Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, I run 195/60/15 with steels during the winter on the TDI and I just put my 235/35/19s back on Monday.

How tiny do the brakes look with the 19's? If a 15" wheel clears them, they must be pretty tiny in those 19's.

This brings up one of my biggest automotive pet peeves, large wheels with itty bitty brakes. The reason for massive wheels should be to allow for massive brakes. Although it's usually guys going with aftermarket wheels that are the real culprits, the oems tend to at least upsize the brakes on their performance models.

Case in point: a lovely riced del sol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bajaha posted:

How tiny do the brakes look with the 19's? If a 15" wheel clears them, they must be pretty tiny in those 19's.

This brings up one of my biggest automotive pet peeves, large wheels with itty bitty brakes. The reason for massive wheels should be to allow for massive brakes. Although it's usually guys going with aftermarket wheels that are the real culprits, the oems tend to at least upsize the brakes on their performance models.

It's a symptom of people "knowing" that sporty cars have big wheels, but not really understanding why that happened in the first place.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Golf R420 has supposedly been green lit for production.

So if it comes to the US(rumored it will if it goes to production) we'll get to see what the market is for a $50k Golf. It would have to be really special for me to spend that much. For me personally, $40k or so is the most I could probably stomach without jumping up to something else.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

So if it comes to the US(rumored it will if it goes to production) we'll get to see what the market is for a $50k Golf. It would have to be really special for me to spend that much. For me personally, $40k or so is the most I could probably stomach without jumping up to something else.

Heh.

Agree though, I'd be hard pressed to pony up that much when there are established marquees at that price point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bovril Delight posted:

Heh.

Agree though, I'd be hard pressed to pony up that much when there are established marquees at that price point.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/vw-executive-confirms-production-golf.html

I love this idea like I love the Hellcats. If it comes to the USA I'd be seriously looking at it as long as there wasn't some sort of fatal flaw. I love my R, what wouldn't there to love about a super R?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I need to get rich and Audi needs to bring the RS3 Sportback here around the same time that happens. I need 5 cylinders and an AWD system that can do 100% rear bias. I neeeed it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

I need to get rich and Audi needs to bring the RS3 Sportback here around the same time that happens. I need 5 cylinders and an AWD system that can do 100% rear bias. I neeeed it.

I made this post in the new car thread, but I don't understand why the RS420 doesn't use the 5 cylinder. It's already going to cannibalize sales of the RS3 provided they bring both of them here, just give it a slightly detuned version. They're both going to cost more than I'd be willing to spend on them, so it doesn't matter for me, it just doesn't seem to make that much sense. If VW sells 500 of the RS420 a year I'll be shocked.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fknlo posted:

I made this post in the new car thread, but I don't understand why the RS420 doesn't use the 5 cylinder. It's already going to cannibalize sales of the RS3 provided they bring both of them here, just give it a slightly detuned version. They're both going to cost more than I'd be willing to spend on them, so it doesn't matter for me, it just doesn't seem to make that much sense. If VW sells 500 of the RS420 a year I'll be shocked.

It's weird too because I read an interview with some Audi engineers where they said that while they could get more power out of the 2.0L the powerband was peaky and laggy and that adding the extra cylinder with a slight displacement bump made the car a lot more fun to drive. Apparently VW did not get this memo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

8ender posted:

It's weird too because I read an interview with some Audi engineers where they said that while they could get more power out of the 2.0L the powerband was peaky and laggy and that adding the extra cylinder with a slight displacement bump made the car a lot more fun to drive. Apparently VW did not get this memo.

More like they just don't care - that car is all about the numbers anyway

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

I was blind to this in the first place but removing the clutch springs on my FOsT took ten seconds and made driving so much better.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Eelface posted:

I was blind to this in the first place but removing the clutch springs on my FOsT took ten seconds and made driving so much better.

