Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Raku posted:

You need to watch his episode of the Captains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MEYMMDhKk

well he sure is bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Don't be a racist. He's just a black guy on a scifi TV show.

Lol fuggen goons

Op, he does play the character really weirdly but keep watching and youll soon get what he was trying to do.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Sisko can be a bit weird at first but those mannerisms will really grow on you. I often find myself just smiling like an idiot when he takes it to the more extreme.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

iraqniphobia posted:

Sisko can be a bit weird at first but those mannerisms will really grow on you. I often find myself just smiling like an idiot when he takes it to the more extreme.

in the pale moonlight is basically an entire episode of this and it fuckin rules

E: it rules for many reasons tho

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

iraqniphobia posted:

BASEball

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As played tho, Sisko is a bad captain. Starfleet really should have replaced him when he became Bajoran Jesus and DS9 became an actually important posting.

He's the worst guy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dicere posted:

"Hell, no we don't need to build a station here. We salvaged this station after the Cardassians left. It would be stupid to build our own when they left a perfectly good one right here. And I mean, look at this place. Starfleet can't build character like this. I don't wanna be walking down loving beige corridors all day or typing on square little bubble panels of various shades of depressing orange. I love coming to work and seeing these trippy wavy lines set in black and aquamarine. Look at this panel. THAT's culture, man. Just quit being a baby, get out of your linguistic comfort zone, and learn to read Cardassian. Everyone else here did."

Dicere posted:

*insists on guarding a strategic asset by inhabting a 30 year old repurposed ore mining facility built by slave labor. is almost vaporized weekly by faulty or absent failsafes. stays there almost a decade and doesn't so much as start constructing a more appropriate starbase. has the best bar in the quadrant.*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Angela Christine posted:

As played tho, Sisko is a bad captain. Starfleet really should have replaced him when he became Bajoran Jesus and DS9 became an actually important posting.

He's the worst guy.

Of course he was poo poo.
He was sent to a loving dead space station in the middle of loving no where to clean up the mess from third rate Elvis lizard nazi's.
It was a dead ended job to begin with.

But he got lucky when the wormhole was discovered and they couldn't fire his rear end without the space catholic Bajoran's crying about it.
They even tried to ram his rear end into a desk job when the Bajoran cock sucking was taken out of the equation.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
sisko had no right to construct a new starbase. it wasnt a federation starbase. they were there at the discretion of the bajorans and lol if you think they're letting any other foreign powers construct a fortress in their border immediately after being occupied for 2 generations

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So what you're saying is that the Minbari bajorans wanted him, a Minbari not born of Minbar Bajoran not born of Bajor there even though he stank because he was their space Jesus space Jesus

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 25, 2015

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
A Minbari not born of Minbari.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

thank you

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
The writers on DS9 weren't afraid to punish Sisko for loving up. I mean, he becomes obsessed with Edington for wounding his massive ego and then get kicked in the teeth repeatedly for it and he just never learns. "I meant to destroy that planet."

And of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs

Sisko made bad choices but he wasn't flat out insane like Janeway or comically incompetent like Archer. Come to think of it that's one of the few things Enterprise did right, of course the first Starship captain is going to gently caress up repeatedly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Let us English posted:

Come to think of it that's one of the few things Enterprise did right, of course the first Starship captain is going to gently caress up repeatedly.

For the first few episodes, sure, until the realization that 'gently caress these aliens are truly alien to us' sets in.
But they never seem to do that with Enterprise.
Its all 'thats not how we do it back on Earth' and 'we are better than you dirty aliens' vibe.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRpB0ntGV8

found this vid of him being a normal, lucid human so i think he just makes the character act wacky

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe they have anti-boner tech? Otherwise it was really cruel to stick teenage boys in them.

In the Star Trek universe we've evolved beyond boners.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Of course he was poo poo.
He was sent to a loving dead space station in the middle of loving no where to clean up the mess from third rate Elvis lizard nazi's.
It was a dead ended job to begin with.

But he got lucky when the wormhole was discovered and they couldn't fire his rear end without the space catholic Bajoran's crying about it.
They even tried to ram his rear end into a desk job when the Bajoran cock sucking was taken out of the equation.

you seem very angry about star trek.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what you're saying is that the Minbari bajorans wanted him, a Minbari not born of Minbar Bajoran not born of Bajor there even though he stank because he was their space Jesus space Jesus

So what's the Babylon 4 and chrysalis machine in this analogy?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

ThirdPartyView posted:

So what's the Babylon 4 and chrysalis machine in this analogy?

Terok Nor and orbs I guess?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Still pushing through the final episodes of DS9, and Rom is in no way qualified to be Grand Nagus.

Dude clearly can't bring the profit, but whatever.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah some of that poo poo in these older shows always rewarded people in the main and supporting cast with some really far fetched conclusions for their arcs.

