legacy, and neither really held my interest. Rogue Legacy had the best go at it, with the whole building-up-your-keep-between-characters aspect, but I reached a point where I could reliably beat bosses 1 and 2 but couldn't even get to boss 3 except through sheer dumb luck and eventually stopped playing.

E: and Spelunky, but I've made it to DL08 in Spelunky all of once out of many, many, many runs.

Basically I guess I'm looking for a platformer-roguelike that has some sort of character progression beyond "you can carry an item" but doesn't have the steep difficulty cliff of Rogue Legacy.

It's not on steam as of yet, but Tower Climb is an amazing roguelike platformer. Lots of tension, stupid deaths, valuable golden berries to lure you to your stupid death, and one of my favorite ideas in any platformer--double jumps are a limited resource.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

Vagante hasn't been mentioned i dont think, it's pretty cool and hard

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Since the release I've played through Cadence, Melody, and Aria, and died on Aria's final boss.

I then tried practicing against the boss. I've tried about 100 times now and haven't managed it yet.

I'm fairly consistent at the boss. What's giving you trouble?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In Necrodancer I accidentally cleaned the Spear from my item pool and did not know you could reset. Will the spear appear again the the Hephaestus shop?

EDIT: Hold up, nevermind. It appeared again after I reset the game.

Really cool game by the way.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 25, 2015

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

In Necrodancer I accidentally cleaned the Spear from my item pool and did not know you could reset. Will the spear appear again the the Hephaestus shop?

As far as I know, this isn't necessary. It will appear again without you having to repurchase it.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

Is anyone an IVAN 'expert'? I've made it through the underwater tunnel for the first time (outside of wizmode) due to sheer luck, and I'm wondering what kind of 'ascension kit' I should be trying to assemble to maybe live long enough to die to something cool. My current equipment:
code:
Helmet: ommel bone helmet +1 [AV13]
Amulet: -
Cloak: -
Body Armor: Iron Chain Mail [AV 6]
Belt: Belt of Carrying +1 [AV 3]
Right Hand Wielded: a mithril sickle +3
Left Hand Wielded: an ebony shield
Right Ring: a ring of searching
Left Ring: -
Right Gauntlet: -
Left Gauntlet: - 
Right Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
Left Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
and inventory:
code:
ring of polymorph
2 cans full of troll blood
can full of banana flesh
bottle full of troll blood
2 scrolls of enchant armor
scroll of golem creation
scroll of detect material
scroll of repair
holy book of Legifer
holy book of Atavus
wand of teleportation
wand of mirroring
wand of lightning
wand of polymorph
oil lamp

As the other poster said you need to go beat the sumo wrestler in the starting town to get the levitation belt otherwise all the landmines in the next dungeon will probably kill you. It's possible to just have fire resistance + armour but you don't have fire resistance. The first dungeon is best spent building stats to fight the sumo. Spend a minute running on the world map before you start; then go buy some bananas so you don't get hungry. Probably your endurance will go up naturally a bit from fighting. Get some unarmed fighting in to level that skill up. Then go beat up the sumo.

Also get a box to put your stuff in or it will all get destroyed (scrolls / wands etc)

An ascension kit is high stats + high armour + powerful weapon + mirroring charges + maybe some other stuff that is less important if you want (teleport charges, control teleport, etc.).

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 25, 2015

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

It's not on steam as of yet, but Tower Climb is an amazing roguelike platformer. Lots of tension, stupid deaths, valuable golden berries to lure you to your stupid death, and one of my favorite ideas in any platformer--double jumps are a limited resource.

Ohshit I forgot I bought this.

It is very much a puzzley sort of roguelike platformer reminiscent of a reverse spelunky where you have to figure the best way to climb rather than drop. It is extremely difficult, and the limited amount of resources has you constantly debating whether or not to grab that extra berry to get more stuff such as bottles of doublejump or extra lives later, or to not be suicidal and just go for the exit, but die a slow death as you lose the resources needed to continue on. When people talk about roguelikes, I think of the trifecta of difficulty, permadeath, and resource management, and Tower Climb demonstrates these wonderfully.

I have to download the latest version and get back to climbing towers, and you guys should look into it because its a cool game for cool people.

Edit: Price is 5 bucks right now, if you were wondering.

