Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Brady leads Mith and Rik through Scooby-Doo Mystery, an adventure game with platforming elements released by Acclaim in 1995. We will be playing the SNES version rather then the Genesis version. We play as Shaggy Rogers and Scooby-Doo, who help solve various mysteries with other members of Mystery Incorporated who serve minor roles during gameplay.

Characters:

Norville "Shaggy" Rogers is a cowardly slacker more interested in eating than solving mysteries. Shaggy has a characteristic speech pattern, marked by his frequent use of the hedge word "like" and, when startled, his exclamations of "Zoinks!". His nickname derives from the shaggy style of his sandy-blond hair. He also sports a rough goatee. His distinctive clothing consists of a green v-neck T-shirt and brownish red bell-bottom pants.

Scoobert "Scooby" Doo is a male dog and lifelong companion of amateur detective Shaggy Rogers. Scooby and Shaggy share several personality traits, mostly being cowardly and perpetually hungry. But their friends (Velma, Daphne and Fred) encourage them to go after the costumed villains, usually with "Scooby Snacks", a biscuit-like dog treat or cookie snack (usually shaped like a bone or, in later versions of the cartoons, Scooby's dog tag), though Scooby's inherent loyalty and courage does often force him to take a more heroic stance.

Velma Dinkley identifies objects given to her. If she is given a clue, she tells Shaggy & Scooby what it is and keeps the object. When she has been given all the clues, she solves the mystery!

Daphne Anne Blake gives out Scooby Snacks. She starts each level with 3. Shaggy & Scooby can go to her at any point and ask her for one. Each Scooby Snack makes Shaggy & Scooby brave enough to face anything and clears the Frightometer. She doesn't like rats.

While the clues are being collected, Frederick "Fred" Jones tries to design a trap to catch the villain. When the mystery has been solved, Shaggy & Scooby have to find Freddy so he can show them the blueprint of the trap.

Episodes

Images

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Let's Play update guys!

In this episode, We travel to a parallel dimension, Brady faces an insurmountable nemesis, Erik deciphers more of the ancient scriptures, we learn Daphne's true weakness, and Velma murders a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzsuukWYfyk

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
LP Update guys!

Freddy™ exists on a different plain, knows how to blast doors, and doesn't value your life. MYSTERY SOLVED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fcTFZI3uk

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So a TNT barrel lets Velma figure out that the thieves are diving to get loot from ship wrecks? And not... cause them to happen?

I guess that's why she said Fred would know what to do with it.

I think the Scooby Doo series had a couple of out of nowhere characters be the villain.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I played this game. I still have it. Problem is, sometimes the game bugs out because I don't follow a sequence of events perfectly, so either an item won't spawn (which would be something I need) or the monster never gets caught in the trap (forever).

I still enjoyed this game. Was fun. Hell, the box actually advertised Cartoon Network (when it was still good).

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

bman in 2288 posted:

I played this game. I still have it. Problem is, sometimes the game bugs out because I don't follow a sequence of events perfectly, so either an item won't spawn (which would be something I need) or the monster never gets caught in the trap (forever).

I still enjoyed this game. Was fun. Hell, the box actually advertised Cartoon Network (when it was still good).

Oh yes, the game is... Less than stable, as we discover later on.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Let's Play update guys!

Freddy™ isn't allowed to pick vacations anymore. Speaking of trademarks, meet Brady Vision™!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQTJXvK-WY

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Let's Play update guys!

Groo-groo-groo-groo-groovy! Too bad we already blew the Sandwich Dimension title, because this one was particularly intense. Ah well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprPSKAnpUM

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Sorta sad this is not getting more replies, enjoying this so far and I'm about to watch Epiosde 5.

Thank you for beating this game for me, I was too lazy as a kid to get over how bad it played. (Like the jungle book snes game!)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The whack-a-monster minigame may seem a bit difficult, but realize something right now: there's only one variation of the minigame itself, meaning that you just need to memorize that pattern, and know what power-ups to pick up first, and you're golden.

If I'm on my game when playing this, I can get perfects all the time. And speaking of which, if you don't want to use the d-pad to swing the hammer, the Y, B, and A buttons will work as well. That's a lot more precise for me.

That parrot that wouldn't be defeated by the trolley is the first instance of the weird stuff that happens in this game. But this is the first level, and it's the least broken, so there's that. I haven't started watching the level 2 videos, so when I'm done with that, I'll chime in again with broken stuff I remember.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Holy poo poo THIS GAME!

I played it as a kid! But I could never get past the first level. Whenever a Scooby-Doo Let's Play shows up I watch it to try and figure out if it was the one I remember from the past. But this is it.

I am so glad I saw this.

This is great. Thank you so much for playing this.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Hey guys, thanks for all the enthusiasm, it really means a lot to us and we are excited to keep on posting it, please check back on Monday for the next episode and have a great weekend!

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
This game occupies a weird place in my heart. Its not very good, and I knew that as a kid, but I always really enjoyed playing it. There is just something in the way each of the mysteries are presented as you play the game that captures the essence of Scooby-Doo.

I also seem to be in the minority in that I never had a problem with this game that caused me to get stuck. I would usually die to some bad platforming (usually in the third level), then just get bored with it for the day.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Mr. Highway posted:

This game occupies a weird place in my heart. Its not very good, and I knew that as a kid, but I always really enjoyed playing it. There is just something in the way each of the mysteries are presented as you play the game that captures the essence of Scooby-Doo.