Ok, little confused here. Are you guys saying this took out play in the clutch pedal? My 13 FoST has never had a bit of play in the pedal. 1/8 off the floor and it's slipping, 1/16 from rest and it's slipping. I'd love a little play in it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Poisonlizard posted:

Ok, little confused here. Are you guys saying this took out play in the clutch pedal? My 13 FoST has never had a bit of play in the pedal. 1/8 off the floor and it's slipping, 1/16 from rest and it's slipping. I'd love a little play in it.

Like most manual transmissions cars, the FoST and FiST have clutch pedal helper/return springs. They push the clutch pedal upwards to meet the driver's foot, and depending on how strong they are, they can make the clutch feel heavier, or make it feel numb. Removing the spring means the pedal is only being pushed back to the driver with the clutch's spring, not the helper, which means the clutch pedal will only travel upwards to the point that the clutch is engaged, possibly leaving some "slop" or wiggle room at the top of travel.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bajaha posted:

The car came with 17"s. GTIs look awesome with 18" and the particular wheel I bought only came in 19 and 20, so ya. Speaking of wheels, I neeeeeeeeeed these.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/new-audi-tt-coupe-mans-up-with-414hp.html

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Like most manual transmissions cars, the FoST and FiST have clutch pedal helper/return springs. They push the clutch pedal upwards to meet the driver's foot, and depending on how strong they are, they can make the clutch feel heavier, or make it feel numb. Removing the spring means the pedal is only being pushed back to the driver with the clutch's spring, not the helper, which means the clutch pedal will only travel upwards to the point that the clutch is engaged, possibly leaving some "slop" or wiggle room at the top of travel.

Makes sense, just couldn't get it into my head last night. Might have to try it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

fknlo posted:

I would have a hard time buying a current Golf R since $40k on a tarted up Golf is a lot never mind $50k. I am also a snobby european who bought a MK6 GTI in the US since it has the Euro spec interior unlike the new MK7 that are made in Mexico with the typical USDM plastic interior of doom. Probably going to buy my current one out at the end of the lease and then watch everything go wrong in typical end of warranty fashion.

Sigma X posted:

They don't have a hydraulic clutch? I am so used to one by now that going back to an unassisted one would feel weird for a little bit. Are the USDM FiST and FoST close to the EU versions?

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 28, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BigPaddy posted:

...They don't have a hydraulic clutch? I am so used to one by now that going back to an unassisted one would feel weird for a little bit. Are the USDM FiST and FoST close to the EU versions?
The FiST has a hydraulic clutch, and although I don't know for certain, I'm pretty sure that the FoST does as well. As for differences between US and UK FiST and FoST? No idea. I know the trim levels between the two sales regions are different.

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
I picked up a 2013 Focus ST so I joined the club!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Ace944 posted:

I picked up a 2013 Focus ST so I joined the club!

White is the best, kind of want to trade my silver for a white with a sunroof.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

White is the correct colour. Welcome.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BigPaddy posted:

I would have a hard time buying a current Golf R since $40k on a tarted up Golf is a lot never mind $50k. I am also a snobby european who bought a MK6 GTI in the US since it has the Euro spec interior unlike the new MK7 that are made in Mexico with the typical USDM plastic interior of doom. Probably going to buy my current one out at the end of the lease and then watch everything go wrong in typical end of warranty fashion.

This is where you are mistaken. The 15 and 16 R are made exclusively in Germany. The MK7 is also considerably lighter and stiffer than the mk6. A fully spec'd out GTI is already 32-34k if you get the power pack, sunroof, dsg and autobahn.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Bad news. Australian pricing for the Audi RS3 has been released and it looks like it won't be possible to get one with a comparable specification to the Mercedes A45 I'll be replacing with it for less than $105000, or about $25000 more than the A45. The RS3 is not $25000 more car. Audi Australia have completely missed the mark.

Volkswagen Australia don't have any plans to bring the Golf R400 to Australia but I'm sure it will get here eventually. Fortunately the place where I have a deposit for the RS3 is also a Volkswagen dealer, so I can just change the paperwork.

