Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems like rockets that work the way rockets actually work will be more viable, though. Might not need giant fuckoff boosters as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Most of the time when I decide to strap more boosters or fuel tanks and engines it decreases TWR and I can't get it to work efficiently anyways.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Is there a list somewhere of how much delta-v is needed to reach specific planets? I find that getting somewhere is not that hard. Having enough delta-v to come back however is a problem.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Asparagus staging will always be beneficial, it has little to do with aerodynamics. The reason we don't do it in real life is that in-flight fuel transfer (like so many other things) is a whole lot harder in reality than KSP makes it out to be.
Isn't there a cost issue too?

From what I've seen, most aspy staging involves strapping 7 fully functioning rockets together and nonchalantly throwing 6 away before you've even reached orbit.

Dalael posted:

Is there a list somewhere of how much delta-v is needed to reach specific planets? I find that getting somewhere is not that hard. Having enough delta-v to come back however is a problem.
I've seen one somewhere, try the wiki.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

tooterfish posted:

Isn't there a cost issue too?

From what I've seen, most aspy staging involves strapping 7 fully functioning rockets together and nonchalantly throwing 6 away before you've even reached orbit.

If Space-X manages to solve their landing issues, this may not be a problem for much longer.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dalael posted:

Go to Google, and type "ksp map" and you'll find (likely the very first image result) a subway-esque map, showing all the DV numbers you'll need, as well as encounters where you can use aerobraking to slow down by crashing through the atmosphere of certain planets. But those numbers are now off, because of the new atmospheric model soooo.... more of a guideline I guess?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can potentially reuse boosters even without SpaceX's landing system. The shuttle SRBs were reusable, tugs would pick them out of the water and bring them back for refurbishment.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Dalael posted:

Yes but in about 24 hours all of those lists will need updating :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

You can potentially reuse boosters even without SpaceX's landing system. The shuttle SRBs were reusable, tugs would pick them out of the water and bring them back for refurbishment.

Doesn't that increase the risk of them being damaged when impacting the water, even if multiple parachutes are used? That and maybe some corrosion risks over time due to the salt water?

Otacon posted:

Go to Google, and type "ksp map" and you'll find (likely the very first image result) a subway-esque map, showing all the DV numbers you'll need, as well as encounters where you can use aerobraking to slow down by crashing through the atmosphere of certain planets. But those numbers are now off, because of the new atmospheric model soooo.... more of a guideline I guess?

Thanks! Found it right away. Hopefully I'll manage some degrees of success thanks to this.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question: will there be a stock version of kerbal engineer?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well, they're inspected and tested pretty thoroughly. I'm sure some were damaged but overall it's still cheaper/more efficient than building new ones every time.

I assume, anyway. It was the shuttle so it may have just been a clusterfuck. The Challenger had nothing to do with the SRB being reused so as far as I know it never caused any problems.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Otacon posted:

The new aerodynamic model, from what Shimmy was streaming last night, reduces the Δv needed to get into orbit by at least 1km⋅s⁻¹; you used to need 4,500m⋅s⁻¹ to get into LKO; now you can easily do it with just above 3km⋅s⁻¹.

Typing "LKO" makes me think of Randy Orton doing sick moves on Jeb in orbit, btw.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Aren't SRBs much simpler (hence cheaper and more robust) than LRBs though?

AFAIK parachuting an LRB down is still likely to damage it enough that you probably wouldn't want to sit on top of it again, that's why SpaceX is trying to land them under power.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Grand Fromage posted:

The shuttle SRBs were just empty tubes after use. An intricate liquid fuel engine assembly combined with salt water is not a good combination.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, they're inspected and tested pretty thoroughly. I'm sure some were damaged but overall it's still cheaper/more efficient than building new ones every time.

I assume, anyway. It was the shuttle so it may have just been a clusterfuck. The Challenger had nothing to do with the SRB being reused so as far as I know it never caused any problems.

From memory, cost of recovering the shuttle boosters alone basically negated the savings from re-using them. The shuttle boosters were a bit more complicated than a metal tube, but still pretty cheap to make. They basically broke even I think.

This basically goes for everything shuttle related. The savings for re-using anything were pretty much always matched or exceeded by the refurbishments/recertifications needed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think spacex was actually planning on using asparagus originally with the falcon heavy but ditched it due to engineering problems.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Maxmaps posted:

Max, you are an evil, evil man.

On another note, I have a huge chubby for 1.0 now after watching the Manley preview.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah...it's going to be the wild west again with regards to getting anywhere. The basic orbital transfer dv will probably remain the same, but your rocket's dv will change due to the engine changes. Plus aerobraking will be complicated unless you design for it with shields. And of course the entries for dv to orbit for all bodies with atmospheres just got chucked out the window.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that I never bothered to learn any of the values to begin with it's going to be pretty normal for me, I just build something rocket shaped and if it looks about right, I launch it.

