Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between my friends and I, I've been able to read a lot more of the minis than I thought I would, and a few stand out over the others, at least at this stage of the event. Some personal highlights include...

Wonder Woman defending some old lady's right to religious delusion in the absence of her much-needed pain medication

Steel whacking Gen 13 with a giant hammer

Renee Montoya in anything, period

Supergirl as a bright, positive influence on Superman instead of her constant anger-torture throughout New 52

Ted Kord bringing the banter

Oracle revealing her badass edge in a fight just in time for the cliffhanger

Antagonizing Aquaman by knocking a goldfish out of a bowl and stepping on it

I've still got a ways to go, but Catwoman/Supergirl Matrix/Parallax/Shadow of the Bat/Teen Titans/Atom/Harley Quinn/Justice League/Batgirl/Batman & Robin were all stylistic placeholders that all felt like cutouts of each other. Still a lot of this week's minis to catch up on.

The main Convergence series was doing okay (Jeff King's godawful narration notwithstanding) until the scene imitating The Killing Joke plopped in for no reason.

Then again, The Killing Joke is soaring up the NY Times Bestselling hardcover comics chart, so I guess dashes of grimdark are aimed at that bloodthirsty audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Week 4 previews

Blue Beetle
http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-preview-convergence-blue-beetle-1/

Crime Syndicate
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-convergence-crime-syndicate-1/1100-152068/

Plastic Man and The Freedom Fighters
http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-convergence-plastic-man-the-freedom-fighters-1/

e:

bad day posted:

Have they explained what the deal was with that repeated spread? Because that was just weird. Even Rob Liefeld didn't pull that poo poo.

I just checked Comixology. They've fixed the spread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 24, 2015

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Have they explained what the deal was with that repeated spread? Because that was just weird. Even Rob Liefeld didn't pull that poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spoilers from the FCBD issue are being run by Bleeding Cool and, well, I'm utterly baffled at them

:psyduck:

EDIT: Interview with Jurgens about Bat-Mite

quote:

Nrama: OK, let's talk about the tone of this comic. Obviously DC is more open to humor comics these days. But is Bat-Mite from the same vein as Harley Quinn and other humor comics?

Jurgens: Mmm... not quite. Bat-Mite and Harley are similar in that they inhabit the DCU. But Bat-Mite is a very different character with a very different mission. The book is still going to feature a certain kind of "out there crazy," but the flavor will be a bit different than Harley's.

Nrama: OK, then let's discuss what makes Bat-Mite different. Most people are at least a little familiar with Bat-Mite from either the comics or the animated universe. But who is he in your comic? How do you introduce him?

Jurgens: Bat-Mite will first be introduced in an 8-page ”sneak peek” in issue #2 of Convergence: Supergirl: Matrix in May.

As for what he's doing here?

Bat-Mite is here to "fix" the broken heroes of the DCU. No matter who they are, he finds them flawed. Think of him as a personal life coach who's here to show them how to improve their lives.

Of course, he finds all of them broken somehow — even Batman.

To a certain extent, he's an editor gone berserk.

So loving sold on this title :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 24, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was a short Amethyst cartoon in the DC Nation Shorts. It's... alright, I guess? The Prince as a skeleton is kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkd5mYvKWig

Amethyst was basically WB doing the prototype to Star vs. The Forces of Evil, then throwing it in the trash.

It's such a good take on a D-list Crisis casualty that of course it went nowhere and was shelved.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
DC just tweeted that Frank Miller is doing a new Batman series called "The Dark Knight III: Master Race."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm honestly really surprised they agreed to give him any Batman work after the Holy Terror debacle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trast posted:

DC just tweeted that Frank Miller is doing a new Batman series called "The Dark Knight III: Master Race."

AKA Batman vs The Terrirists Nazis, I assume

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

Is this a troll job?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Is this a troll job?

You missed the lady with the crew cut and swastika pasties over her boobs in the first two?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

So Azz is co-writing. Isn't this the thing Miller was supposed to be working with Scott Snyder on?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Madkal posted:

Is this a troll job?

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/24/superstar-writerartist-frank-miller-returns-to-batman

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Not drawn by Miller/Varley, co-loving-written with DC staffers, movie tie-in - not real Dark Knight.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Not drawn by Miller/Varley, co-loving-written with DC staffers, movie tie-in - not real Dark Knight.

That's what makes it sound good

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Honestly this all sounds a lot like Azzarello grabbed a bunch of Miller's notes and fleshed them out, Chris Tolkien style. Given Miller's health status I can't see him putting in a lot of time writing or drawing this.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Love the overtly fascist title.

This already owns.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Batman, the final solution against crime.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can't we just have him finish ASB&RtBW instead?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Isn't the hold up on Jim Lee's end?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

movie tie-in

Are they not supposed to make new Batman comics in the next two years?