I think this is just a convoluted way of keeping the A45. Sigh.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 2, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sigma X posted:

So I'm guessing that means the clutch on the ST is nothing like my 5-speed SE? I don't really know how it's set up, just for me it's super easy to tell what's going on with the clutch and as long as I'm paying attention it's great. But that's coming from a 4.0 5-speed Jeep Wrangler and its clutch is so finnicky that I literally have to re-learn how to use it every time I wear a different pair of shoes, just to keep from stalling it, so I may just have low standards.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Removed the sound symposer from my FiST today, it's so much quieter in the cabin now. I can hear the turbo much more clearly, it sounds so much better without it.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
:siren: NOT A FOST/FIST/VELOSTER POST :siren:

AMA about paddles in a hot hatch

Iconic Racism fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 7, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sir Winston Beehill posted:

:siren: NOT A FOST/FIST/VELOSTER POST :siren:

AMA about paddles in a hot hatch

Holy poo poo dude, timg that crap.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
Sorry I'm phone posting so didn't see any issues, hope it's fine now

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nope, still broken as gently caress. Timg the pics

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Finch! posted:

Bad news. Australian pricing for the Audi RS3 has been released and it looks like it won't be possible to get one with a comparable specification to the Mercedes A45 I'll be replacing with it for less than $105000, or about $25000 more than the A45. The RS3 is not $25000 more car. Audi Australia have completely missed the mark.

Are you kidding? That's outrageous pricing. And the reviews of the RS3 haven't been totally gushing either. Why the hell would you buy one over an A45...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I've got an appointment to go in and order a Fiesta ST (because apparently black-on-black with Recaros is a combo nobody wanted) - aside from the Recaro package, are there any other must-have options? I didn't see any on the online configurator, but...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma X posted:

I've got an appointment to go in and order a Fiesta ST (because apparently black-on-black with Recaros is a combo nobody wanted) - aside from the Recaro package, are there any other must-have options? I didn't see any on the online configurator, but...

With black on black you should request an upgraded A/C package and a lifetime pass at the local carwash.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Illuminated Fiesta logo door-sill plate.

And molten orange with matching interior because that's proper hot hatch color.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

With black on black you should request an upgraded A/C package and a lifetime pass at the local carwash.
I live in the south, as well. Humid hot days are in my future - and probably ceramic window tint.

SFH1989 posted:

Illuminated Fiesta logo door-sill plate.

And molten orange with matching interior because that's proper hot hatch color.

I currently own a bright yellow Porsche. I don't need : Anything that calls attention to me; anything designed to call attention to the model trim.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

As someone who owns a black fiesta, it shows every single speck of dirt. Scratches also stand out quite vibrantly. I don't think I've managed to get the thing truly clean since I bought it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xsf421 posted:

As someone who owns a black fiesta, it shows every single speck of dirt. Scratches also stand out quite vibrantly. I don't think I've managed to get the thing truly clean since I bought it.

Even if I get my orange one clean the wheels are filthy after 10 minutes of driving. So much brake dust. I'm at 4000 miles now, does it ever calm down with the brake dust?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

xsf421 posted:

Take it to a detailer, or wash it, claybar it, and then keep it waxed.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I'm at 4000 miles now, does it ever calm down with the brake dust?

13500 miles in, no it doesn't

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mad.radhu posted:

13500 miles in, no it doesn't

Maybe I should just get some black wheels and be done with it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

Buy aftermarket ceramic pads to replace the stockers, enjoy reduced brake dust?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GutBomb posted:

Why don't wheels come in brake dust color? WHY!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

Buy aftermarket ceramic pads to replace the stockers, enjoy reduced brake dust?

My 2004.5 GLI had obscene amounts of brake dust too. It finally stopped when I had the brake pads replaced around 50k due to one pad delaminating and halfway exiting the car. Luckily I noticed it before it dislodged itself and damaged anything. The brake pads on the new Golf don't seem to have much dust at all and stop just as well as the GLI did..