Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For what it's worth, those phase transitions during the Brahman fight are really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Feinne posted:

There is actually a reason Seraph sounds like Sera, you'll see.

I guess I must have missed it, what was the reason?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Terper posted:

I guess I must have missed it, what was the reason?

Because Schroedinger sounds like Serph, and is effectively the other halves of the two.

Though they were too lazy to mirror their hair, which would have been cool and made more sense.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I wonder if the final fight was intentionally easy for story reasons? Brahman was most likely aware of what's been going on, being, y'know, Brahman, so it seems reasonable to me that he had already reached his conclusion to save humanity and initiated the fight as a "test of their resolve," or whatever. Being Brahman, even an SMT version of Brahman, he could almost certainly have annihilated them easily, but instead he... didn't take it easy on the crew, per se, but put forth just enough effort to make sure they worked for it. Plus, you know, seeing if they were willing to go up to bat against friggin' God on behalf of humanity. That takes some serious chutzpah.

It's a thought, at least. The optional bosses are much more final bossy to me, it's not like they forgot how to make a proper boss here at the end.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe I missed it being mentioned somewhere is that a "unique" feature of Brahmastra is that I believe it doubles in damage each time it's used. And I believe as it gets higher up the name of the attack starts glitching out. (Been a while since I last played so maybe I'm misremembering)

But yeah thanks for the LP and showing how it can be curbstomped.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Because Schroedinger sounds like Serph, and is effectively the other halves of the two.

Though they were too lazy to mirror their hair, which would have been cool and made more sense.

That reminds me, you also mentioned you had reasons to believe Angel lied about being intersex or whichever, but can't go into them without spoiling the entire game. Can you go into them now?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks a ton Dragonatrix. This was a great trip down memory lane.

Always makes me sad how weak Brahman is, but maybe it's intentional as mentioned above.
Divine Identity is probably by favorite SMT/Meguro track. You've got that amazing slow synth/orchestral opening, that really makes you feel you're up against something incredibly imposing (too bad its attacks aren't), before immediately going to that much faster techno beat for the actual fight. Then around a minute in it slows down with a sad sounding piano-focused part, before going all out with that last hopeful part. It's pretty much perfect final boss material and I love it.
Weirdly enough I keep wanting to compare it to Darkness from P3, which is another of my favourite tracks. I think it's because it has a pretty similar structure, despite the wholly different context and style evoked.

Terper posted:

For what it's worth, those phase transitions during the Brahman fight are really cool.
It really fits in with the theme of what Brahman is. It's not the ship that's moving to another face, so much as the entire world shifting and revolving around it. It's pretty great.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

That reminds me, you also mentioned you had reasons to believe Angel lied about being intersex or whichever, but can't go into them without spoiling the entire game. Can you go into them now?

I've just always had suspicions that David was somehow her father but Angel doesn't want to talk or think about him and came up with some other explanation.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Ha, almost forgot about this.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe the cat becomes the third party member, ever consider that?

So about that...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I never noticed the Nocturne Terminals. That... That sure is a thing. I think it is interesting that Brahman is the embodiment of the problem with the DDS Press Turn System: Making bosses lose all their turns is kind of broken. I agree this is probably by design though, since the optional bosses were fairly tough.

I always thought it was a shame that the plot, which was fairly unique among SMT games, got reduced to "beat up god and use Let's Positive Thinking to make everything better". A shame since it is coming from a game that opened up with a world where people had to eat each other.

Great job with the LP, Dragonatrix.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

CmdrKing posted:

Ha, almost forgot about this.

So about that...

I've seen this game before. At that time people were getting worried that we would continue the game with only 2 characters; I was trying to calm them down without saying any "spoilers".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Feinne posted:

Well, it was kind of mirrored in the reveal of Schroedinger's true identity.

Razorwind
May 20, 2010
so, judeo christian God is an angry face, Hindu God is a space train with multiple faces?

I do like these games, even with the slightly weak ending, but yeah, no idea there was so much spin-off/supplementary material.

great LP man, one/two more SMT games down. What's even left of them to LP now?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I never noticed the Nocturne Terminals. That... That sure is a thing.