Though I'm hoping that integrated ISRU and better aero will help with making refueling stations so I can cheat by just nuclear engining my way everywhere.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Robzilla posted:

Max, you are an evil, evil man.

On another note, I have a huge chubby for 1.0 now after watching the Manley preview.

Is there a link for that? I'm watching WinterOwl's and I'm pretty pumped.

Also, curse you all for releasing this at the start of a work week. :-(

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Heat is now also a thing and not just re-entry heat either, heat from engines travels around the rocket so it's possible parts of your ship will explode while, for example, burning in space with nerva engines (as seen on twitch, guy could only use 25-50% thrust, higher and the fuel tank connected to the engine would explode). So radiator are apparently a thing now - and a radiator can be anything you slap on it, it just needs to radiate heat away from the craft.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

Unless you're changing the entire solar system, only the dV values for getting to orbit from planets with atmosphere will change, right?

Shanakin posted:

From memory, cost of recovering the shuttle boosters alone basically negated the savings from re-using them. The shuttle boosters were a bit more complicated than a metal tube, but still pretty cheap to make. They basically broke even I think.
Yep, the shuttle boosters were basically reusable in name only. The cost of recovering, refurbishing and refuelling them was pretty much the same as just building new ones. But I guess it sounded good in front of congress.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 26, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Ledenko posted:

Heat is now also a thing and not just re-entry heat either, heat from engines travels around the rocket so it's possible parts of your ship will explode while, for example, burning in space with nerva engines (as seen on twitch, guy could only use 25-50% thrust, higher and the fuel tank connected to the engine would explode). So radiator are apparently a thing now - and a radiator can be anything you slap on it, it just needs to radiate heat away from the craft.

That looked super frustrating. without going to the debug screen > physics and turning on temp readouts, there was no feedback that the heat of the engines were causing the fuel tanks to explode.

As a player I would have had no idea. The engines themselves were far from overheating.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Oh my lord the resource stuff looks so sexy.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I've yet to see a streamer find twr/dv values in VAB and general consensus from chat is that they're not in.

Was that removed? I thought there was a compromise for 1.0?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Falken posted:

If fairing parts will always separate into a million pieces, then I hope someone fixes that with a mod or ill still be using procedural fairings

That's a per-fairing option IIRC.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OAquinas posted:

Yeah...it's going to be the wild west again with regards to getting anywhere. The basic orbital transfer dv will probably remain the same, but your rocket's dv will change due to the engine changes. Plus aerobraking will be complicated unless you design for it with shields. And of course the entries for dv to orbit for all bodies with atmospheres just got chucked out the window.

http://imgur.com/a/i1fMz/noscript

We learned in the 90s that you can aerobreak without shields (this is also true in KSP if you don't try to do stupidly deep dives into the atmosphere)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Technically you can reenter without heatshields too, you just need to use a bunch of fuel for it.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

That's a per-fairing option IIRC.

Not in this version unfortunately. It was apparently on the list but didn't make it into 1.0 before the deadline. Harvester mentioned it in the chat. So they know it is a big request and they are going to do it, but it won't be in until the next patch.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I would really love an option to automatically refuel any ship in LKO without the tedium of manually doing a manual refuel mission. I know routine mission manager mod exists but I mean without even dicking about with recording, just click a craft, pay some money (presumably expensive, as the premium for laziness) and refuel.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Consider me nostalgia'd. Really curious to see what 1.0 plays like.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Inacio posted:

Remember when you could escape kerbins SOI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6HN6TcH9MM

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Maxmaps posted:

:swoon:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does anyone know the release time?

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Splicer posted:

Does anyone know the release time?

No. Just "Monday."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guy Montag posted:

No. Just "Monday."
More like Munday :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Scott is streaming on KSPTV right now. For flexible values of streaming. :v:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oh great MORE planes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Inacio posted:

I've been playing KSP since back when there was no Mun. No idea when they added it or what exact version I started on (I could find out by finding the thread here that originally tuned me in to this game), but it's been years. I'm really excited to see it enter 1.0 and I truly hope it gets a lot more people to buy it.

I'm also looking forward to learning the new aero and finally diving into spaceplanes. The new atmosphere only requires about 2500 dV to escape, judging from streams. Have Duna, Laythe or Eve seen any change in their atmospheres like Kerbin has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Scott Manley is destroying 1.0 hahahah

that surfboard move :brnsndcstl:

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 26, 2015