And they lived happily ever after. :allears:

Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 4, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Babylon 5 did like the exact same thing with Vir and his servant.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

bollig posted:

Still pushing through the final episodes of DS9, and Rom is in no way qualified to be Grand Nagus.

Dude clearly can't bring the profit, but whatever.

The Ferengi Alliance joined the Federation in the extended universe. Just took complete economic collapse for it to happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shadow posted:

Yeah some of that poo poo in these older shows always rewarded people in the main and supporting cast with some really far fetched conclusions for their arcs.

And they lived happily ever after. :allears:

Like how Worf was made ambassador to the Klingons? Maybe that should go to a diplomat and not the uber-spergy "Honor honor honor" guy.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Like how Worf was made ambassador to the Klingons? Maybe that should go to a diplomat and not the uber-spergy "Honor honor honor" guy.

No poo poo lol. Worf was not only a goon with humans, he was a goon with Klingons. Let's have the guy who can't get along with ANYONE be an ambassador! :thumbsup:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Shadow posted:

No poo poo lol. Worf was not only a goon with humans, he was a goon with Klingons. Let's have the guy who can't get along with ANYONE be an ambassador! :thumbsup:

this happens all the time irl

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's called the Bolton Effect

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just saw some episode where Captain Picard gets arrested and tortured by some weirdo alien dude who feeds him bad eggs and brings his daughter to work just to point out how lame humans are to her. Can someone explain for me how Starfleet weren't wiped out long ago if they're the kind of outfit loving stupid enough to entrust a dangerous secret infiltration mission in enemy space to some ancient French dude known for entirely for peace, diplomacy and monitoring spacial anomalies and poo poo, backed up only by Doctor Milf and a snarling brick shithouse Klingon guy? Don't they have Space Ninja Commandos to sneak that poo poo or anything?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

:rip: Yeoman Rand

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i think there were five lights and i love big brother

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sentinel Red posted:

Can someone explain for me how Starfleet weren't wiped out long ago if they're the kind of outfit loving stupid enough

everyone around them is even dumber, that's how

lol

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

Just saw some episode where Captain Picard gets arrested and tortured by some weirdo alien dude who feeds him bad eggs and brings his daughter to work just to point out how lame humans are to her. Can someone explain for me how Starfleet weren't wiped out long ago if they're the kind of outfit loving stupid enough to entrust a dangerous secret infiltration mission in enemy space to some ancient French dude known for entirely for peace, diplomacy and monitoring spacial anomalies and poo poo, backed up only by Doctor Milf and a snarling brick shithouse Klingon guy? Don't they have Space Ninja Commandos to sneak that poo poo or anything?

Starfleet only gets by because for every crew of peace-loving gadabouts there's 10 more full of jingoistic hotheads with boners for covert action. The galaxy probably poo poo all over the Federation after Section 31 was disbanded.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

everyone around them is even dumber, that's how

lol

Or this.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Spakstik posted:

The galaxy probably poo poo all over the Federation after Section 31 was disbanded.

Wait, when did this happen?

I'm sad now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blazing Ownager posted:

God drat it'd suck to work night shift with her alone. Or ever be with her alone.

One thought of how much that you despise such a worthless crew member outranking half the people on board, and you'll never be on her good side again. Plus every time you roll your eyes at her obvious "emotional reading" you'd get a dirty look.

ED: Also given she plays, and loses at poker... yeah, holding a straight face can fool her. She's terrible.

in real militaries doctors and dentists and what-not are often relatively high-ranking, but they're not in the normal chain of command. you wouldn't get a dentist ever taking command of an aircraft carrier despite the fact that as a lieutenant commander he has a higher rank than someone else.

also those poker games are already pretty crazy. geordi's visor can clue him in on physiological changes when someone's lying (or poo poo could probably just see through the cards). data can watch and keep track of all the cards perfectly if he wants to.

riker probably knows how to mask his emotions well enough for troi not to pick up on it.

anyway my guess would be that the tng writers (or the early series ones, at least) would have said that troi wouldn't be bothered by someone feeling like they would like to bang her, because in the ~evolved sensibilities of the 24th century~ it's not a big deal that people want to gently caress, so as long as they were respectful to her there wouldn't be a problem

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Harveygod posted:

Didn't O'Brien and Bashir basically shut down Section 31 when they (indirectly) killed Sloan? Or did that episode end with "well he was just one guy, who knows how many others there are?"? I actually can't remember, I thought it ended with S31 becoming an even more rogue organization and the leadership cutting ties with them. If I'm making all that up then I want to amend my previous post to say that S31 is the only thing keeping the galaxy from making GBS threads all over the Federation.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Harveygod posted:

I'm sad now.

Died Friday, apparently.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/entertainment/feat-obit-grace-lee-whitney-star-trek/

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

basket weave hair is only possible with technology from the future of the 60s

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

well, you see, its actually a TV show and watchers want to see the main heroes get in trouble...

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

well, you see, its actually a TV show

ITS REAL!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its a fake!