Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

beats posted:

^ Nice stuff man. Where you studying? Never really ventured out of the draw threads before - lots of cool stuff in here! :allears:

Been slacking a lot lately so figured I'd go back to basics and step away from digital for a while. Forced myself to sit down this week and crank out some simple still lifes. Behold - the wonky teapot...and some onions. Exciting eh?

Really frustrating to notice such blatant drawing issues when you think you're nearly done - old habits die hard I guess. Stupidly attempted this one as well but honestly don't think I have the patience to finish it - http://i.imgur.com/7shY37f.jpg

Exciting as hell! These are terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Today was the last day, and this is my latest thing after 20 hours-ish.

this is the scene I painted, from a bit closer than where I stood.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 28, 2015

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Snatch

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR
Thumbnail of a Dark Souls watercolor piece I'm working on. I'm about half done with the inking now.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Caveman Cat posted:

Thumbnail of a Dark Souls watercolor piece I'm working on. I'm about half done with the inking now.

That looks like it's shaping up to pretty badass. Is that Darkroot Basin?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I love this please do more.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Haven't drawn anything in what feels like for-fuckin-ever.

Da Vinci show was in town. I make it a policy not to copy other people's art / drawings but in this case... how could I not?
These are around 10 minutes each or so. Hard to dawdle when the tour guide kept coming around with a group. Photos not allowed!

His hatching is so precise. It was amazing to see the real thing, after seeing reproductions in books for so many years.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 6, 2015

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR

OhnOmyMuddaFada posted:

Thanks~ There are boundaries between two values, and sometimes they're quite sharp, but they're never truly a line. So if you place a line in a sketch, make sure it's not darker than the value boundary it represents.

I made the mistake of using dark line quite a bit in that last drawing of the gypsy woman, which I regret.

Below is a recent assignment in my Illustration class, ten days ago (ish). I used a magazine picture of Nina Dobrev and just repeated the eyes and mouth. It was a good exercise in not using line, and instead rendering the values in the picture. I plan to do more copied images like this, for value practice. It's not easy, though, since magazines and glamour pictures have a lot of airbrush / photoshop, making the changes in value very subtle and hard to reproduce with pencil. I placed lines while planning the image, but made sure the lines would blend into the values they were placeholders for.

Those are all looking really good, great work the lighting/highlights.

Glukeose posted:

That looks like it's shaping up to pretty badass. Is that Darkroot Basin?

Thanks! And yeah, it's that general area, wherever has the demon foliage and knights everywhere.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
Today, I realized that glazing isn't easy.

Most of the shades on the pic have been somewhat washed away.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

And this is that study I was talking about.

Herakles statue study, done in pens only (I dislike ink pens). I want to do this in a zinc/bronze intalgio etching tbh.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
I know this is immature as all hell, but i first read that as "I dislike ink penis" and for a brief moment when i stared at that guys dick, i agreed.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Buffalo Bill

Nude fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 20, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ Buffalo , or "Platypus With Moustache"? hmmm ^^^

Reworked an old drawing for printing. Lightened up the background, whilst trying to keep the original texture intact.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
An attempt was made

And some sketches:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

heres a watercolor i did about not sleeping

sorry big cell phone pic

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A sketch in oil from this morning.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
Was that painted from a photo or a live model?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

live model of my own brain - oh. oh...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Couple of sketches from the bar and a fish from my imagination.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TheNBucket posted:

Was that painted from a photo or a live model?

That was from a photo reference. I try to paint from life as much as possible, but it gets expensive.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

smallmouth posted:

That was from a photo reference. I try to paint from life as much as possible, but it gets expensive.

I'd love to see the photo.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

TheNBucket posted:

I'd love to see the photo.

I got it from this book. Art Model Studio, Vol. 4 by Redline Media, LLC
https://itun.es/us/NstnU.l

The model's name is Melissa Troutt.

Vol. 1 is really good too, but I'm unsure who the model is.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Working on a small portrait. Any critiques/suggestions would be great as I'll probably work on it a bit tomorrow morning. Going to lighten up the midtones + highlights before I put color on.

e: Next stage:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 3, 2015

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Working on a small portrait. Any critiques/suggestions would be great as I'll probably work on it a bit tomorrow morning. Going to lighten up the midtones + highlights before I put color on.

Hey me too! I like yours so far. Just wanted to clue you in that the right eye seems to me a little high? It might stand out if it's colored. Take my suggestion with a grain of salt I suppose.

Nude fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 30, 2015

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

e: Previous stage:

Nude posted:

Hey me too! I like yours so far. Just wanted to clue you in that the right eye seems to me a little high? It might stand out if it's colored. Take my suggestion with a grain of salt I suppose.

Progress (note that I brightened it up enough that I don't have to set my camera to stupid-high ISO):

Next stage:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 3, 2015

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

Progress (note that I brightened it up enough that I don't have to set my camera to stupid-high ISO):

what colors are you using? Titanium white and raw umber?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TheNBucket posted:

what colors are you using? Titanium white and raw umber?
Raw umber and Weber Permalba, which uses both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as pigments.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple new sketches in oil.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

These are crossposted in daily drawing but I don't usually draw anything more than doodles.

Health At Any Size

Nazi Cyborg Fat Acceptance

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I haven’t had much time due to school these past couple months, but an upcoming miniatures show provided me the opportunity knock out a couple of pieces without much of a time investment needed.

"Speechless"
7x5 Scratchboard

"Fly High"
7x5 Scratchboard

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DEO3 posted:

I haven’t had much time due to school these past couple months, but an upcoming miniatures show provided me the opportunity knock out a couple of pieces without much of a time investment needed.

"Speechless"
7x5 Scratchboard

"Fly High"
7x5 Scratchboard

Cool. Is the texture in these just from stippling?

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

Cool. Is the texture in these just from stippling?

Mostly airbrush.

There's some stippling, but I've tried to move away from that technique after finishing this piece a couple of months ago:

I spent probably two months trying to stipple the fog/lights but could never get it to look the way I wanted. Eventually I gave up, sanded off all my work, bought an airbrush - which worked much better, and swore I'd never spend months stippling a piece again.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DEO3 posted:

I spent probably two months trying to stipple the fog/lights but could never get it to look the way I wanted. Eventually I gave up, sanded off all my work, bought an airbrush - which worked much better, and swore I'd never spend months stippling a piece again.
Hey, if you've found a way that's less likely to give you a repetitive motion injury, that's great!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DEO3 posted:

Mostly airbrush.

There's some stippling, but I've tried to move away from that technique after finishing this piece a couple of months ago:

Nice work. I like contrasty stuff like this. Are prints available?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Definitely got my hands dirty here. And my legs. My first time doing any kind of "splatter painting" or whatever. Really I just made a big mess on the lawn and wasted a lot of cheap paint.

crappy cell phone pix

full http://i.imgur.com/ciMJcMb.jpg
full http://i.imgur.com/J2rllWy.jpg
full http://i.imgur.com/LYbQSWv.jpg
full http://i.imgur.com/Xsw1icS.jpg

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 2, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fish inked with a real pen but colored with photoshop.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"

DEO3 posted:

"Speechless"
7x5 Scratchboard

"Fly High"
7x5 Scratchboard

I'm no expert on these things, but to me this is some outstanding work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Life drawing on the left with pilot parallel pen. On the right are some sketches from imagination using a brush pen.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Previous stage:

First layer of color. The color has dulled down the contrast but I will reestablish that and add more color variation in the next (and ideally, last) layer.

Next stage:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Another in oil.