Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

OH HAY GUYS ITS SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION MONTH! GET READY FOR MANDATOR-I MEAN VOLUNTEER SDB'S, MANDATORY ALL HANDS, AND PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITIES TO TAKE A STAND!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sounds like you're fat to me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know a dude who is 3 inches smaller than me but had like 50 pounds on me, he is still in the cg!

Dude is a jacked as gently caress BM that would literary eat insane portions and workout almost everyday

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh no doubt. But at least I am strong as gently caress.

Also there is nothing more hilarious then being told "look to the left look to right one of you is a rapist." That and "not in my Coast Guard."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We didn't get the whole 'look left look right' thing, but we did get to yell "NOT IN MY COAST GUARD!" not once, but twice! :bang::bang::bang::bang:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

oh also I got voluntold to be a part of this upcoming CCTI. hooray.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

oh also I got voluntold to be a part of this upcoming CCTI. hooray.

Bring some money.........

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Bring some money.........

yeah, that's what I'm wondering...How much is this bullshit going to cost me? I know the dinner, but that's it.

I also liked being ordered by a Chief- "Hey, so we need you guys to be there on Monday to fill the coolers with ice and provide drinks. Thanks"

Sure, don't bother throwing in a loving Sir or please or anything like that. I forgot I completely work for you and this whole military rank thing is just gone by the wayside. I'll remember that the next time you boss around a non-rate like they're a piece of trash that deserves zero respect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: at letting a chief tell you what to do.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

yeah, that's what I'm wondering...How much is this bullshit going to cost me? I know the dinner, but that's it.

I also liked being ordered by a Chief- "Hey, so we need you guys to be there on Monday to fill the coolers with ice and provide drinks. Thanks"

Sure, don't bother throwing in a loving Sir or please or anything like that. I forgot I completely work for you and this whole military rank thing is just gone by the wayside. I'll remember that the next time you boss around a non-rate like they're a piece of trash that deserves zero respect.

hey man sorry for this incoming truthbomb: if you let a loving chief step on your commission that is entirely your loving fault

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I could honestly give two shits about it, it's not like we weren't going to help him out for the start of CCTI since we're a part of it.

Apparently I was more mad about the whole thing after a few beers last night though. Oh well.

Time to crank out the loving OER-I love coming up with poo poo for a 3 month period because my boss is leaving.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I could honestly give two shits about it, it's not like we weren't going to help him out for the start of CCTI since we're a part of it.

Apparently I was more mad about the whole thing after a few beers last night though. Oh well.

Time to crank out the loving OER-I love coming up with poo poo for a 3 month period because my boss is leaving.

I'll take it pm bud

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

It varies. How gooney is the chief. If hes a trolling mother fucker go start sucking some dick on streetcorners.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

How much money did you end up losing

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of moneis there are doing a 10000 for a 6 year re-enlistment bonuses for OS and FS. I may or may not qualify :shrug:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

How much money did you end up losing

Not much yet, but it's just started. They're mostly doing donations and fundraisers now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Speaking of moneis there are doing a 10000 for a 6 year re-enlistment bonuses for OS and FS. I may or may not qualify :shrug:

6 years for 10,000? I remember when BM2 was an extra 20k or something to re-up. I only got 6k for four more years when I did as a BM2, and it went away right after that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

6 years for 10,000? I remember when BM2 was an extra 20k or something to re-up. I only got 6k for four more years when I did as a BM2, and it went away right after that.

well yeah, but those money happy wasting days are over but OS3/FS3 have really high attrition rates and we are bleeding more E4s then we can train. A lovely carrot in a stick is better than no carrot in a stick.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

well yeah, but those money happy wasting days are over but OS3/FS3 have really high attrition rates and we are bleeding more E4s then we can train. A lovely carrot in a stick is better than no carrot in a stick.

I dunno man, it doesn't work out to being much after taxes. You'd make better money by getting out and doing contract work or going full-on civil service.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

I dunno man, it doesn't work out to being much after taxes. You'd make better money by getting out and doing contract work or going full-on civil service.

Its a good thing I am in no need for money and I like my current job.

and if for some dumb reason i can put that money into TSP or a mutual funds or something.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Has the Coast Guard Enlisted Association always been a thing? I never heard of it as a non-rate, at my station, or on the cutter before I commissioned. Then I went to Yorktown as an Ensign and the CGEA was doing some raffle for ipads, and since then (around 2012) it seems to have taken off everywhere.

Maybe it's just the Sector life? YN's trying to feel a part of something? I get the CPOA (pay for our beers and pay for CCTI, etc), I get the wardroom (pay for people's shoulder boards and end of tour gifts and random poo poo), but I don't get the purpose of the CGEA.

On a disgruntled note, I was just going to buy all of my guys leaving oars (because apparently people at Sectors have deemed it necessary to go above just buying a loving plaque and now want to spend $100 or whatever it is on an oar for everyone), but my Chief said he wanted to do something unique, so I said 'alright, go for it-as long as everyone gets something.'