:hfive: You and me both! That's exactly how I felt about this game as a kid. And how I still feel about it now, to be honest haha. It's not that great of a game, there's so much wrong with it and I still love it so much. It just feels like such a fun game.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Mr. Highway posted:

It makes sense because that's kind of how Scooby-Doo itself was. It wasn't *great* but there was some kind of weird magnetism it had, at least to me, that made me ignore all the flaws in favor of it's positives and tune in religiously. I've watched every series of Scooby-Doo and some of them are worse then others, and some are fantastic (Mystery Incorporated was great) but I've never gone 'I can't watch this' to Scooby-Doo.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

"Hahaha I agree with these guys, I knew it was an off game but I loved it because it was just pure scoobert " -Brady

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Picking up the projectile weapon for this level really helps. I hope you guys notice it eventually. That being said, the bullshit of this game becomes very apparent when enemies can scare you when you're leaving a screen. You'd think that the devs would have removed your hitbox, or turned off enemy hitboxes when you activate screen transitions. I mean, I've died due to that oversight, where Shag/Scoob would leave the area, enter the new one, and immediately run away due to the fear they accumulated from an enemy I couldn't even see anymore.

But honestly? The game has a ways to go in terms of brokenness.

Also, I really enjoyed the bounce pit when I played, too.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

Danger is everywhere. All is death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sz73EqGca4

bman in 2288 posted:

Picking up the projectile weapon for this level really helps. I hope you guys notice it eventually.

We get it eventually, but as sorta shown off in this video our mic setup prevented Brady from seeing anything bottom center. We all agreed that no one was at fault for the mic setup, least of all me. Honest.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Haha, oh god I have so many memories of being stuck as a kid on the exact same spot you guys were in at the beginning of that video. Also, gently caress yeah I also love Terror Time and I also know I shouldn't. It's absolutely awful in every way but I won't lie, it's in my workout playlist to this day.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
What I wanna know is, where's the caveman?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

Guys lets remember to get a stand or a boom or something god drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yifnScbkEU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Is there a game older than this with a "sanity meter"? Also, Fred looks like he's constantly playing pocket pool.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Oh hey, you found the platform that I saw you fall past earlier.

And I'd like to imagine Fred banged the Welding mask on the lock to break it. After he said he need it to break the lock, not that he needed it to use the welding torch to use on the lock.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

If they don't get you, Velma will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPBHyBXW8s8

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Is there a video error in that episode? there's a point where the screen hangs while you're clearly doing stuff.

EDIT: No, just when I was watching it that time, a refresh fixed it. Weird.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Shaggy is just holding the map up for Scooby.

"The Janitor was fired, but why would a ghost clown need a spare red nose?"

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Kgummy posted:

Shaggy is just holding the map up for Scooby.

That is such an elegantly simple explanation that I'm surprised it never crossed our minds.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

Oh man look at all these animations in the opening cutscene. This is where it gets intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MahVmQu0oIU

First post will be updated once the robots stop attacking

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

Right outside the platforming segment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoV2E0m4FLg

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Guys. The werewolf was the janitor's nephew. He literally said so when you caught the clown.

Also, this stage is the one where I had to stop the game most often, because the game poo poo itself most often here. Just saying.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Finally caught up with this mess and am glad I never made it past level one because there would have been no way for me to get past level two and it's Unicycles of mayhem.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

Guys... guys... the footprints... Now it is all of we who have egg on our face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnt0EJiwQjo

bman in 2288 posted:

Guys. The werewolf was the janitor's nephew. He literally said so when you caught the clown.

Yeah, we caught that in editing, but since we were never shown catching the nephew I like to think that he still haunts that carnival to this very day.

nendymion posted:

Finally caught up with this mess and am glad I never made it past level one because there would have been no way for me to get past level two and it's Unicycles of mayhem.

The Unicycles have destroyed us psychologically, I see them when I close my eyes.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

The mystery of Old Man Grumper 's land continues while we delve deeper into the oddities of the gang. Or... you know... just oddities in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dju68wLZN8

Alternate titles: The Other Shoe Drops, or, It Hits the Fan.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Best game. :allears:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
And that's why I hate this level. You may think it's funny, but then when this glitch happens to you, you'll bang your head on the wall as you do the level over and over again to make it work.

Oh, and if they made it to the other screen? He still has a chance of bugging out, going past the fan and just getting stuck there. Also, when the items reset due to the bug, I've often ended up picking up two extra tar monster masks. This is not a well-developed game. But I still enjoyed it.

Now I just have to remember what the last level is. Because I forgot.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

Let's push this as far as we can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZrvqngXkZ0

You are my new favorite person.

bman in 2288 posted:

This is not a well-developed game. But I still enjoyed it.

Now I just have to remember what the last level is. Because I forgot.

Nostalgia is a powerful force my friend, and you have 24 hours to remember the next level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The main mystery of the game is locating the point where they stopped testing it.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mystery Update guys!

In which Erik scares us with his Three Stooges knowledge. Oh, also blood everywhere we guess.

Also I'd go into some Stooge corrections, but we'll save that for another adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7sD_GKBRAw

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

MithosKuu posted:

Mystery Update guys!

In which Erik scares us with his Three Stooges knowledge. Oh, also blood everywhere we guess.

Also I'd go into some Stooge corrections, but we'll save that for another adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7sD_GKBRAw

Oh.

This level.

I knew it was a mansion, but I almost never got here because the previous mystery always pissed me off when I'd eventually run into that bug. So my memory of this place is... lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I've only got one thing to say:

Vamp Out!

• Locked thread