Those terminals are actually prayer wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq1fVo9YPnM

Making them spin count as making the prayer written on it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Petiso posted:

Making them spin count as making the prayer written on it.

It's one of those 'tricks' in religion where you loophole the poo poo out of something.
Like in Judaism in how they get around the Sabbath. In Israel some elevators run constantly and stop at every floor on the Sabbath because operating the elevator counts as work and Jews on the Sabbath are not allowed to do work. So they get around that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Razorwind posted:

so, judeo christian God is an angry face, Hindu God is a space train with multiple faces?

I do like these games, even with the slightly weak ending, but yeah, no idea there was so much spin-off/supplementary material.

great LP man, one/two more SMT games down. What's even left of them to LP now?

SMT2 could probably use another pass, since the one in the archives is going on 8 years old now (started 2007, apparently) and the screenshots are pretty small. Megami Tensei I&II received a translation last year, and I think a couple of the Last Bible games have been hacked. I don't think anyone's done Soul Hackers yet either, but 3DS games are a pain and a half to record. Other than that, it's mostly stuff that's not been translated into English at all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

You forgot SMT IV and Devil Survivor, unless there's a LP going on that I missed.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Devil survivor 1 has had at least two attempted LPs I'm aware of, but both fizzled pretty early. Understandably so, game is long and easily falls into participation traps.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought one of them had succeeded, or at least come pretty close to it. You'd need to do at least, what, 4-5 playthroughs of the game though, not to mention the additional content in the 3DS version. And both that and SMTIV (which I'm ashamed to admit I forgot) fall into the same trap of being on the 3DS. So unless someone with more time and money than sense comes along, I don't see them being done around here for a while.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Going through the list, there are also: Persona, Persona 2 (Innocent Sin, not sure if Eternal Punishment will be included), Persona Q, DemiKids, and if... (if that translation patch ever gets done.)

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks - this was awesome.

I read through the earlier LP of this game, but going through it again, with different commentary and really watching for the telegraphed/foreshadowed items, really made it far more comprehensible.

Thinking on the prayer wheel, that Petiso linked; the prayer is 'May all beings be at peace, may all beings be free from the illusion of separation.'

Sera was horribly isolated for most of the game and back story. She spends most of her time in a liquid bath with tubes, and she's going to die sooner than later for it. Her mind is exposed for others to see, while she can't see theirs (and arguably, can't see her own as a precept of this religion/philosophy is that one can not "see" one's own mind, as the mind is the observer trying to observe the observer). No one is with her, yet she is told and believes she's doing this to help others; she believes all others are more important than her.

On the flip side, Serph is a selfish power-hungry bastard - he's the other side of Alone, the kind where he's deliberately held himself apart from others and used them as tools. He has made himself more important than everyone else in his eyes.

They need each other to reach enlightenment. And in their fused form, in a way need their opposite in the form Schroedinger. (I don't know how quite how to explain this, but it makes a form of symmetry in my head.) Schroedinger's cat thought-experiment hinges upon the idea of the observer - due to superpositions and wave theory, until the observer sees what is the box, the cat is alive and dead. This links back to the idea of the observer trying to view itself, a paradoxical situation.

All of which might be off base, but seems like one could read all that into it. (I also might be trying for the harder explanation, and Occam's Razor would cut this down to size.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

We're getting down to games that are either hard/tedious to play (Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, SMT II) or on a 3DS (SMTIV, Soul Hackers) - as much as I love SMT II and Kyuuyaku, they're both slogs, between the dungeon layouts and the old-school design. Kyuuyaku especially. (Given that it's the NES games with facelifts and a few upgrades but not much.) They'd be great to watch as LPs, but whoever LPs them is in for a lot of work.

Mraagvpeine, if... has a completed LP here: http://lparchive.org/Shin-Megami-Tensei-if/ but it is missing at least one or two of the routes/endings. Not that I'm complaining, the LPer translated the game for us to read, and that's impressive.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mraagvpeine posted:

if... (if that translation patch ever gets done.)
I'm still anticipating this. I'm sure it'll be like SMT II levels of tedious, but god that game looks pretty cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So I'm not the only one who actively hated the actual gameplay of SMTII? That's a relief.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

So I'm not the only one who actively hated the actual gameplay of SMTII? That's a relief.

