Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I added a section in the OP for Ozone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, I thought people may like to see a 30-second test clean I made on a couple of patches of this smokey Pug's interior:

Mmm, lovely....

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Not sure if this is the right thread, but what do you guys do for cloudy headlight lenses?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nostratic posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but what do you guys do for cloudy headlight lenses?
Polish with a plastic polish, perhaps starting with fine wet-sanding if they're really bad.

The all-in-a-box kits that Meguiar's, Turtle Wax etc do work well.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There's a 3M kit that attaches to a drill. Try that and let me know what you think as I've been considering grabbing one :D

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

The 3M kit works good, just make sure you have an electric drill or a powerful cordless with batteries you can charge and swap. I just used one on an '06 LS430 awhile ago, and then tore the dash apart and used it to polish the cloudy plastic over the clock/temperature display too. Took me about an hour for each headlamp.

There's more than enough in one kit to do both lights, just take your time and use more than a few layers of painter's tape because one slip up with the dry sanding discs will burn through a single layer of tape and down to your paint in a second. Make sure you prime the foam polishing pad well with the rubbing compound provided but be prepared to wash the car afterwards too unless you want rubbing compound on your paint as you're still going to get at least some splatter here and there.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Cool, I wasn't sure if any of those kits were worth it or not. I'll give them a try. Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just found a good deal on a basic buffer - 90w and 3500RPM. Would this be good enough for your basic home polish or do I need note speed/flexibility?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus christ I hate seagulls. I'll be damned if I don't have to wipe poo poo off the car every time I use it. Haven't really got any alterantives for parking right now neither.

Lots of lubrication + microfiber towels + straight wipe, fold and use new part of towel is ok right?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

MrOnBicycle posted:

Jesus christ I hate seagulls. I'll be damned if I don't have to wipe poo poo off the car every time I use it. Haven't really got any alterantives for parking right now neither.

Lots of lubrication + microfiber towels + straight wipe, fold and use new part of towel is ok right?
Put a towel over it, pour hot water on the towel until it is soaked, let sit for 5 minutes, remove towel/wipe. The hot water softens up any, uh, solids so they are easier to remove and you're less likely to scratch up the paint.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I suggest a shotgun.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

There's a 3M kit that attaches to a drill. Try that and let me know what you think as I've been considering grabbing one :D

I tried it and it worked like a charm. The lenses are massively improved, and would likely be totally clear if hadn't misplaced 2 of the coarse sanding discs (only to find them after I finished). Definitely worth $20 and an hour or two of sanding.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd recoat the headlights with something afterwards. They do a great job polishing but the UV just makes them yellow again in 6 months. Not sure what the best solution for that is, though.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Larrymer posted:

I'd recoat the headlights with something afterwards. They do a great job polishing but the UV just makes them yellow again in 6 months. Not sure what the best solution for that is, though.
There's a new Meguiar's kit that has a coating solution in it too, but it says it only keeps them from yellowing for a year.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The 3M kit has a protectant in there, it looks like auto wax. Not sure how long it'll last.

I'll probably look at other coating stuff just for the heck of it, I'm going back to Autozone to get a kit for my wife's car tomorrow.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
One of my clients used Deep Woods OFF (mosquito and tick repellent) on his Mustang's headlamps last week. Looked good, but I wonder if it'll last and how much they'll yellow later or if there are any side effects.

Not considering it on my truck since I just use the aftermarket enclosed replacements and recently replaced mine.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Arriviste posted:

One of my clients used Deep Woods OFF (mosquito and tick repellent) on his Mustang's headlamps last week. Looked good, but I wonder if it'll last and how much they'll yellow later or if there are any side effects.

Not considering it on my truck since I just use the aftermarket enclosed replacements and recently replaced mine.

AFAIK DEET is a solvent that eats away at the plastic. A lot of detailers claim that this is a total hack method of headlight restoration, but keep in mind some of these same "geeks" have a multi year long thread about painting headlights with diluted spar urethane - which of course is not at all a hackjob, but instead an amazing innovative DIY idea.

With any headlight restoration technique if the restored headlight is not coated with something to protect the lens from UV it'll deteriorate again in short order.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Scott808 posted:

AFAIK DEET is a solvent that eats away at the plastic.

Yeah I got that poo poo all over my digital camera when I was travelling and it made an awful mess - not something I'd intentionally let into contract with plastic

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yup, it messed up the face of my Timex (hence why I buy cheap watches.) How does it improve the headlight lens?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
It's supposed to eat away the surface of the headlight that is damaged. The accepted proper method is to abrade away the damaged layer with sandpaper/compound/polish until you get to the clear plastic underneath. DEET is supposed to get you to the same goal, but instead of abrasives, you're using a solvent to eat away the damaged layer.

This guy has a decent video on it, including showing how the DEET is actually eating away at the surface of the light. Before washing it off the lens is left tacky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmbBZntuY8

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How do I deal with this?

All the way to the metal, almost an inch long.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrOnBicycle posted:

How do I deal with this?

A) Touch-up paint. Straight out of the bottle, brushed on very carefully into the scratch. The touch up paint will reduce significantly as it dries, so plan on a few coats. Let it sit for a few weeks (even a couple months), then wet sand until smooth and polish.

B) DrColorChip. Wipe on, let try and buff with their solution. Do this a few times to fill in the scratch/build up the paint. Easier method, similar end result, just costs a bit more on the front end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrOnBicycle posted:

How do I deal with this?

Bricks usually don't have metal under.... Oh.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

How do I deal with this?

That is shiny Jesus Christ ! Got a pic of her whole car??