Tetrakarn fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 25, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sacrificial Toast posted:

This is super cool and I don't regret paying $5 for it but the latest beta version being from 2 years ago is a little disheartening

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 25, 2015

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Big Sean posted:

An ascension kit is high stats + high armour + powerful weapon + mirroring charges + maybe some other stuff that is less important if you want (teleport charges, control teleport, etc.).

In addition to this, if you actually want to complete the game, controlled teleport is basically necessary since later enemies will teleport you all over the map. From like GC 7 and onwards playing without controlled teleport is seriously risky. You also want to consider polymorph control for later on, especially if you want to go deeper.

Putting your stuff in a box is right. You also want to get an unbreakable light source; Flaming swords are the most common one but putting anything that glows in a can also works, if I recall correctly. Also, when you start going into the GC, it's about time to choose an alignment (lawful/chaotic/neutral) and regularly pray to the gods of that alignment once you've built up some affection. God-stuff is a good way to actually win because the game will generate crazier and crazier monsters if your OWN stats become too high. Like, you can facetank the final boss but if you do that the game will probably generate an enemy that is super fast and can straight up decapitate you if it gets next to you.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

lets hang out posted:

This is super cool and I don't regret paying $5 for it but the latest beta version being from 2 years ago is a little disheartening

Well, the next addition to the game is Chapter 2, essentially doubling the length of the game. It's still very much in active development if you check his Twitter (well, as of February).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For anyone doing the Necrodancer daily challenge today, pick up the scroll of transmutation on floor 1. There is a Ring of Becoming in the shop on floor 2.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

i think i used to but dont see your name now. im here http://steamcommunity.com//id/sa_awesome/

Donzo.

I do have a couple roguelikes to give away to anyone who wants them / will play them or at least try them.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Gold x2
Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Paranautical Activity (this game sucks, even ignoring how moronic the devs are. I can't believe I loving kickstarted it)
Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Binding of Isaac Collection (not rebirth)
Quest of Dungeons

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 25, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thank you! :D

i was looking for your full name instead of just 7hm

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Here's some more Qud keys. I'm particularly interested if anyone can still reproduce a lockup when zoning (not a crash)

The latest build should also fix the issues where you'd come back to a zone like Joppa and it would be reset. I'd like to know if anyone sees that behavior in the latest build.

*taken 5Q??J-XHZ7Q-87KGG (not a mac)
*taken P6RKN-T??0M-4JEWD (George Clooney vs Noah Wyle)
*taken ??04F-TBCM0-I8HYH (a little worse than regular canned vegetable juice)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 25, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first one was PC and I took it. That's another game of yours I'll have to buy for someone at some point.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Unormal posted:

Here's some more Qud keys.
You already gifted me Sproggi, so I'll wait to buy Qud. Just wish I could buy it faster :)

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010
Got the second one, thanks! Excited to for Coq without having to bootcamp.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Unormal posted:

??04F-TBCM0-I8HYH (a little worse than regular canned vegetable juice)

Got this one (it was V7).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got a quest to take care of some rats eating crops in the first town, but I can't find the guy I need to talk to. He's supposed to be near the farms and I've been to all three and not run into him.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jordan7hm posted:

Donzo.

I do have a couple roguelikes to give away to anyone who wants them / will play them or at least try them.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Gold x2
Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Paranautical Activity (this game sucks, even ignoring how moronic the devs are. I can't believe I loving kickstarted it)
Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Binding of Isaac Collection (not rebirth)
Quest of Dungeons

I'd be interested in trying the Pit, if you still have it.

I was also going to ask what was so bad about Paranautical Activity, but then I looked at screenshots of it on Steam and recoiled - I assume it plays as bad as it looks? (Not a fan of the minecraft graphics)

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

jackofarcades posted:

I'm fairly consistent at the boss. What's giving you trouble?

I've started to get the hang of it now. My biggest problem has been getting nailed by the boss's surprise fireball while managing the dragons.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The Necrodancer would be about 10x less annoying to fight if he would stop saying REANIMAAAATE every two loving seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Justin_Brett posted:

I got a quest to take care of some rats eating crops in the first town, but I can't find the guy I need to talk to. He's supposed to be near the farms and I've been to all three and not run into him.

In CoQ? He's in the big building at the north end of the starting town.