It's tedious, and not helped in the slightest by the sheer length of the dungeons. They're as bad or worse than the dungeons in Strange Journey. And I say this as someone who adores SMT II. (for atmosphere, for graphics, for the crazy story...)

I feel like a remake of SMT II that cleaned up the system so it was more like Soul Hackers or Nocturne/DDS:AT and made the dungeons less...ridiculous, well, it would be outstanding. But, alas, ATLUS doesn't do remakes*, and it'll probably be another decade before we get another SMT game. (Seeing as Persona is what brings in the big bucks these days)

*As far as I've seen, ATLUS' remakes are minor graphic facelifts and minor system updates - see Soul Hackers, or Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei. Nothing that genuine remakes the game into something modern.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's weird is I really liked SMT, the original. I also much preferred the atmosphere where it sorta started out as urban fantasy and then went full on post-apocalyptic nightmare as the game progressed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What's weird is I really liked SMT, the original. I also much preferred the atmosphere where it sorta started out as urban fantasy and then went full on post-apocalyptic nightmare as the game progressed.

Oh, that opening sequence it has is just killer. There's a strange murder in the park, and the place is locked down. Then you're attacked in the mall, and that's not to mention the whole dream sequence. Honestly, as much as I love SMT II, SMT I is the game I'd give a lot for a good remake.

As it is, thank god there's a hack that lets you open up the mini-map with one button press, instead of three.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

We'll see something or other from a non-Persona SMT series sooner than a decade but who knows if it'll be awesome (Raidou vs King Abbadon best ATLUS game ever) or utter dogshit (Strange Journey).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, SMT II sucks to play. The plot and the atmosphere are amazing for a game made in 1994 so it's still got a place in my heart, but gently caress actually playing that game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Feinne posted:

We'll see something or other from a non-Persona SMT series sooner than a decade but who knows if it'll be awesome (Raidou vs King Abbadon best ATLUS game ever) or utter dogshit (Strange Journey).

Whichever it is I have full confidence that you will LP it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

Whichever it is I have full confidence that you will LP it.

If you're saying that to Feinne, odds are he's going to do Arena Ultimax.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Still need to find the time to play it but yeah I'm hoping to.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Speaking of which, the Arena LP seems to have disappeared from the archive. Any word on what happened?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

Speaking of which, the Arena LP seems to have disappeared from the archive. Any word on what happened?

Odd, it should still be around.

EDIT: Here you go.

What might have happened is they actually went back and fixed archives (remember this was around when the archives kind of exploded) and it moved to where and when it should have been.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2015

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Not those Archives. These archives.. I distinctly remember the arena LP being put there at one point.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

Not those Archives. These archives.. I distinctly remember the arena LP being put there at one point.

I don't recall honestly, let me look through my stuff and see if it should have been.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I always thought it was a shame that the plot, which was fairly unique among SMT games, got reduced to "beat up god and use Let's Positive Thinking to make everything better". A shame since it is coming from a game that opened up with a world where people had to eat each other.

I have mixed thoughts on the ending. On the one hand, it leaves some sense of mystery with the whole "one word" thing, and completes the reincarnation concept by having Seraph transcend space-time and the cycle of reincarnation, becoming one with the universe. I like it when games manage to tackle spiritual concepts in a way that isn't completely tacky, and I think DDS as a whole did a very good job of that.

The scene on the ground, however, was way too Disney. The game can't decide whether to be profound or cheesy, basically.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh yeah, I don't know if it was really obvious/pointed out, but while the combined Seraph did achieve enlightenment and all that, Sera and Serph individually did not and are thus back on Earth. It's kind of a weird separation really.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's pretty cool that your mysterious advisor is actually an enlightened you from another universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HGH posted:

Oh yeah, I don't know if it was really obvious/pointed out, but while the combined Seraph did achieve enlightenment and all that, Sera and Serph individually did not and are thus back on Earth. It's kind of a weird separation really.

This game is so weird :psyduck:

• Locked thread