The announcement could easily have said "See the epic conclusion to the inspiration for the upcoming mega blockbuster BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE." I'm sure it's nice to have in the lead-up to the movie, but they're not clearly capitalizing on that yet.

I wish the art was Frank's. He's probably too dying to do it, but just picture if the progression carried on from DKR to DRK2 and DKR3's art was just unintelligible garish abstraction.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 24, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Who, that old relic from the '30s? Shee-yah.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

At this point I would sacrifice Batman: Year One to go back in time and keep Miller away from the character forever.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

The announcement could easily have said "See the epic conclusion to the inspiration for the upcoming mega blockbuster BATMAN V SUPERMAN DAWN OF JUSTICE." I'm sure it's nice to have in the lead-up to the movie, but they're not clearly capitalizing on that yet.

I wish the art was Frank's. He's probably too dying to do it, but just picture if the progression carried on from DKR to DRK2 and DKR3's art was just unintelligible garish abstraction.

The teaser shows the bloody Supernan symbol and it seems that Frank is going to put Batman and Superman against each other for no reason (where can you possibly go after Kryptonite Hulk Hands?)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Batman, the final solution against crime.

I appreciate this post even if no one else does

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now where's that rumored Joel Schumacher comic? Gimme that.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

The teaser shows the bloody Supernan symbol and it seems that Frank is going to put Batman and Superman against each other for no reason (where can you possibly go after Kryptonite Hulk Hands?)

No other reason just like every other reason DC feels the need to put Batman over Superman. The millionaire sociopath versus the man from the sky who just wanted to do good. It's DC as gently caress.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Trast posted:

No other reason just like every other reason DC feels the need to put Batman over Superman. The millionaire sociopath versus the man from the sky who just wanted to do good. It's DC as gently caress.

Let's not pretend we don't all know where this is going.

:a2m:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I appreciate this post even if no one else does

It obviously shows your pure and superior Aryan eyes and sense of humor. :godwin:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Travis343 posted:

At this point I would sacrifice Batman: Year One to go back in time and keep Miller away from the character forever.

Hey, now.

ASB&R is hilarious.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It took 2 issues for me to get into Convergence, but issue 3 really hit it's stride for me. I wish I was more familiar with DC's multiverses but man this story is pretty drat cool.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I want to like Convergence, but... I just don't dig on the setup. "Hey, we're going to revisit all these old continuities that our fans know and love! ...and then they will battle to the death in Thunderdome!" is just... not my cup of tea. I didn't like Countdown:Arena, I'm not really liking this, either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sigma posted:

Can't we just have him finish ASB&RtBW instead?

Given the fact that he's basically a walking skeleton at this point I doubt he's going to be finishing much of anything unless they get a co-writer

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I want to like Convergence, but... I just don't dig on the setup. "Hey, we're going to revisit all these old continuities that our fans know and love! ...and then they will battle to the death in Thunderdome!" is just... not my cup of tea. I didn't like Countdown:Arena, I'm not really liking this, either.

Countdown: Arena's only saving grace was how bonkers batshit it was. This is just.........bland. And I think because I've been following Earth 2 and its nonstop ride to Apokolips Hell this just feels like fatigue. There's no downtime for me or quiet moments in the book, save for those that happen off panel. Just this frantic GOGOGOGOGOGOGO. I also enjoy how E2 Grayson just got possibly paralyzed after pre-Flashpoint Alfred gave him some badass Bat-clothes.

Main point embrace the loving ridiculous, cut the maudlin poo poo, have a Superboy-Prime equivalent and start going balls out. Give me a GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY. SOMETHING.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Can't you just get beyond Thunderdome?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

+
Booster Gold
http://www.newsarama.com/24279-booster-in-crisis-in-convergence-booster-gold-1-preview.html

Justice Society of America
http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/04/23/the-good-ol-days-are-back-in-convergence-justice-society-of-america-1/

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Blue Beetle

http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-convergence-plastic-man-the-freedom-fighters-1/

If this event is based on nothing but Batman Brave and the Bold episodes, I will consider this the best thing that ever happened in comics.

There are FOUR Ted Kords running around and I am loving this poo poo.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

gently caress you assholes teasing me with the real JSA again.

The only thing Convergence has remind is is how bad the Nu52 hosed some things up

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

gently caress you assholes teasing me with the real JSA again.

The only thing Convergence has remind is is how bad the Nu52 hosed some things up

The nu52 has been a knife slowly sliding into the ribs of all the great things that came before it, and Convergence is the blade being twisted.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I thought Frank Miller was dying, or was that just a rumour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

dragon_pamcake posted:

Blue Beetle

If this event is based on nothing but Batman Brave and the Bold episodes, I will consider this the best thing that ever happened in comics.

There are FOUR Ted Kords running around and I am loving this poo poo.

Who? The main one that Max killed, the Justice League 3000 version from Super Buddies, the Convergence: Blue Beetle one, and the Convergence: JLI one?

• Locked thread