One dude got a hockey stick signed by his favorite team, and two others that are leaving in 2 weeks have nothing yet because poo poo hasn't been organized and plans have fallen through or shits late. Too late to order an oar now, and I'm going to be pissed if we end up just giving the guys (well one's a shitbird that's going to bitch about his LOC as an E-5, but the other one's an awesome first class) a framed picture or something.

I don't get this loving place. I was happy to have a nice plaque that said I was at XX unit for so many years. Apparently that's just not good enough anymore.

edit: also, CCTI is loving hilarious. There's some officers that clearly don't give a gently caress and are just checking the box, but me and another one are actually trying to help the PCPO's with poo poo and they just continue to mess stuff up. There's literally zero organization to the whole thing. "Hey, Chief-let me know where you need me and when-I want to help you guys as much as I can" "Ok, sir-thanks!" "Hey Chief, I didn't know you were fundraising today. I would have loved to help out." "Oh, sorry sir...completely forgot"

The other JO has been reaching out to Chiefs that have gone through CCTI and they're all like 'this happens every loving time. It's always a train wreck. I appreciate you trying to help, but I'm not surprised at all."

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 13, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Has the Coast Guard Enlisted Association always been a thing?

Yes.

quote:

Maybe it's just the Sector life? YN's trying to feel a part of something?

Yes.

quote:

...but I don't get the purpose of the CGEA.

Yes.

quote:

On a disgruntled note, I was just going to buy all of my guys leaving oars (because apparently people at Sectors have deemed it necessary to go above just buying a loving plaque and now want to spend $100 or whatever it is on an oar for everyone), but my Chief said he wanted to do something unique, so I said 'alright, go for it-as long as everyone gets something.'

e: gonna take my response to this to PM

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

haha, well I'm glad my initial thoughts on the CGEA were correct.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

haha, well I'm glad my initial thoughts on the CGEA were correct.

Occasionally I would see the CPOA work together with CGEA... when CPOA didn't want to do it, but had to be involved to look good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I mean most of the time I've seen people involved in the CGEA it correlates closely to either

1) They're putting in for OCS and want something extra to put in
2) It's written all over their bullets for a marking period

The CGEA at my current unit is coming up with a loving challenge coin for crying out loud. I can't even wrap my head around that one. Like the E-6's are gonna shake hands and give a coin to an E-4 when they leave or something?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

On a separate note, there's a CAMI at my unit that was a reservist enlisted and just got picked up for SRDC a bit ago. He just found out his drill unit is going to be PSU and now he's freaking out about getting deployed. All I could say was 'welp, at least you'll be getting paid better than a GS9 for a bit...enjoy sand I guess.'

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

On a separate note, there's a CAMI at my unit that was a reservist enlisted and just got picked up for SRDC a bit ago. He just found out his drill unit is going to be PSU and now he's freaking out about getting deployed. All I could say was 'welp, at least you'll be getting paid better than a GS9 for a bit...enjoy sand I guess.'

GS-9 salary isn't very good, so that's not that hard to top.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well there went about $100. I was only somewhat required to give about $50 though-rest was fundraising.

Initiation was fun-dinner was actually really good, but I won't volunteer for it again.

mackensie
Apr 17, 2002
I barely look at this thread any more. The Coast Guard is a distant memory now lol and besides, the service is pretty much unrecognizable at this point which is fine. Life goes on. Anyways, I found myself on Cape Cod a few weeks back and discovered this little Coast Guard museum: http://www.coastguardheritagemuseum.org/ It's actually a pretty good museum - well worth the visit. They have a huge model of the Campbell and on the fantail. you have little tiny non-rates dumping garbage and what appear to be torpedo launchers. Are these a thing or the model maker's fantasy? The torpedo tubes. Not the non-rates haha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

From what i remember, the class never had torpedo tubes. Maybe they where supposed to have them but where removed during the design phase? I have no idea.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

They're Harpoon Launchers, looking at them not on my phone, so I bet someone took the fact that the WHEC's had Harpoons (for one glorious moment) and stuck them on the MEC

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

The old WPG-32 had MK 44 torpedoes when it was decommed, so it's possible someone got confused between the two weapons, and the two Campbells.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dolphin makes a "hard landing" at SFO. Looks like everybody's alright, but that's a hell of a hard landing.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Yikes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

But I seriously panicked for a bit when I learned the news, but I am glad the crew is OK.

And no I wasn't on watch.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
all the grammar and spelling mistakes really make it

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Is that dolphin toast or can they fix it?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQmllwTKtqU

A completely unbelievable story if not for the fact that it happened. 36500 is still around too, which is impressive (albeit maintained by the aux).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQmllwTKtqU

A completely unbelievable story if not for the fact that it happened. 36500 is still around too, which is impressive (albeit maintained by the aux).

Yeah they brought the 36500 over to woods hole as it made its way around a few years ago. Just to think how they stuck so many people in there was pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

nwin posted:

Yeah they brought the 36500 over to woods hole as it made its way around a few years ago. Just to think how they stuck so many people in there was pretty impressive.

http://www.cg36500.org/

• Locked thread