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

Bricks usually don't have metal under.... Oh.

I swear, I thought the same thing.

I just looked quick and thought "The gently caress? Why are you trying to fix a brick with a scra- oh."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Scott808 posted:

It's supposed to eat away the surface of the headlight that is damaged. The accepted proper method is to abrade away the damaged layer with sandpaper/compound/polish until you get to the clear plastic underneath. DEET is supposed to get you to the same goal, but instead of abrasives, you're using a solvent to eat away the damaged layer.

This guy has a decent video on it, including showing how the DEET is actually eating away at the surface of the light. Before washing it off the lens is left tacky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmbBZntuY8

Same guy also has a video on doing it properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Bape Culture posted:

That is shiny Jesus Christ ! Got a pic of her whole car??
Haha. I couldn't find the pictures in my phone at first because I thought I had taken dumb pictures of some brick wall by accident.

Only got lovely phone pictures:

Anyway it's a 2014 V70.
I'm gonna go with taking the insurance hit. Found out we have some package thing that makes the deductible pretty cheap ($120, instead of the $350 it could have been) and it's a new car. Was so pissed of yesterday I went into "Can I fix this myself" mode which was pretty silly of me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Haha. I couldn't find the pictures in my phone at first because I thought I had taken dumb pictures of some brick wall by accident.

Only got lovely phone pictures:

Anyway it's a 2014 V70.
I'm gonna go with taking the insurance hit. Found out we have some package thing that makes the deductible pretty cheap ($120, instead of the $350 it could have been) and it's a new car. Was so pissed of yesterday I went into "Can I fix this myself" mode which was pretty silly of me.

If you want more than a touched-up area, $150 would go a long way with a PDR/Scratch repair guy. I'd much prefer that than having a whole panel painted on a new car.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I really hate my black car until I take the time to detail it properly, and then I love my black car. For about 2 days, then it looks awful again.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What is the general ball park for clear bras? Thinking of getting one for the [NA] Miata, maybe just the bumper cover.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I had automotive grease and grime all over my arms and elbows last night and forgot to wash it off before getting in my new car. Now my nice new tan interior has grease and poo poo where I rested my elbows. Soft leather fabric, cloth, and hard leather (center console armrest). Please tell me how to get this off.. I was thinking of using like a Gojo hand wipe.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Polish posted:

I had automotive grease and grime all over my arms and elbows last night and forgot to wash it off before getting in my new car. Now my nice new tan interior has grease and poo poo where I rested my elbows. Soft leather fabric, cloth, and hard leather (center console armrest). Please tell me how to get this off.. I was thinking of using like a Gojo hand wipe.

Steamer/spot bot/D100 + soft bristles. Take your pick.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I really hate my black car until I take the time to detail it properly, and then I love my black car. For about 2 days, then it looks awful again.

As a 4 time black car owner I can relate, cleaning mine tomorrow.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

blk posted:

What is the general ball park for clear bras? Thinking of getting one for the [NA] Miata, maybe just the bumper cover.

Broadly in the Seattle area it's anywhere from $500 to 1500 depending on skill of the installer, cleanliness of the shop and quality of material used.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the best way to deal with paint oxidation? Can you wetsand through it to level everything out and run clear over the top? It just covers the roof so if it looks like poo poo then going and blowing some paint on it really isn't terrible.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What's the word on leather interiors on modern cars and the use of conditioning? The manufacturers say use conditioning, but the nerds say that since the leather is clear coated, conditioners can't get through and is a waste.
Don't really want to waste money on something that is useless.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the best way to deal with paint oxidation? Can you wetsand through it to level everything out and run clear over the top? It just covers the roof so if it looks like poo poo then going and blowing some paint on it really isn't terrible.

Wetsanding cures just about everything, but might be more aggressive (and way more work) than you need. How bad is the oxidation? Try a terrycloth towel and some meg's ultimate compound on a very small area. Rub until your arm falls off. If it shows any improvement, a RO and some slightly more aggressive compound should remove the oxidation.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I'm just about ready to sell the Vibe and I've got a problem. The headliner is dirty as hell (apparently 6 years of being a tall mechanic/tireguy/general slob/smoker is bad for headliners). Apparently these cars had the 'bunch of fluffy poo poo glued to a board' style and are even more sensitive to cleaning than the regular 'foam and fabric glued to a board' ones.
All the places I've called either refused to lay a finger on a headliner or wanted more than a new headliner's worth to clean it, so I'm DIYing. Is there a nice mild cleaner that'll lift a bunch of dirt without hurting the cheap adhesive? Should I just light it on fire and order a new one? I'm kinda new to this 'giving a drat what a car looks like' thing :ohdear:

Also, the seats in my Lexus are pretty dry and rough, and starting to crack a bit (the driver's side bolsters are actually pretty severe). I've hit 'em with leather conditioner a couple times over the last 6 months, can I expect these to recover at all or am I just stopping it from getting worse at this point?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've had some success with the Turtle Wax "Oxy" stuff they sell at Canadian Tire. I have no idea if it's actually decent long-term but it does a not terrible job on beigey headliners.

You just dampen it (don't soak it) and then rub with a terry cloth. If your headliner really is that sensitive to water damage it might be best to spray the towel itself and apply the wet towel instead of the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I went at it with a combination of Folex (recommended by another vibeguy) and Glym interior shampoo (the only product I could find that said 'headliner' anywhere on the bottle) today. The former was working a little (got 60% of the worst spot), switched to Glym and it was better but by that point it was getting too damp so I'm going to let it dry before I give it a fair shot.